Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The actor discusses his experience playing the villain in the Iron Man sequel

No Caption Provided

One character I am really looking forward to seeing interact with Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark is Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer. I feel like the most interesting adversaries in comics are those that create non physical obstacles for the hero. That is exactly what Justin Hammer does in the comic. However, I was slightly disappointed upon discovering that the Rockwell did not consider his character to be particularly threatening in the film, which he indicated in a recent interview.

I’m a rival to Tony Stark. I’m a weapons dealer. He’s [Justin Hammer] kind of more of the plucky comic relief, but he’s got a little bit of an edge. He’s a little pissed off...He’s a little more Salieri than he is the plucky comic relief, but Mickey Rourke is really the bad guy...[Justin Hammer is] a cross between the agent character in Entourage and Salieri and maybe Bill Murray in Kingpin.

I had envisioned major sparks flying when it was announced that they would have Justin Hammer appear opposite Tony Stark in the upcoming film.However, based on actor Sam Rockwell's description, it hardly seems threatening. However, Rockwell does expand on why he decided to be a part of the upcoming film, and it is not just because of all that money.

It’s a really good group of actors, actually, when you think about it. I mean, you’ve got Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, Robert Downey Junior. Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson. Not to mention a lot of other actors. Gary Shandling. Jon Favreau and I worked together on a movie called Made, and he’s a lovely guy. He’s really good with actors, really good director. The Marvel guys are great guys. Kevin and Jeremy, they’re really low key and very helpful. Justin Theroux, who’s a friend of mine, wrote the script,. We did theater in Williamstown back in the day, and he wrote Tropic Thunder, so it’s got really good pedigree behind it.

I still have hope for the portrayal of Justin Hammer in the upcoming film. Who is your favorite Marvel villain and why? Has there ever been a character portrayal on the big screen that you really did not like?
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

That's kind of dissappointing
Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Moomin123

Justin Hammer is a little bit like Tony Stark's Lex Luthor.
scott_smith65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By scott_smith65

This guy seriously isn't comparing himself to Bill "Ghost-Mother- F'in'-Busting" Murray is he? I mean come on, no one these days is that good. Sounds more like Hammer will be a setup for the 3rd movie villian possibly, based on what he said?

jedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jedd

isnt he ment to be old?
Sheep-Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Sheep-Kill

Personally my favorite marvel villains are; 
Blackout:(Ghost Rider) He's got that menacing twisted aura about him.  Plus he just keeps coming back and is truly sadistic. 
Pyro:(X-Men) A tragic hero in a few ways.  He is fighting for a cause but the way it is expelled is more barbaric. More depth then Avalanche and Blob. 
Carange:  Just loves to murder. Ever since he was a kid.  Just as bad before the symbiote took over. 

Worse Marvel Characters seen on film would have to be Blackheart, Venom, And Juggernaut. 

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Psyentist

My favourite Marvel villain? Hm, I'm going to have to think about this...

...or not.

DR. DOOM!!!!!

Simply because he is awesome. Powerful, smart, rich, intimidating, vain, evil. Perfection.

Has there ever been a bad portrayal of him? Yeah. I got nothing against Julian McMahon, but I didn't like how Dr. Doom was portrayed in the FF movies. And I really wanted a power suit not a radiation mutation like the FF. I didn't see enough intellectual competition between Reed and Doom. Just fighting over turning Doom being angry Reed accidentally turned him into a freak (not completely unlike the comics, different purpose) and 'fighting' over Jessi...uh, I mean, Sue Storm.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Agent Buttons
@jedd said:
"isnt he ment to be old? "

yes
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt

You know, for all the Marvel heroes I like. I can't really think of a favorite 'villain'. I guess I would say Mystique, but she's a bit more complex then your classic villain. I adored Mike Carey's writing of her character during the whole Supernovas and Blinded by the Light stories.

I think DC actually has some more impressive villains. Riddler and Joker to name a few. Though I really don't consider Catwoman a villain. Anti-hero is more like it. She can do heroic things when she wants.

ShadowFade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadowFade
@Sheep-Kill: Juggernaut, Blackheart, and Venom were horrible. Don't forget Poison Ivy and Dr. Freeze from Batman and Robin movie. Horrible, just horrible! I did not like Collin as Bullseye in Daredevil either 
Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tyler Starke
@The Psyentist said:
"

...or not.

DR. DOOM!!!!!

Simply because he is awesome. Powerful, smart, rich, intimidating, vain, evil. Perfection.

Has there ever been a bad portrayal of him? Yeah. I got nothing against Julian McMahon, but I didn't like how Dr. Doom was portrayed in the FF movies. And I really wanted a power suit not a radiation mutation like the FF. I didn't see enough intellectual competition between Reed and Doom. Just fighting over turning Doom being angry Reed accidentally turned him into a freak (not completely unlike the comics, different purpose) and 'fighting' over Jessi...uh, I mean, Sue Storm.

"
haha SECONDED!! Dr.Doom is the best marvel villain. I hope the FF reboot finally figures out how to showcase one of the most bada$$ villains in comic book history.
Avatar image for mighty_destroyer
Mighty_Destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Mighty_Destroyer

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Dr. Detfink

For any one who saw Moon, you know Sam Rockwell can bring his A game. That's why it doesn't bother me that they changed the idea of creepy old Justin Hammer, a crime lord who stole Stark Tech for a cheap buck.

Such a collection of actors is going to heighten the performances because as the interview sounds...every one wants to do a stellar job. Similar to what Michael Caine said of the Batman films, there was competitive fun. No one wants to be upstaged by the other.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

Blackheart was god awful.  I was waiting for a paper bag to enter the scene.  I guess Defoe as Green Goblin was because he kind of nailed the character and looks like him (not in the suit of course)  It's the D.C. villians that have fallen hard, but have done the best to.  The 2 jokers were great as was Ras Al Ghul, but my favorite is a non-Marvel or DC villian and that was Samuel Jackson as Mr Glass in Unbreakable.  It just took me by surprise, and reminds me of the perfect orgin story done in a Hitcockian way.  After that movie it showed that comic books can be done as a movie if done right, and that the story not the effects are what drives it.
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goldenkey
@The Psyentist said:
"

...or not.

DR. DOOM!!!!!

"

You actually liked  this Dr Doom?  His voice just killed it for me. 
waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By waruikumo
@Tyler Starke:  

Doom maybe the best marvel character period.
The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Psyentist
@Tyler Starke said:
" @The Psyentist said:
"

...or not.

DR. DOOM!!!!!

"
haha SECONDED!! Dr.Doom is the best marvel villain. I hope the FF reboot finally figures out how to showcase one of the most bada$$ villains in comic book history. "

Woot!

@waruikumo said:

" @Tyler Starke:   Doom maybe the best marvel character period. "
I'll agree with that.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Om1kron

lulz at the pun video.

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By drawme

My fav villain? Venom.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123
@drawme said:

"My fav villain? Venom. "

Second that motion, and hope the spinoff does well... or at least gets the LOOK right. 

I mean, they made a set of
I mean, they made a set of "Lord of the rings" movies, how hard could THIS be to get into the screen?

Obviously, Spider-man can' t be in the movie, but still. lol.
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crazywolf

I'll wait and see as usual Rockwell's portrayal of Hammer before I get any opinions about his role. 

One of my favorite villains is Doom and Julian McMahon would have been great and evil as Doom in the FF movie. It was the script and how the screenwriter wrote the character that made it go in a negative direction for me. 

The screenwriter emphasized Doom's ego and treachery almost perfectly but downplayed his genius. Doom was turned into a mutated villain who relied on his powers instead of his own vast intellect.

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By grimreaper1980

i think he was a good choice

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.