Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

jason age?

• 67 results
    Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Lelanka said:

I think it was mentioned somewhere. I believe he's 21 years old now.

The only things that was really definitely said about his age in the pre flashpoint continuity is that he became Robin at 16 and died at 17, but I really hope that they lower that once they get the 10 missing years back. Jasons "daddy issues" don't make much sense if he was already that old when Batman took him in, and it takes a lot of impact out of his death.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:
    @Lelanka said:

I think it was mentioned somewhere. I believe he's 21 years old now.

The only things that was really definitely said about his age in the pre flashpoint continuity is that he became Robin at 16 and died at 17, but I really hope that they lower that once they get the 10 missing years back. Jasons "daddy issues" don't make much sense if he was already that old when Batman took him in, and it takes a lot of impact out of his death.

I don't know about that. I still think that you could make it work for him to become quickly attatched to Bruce in that period of time and to have everything else that came afterwards once he returned and found out that Bruce didn't avenge him. Because regardless of age Jason's life was still pretty crappy. He had no father to speak of and his mom wasn't much of a parent either. No matter how old he is this still leaves Bruce as the first real parent he's ever had and puts him in a position where he can very quickly bond with Bruce, since Bruce is the first person showing real interest, respect, and caring towards him. It's certainly easier to play up the younger that Jason is, but I think it still works with him as a teenager. If anything I just think the age should be diminished for both Dick and Jason because the story itself works better if they're younger, giving them more time with Bruce in general, more time as Robin, and therefore more training and adventures.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Aahz

@nathaniel_christopher: It can work, but I still think it works much better when he is younger. And in most flashbacks (like for example his "favourite memory" he had to give up back in the first RHatO series) he was written much younger imo.

Dicks age should imo also be diminished, It think Tim as actually the Robin where the starting age matters the least, since he was never really written as a cute little kid when he was Robin. And if he was 13 or 15 when he started doesn't change much. And imo they could easily make him now 18 without changing how he is written now.

Jason on the other hand didn't even reached the age of 16 in his original run he was at best close to 15 (and more likely imo 13 or 14) when he died.

I'm just fearing that when they bring back the 10 years they try to fiddle it somehow so that Tim is still 16 and Jason is 20+, which (unless they make Jasons time as Robin much longer than usual) would let him again start at an older age than the 10-12 he was originally.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@nathaniel_christopher: It can work, but I still think it works much better when he is younger. And in most flashbacks (like for example his "favourite memory" he had to give up back in the first RHatO series) he was written much younger imo.

Dicks age should imo also be diminished, It think Tim as actually the Robin where the starting age matters the least, since he was never really written as a cute little kid when he was Robin. And if he was 13 or 15 when he started doesn't change much. And imo they could easily make him now 18 without changing how he is written now.

Jason on the other hand didn't even reached the age of 16 in his original run he was at best close to 15 (and more likely imo 13 or 14) when he died.

I'm just fearing that when they bring back the 10 years they try to fiddle it somehow so that Tim is still 16 and Jason is 20+, which (unless they make Jasons time as Robin much longer than usual) would let him again start at an older age than the 10-12 he was originally.

I agree it works better, but was just saying that it can still make sense for Jason at least because of just how crappy his life was. Really it makes more sense for Jason than it would for Dick, because Dick becoming Robin at 16 means he had that much more time with a set of parents who actually loved and cared for him, which would naturally lessen the strength of his connection to Bruce in my opinion. But yeah, I agree that both of their ages should be diminished in terms of when they first became Robin. We've talked on and on about why the 5 year timeline never worked and I still stand by that.

Tim Drake was like 13 or 14 when he started as Robin Pre-Flashpoint and the most important thing about that is that you really got to see him grow into the role of Robin, in Batman, Detective, and his own solo series. There might have been more focus placed on growth in terms of skill for him than either of his predecessors even. In terms of personality however they always portrayed him as a typical teenager. He grew more mature and darker as his life got harder (I mean, they killed his entire family off piece by piece after all), but you could have had him at any age between 13 and 16 and you would've been fine. Same goes for Post-Flashpoint. I'd agree that his starting age as Robin matters the least and I actually think its better if he is a few years older than either Dick or Jason were in terms of when they're all starting out as Robin.

Though all of it comes back to how old they want these characters to be when everything is wrapped up. For me, I think the ages should go something like this: Bruce>>Barbara>Dick>Jason>Tim>Damian

Bruce should naturally be the oldest member in the family. Make Barbara a few years older than Dick and then separate the rest of the Robins by a few years a piece as well, with Damian being maybe younger than Tim by like 4 years or so.

Then Cassandra and Stephanie can be around the same age as Tim. Duke and Harper should be removed entirely.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: I agree mostly.

I think they could keep Barbara and Dick arround the same age, if they want them to have a realtionship during their time as Robin and Batgirl (a teenage boy dating an adult woman could be problematic).

I also wouldn't mind if they would push Jason closer to the Tim/Steph/Cass generation, since they will probably keep teaming him up with Tim and thats anyway closer to the old continuity orignal (he and Cass were said to be the same age).

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@nathaniel_christopher: I agree mostly.

I think they could keep Barbara and Dick arround the same age, if they want them to have a realtionship during their time as Robin and Batgirl (a teenage boy dating an adult woman could be problematic).

I also wouldn't mind if they would push Jason closer to the Tim/Steph/Cass generation, since they will probably keep teaming him up with Tim and thats anyway closer to the old continuity orignal (he and Cass were said to be the same age).

Well typically the two didn't have a fullblown relationship during that time. It's mostly ship tease and maybe like 1 or 2 flashbacks to them going on a date. Dick is more often shown to be spending his time with Starfire than he is Barbara, though the idea that there were always feelings beyond friendship is fairly consistent. I think that's something you could do, especially on Dick's part, even if Barbara was a few years older. You'd just have to be careful. Don't have her be 22 and Dick be 15 obviously. That's extremely weird. Though it also has to do with when exactly you want Barbara to become Batgirl. Let's say we have Barbara be 3 years older than Dick. So then, for example, Dick becomes Robin at 12 and at that point Barbara's 15. Flash-forward 3 more years and they're 15 and 18 respectively. Have Barbara become Batgirl around that time (In fact, i'm pretty sure that based on Batgirl Year One she was 18 when she became Batgirl Post-Crisis) and Dick be attracted to her, but she's not returning his feelings for a variety of reasons, such as the age gap. They work together, along with Batman, for the next few years, Dick goes off with the Teen Titans and matures, and slowly but surely you have Barbara's feelings start to change.

I'd be cool with Jason being aged closer to Tim, since he's kind of in a special area in the Bat Family. Not old enough to exactly meet with Dick and Barbara, but not young enough to hang with Tim, Cass, and Steph.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Aahz

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Well typically the two didn't have a fullblown relationship during that time. It's mostly ship tease and maybe like 1 or 2 flashbacks to them going on a date. Dick is more often shown to be spending his time with Starfire than he is Barbara, though the idea that there were always feelings beyond friendship is fairly consistent. I think that's something you could do, especially on Dick's part, even if Barbara was a few years older. You'd just have to be careful.

The comics in last years imo usually hint that had a relationship (if they had sex is an other question) and that it wasn't just Dick having a crush on Barbara.

In fact, i'm pretty sure that based on Batgirl Year One she was 18 when she became Batgirl Post-Crisis

I'm pretty that she was said to be almost 20 in Batgirl Year One. I can dig up the reference later.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

Well typically the two didn't have a fullblown relationship during that time. It's mostly ship tease and maybe like 1 or 2 flashbacks to them going on a date. Dick is more often shown to be spending his time with Starfire than he is Barbara, though the idea that there were always feelings beyond friendship is fairly consistent. I think that's something you could do, especially on Dick's part, even if Barbara was a few years older. You'd just have to be careful.

The comics in last years imo usually hint that had a relationship (if they had sex is an other question) and that it wasn't just Dick having a crush on Barbara.

In fact, i'm pretty sure that based on Batgirl Year One she was 18 when she became Batgirl Post-Crisis

I'm pretty that she was said to be almost 20 in Batgirl Year One. I can dig up the reference later.

All i've seen in the New 52 is them going on one date in a flashback as Robin and Batgirl, which involved dinner and fighting crime. Post-Flashpoint had a similar flashback, but they still never actually dated, as the same story (Nightwing The Lost Year) made clear.

Just from wikipedia, Barbara was between 16 and 18 and graduated early from college. I remember specifically that she graduated early from college, as mentioned in the story, and that whatever her age was she wasn't much older than Dick in that story, so I doubt she was 20. If need be I could flip through my copy.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: I miss read something with the 20, but since she has allready finshed collage in that story and Dick is probaly still in High school, I think she is still older.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@nathaniel_christopher: I miss read something with the 20, but since she has allready finshed collage in that story and Dick is probaly still in High school, I think she is still older.

Flipping through it now and it is mentioned in that story that she had finished college early. Just wanted to make sure I was remembering that correctly. So she could still be the same age as Dick. Though for that matter, Dick's age at this time is never mentioned in the story. All we know for sure is that Batgirl Year One takes place sometime after Robin Year One, which is referenced. The general vibe I get is that both stories are a few years apart, which would make sense seeing as Dick at least is clearly older and more experienced than he was in his story. Again, wikipedia marks her as being between 16 and 18, which is a safe bet given her status, physical appearance, and the attraction between her and Dick. Might help to know how much younger Barbara is than Black Canary (Post-Crisis), because Dinah appears and she's clearly a grown adult, already in a relationship with Green Arrow. Without knowing how old Dick is supposed to be it's kind of difficult to say whether Barbara is for sure older than him or not. The Teen Titans are also mentioned, but you don't get any confirmation on whether or not its the original group or the New Teen Titans.

Barbara definitely could be slightly older than Dick however, because (In terms of tone and though processes) she's written as older than Dick in my opinion. Though you could argue that that's only happening because he's still in high school, while she's already finished college and is thinking about a real career. It's all good with me either way and i'll lean more towards your idea of her being older than Dick, since I prefer that idea more anyways.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: It is usually canon that started in collage around her 16th birthday. I have no idea how long collage takes and if someone like Barabra could finish it also early, but I would guess at least 2 years so she would be at least 18.

Since 18 is usually the age when Dick him self leaves Gotham for collage, I would say he is at best 17 since they were imo at least one year both active in Gotham.

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billythegod: But The Lazarus Pit should be able only to revive someone, right? O_O

Does he really still age or did he become immortal? I'm so confused thx to other fans (mainly tumblr fangirls) :|

billythegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By billythegod

@Lelanka: jason no longer ages

(batman.wikia.com/wiki/Jason_Todd 'powers and abilities')

END OF STORY

hes 21 forever!

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gospel_Truth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Gospel_Truth

Barbara should be older than Dick, not by much tho

Dick was 21 in the beginning of Grayson, I assume he's either the same age or 22 now

Jason is at least 18 (he wasn't affected by Mother's gas), I'm guessing 19

Tim was 16 in Batman & Robin Eternal which wasn't too long ago, so I assume he still is

Stephanie was 17 in Batman Eternal

Damian is 13

Cass - unknown, but probably 16 or 17 like Steph and Tim

SpentShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the old continuity it almost seems like Jason and Tim are really close in age. Like a year or two apart.

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.