Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1755 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Jason Todd in ten years

RunawayXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RunawayXY

Jason Todd isn't a known character (To the public) So that means he's actually capable of some character development unlike any of the popular heroes (Like Steve Rogers staying away from the mantle) So where do you think he'll be in ten real years? I don't think he can continue to be the Robin with daddy issues forever, something has to change. 

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ReverseNegative

You can never know. Some characters have been around for 30 years, and still aren't well known to the general public. As many people have said, though, Jason Todd has potential to be DC's Punisher. After all, DC has WAY too little anti-heroes.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By jrock85
    @RunawayXY:
    Hopefully, someone will undo the horrible characterization we saw in BFTC and the first arc of Batman and Robin.
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wattup

I still contend he should never have been resurrected. It hasn't added anything to Bat-storylines.

DarthSaeris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarthSaeris

While he played a formidable villain in the Batman and Robin arc, I do agree that there needs to be some kind of character development for him aside from murdering criminals with guns non-stop and harping on and on about how Batman screwed him over, and how the other Robins suck. Wah Wah. I definitely think along the same lines as Wattup in that he never should have come back, but I suppose we have to deal with him for now.

Grizzly Bomb - Batman and Robin Volume 1 Review

Meinos Kaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meinos Kaen

Hmmm... Gotta give a point on not addiing anything to the series, mostly because I find it hard to see Bruce getting any more miserable than he is when faced with death and his failures. That's the problem, I think. They always use Jason to make a story about other people. While Dick and Damian work, it doesn't work that much with Bruce any more since the character has been squeezed for everything in these last fifty years. The Under the Hood arc was awesome but not because of Bruce's actions/reactions, mostly because of Jason, because Jason was the news.

Jason as a character is basically a newborn that has the prejudice of years of inactivity and blatant blindness (even in death), and he should be the one focused on, explored and squeezed dry for everything or at least put in conflict with characters that can still be squeezed.

Also, I take a little rant of opportunity here.  Recently, I noticed something... What the hell is with the decades-long 'failed recless disobedient Robin' thing? Did any writer after his death bother to read A death in the family or any comic featuring him? OR ANY COMIC FEATURING DICK AS ROBIN?! Literal quote from the boy wonder himself: 'I made a career out of disobeying orders.' It's like they all focus on Jason dieing and translate: dieing on duty=not good enough. How the hell is that fair? Superman died. That means he's not good enough?

It's like everyone forgets three little facts: 1. Jason didn't run in head first to attack the Joker, he sneaked in to warn his BIOLOGICAL MOTHER HE HAD NEVER SEEN AND JUST SAW FOR THE FIRST TIME of danger; 2. His OWN MOTHER sold him out to the Joker, leading him purposely into a trap; 3. In the end, he still tried to save the person who had sold him out, shielding her with her own body, symbolized by the fact that she survived him a few minutes.

So resuming, he died trying to warn his mother of a mortal danger, who led him into a trap and still he tried to save them both and shielded her with his own body. But he's a failure because he died. Hmmm... guess Donna Troy, Aqualad, Aquaman, Batman, Superman, Maxima, Tedd Kord, Hal Jordan, Green Arrow...

That's probably what I love about Winick's stories and take on the character. He focuses on the fact that Jason was angry and had a mean streak, and that I can understand, it's comprehensible and it's what makes him fascinating in the first place, but he's always put an emphasis on the fact that he's been trained by the Batman himself. Even when he was Robin, he was good. Now that he's back from the dead, he's even better.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Meinos Kaen said:
    " Hmmm... Gotta give a point on not addiing anything to the series, mostly because I find it hard to see Bruce getting any more miserable than he is when faced with death and his failures. That's the problem, I think. They always use Jason to make a story about other people. While Dick and Damian work, it doesn't work that much with Bruce any more since the character has been squeezed for everything in these last fifty years. The Under the Hood arc was awesome but not because of Bruce's actions/reactions, mostly because of Jason, because Jason was the news.Jason as a character is basically a newborn that has the prejudice of years of inactivity and blatant blindness (even in death), and he should be the one focused on, explored and squeezed dry for everything or at least put in conflict with characters that can still be squeezed. Also, I take a little rant of opportunity here.  Recently, I noticed something... What the hell is with the decades-long 'failed recless disobedient Robin' thing? Did any writer after his death bother to read A death in the family or any comic featuring him? OR ANY COMIC FEATURING DICK AS ROBIN?! Literal quote from the boy wonder himself: 'I made a career out of disobeying orders.' It's like they all focus on Jason dieing and translate: dieing on duty=not good enough. How the hell is that fair? Superman died. That means he's not good enough?It's like everyone forgets three little facts: 1. Jason didn't run in head first to attack the Joker, he sneaked in to warn his BIOLOGICAL MOTHER HE HAD NEVER SEEN AND JUST SAW FOR THE FIRST TIME of danger; 2. His OWN MOTHER sold him out to the Joker, leading him purposely into a trap; 3. In the end, he still tried to save the person who had sold him out, shielding her with her own body, symbolized by the fact that she survived him a few minutes.So resuming, he died trying to warn his mother of a mortal danger, who led him into a trap and still he tried to save them both and shielded her with his own body. But he's a failure because he died. Hmmm... guess Donna Troy, Aqualad, Aquaman, Batman, Superman, Maxima, Tedd Kord, Hal Jordan, Green Arrow...That's probably what I love about Winick's stories and take on the character. He focuses on the fact that Jason was angry and had a mean streak, and that I can understand, it's comprehensible and it's what makes him fascinating in the first place, but he's always put an emphasis on the fact that he's been trained by the Batman himself. Even when he was Robin, he was good. Now that he's back from the dead, he's even better. "
    A-MEN
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Meinos Kaen:
    I have no idea what you're talking about when you mention the specifics of Jason's death in comparision to Hal,Bruce,Supes etc.Jason was viewed as a failure cause he was'nt.... NOW READ THE UPCOMING PART VERY SLOWLY

AS GOOD AS DICK.

Also his failure was Bruce's too,and let's not compare stopping,Doomsday,Darkseid and Sun eater to getting whooped by the joker due to your own foolishness.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @entropy_aegis: What is the issue Jason is making reappearance again? BnR number? i know it comes out in may i just forget the issue number.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @god_spawn said:
    " @entropy_aegis: What is the issue Jason is making reappearance again? BnR number? i know it comes out in may i just forget the issue number. "

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @entropy_aegis: BnR 23? awesome thanks. And why dont i get any of your replies?
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "

@Meinos Kaen:
    I have no idea what you're talking about when you mention the specifics of Jason's death in comparision to Hal,Bruce,Supes etc.Jason was viewed as a failure cause he was'nt.... NOW READ THE UPCOMING PART VERY SLOWLY

AS GOOD AS DICK.

Also his failure was Bruce's too,and let's not compare stopping,Doomsday,Darkseid and Sun eater to getting whooped by the joker due to your own foolishness.

"
    Meh, at that same age Dick was nearly beaten to death with a baseball bat by TwoFace, because he too overestimated an opponent. A man even died in that fight because Dick thought he knew all. And he would've been dead had Bruce not escaped in time. 
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Rudyftw

Well at the rate hes going, it's only a matter of time until he gets offed off for reals this time, or becomes a full blown villain with no moral code whatsoever..... Even though I think his character has potential to be a bad ass anti-hero most people would rather see him dead, or not mentioned at all. And after Battle For The Cowl, im pretty sure his image is tainted and can't be repaired... Thanks alot Tony Daniel..... douche.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daredevil21134

LOL

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @god_spawn said:
    " @entropy_aegis: BnR 23? awesome thanks. And why dont i get any of your replies? "

I don't get anyone's replies on this forum for some reason,save occasionally redhoodsden.Maybe i'm cursed. 
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    "@entropy_aegis said:
    "

@Meinos Kaen:

AS GOOD AS DICK.

"
    Meh, at that same age Dick was nearly beaten to death with a baseball bat by TwoFace, because he too overestimated an opponent. A man even died in that fight because Dick thought he knew all. And he would've been dead had Bruce not escaped in time.  "

True Robin Year:one was'nt it?but Dick came from a family of acrobats so physically he was up to the mark maybe that's what influences Bruce's opinion.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By daredevil21134
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " @god_spawn said:
    " @entropy_aegis: BnR 23? awesome thanks. And why dont i get any of your replies? "

I don't get anyone's replies on this forum for some reason,save occasionally redhoodsden.Maybe i'm cursed.  "
    LOL thats funny
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    @entropy_aegis said: 
    True Robin Year:one was'nt it?but Dick came from a family of acrobats so physically he was up to the mark maybe that's what influences Bruce's opinion. "
    Even before that, it was the root of the problem with Two-Face in Prodigal.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    " @entropy_aegis said: 
    True Robin Year:one was'nt it?but Dick came from a family of acrobats so physically he was up to the mark maybe that's what influences Bruce's opinion. "
    Even before that, it was the root of the problem with Two-Face in Prodigal. "

Yeah Dick and Harvey have a history,it'll be played in Daniel's arc as well.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jrock85
    @entropy_aegis:
    You have to remember, Joker also had Damian at his mercy and could have killed him if he wanted to. Neither of these altercations with Joker should necessarily reflect badly on Jason and Damian, Its more indicative of how crafty Joker is and that wearing a cape means that death could be around every corner.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @jrock85:
    Morrisons Joker.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jrock85
    @entropy_aegis:
    Morrison's Joker is craftier, but Starlin's Joker wasn't to shabby either.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @jrock85 said:
    " @entropy_aegis: Morrison's Joker is craftier, but Starlin's Joker wasn't to shabby either. "

Nah Starlin's Joker was just a nut.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @Wattup:  Jason's resurrection has helped the Bat titles sales increase since his return with fans of Jason hoping for his appearance. And yes the Bat titles have done well without him but every time he does appear that the sales increase even more. And they are pretty decent stories.

@entropy_aegis: I think he was using them as an example to say that all those heroes have died and came back to life but no one says that they are failures. And I get that Jason isn't as good as Dick, at least not in the same ways. They both have characteristics that make the other stand out in different situations.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Technically...it was the bomb that killed him, not the Joker...

I really just wanted to point that out....

Christ, I kill me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.