Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

What Iron Man 3 did wrong. *Spoilers*

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1) The Mandarin:
    I won't elaborate on this.

2) The amount of jokes:
    At one point, I felt like i was watching Scary Movie: Superhero Edition. I thought i was maybe watching an Iron Man spoof. Even Spiderman doesn't make that many jokes.
    I love some jokes to break the tension, but even after Pepper "died" Tony was dropping one liners. Wayyyyy, over the top. Even the Banner cameo was just a joke.

3) Inconsistencies in the power/convenient power:
    I'll just group these two together. At the beginning of the movie, Killian's henchman survives a huge explosion. When Stark is at the bar, you can assume the female henchman dies during an explosion. During the end of the movie, Pepper survives a massive "explosion." On the plane, Stark kills Killian's henchman with a blast to the chest, while Iron Pat doesn't even phase 2 henchmen with multiple bullets to their chest.
    Lastly, Killian is much much more powerful than any of his men injected with the same virus. I guess this is because he created it? It's never explained, but I guess i can live with that. What I can't live with is how he "gains" powers at his convenience.
    Super healing factor? Okay, thats fine. Super strength? Okay, i guess that can be part of the healing factor somehow. Super speed? Uhhh. Okay i can't explain this one. Maybe something to deal with the healing factor? Someone needs to tell Wolverine about this. Fire breathing? Not really sure where this came from.
    Not to mention the fact that one touch to any Mark suit by anyone infected with the virus completely crippled/rendered the suit useless.
    According to this, Im convinced Johnny Storm would demolish Iron Man.

4) Iron Patriot:
    Why was he even in this movie? The 10 year old child had a bigger role than him.

5) Avengers:
    There are about five Avengers references throughout the movie. Tony Stark is presumed dead by the public. Do the Avengers not care? What are they doing? Really wish they would have made this clear. Just make up some BS excuse and ill be satisfied.

6) Tony Stark/Iron Man:
    This is NOT an 'Iron Man' movie. This movie should be called 'Tony Stark'. Now, I understand they are showing the psychological side of Tony, but they really nerfed his suits in this. The public is obviously driving/taking over Iron Man at this point, and usually the public don't know what they want. The public ruined Spiderman, but if its Tony Stark's humor they want, it's Tony Stark's humor they'll get.

7) Killian:
    Not sure if I missed this, but what was his motive? I understand he didn't like Tony, but aside from that. I heard him say something about controlling the war on terror, but I'm not sure what he was wanting to do. And then he was in cahoots with the VP. So..... did he want to rule the world or something? I completely missed what he was planning on doing. Maybe it wasn't explained.

8) Raiding the Compound:
    Tony Stark raiding the "military" compound with some homemade weapons was kind of silly. This is something only Bruce Wayne would be able to pull off.
    I also don't know why Stark didn't just buy a couple of guns in the hick town he was in.
    I guess this wasn't a huge deal, but it was really silly to me.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things since the premiere, but these are the few that stuck out in my mind

Conclusion
    I DID find the movie entertaining, but it had the same entertainment value to me as a movie like Fast and Furious or Transformers. Iron Man 3 didn't have a progressive story aside from Starks mental battles, which took all of about 10 minutes. This movie would have made a decent sequel, but for a threequel, no way.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. Not a big Iron Man reader. My first exposure to the Mandarin came from Marvel Ultimate Alliance. So I didn't really care about his change, but I empathize with the long time readers.

2. Agreed to an extent. I think the jokes do fit a psychological case study for Tony. But the fact that he was still joking after he thought Pepper died was too much.

3.Again, not a big Iron Man reader. But I agree that his suits should have put up a better fight.

4. Mythology gag.

5. The movie actually takes place in a short interval of time. I agree that we should have seen more intervention on the Mandarin issue then just Rhodes.

6. I agree that the suits were nerfed, but the whole point of the film us that Tony Stark is Iron Man. The man makes the suit, not vice versa.

7. I got nothing...

8. Making weapons was his job before he became Iron Man. The athleticism was a bit much though.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LaserLambert

9. THE STUPID KID

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Tony killing everybody

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tylertothemax

@soduh2: i agree. idk where they are going with TS and PP in the future, but maybe this could be some funny insight on how he would feel about having his own child? idk, im digging deep on that one becaus i thought the kid was alright.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. And I don't think you need to. What was done with the Mandarin was quite simply awful. I'm not even a huge fan of the dude, though I do appreciate him as Iron Man's greatest nemesis in the comics, and I still think it was horribly done. The main problem is that not a single one of the trailers depicted the Mandarin as what he was in the movie. Yes, I understand that you don't want the entire movie revealed in the trailers, but I don't think i'm exaggerating when I say that all of us went into the film expecting to see Tony going toe to toe with a dude more similar to his comics counterpart, who was a real and terrible threat, and had been behind everything since the first film. I'll say again that Kingsley's performance was excellent, but the truth of the Mandarin was handled terribly.

2. I expect Tony Stark to be making jokes, just like I do Peter Parker. It's part of their shared charm, but just like Peter Parker I don't expect jokes to take up SO much of the movie. I re-watched the first two films to be sure, and I can safely say that the 3rd movie, which has the darkest premise and was marketed as such, also has the highest amount of comedy out of the 3 Iron Man films. That's a problem.

3. Extremis was just full of inconsistencies as you've noted, in terms of the suits however that can at least partially be explained by the fact that they were apparently all prototypes that Tony, due to the events that happened in New York, was basically thinking up, building, and storing on the fly while he moved on to the next one. Doesn't seem like he tested any of them out to a decent degree, which can explain for why they were taken down so easily, even the 42, which was noted when we first saw it to be just such a prototype, and Tony was never given a decent chance to work on it during the movie.

4. Agreed. Rhodey's role inside the suit was pointless and wasted.

5. Agreed, I have the same problem with SHIELD not being mentioned when the President of the United States is threatened, attacked, and kidnapped.

6. Already talked about problems with the various suits above, but I agree that I wasn't satisfied with the Tony Stark=Iron Man portrayal. I understand what they were going for, and it is the man inside the suit that matters, but just like Batman, part of what makes the man inside the suit who he is, is the armor he wears on the outside. Which is why I felt that he should've found a balance inside the suit towards the end of the film.

7. Near as I can tell he wanted to fight the war on terror from the White House, while at the same time causing the war, thereby allowing him to control both sides and profit from it. Beyond that i'm not sure what else he wanted.

8. I don't mind him being able to build weapons from almost nothing, as he is one of the smartest men in the world and built the Mark I from some scrapped weapons in a cave. I don't even mind him being more athletic, as one of the main arguments between him and Cap in the last film was that Tony wasn't anything without the suit, which has been a plot point in the comics before, which has led to him receiving various amounts of training. (Same thing happened to Superman as well actually) So I could see him having done looked into becoming more physically able since Avengers. Now, how capable he was is probably a bit of a stretch, especially when you take into account that unlike him, those mercenaries he was taking down should've been professionals who were solely trained for what they were doing.

To mention a few things you didn't touch on:

9. Tony's PTSD was touched on from the start and handled pretty well I thought, then you have it turned into a joke once the kid pops up.

10. Maya Hanson. Personally, I got the feeling she was being built up for more than a 30 second rebellion, which ended in her being viewed as expendable and shot.

11. Perhaps I missed something, but I thought that the Mandarin was supposed to have been behind what happened to Tony in the first film. Was this ever touched on in Iron Man 3? Because that's another way that could've been used to tie Tony and Killian together, that he'd been gunning for Tony even back then.

12. AIM. Wasted, considering their large history in the comics. They could've had some ties to HYDRA revealed that would've allowed them to make a future appearance in the Captain America films, been shown to be looking into gamma radiation to tie them to the Hulk films, been shown to be working on another Cosmic Cube to tie them to Thor or the Avengers, etc. Even with just Iron Man they could've been shown to be working on duplicating his armor or something, anything would've been better than what we got, with them being mentioned as a think tank that helped Maya with Extremis.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: Completely forgot, and agree with your #9. In the beginning it was almost appearing as Tony was becoming more suit than man, (with him wearing the suit around the house and all) which was pretty cool/interesting to me. That was never really touched on again.
    Then they started with the PTSD, and Tony feeling the need to protect Pepper. Okay, that makes sense to me; nightmares and such. Tony Stark actually having a flaw.
    But then the kid would just mention New York and Tony would like completely fall apart. And what comes next? Jokes of course.
    Tony being an alcoholic would have been better than having PTSD IMO, but this Iron Man series is too late to implement that, and the end of the movie seemed as though Tony would be 'over' the PTSD. You cant become and get rid of alcoholism in one movie (i guess you cant get rid of PTSD that quickly either, but that's beside the point).
    Tony's personality leans more to alcoholism because alcoholism is self-destructive. "Perfect" people like him tend to have self-destructive behavior. I can't really see him having PTSD, but i guess it's not a stretch.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher:

Completely forgot, and agree with your #9. In the beginning it was almost appearing as Tony was becoming more suit than man, (with him wearing the suit around the house and all) which was pretty cool/interesting to me. That was never really touched on again.

Then they started with the PTSD, and Tony feeling the need to protect Pepper. Okay, that makes sense to me; nightmares and such. Tony Stark actually having a flaw.

But then the kid would just mention New York and Tony would like completely fall apart. And what comes next? Jokes of course.

Tony being an alcoholic would have been better than having PTSD IMO, but this Iron Man series is too late to implement that, and the end of the movie seemed as though Tony would be 'over' the PTSD. You cant become and get rid of alcoholism in one movie (i guess you cant get rid of PTSD that quickly either, but that's beside the point).

Tony's personality leans more to alcoholism because alcoholism is self-destructive. "Perfect" people like him tend to have self-destructive behavior. I can't really see him having PTSD, but i guess it's not a stretch.

Exactly. There were plot points all over the place and many of them didn't have a solid conclusion or were used for laughs.

I really hoped this movie was going to be an adaptation of Demon in a Bottle. That could've very easily played into his PTSD, and he's already shown drinking problems in the last movie anyways as a coping mechanism, so it wouldn't be coming out of nowhere. I thought that the PTSD was an interesting take, it just wasn't used as effectively as it could've been.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HeWhoSees

@nathaniel_christopher:

Completely forgot, and agree with your #9. In the beginning it was almost appearing as Tony was becoming more suit than man, (with him wearing the suit around the house and all) which was pretty cool/interesting to me. That was never really touched on again.

You can't see him having PTSD after nearly dying, fighting an alien invasion in New York with a god, super soldier, and jolly green giant at his side, and seeing an alien invasion on space right before he almost died?

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tylertothemax said:

@nathaniel_christopher:

You can't see him having PTSD after nearly dying, fighting an alien invasion in New York with a god, super soldier, and jolly green giant at his side, and seeing an alien invasion on space right before he almost died?

Tony Stark? No, not really.
    And if we are using your generalization, every superhero should/would have PTSD.
    Every superhero; almost dies, sees gods, sees Hulk, fights weird monsters, they don't all have PTSD ha.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

@tylertothemax said:

@nathaniel_christopher:

Tony Stark? No, not really.

And if we are using your generalization, every superhero should/would have PTSD.

Every superhero; almost dies, sees gods, sees Hulk, fights weird monsters, they don't all have PTSD ha.

Okay asshole. One: PTSD comes in a variety of different forms. Just because a person is good as hiding it to the outside people does not mean that their ain't no struggle beneath the surface. My mother, for example, has seen two tours of duty of Iraq, let has still broken down crying or undergoing other emotional stress when she thought no one was looking. Fuck you silly.

Two: I seem to recall Tony taking to the alcohol rather fondly somtime around Fear Itself.

Two: for a movie series in a Universe that critic wankery and fanwankery has proclaimed to be decent in no small part BECAUSE of "compelling human conflict" (of which PTSD and/or seeing how the heroes respond to fucking weird shit yet still keep going on is one of them) and with such a PRETENSE (note the word: PRETENSE) of realism, you being against Tony Stark having PTSD and flashbacks to what, WAS an earth shattering event in his world that changed the game forever on his world, is just fucking stupid. So fucking stupid, I honestly wanna know what fucking DAYCARE your parents sent you to when you were a wee little thing so I can burn it down (assuming it's still open) so I can burn it down so that their idiocy isn't imprinted on the youth of tomorrow. If you weren't sent to a daycare, then I wanna know where you were sent to pre-school or kindergarten so I can burn one of those down instead, you stupid, fucking callous on the scummy feat of the human animal.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

I agree with everything..only the Mandarin part didn't bother me that much tbh.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tylertothemax

@hewhosees: haha wow, someone is butt-hurt.
    First of all, your mom is not fictional superhero, Tony Stark is.
    Two, I do not know what your point was there.
    Three, (three comes after two, btw) I don't really know what you are arguing at this point. I said, "i guess it's [PTSD] not a stretch."
    I think you are trying to apply comics/superheros "physics" to real life. IMO, Tony Stark is someone that wouldn't suffer from PTSD, especially before Black Widow and BBanner. I think a lot of people would agree with that.
    But that topic is kind of beside the point, I made a 8 point list that didn't even touch on that...

itwasgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By itwasgood

Arguing about the ptsd is silly. That was by far the least troubling element of this film. I could buy him having some ptsd especially since he was taken completely by surprise by it and didn't even recognise it as a panic attack.

However, no amount of explanations about all the armors being prototypes can possibly convince me that it makes any sense that suits or armor were being taken out left and right by low level extremis goons, be they highly trained or not. These extremis flunkies were taking down armors in a single blow, tearing them apart. Even Pepper having just completed the extremis transformation punches her fist straight through a suit of armor that can withstand heavy artillery or better yet as established in the Avengers multiple blows from THOR the thunder GOD and his hammer, one of the top tier power level characters. The massive way they nerfed the suit of armor in this film makes any notion of him battling an interstellar invasion as he did in Avengers seem ridiculous.

There were so many unexplained weird plot holes, perhaps only from a comic geek's perspective but nonetheless it came to a point i could no longer tolerate.

When they captured rhodey and were trying to extract him from the suit by super heating it and Flunky #1(aka Coldblood never named or identified as anything special in the film) tells killian that he will damage the suit, to which he casually retorts you can fix it. Like its no big thing dealing with some of the highest of technology known to man. Seconds after which we see the Iron Patriot suit back in action.

Shield did need mentioning in some fashion to explain it away that they were not present. This is an international incident directly threatening the life of the president. Any explanation would have sufficed, but if you are setting up a unified universe for all these stand alone films to exist in you can't mention the avengers in one breath for the purposes of ptsd and then ignore everything else that film set up.

Further the overarching evil plot was ridiculous and completely incoherent. How is that the type of goal that the scientist supreme and AIM would strive for? for what for money??? funding??

How about just AIM in general. AIM is meant to be composed of brilliant scientists through and through and lead by the Scientist Supreme elected from amongst them as the pre-eminent mind in their organization. Killian did not once display any semblance of being a scientist much less a brilliant one. At best he came off as the head of a criminal organization that funded Maya's research so that he could bastardise it. Where are all the rest of the scientists?? Where is any semblance of an organization for that matter. There did not seem to be anybody involved in the organization other than Killian himself. Everbody else were just extremis injected soldiers. Literally EVERYBODY. In any and all Marvel continuity AIM is a large organization ( in current continuity they have established themselves as an independent nation!) and all they get is one bullied school kid lashing out at the world who was pranked by an immature Tony Stark. ABSURD!

Referencing your point about Tony assaulting the Mandarin's compound solo with home-depot gear is also completely out of character and ridiculous. With the resources at his disposal there is absolutely no reason or urgency at that point for him to attempt something that stupid, he is no bruce wayne. At the point in the film which this occurred there was no imminent threat or any particular evil plot in play. His mansion destroyed yes but nothing to suggest he needed to stay hidden and not contact anybody or tap his vast resources and tech to help him.

It just goes on and one honestly. Highly disappointed.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: it wouldn't have bothered me so much if the entire movie didn't have problems. If this was the ONLY problem, and they had some other badass villain, i could stomach it a lot better.
    It just goes back to the general public not knowing, and them liking the comedic value.
    Did i appreciate comedic value? Of course.
    I don't need a super serious "by-the-book" Iron Man movie. Just give me something, as a comic reader, to latch onto, (whether it be subtle references, or whatever they can fit into the movie) and give the casual viewers what they want.
    I know we are in the minority, and money has to be made. I'm just asking for a small percent, the casual viewers can have the rest.
    Heck, Ledgers Joker wasn't a by-the-book Joker, but it was still completely badass.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwasgood: Y

Arguing about the ptsd is silly. That was by far the least troubling element of this film. I could buy him having some ptsd especially since he was taken completely by surprise by it and didn't even recognise it as a panic attack.

However, no amount of explanations about all the armors being prototypes can possibly convince me that it makes any sense that suits or armor were being taken out left and right by low level extremis goons, be they highly trained or not. These extremis flunkies were taking down armors in a single blow, tearing them apart. Even Pepper having just completed the extremis transformation punches her fist straight through a suit of armor that can withstand heavy artillery or better yet as established in the Avengers multiple blows from THOR the thunder GOD and his hammer, one of the top tier power level characters. The massive way they nerfed the suit of armor in this film makes any notion of him battling an interstellar invasion as he did in Avengers seem ridiculous.

There were so many unexplained weird plot holes, perhaps only from a comic geek's perspective but nonetheless it came to a point i could no longer tolerate.

When they captured rhodey and were trying to extract him from the suit by super heating it and Flunky #1(aka Coldblood never named or identified as anything special in the film) tells killian that he will damage the suit, to which he casually retorts you can fix it. Like its no big thing dealing with some of the highest of technology known to man. Seconds after which we see the Iron Patriot suit back in action.

Shield did need mentioning in some fashion to explain it away that they were not present. This is an international incident directly threatening the life of the president. Any explanation would have sufficed, but if you are setting up a unified universe for all these stand alone films to exist in you can't mention the avengers in one breath for the purposes of ptsd and then ignore everything else that film set up.

Further the overarching evil plot was ridiculous and completely incoherent. How is that the type of goal that the scientist supreme and AIM would strive for? for what for money??? funding??

How about just AIM in general. AIM is meant to be composed of brilliant scientists through and through and lead by the Scientist Supreme elected from amongst them as the pre-eminent mind in their organization. Killian did not once display any semblance of being a scientist much less a brilliant one. At best he came off as the head of a criminal organization that funded Maya's research so that he could bastardise it. Where are all the rest of the scientists?? Where is any semblance of an organization for that matter. There did not seem to be anybody involved in the organization other than Killian himself. Everbody else were just extremis injected soldiers. Literally EVERYBODY. In any and all Marvel continuity AIM is a large organization ( in current continuity they have established themselves as an independent nation!) and all they get is one bullied school kid lashing out at the world who was pranked by an immature Tony Stark. ABSURD!

Referencing your point about Tony assaulting the Mandarin's compound solo with home-depot gear is also completely out of character and ridiculous. With the resources at his disposal there is absolutely no reason or urgency at that point for him to attempt something that stupid, he is no bruce wayne. At the point in the film which this occurred there was no imminent threat or any particular evil plot in play. His mansion destroyed yes but nothing to suggest he needed to stay hidden and not contact anybody or tap his vast resources and tech to help him.

It just goes on and one honestly. Highly disappointed.

Yeah, Idk why he latched onto a point that i didn't even list.

Throughout the movie i just kept telling myself "3000 degrees C, that's enough to melt a suit, right?...."
    But at this point I know that's completely ridic. And bringing up Thor not being able to crush the suit was a really good point that i completely forgot.

On SHIELD: Once again ANY explanation would have sufficed, but simply not having one was awful.

I lol'd at your home-depot spill. My friend and I were discussing this exact point actually. There was absolutely no need for him to do that. Why couldn't he just fly to Florida, (i think it was Florida) and get a new(er) suit, before making himself look like an ass by getting caught. Dumb.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By danhimself

my biggest problem was the Mark 42 suit and how it was marketed as a new and improved suit and pretty much the prototype to the Extremis armor from the comics but it turns out that it's just a huge P.O.S. that breaks and falls apart and fails on him every chance it gets...I was really expecting that during the final battle Tony would ask Jarvis cryptically "Where is it Jarvis??" and Jarvis would replay "Patience sir it's on it's way" and a few seconds later the Mark 43 suit would arrive just in time to save Tony and help him beat Killian but instead we got Tony getting his a$$ handed to him, the Mark 42 getting destroyed, and Pepper getting super powers and saving the day....lame

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tylertothemax

@danhimself: The movie made it seem as if all of his suits were just suits-in-progress. Even if he got the Mark 43, Killian would have just touched it and made it explode haha
    Shane Black really dropped the ball.

TheGwailo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, after reading all of this I realize that I really didn't like Iron Man 3 at all. Quantifying the outrageous number of holes and missteps has put it in to perspective. I thought at first after the movie that I was just being hard headed and snobbish about my issues, but I know now why I was bummed. My biggest issues are these:

1. As mentioned, why are the suits so crappy? In the first and second movies, Iron Man gets beaten and shot and zapped by all kinds of stuff with almost zero problems, and now all of his tech is made out of foil and erector sets? What is that? How can a kid break off the damn fingers?!

2. Obviously the Mandarin. I can't really add to what everyone has said, but it's really tantamount to, in the middle of Dark Knight, finding out that the Joker is actually just a silly front, and that the accountant who figured out that Bruce Wayne = Batman is the evil mastermind genius. It's dumb, and it leaves lots of fans (and the public who watched and became interested in even one trailer) out in the cold.

3. So Tony Stark gets into a tiff with Rhodey at a birthday party, loses a suit, and Nick Fury IMMEDIATELY leaps into action to track Tony's drunk ass down at a doughnut shop. A super terrorist (supposedly) attacks errbody, blows up embassies, kills a senator, and kidnaps the president, now SHIELD can't spare a lackey to make a press conference? Were they ALL busy? I don't get it. Did Marvel not give Shane Black the rights to use SHIELD? Unbelievable.

4. Zero mention of the Ten Rings - I thought that maybe they would be the ribbon that tied the films together, but no.

5. Little kid helpers/geniuses don't really work. Kids are dumb because they're kids.

6. Pepper could maybe not have gotten super rad powers and instead, she could have become THIS

No Caption Provided
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talked about it today with a coworker actually and I think that putting everything else aside it just comes down to the fact that the movie was marketed completely wrong, and it set people up for something they weren't going to get.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@tylertothemax: THANK you! Yes, way too much humor. His jokin attitude moments after he thinks Pepper presumably died really was the last straw for me I think.

The movie was missing any sort of emotional investment from me. Which yeah, I love a good bit of comedy, but I really above anything else need to have an emotional investment with the characters. Because I mean if I don't care what happens to them what resonance could the story really have?

Oh well. Onward with phase 2! Lets just hope Thor can pick up the slack.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tylertothemax

@nathaniel_christopher: On the contrary! The movie was marketed, dare i say, perfectly? The movie did amazing in the box office and most everyone loved/s it.

BUT, it definitely was NOT marketed towards us, the comic nerd(s). I can't blame the studio for making all the money they possibly can, but throw us a bone! Even the BB cameo at the end (which I watched online because the credits took forever) was a complete joke, literally and figuratively.

Once again, I'll reference Nolan's Batman series. I think they did a terrific job of appealing to the general public, while keeping "us" happy. Dissecting those movies is an entirely new beast, but all-in-all i think they did good both ways.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegwailo: haha I'm glad that you now know you aren't alone in the Iron Man 3.....hate? Let's go with dislike. I didn't hate the movie.
    By ten rings i'm assuming you mean the Gauntlet? I didn't think about that, but that would have been a really really badass cameo at the end. Maybe they'll drop it in Thor?
    On PP, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I'm fine with her being the damsel in distress.
    If you are wanting another hero-type character, I say just gave Iron Pat a bigger role in the movie.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: On the contrary! The movie was marketed, dare i say, perfectly? The movie did amazing in the box office and most everyone loved/s it.

BUT, it definitely was NOT marketed towards us, the comic nerd(s). I can't blame the studio for making all the money they possibly can, but throw us a bone! Even the BB cameo at the end (which I watched online because the credits took forever) was a complete joke, literally and figuratively.

Once again, I'll reference Nolan's Batman series. I think they did a terrific job of appealing to the general public, while keeping "us" happy. Dissecting those movies is an entirely new beast, but all-in-all i think they did good both ways.

I disagree. The movie as it was marketed is nothing like the move actually is. The trailers made it seem as if it would be far darker than it was, when in reality all that darkness was replaced with comedic moments. Also, the movie was going to do well in the box office regardless, due to the fact that the previous two Iron Man movies, and the Avengers all did well. People were going to go see it no matter what. Not to say that it doesn't have its fans, because it does of course. But when you have a trilogy, the first two were successes and then a major team movie featured the character heavily and was also successful, people have no reason not to go see the 3rd.

Agree 100%. It's not a movie for fans of the comics, plain and simple. That's what i've been telling everyone who asks. "If you're not a fan of the comics, you won't have a problem with it, otherwise I really would say you should just wait for the DVD release." The BB cameo was awful. A total waste. Not trying to trash it, because it WAS funny, it really was. But that's not the kind of thing anyone, even the casual fan I think, wants to see. At this point, everyone's come to expect and want to see something that sets up the next film in the universe. The next Thor movie or Captain America.

I think it was an awful comic/Iron Man movie, but a good movie.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By ComicStooge

Iron Man 3 was just a waste.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: "The movie as it was marketed is nothing like the movie actually is. The trailers made it seem as if it would be far darker than it was..."
    Ahhhh, okay. I must have misunderstood you the first time.
    I completely agree with you there.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By jointron33

Iron man 3 is pure ass. The plot is a turkey, the jokes are like sweaty balls (keep being dragged around even though nobody likes them), and the actors are wasted

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

I hated the Mandarin twist, and Guy Pierce was awful; also I wished Tony had suited up in the traditional Iron Man armor just once. Other than that I really enjoyed the movie. Not sure which of the trilogy I like best though.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tylertothemax: It's all subjective at the end of the day. I didn't really mind any of the things you mentioned. The only thing that tweaked me in the slightest was the fire breathing bit.

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chrisj_1

On the topic of Killian, am I the only one who took it that there's nothing to get about his scheme in the movie because there isn't one?

The way I saw it the whole time all he did was research, fund raise, and cover up. He went to Tony and eventually Pepper for backing on his projects, and I like to assume the whole President scheme was him trying to get government backing from the Vice President for killing off the President and healing his daughter. The whole Chinese theater business and the rest of the "attacks" with the exploding guys ending up with an injured Happy and a pissed off Tony was nothing but him testing out Extremis on willing test subjects leading to failure. And last but not least, Mandarin being a cover up for the fact that he's fucked up multiple times. Even the attack on the house I took as him just trying to save face so people don't get suspicious about an absent and/or cowardly Mandarin.

You can't even complain saying that they ruined the Mandarin because, by the way if any of you watch PrettyMuchIt you know where this is from, they portrayed him really good, technically. They made him the ultimate terrorist, the only problem is that in this world he's a fictional character. You can be dissapointed that there wasn't a real Mandarin in the movie but you can't say they ruined the character.

Anyways that's how I like to explain the movie to myself. And based on that perception of it I love the movie. I took it as extremely original and just ingenious really it's not a normal villain story just bad business. It strays away from the usual comic book film idea of an ultimate villain raising the stakes being all serious and personal for the hero(es). Basically it was the Anti-Avengers movie. For me at least. It breaks up the monotony.

P.S. You're mad about the breathing fire? Dude, the super-strength, super-speed, and fire-breathing were all in the comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.