Follow

Jack Hawksmoor

Character » Jack Hawksmoor appears in 289 issues.

Jack Hawksmoor is the King of Cities, the leader of The Authority, and the former President of the United States of America. While his body appears human on the outside, it is filled with strange technology that grants him various powers connected to the cities of the world.

Jack Hawksmoor Capability Thread

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#1  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

This capability thread will be for Jack Hawksmoor as he appeared in the Wildstorm Universe. I'm sure I'll be working on this for a while and the DCnU Hawksmoor will generate some feats by the time I'm done, but I won't be including them here. I'm hoping to show what Jack Hawksmoor is and is not capable of, meaning I'll be presenting not just his best feats but what I think covers the whole range of his abilities. There may be some questionable or unclear feats in here and I'll provide my interpretation, but if there are differing viewpoints it can be discussed. (I don't know how discussion in this thread will look. If I decide I don't want it here it will get its own thread.) Given the nature of comics (stories over many years with many different writers) there are sure to be flat out contradictions. I'm wary of calling things "bad writing" (I don't think all contradictions are bad writing) and I'm more in favor of presenting all sides of an issue and seeing if there's anyway to make them work together or just accepting that there are contradictions. This is the first capability thread I've attempted so it may be less than perfect.

Jack Hawksmoor's powers are not as straight forward as most other characters so finding a way to organize this thread is tricky. I'll see what I can do though and it might change as I get better ideas. I'm undoubtedly creating distinctions in his powers that don't exist (like deciding what is purely him and what he needs the city for) but it makes organization easier so understand that is the purpose for it and that these separations don't necessarily mean anything.

Knowledge

Decided to give this its own section since there are quite a few displays of the different kinds of things cities tell Jack.

Present - This is the largest section, stuff that Jack can sense through the city about the present situation. Some of these show a quite a bit of range.

Past - What Jack can discern about the past.

Future - Some examples of Jack knowing what's coming next.

Physical Abilities

What Jack can do in a city without interacting with it

Jumping/Agility: He dodges gunfire in the first couple and in the last three he chases down a speedster.

Strength/Durability: In the first he takes close range shotgun blasts while his powers were off. In the second he throws a propane truck (at least 40 tons) so that it explodes against a robot and he does it while his ability to communicate with the city are off and he says he's not able to manipulate gravity, so it's pure strength. The one with the bridge where he's jumping is pretty cool, he can apparently change his own density. The last two also need comments. In the second to last one he punches through a creature whose internal acids were burning through the Carrier and in the last one he's fighting Fuji in a desert.

2 Separate fights with Midnighter: He doesn't win either fight (though they look about even in the first) but what's significant is that he's fast enough to keep up and land hits (even though in the first Midnighter says he won't be able to hit him again).

Other things: Breathing underground; A depowered Jack Hawksmoor can see a camera only atoms wide; Just a cool double-kick through a window; He was experimented on for years with no anesthesia; His junk is funny; He's omnilingual; Pollution is food; He sleeps once every few months; He healed a broken spine just by dropping himself into a city; Toe grip; He was underwater for 500 yards without a problem; Wall-crawling and senses.

City Abilities

What Jack can do in a city when interacting with it. There are so many different things I can't really make subsections without making the post very long.

City Titans

Just separating these from the rest.

Appearance of the Tokyo Titan. Physically robust enough to defeat an opponent that withstood an onslaught of nukes and assembled fairly quickly (judging by it only taking a couple panels and Jenny not having gone anywhere in the time it took him to bring it to its feet).

The city of Bisbee.

Power Limitations

What happens to Jack outside of a city, in a damaged city, and also different things that count as cities. The effects of location on Jack vary probably more than anything else. His early appearances have him debilitated quickly and severely when out of a city, but later appearances show him retaining some of his ability but being weaker. It could be seen as a contradiction or a growth in power (since a lot of his powers increased from their original levels). [Note to self, get images from end of SHotA and jungle bunker in change or die. Also an image of the carrier counting as a city.]

Early Jack. Could barely go a day out of a city without a medical support team

Bendix uses his weakness against him.

Fighting in the desert. Strong enough to trip Fuji and durable enough to take a hit (2nd image is right after the first) but a later hit from Cannon put him down.

Having a chat on a mountain.

Fighting in a ship in the middle of destroyed city. Not hindered.

He was teleported into a city when a nuke was set off. Returns unscathed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

@Buckshot
    What did you think of the first issue?
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Jake Fury said:

@Buckshot: What did you think of the first issue?

I know I haven't actually gotten around to finishing the capability thread yet (lol), but that's what the thread is for, not comic talk. You should make a Stormwatch thread if there isn't one already and I'll get over there.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

EDIT: NVM Then. 
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Updated. Scan summaries will come when I'm feeling less lazy.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kallarkz

Ummm ive just been reading up on this character and is it me...or is he just awesome.

One of the few characters i've seen that can do the most amazing and unique things but can't be labeled as "overpowered".

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kallarkz

i just read him perform a new ability in Stormwatch 9. It seems that whenever a city is damaged he can "heal" it back to how it was before. Every team needs someone who can do that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.