Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11208 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Sam Rockwell Talks About Justin Hammer For Iron Man 2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    I will admit that when Sam Rockwell was in the rumor stage of being attached to "Iron Man 2," I did not think it would be as Justin Hammer.  Justin Hammer is a really old dude and Rockwell isn't.  I know Hollywood often...changes characters for movie adaptions but I didn't think Jon Favreau would. 

Rockwell has since been confirmed as Hammer.  When talking to MTV, Rockwell addressed the age difference.
    They wanted to go with a rival for Tony Stark who is closer to his age, and make him American.

When shown an actual comic appearance of Hammer, Rockwell commented that it looked more like Jeremy Irons.
    I guess they couldn’t get Jeremy Irons for it.

This goes back to the debate on changing characters for movies.  Obviously this isn't the same as changing Deadpool or (spoiler) making Emma Frost as Silver Fox's sister.  It makes sense that Favreau would want a younger business rival for Stark.  Obadiah Stane is out of the picture.  Mandarin may appear later (in Iron Man 3).  A generic character could have been created but since it's a lesser known character like Justin Hammer, I suppose we can overlook it.

How do you feel about Rockwell as Justin Hammer?  Tony Stark is going to be pretty busy in the next movie.
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

It's fine. Not a big deal. Overlook it.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Darkchild

Rockwell can pull off the crazed off the friggin wall bonkers characters, so maybe he can play an intelligent one. Who knows

elessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By elessar

It's gonna be great anyway.What I really want to see is IRON MAN and WAR MACHINE ,that's my main concern .I trust that Favreau and RDJ will surprise us once more . . . . IRON MAN Rocks!!!

can't wait !!!!!!

wordchallenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By wordchallenge

I agree.  No big deal.  Getting mad about a change to Justin Hammer is kind of nitpicky.  Hollywood could've done a LOT worse to the movie. And I like Rockwell.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Tony's got lots of work to do, wonder how he's going to make time for the ladies? you know what ladies I'm talking about

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Well this hardly a big deal. Totally fine with this

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Seriously, this one time, it's a non-issue.  Many of the other super hero movies' changes have been far more annoying and flagrant.    This one will work.   I like War Killer's thinking.

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By amberlove

I've loved Sam Rockwell since Galaxy Quest so I'm cool with it.

Dr. ? man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dr. ? man

This is one change that actually makes sense because Justin Hammer would be more effective as a rival to Tony if he were younger. It's going to be interesting to see Sam Rockwell's take on the character. Although personally I would prefer someone more extravagant like Madame Masque as oppose to another suit villain but at least Justin Hammer was always a credible Iron Man rogue.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

I'll wait and see, movie still sounds good

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the Vica

He's gonna be way better as a young man than an old dude.

Besides, we just had Obadiah, he was pretty old... Don't wanna get repetitive.

As long as they keep him as a business rival and don't give him a suit, I'm happy about the change.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I have no problem with this, Sam Rockwell is a good actor he was hilarious in Hitchhiker's Guide and pretty funny in Green Mile. I don't really know what other movies he was in, but hey won't know until you see right.

Arcainite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Arcainite

Since Backlash mostly only worked for Justin Hammer and is going to be played by Mickey Rourke in Iron Man 2, it's pretty safe to say that Backlash will be Hammer's chief enforcer.  The only question is will any of Hammer's other employees make an appearance? Justin Hammer fields a virtual army of super-villains.
    I don't mind the age difference, but I think they should have gotten Jeremy Irons.  LOL.

RangerDutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RangerDutch

Are you kidding me? Rockwell already played a really cool psychotic millionaire in the first Charlie's Angels flick. He'd be perfect for this! Not to mention, I'm sure they want someone younger who can be in the next few installments. No issue, let's see what he does with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.