Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8006 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Jean Grey's Renaissance

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anyone else feel it? While Jean has been primarily on the backburner during most of Jonathan Hickman's run, there has been a subtle yet noticeable shift in how she is being depicted. It started when Hickman chose to spotlight her by making her the first member of the Quiet Council (QC) to voluntarily step down from her position to fight alongside her friends, family, and mutants as a whole. Moreover, Hickman underscored her new position as a leader by having her not only refuse the offer of reappointment to the QC but also by making her the founder and co-leader of the new X-Men team, a moment he could have easily given to Scott.

I was optimistic when we found out Gerry Duggan would be taking over primary writing duties for X-Men and, especially, for Jean - he had already written some wonderful things for her in Cable and Planet Size X-Men - but I have to admit, in just three issues, he has completely floored me with his depiction of her. Duggan has done a remarkable job of establishing her not only as a savvy, decisive, confident, and grounded leader but also as the team's sage mother without resorting to patronizing her. His rendering of Jean gives the impression that he has only scratched the surface of what he has in store for her. I have missed this Jean for quite some time.

This tweet received a couple of hundred likes, so it seems a few people agree.

How does everyone else feel about the new X-Men reboot and how Jean's being portrayed in it?

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Olorun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obsidian-shard: She's been cool for the past few years, tbf I really grew up with her as phoenix and never as just jean grey so I really didn't care much for her as a mutant and instead grew a liking to Emma and betsy and storm.

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olorun said:

@obsidian-shard: She's been cool for the past few years, tbf I really grew up with her as phoenix and never as just jean grey so I really didn't care much for her as a mutant and instead grew a liking to Emma and betsy and storm.

I am sorry you feel that way. Perhaps you should delve into her history outside of her connections with the Phoenix Force. She is a fascinating character with an a vast and intricate history.

Olorun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obsidian-shard: I've read some of her stuff, really doesn't appeal to me. Honestly I'm more interested in hope and cable and their journey in the future, second coming+x-force(remender) +messiah war+messiah complex were peak X-men for me(krakoa is a close 2nd).

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olorun said:

@obsidian-shard: I've read some of her stuff, really doesn't appeal to me. Honestly I'm more interested in hope and cable and their journey in the future, second coming+x-force(remender) +messiah war+messiah complex were peak X-men for me(krakoa is a close 2nd).

Did you read her arc throughout All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy (The Trial of Jean Grey), Jean Grey, and X-Men: Blue, culminating with X-Men: Red? It's one of my favorite swathes of her history.

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pepe Larraz RTed this tweet like he did the one in the OP:

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else feel it? While Jean has been primarily on the backburner during most of Jonathan Hickman's run, there has been a subtle yet noticeable shift in how she is being depicted. It started when Hickman chose to spotlight her by making her the first member of the Quiet Council (QC) to voluntarily step down from her position to fight alongside her friends, family, and mutants as a whole. Moreover, Hickman underscored her new position as a leader by having her not only refuse the offer of reappointment to the QC but also by making her the founder and co-leader of the new X-Men team, a moment he could have easily given to Scott.

I was optimistic when we found out Gerry Duggan would be taking over primary writing duties for X-Men and, especially, for Jean - he had already written some wonderful things for her in Cable and Planet Size X-Men - but I have to admit, in just three issues, he has completely floored me with his depiction of her. Duggan has done a remarkable job of establishing her not only as a savvy, decisive, confident, and grounded leader but also as the team's sage mother without resorting to patronizing her. His rendering of Jean gives the impression that he has only scratched the surface of what he has in store for her. I have missed this Jean for quite some time.

This tweet received a couple of hundred likes, so it seems a few people agree.

How does everyone else feel about the new X-Men reboot and how Jean's being portrayed in it?

Well I would not exactly say she's been in the backbrner for most of the time. Right from the get-go she has been a prominent character. She was prominent in HOX-POX and was made a quiet council member. She was appearing in X-Men and was one of the more important characters in X-Force. She got that Giant Size issue with Emma. Then she started appearing in Cable as well. Then with XoS, she had her fair share of appearances despite not being one of the sword bearers, and then we see in the end she and scott basically save the day and that led into the stuff you already mentioned. Like really, she's been very much present, so I don't have too much of a complaint about her portrayal since HOX other than the bullshit throuple thing with logan. But I definitely love where she's at right now. However, I don't want to get too optimistic coz this whole lives and deaths of Wolverine could fuck up the current status quo and Jean could end up not in a good place.

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I would not exactly say she's been in the backbrner for most of the time. Right from the get-go she has been a prominent character. She was prominent in HOX-POX and was made a quiet council member. She was appearing in X-Men and was one of the more important characters in X-Force. She got that Giant Size issue with Emma. Then she started appearing in Cable as well. Then with XoS, she had her fair share of appearances despite not being one of the sword bearers, and then we see in the end she and scott basically save the day and that led into the stuff you already mentioned. Like really, she's been very much present, so I don't have too much of a complaint about her portrayal since HOX other than the bullshit throuple thing with logan. But I definitely love where she's at right now. However, I don't want to get too optimistic coz this whole lives and deaths of Wolverine could fuck up the current status quo and Jean could end up not in a good place.

Oh, I've loved a lot of moments she's gotten during Hickman's era, but she's certainly been more of a background player up until recently. Also, though I have always loved her with Logan (I just love how much he reveres and puts her on a pedestal), I haven't been thrilled about the throuple either. It's out of character for Jean.

As for X Lives/X Deaths of Wolverine, I wouldn't worry too much. Percy has already revealed he has something "interesting" planned for her in this series, and she's already appeared on a cover wearing Cerebro. Methinks Percy, especially considering how he feels about her, is going to give her a kickass role.

No Caption Provided

Percy on Jean:

No Caption Provided

Cover:

No Caption Provided

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obsidian-shard: i dislike wolverine a lot, so im meh about LoW/DoW

I understand. I've come across a lot f Jean fans who dislike Wolverine. I don't. Claremont did a great job of showing their friendship and his love for her grow gradually. Anyway, I am excited about her role in X Lives/X Deaths of Wolverine because it's supposed to be to the next era what House/Powers of X was to this era, i.e., paradigm-shifting. So, whatever role she plays in it could determine her development in the next era. I'm hoping she takes Xavier's place.

My favorite early scenes between Jean and Logan:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PyroFN

@obsidian-shard: Are you by chance Mercury from CBR?

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@obsidian-shard: Are you by chance Mercury from CBR?

Hey, you! That's me. I hope you're not utterly horrified, lol.

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you might find this thread interesting:

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if maddie and jean dont have any resolution or interaction after she comes back...

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

if maddie and jean dont have any resolution or interaction after she comes back...

She’s coming back AGAIN??….😩

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelfan1992 said:

She’s coming back AGAIN??….😩

yeah she's coming back at the end of the Hellions run and is slated to appear next year in New Mutants. Girlie doesn't understand that no one wants her and she's better off 6ft under

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw this reply. I agree. I really hope Madelyne's return doesn't turn into another story about her seeking vengeance against Jean and Scott. Like, Jean did nothing to her.

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By marvelfan1992

@obsidian-shard: yeah it's dope. im still hoping for someone to photoshop the rest of the team out so i have a great scott and jean battle pic lol

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Obsidian-Shard
    No Caption Provided

The Executive Producer and Head Writer of X-Men '97 is a big Jean Grey fan.

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Obsidian-Shard

Jean may be getting a new costume in February/March:

Pepe Larraz proceeded to like these tweets regarding Jean getting a new costume:

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obsidian-Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.