Follow

James Robinson

Person » James Robinson is credited in 876 issues.

British comic book writer based in San Francisco. Sometimes credited as James Dale Robinson. He is best known for his 90s series: Starman, and as the writer for Earth 2 in the New 52.

Interview: James Robinson Talks EARTH 2, Death of Lois Lane and More

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

If you are a frequent listener of the Comic Vine podcast then you may recall that we promised you DC writer James Robinson's appearance on our show this past Friday. If you listened to our latest podcast, however, you probably noticed his absence. Okay, funny story. James came into the office, sat down and got all ready to take some of your questions. Now, usually, James receives a lot of questions from fans and comic book readers wanting to gain some insight into the industry; but this week we saw a huge increase in the number of questions and many of them had to do with the death of EARTH 2 Lois Lane, announced earlier that day by DC Editor Pat McCallum.

No Caption Provided

Clearly, the death of one of the most iconic female characters at DC Comics is sort of big news, so when we asked James about it he wasn't quite sure how much he could reveal. In the end it was best for both parties to scrap the first podcast and to re-record on Monday morning, after the storm had quieted down and James had a better idea of how much he could discuss. The good news? We were able to gain a lot more insight and information regarding the launch of EARTH 2 starting this May the second time around than we had initially. So, without further ado, we are happy to present a special edition of the Comic Vine podcast where James Robinson answers all of your user submitted questions. We hope that he is able to bring some light to the recent controversy and quell the nervous fears of many Lois Lane fans.

Here is a link to the latest Comic Vine podcast. Enjoy!

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarthShap

The best thing about this is that apparentlyit will be done off-screen and without any build-up to it, like Lian's death in his greatest masterpiece, Cry for Justice. :D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I got name checked in this, noice!!

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By hectorsquall
    THIS is what really happened!
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

^^ LOL

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kidchipotle

@hectorsquall said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I don't understand why people moan about deaths in different dimension storys

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

And I don't understand why people complain when the book (or even preview pages) haven't been released yet.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@hectorsquall said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

It not Sup's than Maxima.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarthShap

@G-Mansaid:

And I don't understand why people complain when the book (or even preview pages) haven't been released yet.

Let's just say I loved his Starman run but I am still mad at him for disappointing me so much in Cry for Justice.

Also, if you are going to have a comment section to your news, I am guessing you expect two reactions. Either "Yeah, great news!" or "No! Bad news!"

I was really excited by Robinson back to his Earth-2-verse roots (Starman of course) but this is not Earth-2 and I feel he is back to his bad habit of killing close ones to add more depth, something he did A LOT in Cry for Justice.

@spiderbat87 said:

I don't understand why people moan about deaths in different dimension storys

Well, Earth-2 Lois Lane is not anybody.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By KainScion

please let her be dead. its ridiculous with how much sh!t she gets away with just because her husband/whatever is superman.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wowlock

All I hear from Lois Lane being dead is '' Yay , Let the Superman hook-up game begin ! ''

Remember when Marvel split up Spiderman and Mary Jane ?

Sure this is an Alternate world but I still think they shouldn't remake the whole aspect of Earth 2 fans know and love. They could've just use a totally NEW earth but from what I see, DC just using the popularity of the name Earth 2 and instead of trying something unique , they use some new clothes.

Until I see the JSA and the real characters we actually care about in Earth-2 , I will keep myself from being hyped.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

@DarthShap: I'm referring to the twitter responses I've seen over all this. A lot of anger when pretty much nothing has been seen or said about the book. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical or concerned but I don't think people should flat out condemn a book when we have no idea how it'll be. Wait until reading and then make a judgment.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarthShap

@G-Man said:

@DarthShap: I'm referring to the twitter responses I've seen over all this. A lot of anger when pretty much nothing has been seen or said about the book. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical or concerned but I don't think people should flat out condemn a book when we have no idea how it'll be. Wait until reading and then make a judgment.

True but as you know, Earth-2 Lois was a beloved character. The book might turn out good but you really cannot blame the longtime fans for being angry upon learning that one of their favorite characters is being killed off panel and that they might never get a new story about her.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hectorsquall

@DarthShap: Well, technically that's not really the old Earth-2 Lois that we loved because she died during Infinite Crisis.

This is an all-new Earth-2 with all-new characters, that souldn't even be called Earth-2!

@Wowlock said:

They could've just use a totally NEW earth but from what I see, DC just using the popularity of the name Earth 2 and instead of trying something unique , they use some new clothes.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By feargalr

Personally I'm really excited for this, I've never read any Earth 2 stuff ever and I love Marvels ultimate universe just cos it's something different, where characters can die, things can change and there are consequences, and I hope that Earth 2 will incorporate some of that, cos like some peeps are saying there would be no point in doing earth 2 if it were the same as Earth 'whatever The New 52 world is'.

Also loving me some interview podcast, it's nice that they can just kinda talk, go on tangents and not really have the time constraints that a normal podcast has where it's like gotta talk about x amount comics, then talk about y number of news items and then answer z questions etc Awesome.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By KidSupreme

@hectorsquall said:

LoL thats tooo funny :D

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarthShap

@hectorsquall said:

@DarthShap: Well, technically that's not really the old Earth-2 Lois that we loved because she died during Infinite Crisis.

This is an all-new Earth-2 with all-new characters, that souldn't even be called Earth-2!

@Wowlock said:

They could've just use a totally NEW earth but from what I see, DC just using the popularity of the name Earth 2 and instead of trying something unique , they use some new clothes.

That is true but that is what you get (the angry reaction) when you call it Earth-2 and have all these similarities to the original one (Huntress, Power Girl, Jay Garrick, Al Pratt, Alan Scott). Had DC called it Earth-34 and gave the synopsis differently: "a completely new earth where Lois Lane is dead", there would be no backlash. Kingdom Come has a very similar premise and I am really sure nobody was angry about it because from the get-go, they explained it was not in continuity. Do not go shouting how great it is that you killed Earth-2 Lois and expect people to be happy about it.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@DarthShap said:

The best thing about this is that apparentlyit will be done off-screen and without any build-up to it, like Lian's death in his greatest masterpiece, Cry for Justice. :D

qft

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

some people need to grow up

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am defenitely picking up Earth 2. It seems like we are going to get a new spin on a lot of different characters. This is going to be the Ultimate Universe of Dc Comics

dru_zod2501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dru_zod2501

@KainScion said:

please let her be dead. its ridiculous with how much sh!t she gets away with just because her husband/whatever is superman.

tru dat!

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@hectorsquall: I approve!

Avatar image for marssolesurvivor
    Marssolesurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marssolesurvivor

@hectorsquall said:

I literally almost pissed myself looking at this...too funny!

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87 said:

I don't understand why people moan about deaths in different dimension storys

I don't understand why people moan about the deaths of any fictional character...

Or for that matter why people care about fictional characters after they finish reading.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#25  Edited By The Impersonator

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@hectorsquall said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ssejllenrad

I hope Smallville-universe Lois dies in the comics. Nyahahahaha!

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

I'm definitely interested. I'd like to see Lex or Zod maybe kill Lois in a brutal/ dramatic way ... maybe not a bloodbath but dramatic nonetheless. I'm just hoping Supes doesn't become a mopey wuss as a result of her death ... that would be kinda lame.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hectorsquall
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to check this out, because I'm still stunned by the news too.

t1774ny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By t1774ny

@hectorsquall: OH WOW haahahahah where did you find those!?

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hectorsquall
    Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Well personally, Im fine with it. Some are saying that its sexist for lois to be dead and for wonder woman to be the last amazon, but they dont really do much with lois or the other amazons, besides its not like robinson wants to kill off all the women, just them.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DarthShap

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Well personally, Im fine with it. Some are saying that its sexist for lois to be dead and for wonder woman to be the last amazon, but they dont really do much with lois or the other amazons, besides its not like robinson wants to kill off all the women, just them.

Let's just say that this is a lot of Women In Refrigerators. Of course, I am not saying that Robinson is misogynistic, I do not know him personally and he sounds like a good guy. The thing is, after all the criticism he got for his treatment of the Birds of Prey, implying that Huntress and Lady Blackhawk had a threesome with Hal Jordan so that he may look good and the many, many gratuitous deaths of Cry for Justice, only there to raise the stakes so that the protagonists could yell JUSTICE!, you would think that he would be more careful now.

WIR is not about calling other writers misogynists, it is about bad habits writers tend to have towards female characters. James Robinson just does not seem to learn from his mistakes.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hectorsquall

@DarthShap said:

Let's just say that this is a lot of Women In Refrigerators.

What James Robinson must be thinking.
    What James Robinson must be thinking.
    cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cagedleo730

James Robinson has accepted the blame for Cry for Justice being bad. The Dwayne McDuffie firing changed some of his plans. He also didn't want to kill Lian. That was an editorial decision to set up Green Arrow and Arsenal's future direction.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DarthShap

@cagedleo730 said:

James Robinson has accepted the blame for Cry for Justice being bad. The Dwayne McDuffie firing changed some of his plans. He also didn't want to kill Lian. That was an editorial decision to set up Green Arrow and Arsenal's future direction.

If your editor asks you to kill someone, the least you can do is have some build-up to it and some follow-up to it, not deal with it in one page like that. In Cry for Justice, the next page was an ass shot of Starfire. Keeping it classy, James Robinson.

And Lian was not the only victim. As I said, Robinson just kept on killing characters so that the protagonists could scream JUSTICE! like idiots.

And the worst thing in all of this is that apparently, he is doing it again. It is one thing to accept the blame but then why keep the same formula AND add even more WIR to it?

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Mbecks14

@DarthShap said:

are you using the word masterpiece ironically?

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DarthShap

@Mbecks14 said:

@DarthShap said:

are you using the word masterpiece ironically?

Again, right after Lian's body is found by Oliver, we get a Starfire ass shot on the very next page.

No I was just awful. Awful dialogue, awful story with a nonsensical plan by Prometheus, countless useless deaths without any build-up or follow-up, characters acting out of character constantly ("I'm Ray Palmer, welcome to pain!" comes to mind), the fight scene was ridiculous, the ending was rushed...

And OK, Robinson may not be misogynistic but I can understand where the critics come from: Lian is killed, Huntress and Lady Blackhawk have a threesome with Hal because he is suuuuch a stud, Supergirl starts crying when Hal Jordan asks her a question and Black Canary dissolves the League...because she could not handle the job without her husband besides her.

fotocub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fotocub

@DarthShap: To be fair, Hal Jordan SAID he had a threesome with Huntress and Lady Blackhawk. I've always read that scene as Hal making up a locker room-esque story for Ollie's benefit. It's offensive, but it was meant to be, to illustrate something about Hal's personality when he's with his best friend sans Dinah's influence.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DarthShap

@fotocub said:

@DarthShap: To be fair, Hal Jordan SAID he had a threesome with Huntress and Lady Blackhawk. I've always read that scene as Hal making up a locker room-esque story for Ollie's benefit. It's offensive, but it was meant to be, to illustrate something about Hal's personality when he's with his best friend sans Dinah's influence.

Except Hal Jordan was not the one saying it. I do not know how you "read that scene" but that is just not what happened. ^^

Here is a link to to a CBR article with the page in question;

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/08/06/sexism-in-cry-for-justice-2/

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Mbecks14

@DarthShap: ok PHEWW! Just checking! I liked the art but otherwise the entire story was just straight terrible. Leaguers were completely uncharacteristic and I think fundamentally Robinson doesn't understand what Justice is. It should've been called Cry for Vengence. Or nothing at all...

Dru_zod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dru_zod

@hectorsquall: LLLLLLLLoooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllll

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.