Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Why does everybody hate Jason Todd?

• 73 results
    HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HighlyEvolved

I understand why he was dislikable during his time as robin but he seems good so far as the red hood... Just want your opinion. And please don't bring up Battle for the Cowl. I know he was a douche in that one.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's evil

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In my opinion I just think he's not being handled properly. At one point I was a huge fan but then it started to seem like writers couldn't decide what they wanted him to be. His personality has been all over the place. I very much enjoyed his original debut as Red Hood and this new 52 version looks cool save for the helmet mouth. I've only read maybe the first half of RHATO up to this point but I didn't like the focus on him having to redeem himself. and with this particular team no less. I don't think that's what his story should have become.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sinestro_GL

Hate?

I actually really like Jason...as RH.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SupBatz

You made a similar thread here: http://www.comicvine.com/jason-todd/4005-6849/forums/do-you-or-do-you-not-like-jason-todd-1474737/#22

So I'll just repost my opinion from there:

I absolutely loved him in Under the Red Hood. I believe it to be one of the greatest Batman stories to date. And Jason was portrayed perfectly in it.

However, my opinion of him has diminished significantly since. As others have said, he is far to inconsistent. We've seen insanely villainous Jason in the past and now we're seeing him as a bit more of a softie than I care to see.

Sometimes, I feel like Jason's character might have benefited if he died after Under the Red Hood. He worked there but it seems that there has been trouble finding a place for him in the Bat-Family or Rogues Gallery since.

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was so sick in the Under the Red Hood story arc. However, DC has done everything they can to ruin his character since then

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncleemu: yup i have hopes that judd winick will come back and write him again

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He should be a villain because the only time i actually liked him was during under the red hood

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I liked him and then they did the whole new 52 thing and made him and everything he stood for pointless again. I did enjoy the stuff with the joker, you know Joker being the one that pulled the strings and maybe made Jason the way he is, was a cool twist.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that if he had died at the end of Under the Red Hood, it would have cemented him as having one of the best character arcs in the medium.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I prefer him as the wise cracking guy that's actually gotten past his angst against Bruce. New 52 version has been pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love him, I think he's an excellent character and I was always cheering for him in his confrontations with Dick Grayson.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Because when DC rebooted after Crisis, they made Jason into a jerkface who readers were happy to have murdered.

Then when he came back he was a villain, and depending who you ask, continued to be a jerkface.

Before Crisis he was just a Dick Grayson clone and an improbable one at that.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

People hated him as Robin, but he seems to have a respectable degree of popularity since coming back as the Red Hood, both as a villain and a roguish hero.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Just gonna move this to the Jason Todd forum

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yokergeist

Because he's Jason Todd

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's Jason Todd

This.

He just sucks. I've read (nearly) every issue of RHATO and he still blows.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

i have mixed feelings about him, sometimes i hate him, sometimes i like him.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MatteoPG

@veshark: so you don't like him because you don't like him?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncleemu said:

He was so sick in the Under the Red Hood story arc. However, DC has done everything they can to ruin his character since then

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Veshark

@matteopg said:

@veshark: so you don't like him because you don't like him?

You got it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a lot more popular now then when he first came back

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MatteoPG
    Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:
    @supernategames said:

Because he's Jason Todd

This.

He just sucks. I've read (nearly) every issue of RHATO and he still blows.

Agreed. He was the worst Robin.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did anyone like "The Lost Days"? I loved it! I like Jason more then I like Tim or Damian.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did anyone like "The Lost Days"? I loved it! I like Jason more then I like Tim or Damian.

Love it

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By muhabba

He just isn't the Jason Todd from "Under the Red Hood". UTRH was epic & his character was polarizing as Batman's greatest failure. I don't understand why he feels the need for redemption for what was done to him by Batman & the Joker.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was despised as Robin and sentenced to death. Everyone loved him in Under the Red Hood, and after that very few people could stand him. Nightwing, Countdown, Teen Titans, Battle for the Cowl, Batman and Robin, all controversial appearances for him where the character basically whined about his past. Even Red Hood and the Outlaws, which has probably developed him the most since he came back from the dead, is disliked by quite a few people as Jason's no longer the same as he was previously. The problem is the character was never going to survive like that, and the writers had no long term plan for him.

Avatar image for dyslexicspeller
    dyslexicspeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like new 52 Red Hood, I personally enjoy RHATO. Though I can totally see not liking it. I really like Jason and Roy's relationship, they've got good banter. I was not a fan of the joker being the man who created red hood by pulling the strings throughout his life. I like the old "oh you are here in africa too. May as well kill you."

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Azrael_Online

It's kind of interesting to look at how people viewed Jason Todd. They didn't like him in the 80's as Robin because of his attitude. However flash forward a few years and that type of character was loved on both sides Marvel and DC; the 'anti-hero' or whatever you want to call him. That's why characters such as Wolverine, Punisher, and Ghost Rider gained such a huge popularity and partly why Azrael (Jean Paul Valley) was introduced and given the cowl for a few years in the whole Knightfall saga. If the Jason Todd Robin were to have come out in the early/mid 90's he probably would have been better received by readers.

I've been avoiding all things New 52 for awhile because of how much I've read DC has screwed things up as far as back stories, things not making sense, continuity, etc. But I did just start reading Red Hood and the Outlaws and, granted, he isn't the same Jason Todd that we had prior to new 52. Much of the attitude is lost. He's still cool, and the other night it dawned on me that they basically turned him into the 'please accept me Bruce' character that they turned Azrael (Jean Paul Valley) into pretty much throughout the entire run of the original Azrael series. The only difference being that at least Bruce has says, I'm proud of you, you've done good' to Jason.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they dint remember that what made him popular when he got back was his Under The Red Hood personallity.

They could take away the whole killing and people would still like him, for what it looks they agains decide to change thing to made them more popular and they screw it again.

Also if they want he gets rdemption they should made him get it by accident and not looking for it, like it looks they are trying.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really miss his sarcastic dark sense of humor

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In my opinion I just think he's not being handled properly. At one point I was a huge fan but then it started to seem like writers couldn't decide what they wanted him to be. His personality has been all over the place. I very much enjoyed his original debut as Red Hood and this new 52 version looks cool save for the helmet mouth. I've only read maybe the first half of RHATO up to this point but I didn't like the focus on him having to redeem himself. and with this particular team no less. I don't think that's what his story should have become.

To be fair, he was more all over the place before RHATO. I understand what you're saying because my definitive Jason Todd in the one from Lost Days and Under The Hood, however we must remember that there was a time when he was a red-headed maniac who tried to steal other people's sidekicks at one point. And also that god-awful costume with the cape and the red tube... So yeah.. the New 52 Red Hood isn't nearly as cool as the original one, but i'd take this flawed one over that ratched one any day of the week. There also this moment is RHATO #18 that made all the anger of my favorite character being butchered worth it...

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Jason in under the red hood just gave me something different like that side of Bruce that wanted to do all the things he couldn't but wanted to do. That's what I feel Jason is more than anything.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey may have his haters but he also has his fair share of fans

lazyboy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They hate him because he does whatever he wants and gets more opportunities than their favorites. (Haterz) Another possible reason is because he's a Batman character. I for one think people know nothing about him besides from his movie, so they expect to see that same character.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love Jason todd

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

People hate Jason Todd? Wasn't aware, he's my favorite DC hero (Well, one who others consider a hero. Otherwise, it would be tied with Poison Ivy)

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

I don't hate him anymore but he was seriously whiny and bipolar pre new 52.

Dzeytoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dzeytoun

I agree that Jason in UtRH was well portrayed and polarizing, with many even long-time Batfans going, "the kid has a really good point, Bruce really has screwed up from beginning to end when it comes to Jason, the Joker, and himself.". Unfortunately, DC in its current incarnation has evidently decided to backpedal somewhat on that. The whole retcon of Jason's early life means the entire Red Hood situation was essentially a manipulation of the Joker. Any conflict between Hood and the Bat means the Joker's plan has succeeded. Even killing the Joker would be a triumph for the Clown, since it would mean he has been the controlling puppet master in both Bruce and Jason's lives. I think this was further driven home in the whole DoTF arc. I get that this certainly defuses the moral tension, but it also robs Jason's character of much of its core energy and meaning.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dzeytoun said:

I agree that Jason in UtRH was well portrayed and polarizing, with many even long-time Batfans going, "the kid has a really good point, Bruce really has screwed up from beginning to end when it comes to Jason, the Joker, and himself.". Unfortunately, DC in its current incarnation has evidently decided to backpedal somewhat on that. The whole retcon of Jason's early life means the entire Red Hood situation was essentially a manipulation of the Joker. Any conflict between Hood and the Bat means the Joker's plan has succeeded. Even killing the Joker would be a triumph for the Clown, since it would mean he has been the controlling puppet master in both Bruce and Jason's lives. I think this was further driven home in the whole DoTF arc. I get that this certainly defuses the moral tension, but it also robs Jason's character of much of its core energy and meaning.

This was brilliant

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@dzeytoun said:

This, this is the reason why I'm so disappointed with Jason Todd in the new 52, in my eyes the Jason Todd in UtRH is the definitive Jason Todd, in fact I liked him in Morrison's Batman & Robin but not this RHATO junk.*

* junk is a strong word, the book has its moments but the whole magic-swords, chosen-one, gets-powered-up-just-to-beat-Lady-Shiva, good-guy-team-leader, champion of Batman, sharing googly-eyes with Supergirl is not what I had in mind when I pictured Jason Todd in the new 52.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Same as a lot of other people, I really liked him in Under the Red Hood. In fact, it's one of the few times where I've enjoyed the resurrection of a character.

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lelanka

UtRH Jason Todd - perfection

New 52 Jason Todd - meh, jerk guy. Kinda copy of Dick (again). I mean he had Koriandr and Roy as friends, had long-time crush on Barbara, also wore Nightwing's suit... I believe Rebirth is his last chance though I don't believe Lobdell's not gonna screw it like before. The first 2 issues of Rebirth Red Hood are ok, but it's still too few to make proper opinion. I think they're gonna make him (again) as Batfamily's pet like in Batman and Robin Eternal (where they even made him a stupid drinker) with Artemis (probably) or another chick as typical anti-heroes and nothing more. :|

EDIT: Anyway he's much more popular today and has a LOTS of fangirls so if anyone doesn't really like him, he'll stay anyway.
    I wish they would try changing the writer, he had so much potentional in UtRH. :(

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lelanka said:

New 52 Jason Todd - meh, jerk guy. Kinda copy of Dick (again). I mean he had Koriandr and Roy as friends, had long-time crush on Barbara, also wore Nightwing's suit... I believe Rebirth is his last chance though I don't believe Lobdell's not gonna screw it like before. The first 2 issues of Rebirth Red Hood are ok, but it's still too few to make proper opinion. I think they're gonna make him (again) as Batfamily's pet like in Batman and Robin Eternal (where they even made him a stupid drinker) with Artemis (probably) or another chick as typical anti-heroes and nothing more. :|

His relation with Roy and Kory was imo quite diffrent from Dicks, especially since the new 52 Roy was quite different from pre flashpoint counter part.

The Eternals are an other problem. Jasons portrait there is hardly similar to the one in his own book, and the writers really need to improve in this regard. Since unfortunatly the Eternals and similar books are read by far more people than Jasons solo and have imo a bigger influence on Jasons image in the Batman fan base than his solo.

Even if you would get a perfect portrait of Jason in RHatO, something like the Eternals (or Battle for the Cowl) could easily ruin it again.

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: It's divided to: serious guy is Bruce, Dick is the one who is funny, Jason the cocky one, Tim the smart guy and Damian is the son. And so on.

It's unfortunate that they complete (probably) forgot on Under the Red Hood when it was so successful and overall amazing. That's where (for me true) fans started to really like Jason. I believe the New 52 is the worst idea from DC. It's a pity, that these comic books (The Eternals and other) are the most read when they are the worst imo (I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislike the New 52 portrayal of Jason).

The writers probably just aren't capable to start creating interesting characters that aren't cliché. I think we have to just accept this but still... it really pisses me off. :/

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate him, I just don't understand the love of him that some people have. Each to their own in any case.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.