Who Should Become the New Writer of Iron Man?

#1 Edited by ZhangThong12 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

After Brian Michael Bendis is done with Iron Man (which I hope will happen very soon), who'd you prefer to be the brand new writer for solo Iron Man series? Thus far I have only two picks for that.

Tom King.

No Caption Provided

I think his Batman stuff is amazing, but what really made me fell in love with his writing talent was his Vertigo book called Sheriff of Babylon, which was based of his personal experiences when he was working for CIA. If he can apply same writing style for Iron Man books, I think he can bring back that certain level of realism and grittiness that was missing in recent Iron Man books.

Brian Azzarello.

No Caption Provided

Yeah, I know that he's probably not a Marvel fan, doesn't know that much about Iron Man, and he grew up mostly with DC stuff - but hey, he likes writing dark, mature stories, and Iron Man was created so that people can tell dark stories in his comics. Besides, Bendis was claiming that he's been a fan of Shell-Head since forever, and look how that turned out, huh.

When the new writer comes around (even if it's not one of these guys), these are the five things that I want to see/read:

1. Bring back humorless Tony Stark. (Not a fan of hyperbolic and eccentric Stark that cracks one-liners every second.)

No Caption Provided

2. Bring back classic/old-school villains. (You know who I'm talking about, Marvel.)

No Caption Provided

3. Make stories more action-driven and more engaging.

No Caption Provided

4. Make stories more darker. (Iron Man's been around for five decades, and for the majority of his existence he's been portrayed as a dark character who goes through dark paths.)

No Caption Provided

5. NO. MORE. PANDERING. TO. MOVIES. (Time to stop it, Marvel. Stop making comics feel like movies in the way suits are designed and how characters are acting - it won't help the sales. It only hurts them.)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

ENOUGH OF THIS!

#2 Edited by waezi2 (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

@zhangthong12: Hmm... I don't know...

... Well... How about Mark Waid?

#3 Posted by ZhangThong12 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2: well, I think he would've been a good choice, too. After all, Kingdom Come is one of the best comic books ever published.

#4 Posted by waezi2 (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

@zhangthong12: And he is pretty good a digging up old villains and supportive characters, giving them new life.

And Kingdom Come is indeed one of the best graphic novels ever. Say, you read his Flash series?

#5 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Jeff Lemire maybe

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
#6 Posted by deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f (1804 posts) - - Show Bio

Who ever will make him as strong as he's potential allows. With all the tech, super metals, etc... In the Marvel verse you would think Tony would have a suit stronger than what he currently has.

#7 Edited by waezi2 (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

@callmeblast: Well, there is the theory that Tony on purpose doesn't have the most powerful armor he can build because he is afraid of himself. Which would make sense, as he feels guilt over all the destruction his weapons has caused.

"I'm the most intelligent, capable person on the planet. I'm not playing God. All this time... I've been playing human."

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
#8 Posted by deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f (1804 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2: He wouldn't even need to increase his firepower, just image a Admantuim/Vibranium suit. he'd much better at fighting higher tier people.

#9 Posted by waezi2 (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

@callmeblast: Exactly. He could easily make himself that powerful, which is why I tend to buy the "play human" theory.

#10 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind seeing Brian K. Vaughan take on Iron-Man...... No telling what he would bring to the table.

No Caption Provided

#11 Posted by Revive (534 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind seeing Brian K. Vaughan take on Iron-Man...... No telling what he would bring to the table.

No Caption Provided

I would read his Iron Man, but I would rather see him on a book that I am a bigger fan of.

#12 Posted by Noone1996 (12152 posts) - - Show Bio

The Knauf brothers need to give it another shot.

#13 Edited by Adriusus (3235 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction.

#14 Edited by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Downey Jr.

#15 Edited by ZhangThong12 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone1996: you mean those guys who misspelled the name of the alien race whose rings Mandarin has? When I saw that Makluans were called "Makkulians", I thought it was a typo. But they've misspelled the name of Makluans couple of times during their run. However, I liked their run. It was very James Bondy.

#16 Posted by ZhangThong12 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Downey Jr.

He will ask Marvel to pay him 70 million dollars for each issue.

#17 Posted by Noone1996 (12152 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by KrleAvenger (26208 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruh...

#19 Edited by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

Who could write a good Black female superhero?

#20 Posted by ZhangThong12 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

@zhangthong12: Spelling matters that much to you? Lol.

Well, like I said, I thought Knauf's run was very good. The mispronunciation of the Makluans is just a little gripe that I have. I mean, you wouldn't like if some writer would misspell the name of Galactus or something like that.

#21 Edited by ZhangThong12 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

Who could write a good Black female superhero?

The question was about who should write the classic Iron Man - the way we know him. One of the reasons why it will be good when Bendis will be gone, is that Tony Stark will be resurrected, and Riri Williams will become an independent character that doesn't need to be shoehorned into an Iron Man title.

#22 Posted by Noone1996 (12152 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.