Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Ultimate Armor Wars #1 REVIEWED

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I actually remember the first time we saw the Armor Wars in the late 80s.  Iron Man's suit is a powerful weapon.  Obviously it shouldn't fall into the wrong hands.  With Ultimate Iron Man, you'd almost think this would've happened sooner.  Despite his drinking issues, perhaps we can lay blame on Ultimatum

I'm really curious about what people think about Iron Man these days.  He was awesome in the movie but he's had a bad reputation since Civil War, the death of Captain America and how he dropped the ball after the Secret Invasion.  The Ultimate version isn't any easier to like.  He still has major drinking issues.  Perhaps that's what makes him more interesting.  He has this problem.  He knows it.  Everyone else knows it.  Yet he's still allowed to go out in his suit and play the super hero. 

I had some doubts over buying this mini series.  I just wasn't sure if a series based on this Iron Man would keep my interest.  Plus the fact that I've already been through one Armor War.  But then I realized it was written by Warren Ellis.  That right there is pretty much all the reason you'd need.  The art by Steve Kurth is really nice.  I'm not sure if I really like the design of the Ultimate Iron Man suit but Kurth makes it work.  The amount of detail he puts in looks great as well. 

When all is said and done, I'm curious what this Armor Wars will bring us.  Since we almost have the "anything goes" attitude in the Ultimate Universe and with Warren Ellis writing, this could be a really interesting ride.  The only real problem I have is that this seems to occur shortly after Ultimatum while both Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Avengers take place months after.  I can live with it though.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Media_Master

I'm curious how the original Armor Wars went... however I enjoyed the art and Tony being himself.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

At first I was with you G-Man, I was going to pass on this book, even though I do love how Ult. Tony is in this Universe, I just didn't seen that interested, I saw the cover and didn't like it, but then I saw some preview art and gave it a shot, Ellis is a good writer, I liked his Ultimate Human book that was put out a while back, and figured I give this one a try, the book didn't grab me like UCA or UCSM, but it is only #1, I did find is funny seeing the painting in Tony's office with him holding the Iron Man hemet and holding his hand up towards God, when I saw that I was like "Yep, that's Tony Stark alright", the book overall was good, I was pick up #2, just to see where this is going.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

The Ultimate titles really make things interesting in putting their own twists on standing titles. Even look how they created their Spider-woman, Jessica Drew. She is basically a female clone of Peter Parker (ala X-23). I enjoy this take on things.
    Really, it sounds silly, but knowing what jerk Stark has become in the comics made it difficult to get excited about the Iron Man movie when I first heard about it. Thankfully, they got Robert Downey Jr, who I am a huge fan; and made all that go away.
    Here's hoping Dark Reign and return of Captain America redeems his character.

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tmul501

Who's the ghost from 616 you're talking about. I can't find a page that talks about him/her. Also, I agree. I wasn't going to pick this up but I did anyway and I really like it. Ultimate Iron-man isn't my favorite ultimate character, but i really dig this so far.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@Tmul501 said:

"Who's the ghost from 616 you're talking about. I can't find a page that talks about him/her. Also, I agree. I wasn't going to pick this up but I did anyway and I really like it. Ultimate Iron-man isn't my favorite ultimate character, but i really dig this so far. "

Here you go - Ghost    

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck

That guy's so sneaky, he won't even show up in our search.  He's a literal Ghost creeping between the pages here.  That's quite some power if he can even evade our search system.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I was going to pass on this title as well, but then I read through a bit of it at the shop and had to have it. Besides its only a four issue mini, won't brake the bank. I enjoy the Utlimate Iron Man more then his 616 counter part, the biggest reason is because he's a huge womanizing drunk and he doesn't apologize for it. Once they took that away from the 616 Tony he almost became unbearable.

I also like the ultimate design over any other Iron Man armor, it looks what one would think a power exosuit would look like if someone built it now, stream lined yet bulky. Not the form fitting suit he wears in 616, until recently that is. Welcome back Mk I!

Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pez85

SWEET JIMMINY CHRISTMAS!!! The first explosion sound effect scared the crap out of me.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jefprice

Iron Man is always awesome no matter what U it's in. And his post SI books are flat out awesome as is most of his adventuring after wrongly receiving blame for RS whacking cap.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Bruce Vain

Okkk so this Armor Wars might be where they're gonna introduce Stark's brother that I read about in an article in Wizard about the Ultimate Verse. 

I'm digging the way Ultimate Ghost looks btw.
    TelekineticSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TelekineticSun
    @Pez85 said:
    "SWEET JIMMINY CHRISTMAS!!! The first explosion sound effect scared the crap out of me. "

Me too. Good sound effects G-man.
    Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Crackdown

I pretty much enjoy all of the Ultimate titles. I've read comics growing up, but Ultimate puts things in a refrshing interesting way. I really like Ultimate Iron Man, I own both of his books where he is a kid that have him radicalyy different. INteresting to note though, that when he first had alchohol, he could not get drunk, but now he can.
    dc-kid21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By dc-kid21

now i want to read this

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Pez85:
    " SWEET JIMMINY CHRISTMAS!!! The first explosion sound effect scared the crap out of me. "
    @TelekineticSun:
    " @Pez85 said:
    "SWEET JIMMINY CHRISTMAS!!! The first explosion sound effect scared the crap out of me. "
    Me too. Good sound effects G-man. "
    Ha ha, sorry guys.  Originally, I just did an explosion sound FX with my voice.  You can sorta hear the end of it over the trailing off of the explosion.  Then once I added the actual sound, I debated whether or not I should turn it down a little, like I did the second.  Obviously, I decided not to.  Just wanna keep you guys on your toes when you watch my vids.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goldenkey

I wasn't an Avengers fan until I read the Ultimates.   I loved it when Tony download Black Widows memories into his own head via the nanites in her body and then smashed a bottle on her head and said "Billionares don't get rich by being stupid"  Something gritty about the Ultimate line.  The characters all seem to be a little bit more violent then the 616.  Hulk eating people, Captain America killing insurgents with grenades, Hawkeye flicking off his fingernails into peoples throats.  It's great.
    Inthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Inthedark
    @Bruce Vain: 
    Nope we see the Dr stark at the end of ultimate Avengers Issue 2 Something about a black widow Mk II oh     is this where we get ultimate Yelena Belova                           
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Inthedark:
    ahh ok thanks Inthedark - I haven't read any Ultimate titles since the whole Ultimatum storyline started with the dealing with the big secret of them being all connected.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By Comiclove5

That first explosion scared the heck out of me.
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mattydeNero

I read this yesterday.  My way of purchasing the book kind of sucks because I thought it wasn't pulled for me last week.  So I called my store and told them to throw a copy in my box.  Turns out, I'm an idiot and I was the one that left it in the bag in my comicroom.  So I have two copies now.  Geez.  At least Wareen Ellis rocks the spot everytime.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.