Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8002 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Jean Grey/ Phoenix Appreciation

latilya89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By latilya89

I've read comments from Marvel.com and other comic websites displaying unfund hatred for one of the original X Men. So I want to create a thread dedicated to others appreciation and love for Jean grey. why you love her, and for some who hate her( and I know someone's gonna troll) why you do? Favorite moment, and especially feats that shows her strength and badassness.  GO!!!
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kerukun878

I prefer Jean without the Phoenix Force because of the Phoenix arcs after the original.. JEan is my FAVORITE marvel character, and probably the X-man with the second most amount of fans(behind only Wolverine.)  Jean takes ALOT of hate because of the size of her fanbase, and the Phoenix, which, in turn with its namesake, allows Jean to rise from her ashes. Though I'm not a comic reader, I have seen ALOT of pictures here on Comicvine that are bad-ass. 

cmkphoenixfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cmkphoenixfan1

I love Jean and its about time she got her own appreciation thread on comicvine. The things i like about jean are her powers, her relationships w everyone else and her costumes! One of my fav jean moments is where she guided the space shuttle in uxm to earth and her reunion w scott in xf.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Jean is one of my favorite characters, i grew up with reading and watching her awesomeness on tv. She is one really skilled character, and has some of the best costumes i've seen. But if she were to come back in 616, i would like to see her without the phoenix for a good while, cause i find her more interesting as a person, when she is just Jean Grey.

Tamtam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tamtam

I used to really dislike Jean Grey, back when I first got into comics. She just seemed so perfect, with the Phoenix Force's level of power and everyone falling in love with her and being trusted by everyone. I just didn't feel I could relate to her and that she was basically written to be the dream girl.  
    But when I read the Claremont run and saw her before she had those powers and seeing her relationship as it developed with Cyclops and with the other X-Men as well as reading how she was handling the Phoenix Force and how it changed her, and how she was affected by it, for better and for worse, I came to respect her. It's awesome that she has these god like powers but what really makes me a Jean Grey Fan flag waver is how she retained her humanity despite what she went though and kept from being drunk on power and from abusing it. She stays true to herself and to the X-Men even though she's now more powerful than them all and could just go off and create chaos or a new utopia.

fanboy#1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fanboy#1

i heard shes coming back soon because the phoenix force left the cuckooos 

then again she'll prob just die again
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cracks
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: Jean is also a very nice person. She is honest and sincere. She means well. Unlike Emma.  : ) 

@fanboy#1 said:
    " i heard shes coming back soon because the phoenix force left the cuckooos   then again she'll prob just die again "

You must die!
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

i like jean grey tho her relationship with cyclops and wolverine kinda made both men look douchey ie. wolverine constantly trying to get between her and scott even after they got married, and scott dumping the mother of his child without a second thought for her and then cheating on her with emma

Inthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Inthedark

Jean's strength. Her struggle to first master her own gifts and then being host to the phoenix force and all it's power    
    MsMarvelGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MsMarvelGirl

Hahaha her awesomeness was totally shown in Endsong, when she threw the Phoenix out of Emma's stupid body...Jean is my fav character ever and she rocks HARD!
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @latilya89: Jean is the original X-woman. She is a pioneer, and an amazing character. I miss her, so.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Erik

This thread was bound to happen I guess. 

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

She's pretty cool

benjamin_kch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By benjamin_kch

the first time i decided i liked Jean was the first time i read/ watched X-men, since i was very young i loved jean, she has always been my fav character in all marvel. She is so kind and has a great story. she is a major part of why i love the X-men and i cannot wait for her inevitable return. my fav part was when she expelled apocolypse from cyclops' body
    kai1309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kai1309

What makes Jean awesome for one I think she was the first telekinetic in Marvel alone but the first telekinetic/telpath hybrid. Also another great thing is that the comic book always remind readers that Jean isnt perfect and it took time and sacrifice to grip her powers, relationships, and life. Finally the Best thing about Jean is her strong willed mind, loyalty and strength it took for her to weild the Phoenix Force and keep her sanity and not betray and destroy her x-men.
    latilya89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By latilya89

i was just hearing about hope and the second coming in march,and the some comments on comicvine want jean to stay dead. i have no idea why they say that knowing that she is part of the resurrection force. its just haters being haters and saying she's weak but they haven't read xmen revolutions and how badass she was. its the writers and their inept abilitiy to write a good jean story. i want something like a joss whedon character like illyria or willow people who have vast powers and are learning to be or stay human while interacting and fighting with others. sorry for the rant but had to be said. discuss your thoughts.

latilya89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By latilya89

Bump

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WARLOCK2792

I've always loved Jean and Storm.  I used to hate Emma because of Jean.  Now, I just like both.   

I love Jean because I kinda picture her like Prue from Charmed, only far more awesome............She has a relationship with all of the X-Men, and the series doesn't quite feel the same without her their (Charmed!) 

And Rachel is NOT a replacement.  She's a half-filled cup. 
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WARLOCK2792

I've always loved Jean and Storm.  I used to hate Emma because of Jean.  Now, I just like both.   

I love Jean because I kinda picture her like Prue from Charmed, only far more awesome............She has a relationship with all of the X-Men, and the series doesn't quite feel the same without her their (Charmed!) 

And Rachel is NOT a replacement.  She's a half-filled cup. 
    latilya89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By latilya89

i totally loved Prue b/c of her tk, strength of will, and ove for family lke Jean. Jean needs to come back now that after dark reign there's gonna be the "Heroic Age".
    Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rachel is in no way a Jean replacement...she's her own character... 

Emma however, used to be a great character (even as a hero) but as of lately she just seems like a second-rate Jean replacement... 
    which sucks because I do want to like her, but I don't see a reason too...don't get me wrong I don't hate her (she's not even real) I just find her ok... 
    imo she shines best as an independent woman...... 
    but anyways this is Jean's thread sooooooo back to her.....what's ya'lls favorite costume of hers? 
    my favorite is definitely her miniskirt look from her Marvel Girl days
    solefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By solefyre

I fell in love with Jeannie during X-Men: TAS.  Of course, it was the Phoenix Saga that did it. 
    She was so sacrificing, and there was such a human element to the way she fought to contain the Phoenix's hunger. 
    And she never gives up.  So, in my mind, Jean has some amazing qualities - she's definitely one of my faves (I'm one of those rare Jean AND Storm lovers).  

I've been reading Jean-centric comics ever since.

My favorite moment?  Can't say for sure, but a hilarious moment was when she made the U-Men sh!t themselves.  True TK bada$$ness! 

Why does she gets so much hate? My thought is this: people don't hate Jean, they hate the way she's been portrayed. When most people think Jean, they think the Phoenix Force, or they think Scott Summers (and the whole Summers' family tree).  I don't think those are bad things to be associated with, but there's got to be more than just those storylines.  At least, I want to see more in Jean's development than that.  And I won't even get started on how damn near everybody in the Marvel U has been a PF host at sometime or in some alternate universe, or What If? issue.

Back to respecting Jean... there is SO much more to explore in Jean, & there are a thousand different stories that have NOTHING TO DO with the Phoenix, Scott, or Wolverine.   

I'd like to see her come into her own & then deal w/the force, & deal w/all the dudes that wanna bang her. 

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CellphoneGirl

They need to show her more in the present cartoons, like her being there in Wolverine and the x-men for one episode, and only about 20 flashbacks didn't sit well with me :P

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

I don't mind her, but the deaths are kinda redundant. ...Seriously, there has to be a final death.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KumoriKunoichi:
    lol no character has a final death in Marvel :P they just need to bring her back and keep her

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mercy_

Bump

Avatar image for comicbikerscott
    comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By comicbikerscott

man i love x-men
    Avatar image for lord_oraculous016
    lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean has he milestone in Comic Book History as the first ever superhero to die.. Back in those days, superheroes are always winners.. they may be punched and knocked out a few times but they will still win in the end.. Jean Grey changed that perspective.. she proved that superheroes are still humans.. that like any other human, she is flawed.. like the immortal words, "Power corrupts.. and Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.." 

she is the first superhero to display the weakness and fragility of being human, and on her last moments, showed everyone the strength of of that flawed human heart.. she showed everyone that true power is not with omnipotence or strength.. but rather, with love and sacrifice if it meant saving the ones you love most..

with with respect to Jean Grey, i would like to repeat the words of the Watcher during the last pages of the Dark Phoenix Saga.. words that are immortalized in my heart and soul..

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

"Jean Grey could have lived to become a GOD.. but it was more important to her that she die.. a HUMAN"
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    No Caption Provided
    And that's what I think of Jean Grey :) That's my wrist right there.
    StormyWeather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By StormyWeather
    @latilya89:   Thank you for this...idk y any true X-Men fan would "hate" jean Grey, I can understand if she idn't ur favorite
    buffalostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By buffalostyle

I remember reading that last bit with the Watcher and Recorder but I didn't really get it back then...I was pretty young and all I knew was that one of my favorite comicbook characters had just died and, needless to say, I was very upset...It wasn't until I did a re-read a few years later that I truly understood what they were trying to say...

great pull, lord_oraculous016...

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By agent9149

i hate jean....but i love the PHOENIX FORCE

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

the most awkward/weirdest picture ever !!!!! although scott looks happy, while jean looks shocked

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.