Isamot Kol was a Thanagarian warrior who was recruited by the Green Lantern Corps. Kol is a Lizarkon (one of the many humanoid species that inhabit Thanagar). He was a soldier in the Thanagarian army. When his power ring found him, he was about to be executed for killing his commanding officer, because his superior wanted to surrender to the enemy Rannian forces. Kol killed his commander and led his troops to victory, and then turned himself in because he values honesty. His power ring recruited him right before he was executed, freeing him and transporting him to Oa.
Major Story Arcs
For further details: Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
On Oa, he was trained by Kilowog for his duties as Green Lantern of Sector 2682. For his first assignment, he was partnered with fellow Sector 2682 denizen, Vath Sarn, a Rannian soldier. While Sarn was easily able to adapt to his position as an officer of the Corps, Kol found it hard to rectify the fact that his new partner was his former enemy. Though their assignment was relatively simple, divert ships from Star 38 which was threateningly close to critical; he also had a hard time adjusting to protocol, questioning his orders and threatening to destroy an Okaaran hospital vessel that fired on him. He was eventually able to work with Vath, valiantly trying to save the ship from a black hole created when the star went supernova, even though they failed and were sucked in.
Kilowog soon came after the rookies, rescuing them. Finding themselves in the restricted space of the Vega system, they infiltrated a Spider Guild ship, where Kilowog was forced to allow the rookies to go on ahead of him because of his size. They were able to gather important intelligence concerning the Spider Guild's plans. Returning to Kilowog, the trio was forced to fight it's way out of the ship, eventually running into fellow Lanterns Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, and rookie Soranik Natu. Though they were all low on power, they managed to escape back to Oa, and help to repel the Guild's assault. During the course of the mission, Isamot and Vath were able to create a great amount of respect for one another and become true partners.
Even though they had warmed to each other, they still had a few rough times ahead. Tensions rose when Isamot decided to reduce his serving time with the Corps. Vath felt overwhelmed and went to figure out why. Isamot had decided to spend more time on Thanagar because he had reached the final stage in the maturation of his species. Isamot was ready to begin a family and had even picked out a mate, Qaylyra. Isamot and Vath got into an intense argument over this. The situation was only made worse when Citadel forces attacked the settlement; being as they were reported allies of Rann, the inhabitants blamed Vath. Isamot came to his partner's defense.
While Vath rushed to defend Thanagar from the invaders, Qaylyra entered her only receptive mating period. Isamot was faced with a horrendous decision, his only chance at a family, or his loyalty to the corps. A soldier to the end, Isamot was true to his oath and rushed to aid Vath against the threat. After they ran off the invaders, Isamot returned with his partner to the settlement and searched for Qaylyra. What he found was her with another male, she had chosen to pick another mate instead of loose her chance at motherhood. Isamot left Thanagar with his partner at his side, and returned to full service in the Corps.
Kol, Vatha, Arisa Rrab and Jon Stewart investigate the seeming destruction of a populated planet. They discover it was a test bed for the New Gods to use stolen rings. The plan had not gone as intended and the population had turned into doomed beasts. In an attempt to arrest the New Gods contingent, Vath was severely injured and Isamot lost his hand, The ring now rests on his other limb as the injured one regrows.
In the alternate universe of 'Injustice: Gods Among Us', Isamot is sent as part of a Green Lantern squad to arrest Superman, who had become a tyrant. The Lanterns are defeated with the death of Ch'p. The survivors surrenders to avoid being murdered and are imprisoned.
Death of Hawkman
Isamot is temporarily crippled by Despero when the alien tyrant blasts him point blank with fire breath that incinerates him on contact. Isamot is seen sitting in a hover-like chair without his legs. He replies to his replacement that his ring is only a rental until he gets back on his feet.
Powers and Abilities
Isamot is the wielder of a Green Lantern Power Ring which enables him to accomplish a variety of effects. The Green Lantern Ring allows Isamot to manipulate its energies through the use of willpower.
The Green Lantern Ring gives Isamot the following abilities:
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cubewas used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Transforming: The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes ( Barry and Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns.
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.
- Green Lantern Status: Active
- Space Sector: 2682
- Sector Partner: Vath Sarn
- Homeworld: Thanagar
- Predecessor: Unknown
- Successor: Unknown