Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1755 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

How do you like Jason Todd?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SupBatz

Jason is a character who has been quite literally all over the place in the past couple of years. We've seen a pretty dang psychotic Jason (Battle for the Cowl) and the mellow New 52 version - these would be the extremes on both sides of Jason's varying depictions.

Honestly, I prefer the more villainous Jason. New 52 Jason feels kind of bland to me. I've only just started picking up Red Hood and the Outlaws from the beginning and I'm finding that I feel like I'm reading a rehash of Nightwing trying to be slightly edgier.

Would people prefer Jason to stay as he is or assume a more antagonistic role? Or perhaps reach the middle ground (I'd say Under the Red Hood did a pretty good job of that but the problem seems to be not knowing where to go with his personality from there)?

redhoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By redhoodx

I like this new 52 version. Because I like to see character growth. Also jason is a better hero than he is a villian if he ever was. I've never seen him as a villian. Yes he has fought the bat family but he has never aimed to kill them because in all honesty if jason wanted to destroy the bat family he could have. He knows all there secrets. He could have revealed to the world there identities. He could have gone into there houses while they where sleeping and shoot them or instead of getting into a fist fight he could have shoot them from the begining, but he didn't. So he has never really been a villian. Jason just needed to vent out his hate over not being avenged. I think Lobdell has finally try to make jason move pass his hate for them. He's still angry and thats natural, but he doesn't hate them anymore.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

Under the Hood and Red Hood Lost days Jason for me.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

The One that had a 3 way with Roy Harper and Starfire.

Sorry i had to bring this from the garve

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Morrison's tremendously underrated take on the character.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

The new 52 Jason is awesome those folks at DC actually read the mail I sent them.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SupBatz said:

Jason is a character who has been quite literally all over the place in the past couple of years. We've seen a pretty dang psychotic Jason (Battle for the Cowl) and the mellow New 52 version - these would be the extremes on both sides of Jason's varying depictions.

Honestly, I prefer the more villainous Jason. New 52 Jason feels kind of bland to me. I've only just started picking up Red Hood and the Outlaws from the beginning and I'm finding that I feel like I'm reading a rehash of Nightwing trying to be slightly edgier.

Would people prefer Jason to stay as he is or assume a more antagonistic role? Or perhaps reach the middle ground (I'd say Under the Red Hood did a pretty good job of that but the problem seems to be not knowing where to go with his personality from there)?

Exactly. You've hit the nail right on the head. That was the problem with Jason immediately after his return, the writers had no idea what to do with him and he ended up bouncing all over the Bat Universe and even the greater DC Universe, with no clear purpose, always going on and on about his death. I loved Under the Red Hood, still have both trades right behind me as a matter of fact, but something like that can't last without any greater plan, or the character will just end up being a villain in the end. I prefer the current take on the character, because it shows growth, and DC really seems to know what they want the character doing now.

Really? Why?

Not knocking your opinion or saying its wrong as if i'm superior, it's simply that you're honestly the first person i've come across who prefers that version over all others, and i'm curious as to why it worked for you.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By wessaari

im liking what im seeing in RHTO, but after DOTF i think we need to get a little more grounded. These guys are powerful together, but i think they should use their talents in taking down more militaristic and gang related enemies. Like more powerful foes but in a more grounded environment. We've delved into both Jason and Kori's past with these past 2 arcs, and if we could get a Harper story then move on to something more with taking out Crime in a larger scale, then you will have one happy hoodie.

The Lost Days could be a good source of inspiration in that regard, Jason and Roy will be able to fight on a more street level, with room to go beserker on their asses with Jason's access to some heavy tech and Batman/All-Caste training, and Roy's awesome trick arrows. Then you can have Kori fight in a more restrained level (thus not making every fight a Superman like battle), and when needing to unleash her full throttle. Amazo could be used against them, which would be a challenge for all three of them combined. Essence could be brought in to reveal some heavy ish going on in the world, and Crux can be more of a outside source of more tech. thats just my 2 cents :P

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By havoc1201

i liked the pre new 52 version I think they should have kept him a villian and turned him into Nightwings arch-nemisis i dont mind the new Jason I just miss the guy trying to take out the Bat family, he was a great villian for Dick.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By daredevil21134

@wessaari said:

im liking what im seeing in RHTO, but after DOTF i think we need to get a little more grounded. These guys are powerful together, but i think they should use their talents in taking down more militaristic and gang related enemies. Like more powerful foes but in a more grounded environment. We've delved into both Jason and Kori's past with these past 2 arcs, and if we could get a Harper story then move on to something more with taking out Crime in a larger scale, then you will have one happy hoodie.

The Lost Days could be a good source of inspiration in that regard, Jason and Roy will be able to fight on a more street level, with room to go beserker on their asses with Jason's access to some heavy tech and Batman/All-Caste training, and Roy's awesome trick arrows. Then you can have Kori fight in a more restrained level (thus not making every fight a Superman like battle), and when needing to unleash her full throttle. Amazo could be used against them, which would be a challenge for all three of them combined. Essence could be brought in to reveal some heavy ish going on in the world, and Crux can be more of a outside source of more tech. thats just my 2 cents :P

I like the way you think

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wessaari

@daredevil21134: lol thx :P

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By consolemaster001

He's okay now.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I much prefer the villainous version. He held a special place next to the Joker as someone who Batman felt personally responsible for, and that is gone now that he's an anti-hero. His first appearance as the Red Hood will always remain his best. Even if he becomes a villain again, it would not be the same. Jason Todd is basically inevitably going to continue going downhill as a character

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By bionder

Personally i like more his appearences pre-52 like in Under the Hood and Lost Days. I like him to be more antihero than hero. Judd Winick wrote the definitive Red Hood imo.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wessaari

@Bionder said:

Personally i like more his appearences pre-52 like in Under the Hood and Lost Days. I like him to be more antihero than hero. Judd Winick wrote the definitive Red Hood imo.

true dat, but im actually really liking lobdell's take on Jason. I think once Tynion takes over, i would like to see a blend of Winick and Lobdell with his own personal flair

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By consolemaster001

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

The One that had a 3 way with Roy Harper and Starfire.

Sorry i had to bring this from the garve

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.