Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Which issue of Iron Man did you start off with?

PauLWaFFleZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PauLWaFFleZ

I started getting into comics a few years back, kind of been off and on when it came to reading them. However, I wanted to be somebody who could say I've read every issue of Iron Man from the beginning. So I began by reading Tales of Suspense and now I'm into Invincible Iron Man v.1 But I have to say, I kind of had to force myself to read what I've read so far. The stories aren't necessarily that good, and the artwork as you can guess is horrible, but thats a given since its from the 60's. I've figured out that I'm not gonna be the type of comic book fan that can play trivia and know exactly which issue so and so happened in and etc, so I've come to the conclusion that I just want to read stuff that I know I will enjoy.

I'm planning on just skipping ahead and getting to the 90's era comics where the artwork is much better. But before I do that, I'd like to atleast be able to read the major story arcs that Iron Man has been involved in before the 90's. What were the first issues you guys started reading, and what are some of the more important ones in Iron Man's history?

PauLWaFFleZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Ok Then..........

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@paulwafflez

I wouldn't be too concerned with reading each story for Iron Man. Like you said, my advice is to just read what you find enjoyable, and over time, you can fill in the gaps yourself. Beyond Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run, most of Iron Man's classic storylines come from the 80s. The following are all collected in trades:

• Iron Monger (Tony goes up against Obadiah Stane when he's at his lowest)
    • Demon in a Bottle (Generally considered to be one of the best, deals with Tony's alcoholism)
    • Doomquest (Tony teams up with Dr. Doom during King Arthur times)
    • Armor Wars (Tony goes rogue and hunts down everyone misusing his tech)

Beyond that, I'd also recommend Warren Ellis' Extremis if you haven't read it, as well as the Knaufs' Iron Man run, which runs from Execute Program to Director of Shield to Haunted.

PauLWaFFleZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PauLWaFFleZ

@veshark: Well thanks for finally responding. But yeah, I went to the recommended reading for Iron Man and saw Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars as some of the more important arcs. But unfortunately, I've deleted most of the other Invincible Iron Man v1 comics that I had, so I think that I won't be able to read the Iron Monger arc. Which issues does that story begin and end with btw?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By theTimeStreamer

the one i first saw

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Well thanks for finally responding. But yeah, I went to the recommended reading for Iron Man and saw Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars as some of the more important arcs. But unfortunately, I've deleted most of the other Invincible Iron Man v1 comics that I had, so I think that I won't be able to read the Iron Monger arc. Which issues does that story begin and end with btw?

It collects the 1968 Iron Man series, from issues 193 to 200.

PauLWaFFleZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Ok thanks. I still have those issues, I'll be reading them when I can.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I started reading Iron Man during Matt Fraction's run on Invincible Iron Man. Not a huge fan of the current Iron Man series though.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definately matt fractions invinvible iron man its one of my fav series of all time!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.