Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Secret identity

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was watching Iron Man 1 on FX(prob my favorite of the 3) and as most of you know he announce at the end of the movie he was Iron Man, which at the time was epic and all, but i have to ask. At what point in the comics did Tony became public with his identity? Was it Civil War?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Damn,I just saw it,too.....but I don't think it was Civil War,I think it was WAAY before that....I think.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hushofthewind: I watched that too. It was on today lol.

"Public Identity Reveal and Secretary of Defense

Stark would later reveal his identity to the world when saving a puppy from a speeding car since he was unable to completely mask himself in time. Afterwards, Tony discovered that the Government was once again using his technology, and was able to do so legally due to a copyright loophole that Tony exposed himself to by revealing his secret identity. Tony decided to accept a Presidential appointment to serve as the President's new Secretary of Defense so that he could monitor and direct the use of his technology by the Government."

--Comic Vine

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think it was sometime between 1998 and 2006, as I remember him not even revealing his identity to some team members during Kurt Busieks run.

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow...way to spoil the ending, man

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcandmarvelcomicfan: you didn't ask me, but I'm bored at work so I'll just add my two cents.

I don't think so because Ironman and Tony Stark being public has become such a normal thing now, so many fans of Ironman (both from the movies and from the comics) are already accustomed to the idea that he's one of the only heroes that is comfortable being publicly known. I think it's a step backward for his character

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: I was thinking the same thing. I think most people who read iron man ONLY started because of the movies. But I'm reading iron man's Pre-2000s comics, and I like the different feel compare to his current comics.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcandmarvelcomicfan: yeah, but I think with almost any character pre/mid-2000s comics are probably the best lol. And I think back then it was writers making a story about Tony Stark and Ironman as opposed to now they are kind of trying too hard to make Tony act a lot like RDJ which is cool...but idk...weird too. yu'know what I mean?

but yeah 2000's and 90s comics are probably peak for almost any character

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: I honestly don't really like that they made Comic Iron Man act and look like RDJr's Iron man. I they think should keep them different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ffs91: Nah I don't see the appeal. In the modern era, he's got suits that can just fly on around him. If he had to run to a bathroom or broom closet instead of armoring up in a flashy or instantaneous way, I think that would defeat the purpose of it. I did enjoy the secret identity, but if writers want to explore that then they should write flashback stories. Currently, I think the Marvel universe would be too different if they viewed Iron Man as a bodyguard.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ffs91: Nah I think Iron Man's better off not having a secret identity nowadays. He's progressed passed that phase.

theGreySoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As people have said, it would be too much of a hassle for him to have a secret identity. Tony’s identity being public is unique since Its something quite different than other superheroes like Spider-Man. His identity being outed has led to many interesting stories as-well.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ffs91: No, it would be a step backwards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: I'm curious, did you know iron man had a Secret identity before? I think he reveled it in 2002.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreysoldier: Spider Man reveled his identity once, but i think they used OMD to retcon it.

They would have to pull some crazy retcon to fix that for IM. Plus they need to fix that adopted retcon anyway.

theGreySoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ffs91: Yeah I know, I just think Iron man not having a secret identity is unique.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ffs91 said:

@thor-parker: I'm curious, did you know iron man had a Secret identity before? I think he reveled it in 2002.

Of course I knew, I might not be as well versed with classic Iron Man as I am with Post-Extremis, but I have read the essentials like Armor Wars I & II and Demon in a Bottle, I know for most of his career his identity was secret, though I didn't know the exact issue he revealed it, and thanks to this thread I know now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.