Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Red Hood and the new Outlaws....same writer

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Some may hate this direction others may not, but Scott Lobdell is back. the Outlaws joining Hood are Bizarro and Artemis from Thymisara. So pretty much a bizarre Trinity. Weigh in.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't sound like the Outlaws I would like to have (seriously Bizzaro?). But maybe this team wont be permanent.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... what?

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
    Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason leading an Edgy trinity is a totally insane idea and I love it.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like it might be even worse than the previous versions.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I would have been up for this if they had given it to another writer. I avoid Lobdell like the plague.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm fine with this, I actually enjoy the stupid yet fun way he writes Jason, and I kind of dig the ridiculous team

This book is fun when it's over the top and kind of tongue and cheek about that, and that seems to be the direction they're going in

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, still being handed off to the lowest guy on the totem pole. No rebirth for Red Hood, it seems. At this point, they're better off just retiring the series.

Avatar image for midnight_dragon
    Midnight_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wtfffff

thats it, no more red hood for me

i mean seriously wtf, WHY can't we get a good writer for once. LOBDELL SUCKSSSSS

the fans are tired of his crap stories, why is dc doing this ? the sales sucks, the reviews sucks, OBVIOUSLY something isn't working.

I'm sorry, but i won't even read the first issue.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

Man, still being handed off to the lowest guy on the totem pole. No rebirth for Red Hood, it seems. At this point, they're better off just retiring the series.

So much this.

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Amazon character sounds pretty good, Bizzaro can kick rocks, and why Lobdell? Dexter Soy on art though looks pretty damn cool.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well after Diana and Hippolyta i'd say that Artemis is the most important Amazon. So if nothing else it would be nice to see her get more focus. But then it's going to be Lobdell writing her...which is just so, so terrible. Really just sounds like they're trying to make a basterdized Trinity

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Well after Diana and Hippolyta i'd say that Artemis is the most important Amazon. So if nothing else it would be nice to see her get more focus. But then it's going to be Lobdell writing her...which is just so, so terrible. Really just sounds like they're trying to make a basterdized Trinity

Yeah it does sound like that. I'd rather see Superboy over Bizzaro in this. It would have a lot more potential. Love Dexter Soy on this for art, but it needs a writer who can be fun and also serious.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im more curious on how Lobdell convinced higher-ups this was a good idea. At least with Roy they were street levelers. What is going to happen with this team I don't know. Jason cant win

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
    Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is exactly what they're trying to do

"Red Hood & The Outlaws," shipping in August, will be written by Scott Lobdell with art by Dexter Soy. Bizarro and Artemis, of the Amazons, will join Red Hood for what Geoff Johns called a "dark trinity."

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it does sound like that. I'd rather see Superboy over Bizzaro in this. It would have a lot more potential. Love Dexter Soy on this for art, but it needs a writer who can be fun and also serious.

Guarantee that if you put Superboy in though they'd be setting themselves up for a bad time, because then you're giving Tim Drake's former best friend over to Jason Todd after doing the same for Roy Harper via Dick Grayson lol. Agree about their being more potential however, because Superboy's a more interesting character than Bizarro in I think every single way. For the type of book Outlaws is/has been so far, I don't think characters of these type of characters work though. Starfire didn't work, Bizarro won't work, and Superboy wouldn't work. Jason and Roy is something that could work, but hasn't so far.

@linore said:

Im more curious on how Lobdell convinced higher-ups this was a good idea. At least with Roy they were street levelers. What is going to happen with this team I don't know. Jason cant win

Yeah I don't really get it either. Like getting rid of Starfire was a step in the right direction I thought and now you're basically taking a giant leap back lol. Feel like this is still Jason getting the short end of the stick. Tim's not doing much better mind you, but at least he'll be working with Batman over in Detective.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linore said:

It's clear case of DC not having any plans to use either of these characters in any major stories, so they tossed them down to Lobdell so he can throw shit at the wall to see what sticks

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spentshrimp said:

Guarantee that if you put Superboy in though they'd be setting themselves up for a bad time, because then you're giving Tim Drake's former best friend over to Jason Todd after doing the same for Roy Harper via Dick Grayson lol. Agree about their being more potential however, because Superboy's a more interesting character than Bizarro in I think every single way. For the type of book Outlaws is/has been so far, I don't think characters of these type of characters work though. Starfire didn't work, Bizarro won't work, and Superboy wouldn't work. Jason and Roy is something that could work, but hasn't so far.

@linore said:

Yeah I don't really get it either. Like getting rid of Starfire was a step in the right direction I thought and now you're basically taking a giant leap back lol. Feel like this is still Jason getting the short end of the stick. Tim's not doing much better mind you, but at least he'll be working with Batman over in Detective.

I feel like DC should do more with Jason as far as writing goes. Especially if they want him in the cinematic universe. Jason and Artemis does sound like a good team up. Potential romance would be good for Jason. Plus, I'm pretty sure they both are willing to kill.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy. But this sounds awful and lame, Lobdell is bad for Todd and Drakd. He has brought nothing to the table, but regression.

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy. But this sounds awful and lame, Lobdell is bad for Todd and Drakd. He has brought nothing to the table, but regression.

Eh. I really liked what he did with Jason. He moved him past his pre-N52 stuff and gave him more character. I got tired of tragic Jason. His Tim Drake was pretty bad though.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy: For now. Let Jason make some appearances in other Batman titles so he can repair the damages. Then maybe look at making a non-comedic, grounded, solo.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spentshrimp: Well I didn't particular didn't care for it. Pain and tragedy are big part of who Jason is has a character and why he does the things he does. It doesn't have to be at the center of every story arc, he also can move past it to a degree. But it should be one of his defining traits.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@rurgandy: For now. Let Jason make some appearances in other Batman titles so he can repair the damages. Then maybe look at making a non-comedic, grounded, solo.

The other Batman titles (especially the Eternals) did imo more damage than Lobdell. Actually don't think that he did any damage at all, his writing might not be the best, but he didn't do anything that made him look bad or changed him in bad way.

Even his dynamic with Roy and Kory was quite different from Dicks (Kory was never really his love interest), and Dicks relation with both is still canon, so that their relation imo didn't took much away from Dick.

But I also want and non comedic solo, and at least one story from his time as Robin were he gets a fair treatment.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about Bizzaro.

I don't see a reason to care about Artemis.

Jason has been holding on for a thread for a long time, and someone just gave Lobdell the biggest, edgiest pair of scissors to finish the job.

All and all, this post gave me cancer.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:
    @awesam said:

The other Batman titles (especially the Eternals) did imo more damage than Lobdell. Actually don't think that he did any damage at all, his writing might not be the best, but he didn't do anything that made him look bad or changed him in bad way.

Even his dynamic with Roy and Kory was quite different from Dicks (Kory was never really his love interest), and Dicks relation with both is still canon, so that their relation imo didn't took much away from Dick.

But I also want and non comedic solo, and at least one story from his time as Robin were he gets a fair treatment.

Being one DC's worst books year in and year out did a lot of damage, to the point where DC isn't even trying to put any sort of creative talent on him. The other Bat books have great creative teams and the red carpet welcome. RHATO was barely an afterthought. And no, trying to shill Jason' as a super-powered fighter adds nothing to the character, outside of rampant fans who whine endlessly about power levels.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aahz

@rurgandy said:

Being one DC's worst books year in and year out did a lot of damage, to the point where DC isn't even trying to put any sort of creative talent on him. The other Bat books have great creative teams and the red carpet welcome. RHATO was barely an afterthought. And no, trying to shill Jason' as a super-powered fighter adds nothing to the character, outside of rampant fans who whine endlessly about power levels.

When it comes to the "worst book" is still think that same reviews are exaggerating, I have seen worse stuff (Nocettis Catwoman for example).

The one how pushed the super powered stuff was actually Tynion, Lobdell gave him the all blades as weapons to fight the Untitled (who couldn't be killed otherwise) but never used them for something else.

The problem I have with the power levels is the following. Jason is my opinion opposed to Dick and Tim mainly a fighter (similar like Cass is the fighter of the Batgirls but of course not to such an extreme degree), and even in the recent cross overs it is often mentioned how much he likes punching bad guys. But sofar his only good fight sences were against Tim and Cass. He got owned by characters that imo shouldn't be able to this (Barbara and Tim). And most of the time he actually fought a villain and not a other Batfamily member he needed to be rescued. And even appart from fighting his skills are never really highlighted in the cross overs.

Jasons return to the Bat family is still quite recent, he was always written quite inconsistent and he had nowhere near the amount of appearances Tim and Dick had pre flashpoint. Therefore he needs imo somehow to be pushed in the cross overs, but the Bat office writers let him hardly stand out in a positive way or gave him a major role in their stories.

My definition of damaging a character is that a writer makes changes to a character or let him do stuff, that make the character less appealing or changes how the fans see this character in a negative way. An example for this is what Morrison did with Talia by turning her into a villain. And I don't have the feeling that Lobdell did anything like that to Jason.

In the Batfamily cross overs on the other hand we have something that looks to me like some kind of Flanderization. And that could really ruin him by turning him into a Joke if it keeps up.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw everything else. We need a writer that can actually tell some entertaining stories with Jason Todd. The entire thing is pointless if you can't do that.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: Exactly, a good story featuring Jason Todd makes the character more appealing to those who read and enjoy the story. A badly written one can only be damaging, as fans want no part of a character that's most frequently associated with a series mostly known for being consistently bad over the past 5 years without a relaunch, cancellation, or creative change for the better. The only other series with that same consistency is Teen Titans.

And Flanderization is exactly what Lobdell's doing. His characters are easily summed up with a few narration boxes.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw everything else. We need a writer that can actually tell some entertaining stories with Jason Todd. The entire thing is pointless if you can't do that.

If they would put a more popular writer on the series it would help, but if they keep treating him in the big story lines like in B&RE (seriously Harper beats the crap out of Mother and few pages later Mother can suddenly she one shots Jason, Tim and Damian ???) he will still have a problem to be taken serious, and everybody will claim it is bad fanfic if he is actually capable in his own book.

And btw. there are imo at least some appealing stories in RHatO, RH/A and other books from the Superman Office, but hardly any of the last Bat-events portrait him in an appealing way (at least for my taste).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

For the love of Galactus why does DC keep giving this to Lobdell over and over again? How is this a "back to the classic take on the characters" by any stretch of the imagination?

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linore

For the love of Galactus why does DC keep giving this to Lobdell over and over again? How is this a "back to the classic take on the characters" by any stretch of the imagination?

We don't know. I'm wondering if there are any other writers that are interested in writing Jason

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@linore: There is always going to be writers wanting to pitch for any DC character.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I arrived at the part late and I think I'll be leaving early. I like Artemis addition but Lobdell and Bizarro are a no. Why can't another writer get a shot at the character. Lobdell has had his turn already!

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wish Lobdell would at the very least give Jason just one partner. Artemis and Jason would be a good story.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: If that's the case we wouldn't be stuck with Lobdell LOL. I am sure there are other people interested in Jason and want to write him but it seems like Jason is Lobdell's pet project

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very much want to like Jason Todd and get more into the character. But stuff like this makes it difficult.

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spentshrimp: Superboy would have been perfect for this. Or they could have just done away with a second male character all together and have placed supergirl instead. She worked well with Jason in the issues they worked together.

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike Lobdell's writing. As I said many times before and I'll say it again, he makes Jason typical cliché bad guy and he was never intended to be like that! :|
    He should first get normal personality and fine story. I'm still hoping new Outlaws won't be so bad as the first over-sexualized attemp but I don't have much high hopes for it. Maybe he and Artemis could work out together too but I'd prefer him as loner forever lol

Ginbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

#39  Edited By Ginbell

I like this line up but I would have used Divine from Power Girl as the Super Family stand in .

No Caption Provided

I would have put her in a Black and Silver Suit with the S logo . I feel that this line up of Red Hood , Artemis and Divine would work better.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ginbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

@scouterv: There is not much history to her http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Divine_(New_Earth). I want more stories told about her . She should be more then just a Thug for Maxwell. I thing her Breaking away from Max and becoming her own person with a team like the Outlaws will do Divine a lot of good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.