inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided
Recently, Yahoo News UK reported that Robert Downey Jr. was involved in the rewrite process with Iron Man 2. For those already "facepalming" I've got more news for you, he did the same thing for the first Iron Man film. Yahoo News UK interviewed director Jon Favreau about this:

Robert is a real partner in the process. He's been very involved in the screenplay. When he went away to do Sherlock Holmes he was still part of our creative process. Even in the first film, where he was originally a hired gun playing the role, he really stepped up to rewrite scenes - he's a great writer, too. So we really are sharing the responsibilities.

Jon Favreau considers RDJ a "great writer." Hopefully, there are some sighs of relief. If you remember a couple years back, Edward Norton had more involvement in The Incredible Hulk, and when the movie didn't do as well as expected, many people decided to put the blame on Norton, which was unjustifiable.  Luckily, RDJ wants this film to be good, not another garbage sequel.

We are grinding our minds and hearts in the ground on this movie. Could we have just skated through a sequel and would it probably have made the same box-office numbers? Yes, sure. 

When you hear about actors being involved in the writing process, you are probably just like me, and you get a little uneasy. It's like seeing that awkward moment in some random movie where the director decides to act as an extra in a scene; they stand out awkwardly. However, RDJ being involved in the writing process doesn't make me weary at all, especially knowing that he was involved with the rewrites in the first movie. What do you guys think?

Iron Man 2 hits theaters May 2010.
Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By They Killed Cap!

...IDK not sure I think they should leave the writing to the writers and people who know what they are really writing about as opposed to what the Star might like. The first Iron Man was good but not great. Lets see if they destroy another marvel master piece by putting it on film. 

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By SevanGrim

RDJ is epic talent. I would let him right whatever he wanted if he asked. He's not the type to go diving into things half-arsed. 
i want iron man 2 previews! most movies start giving them to you a year ahead of time. I'm sure we'll get one with Sherlock Holmes, but i want one now. even a teaser will do.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I don't see why this should bother anyone. He's a brilliant actor who really owns the roles he takes. Now, if Megan Fox was involving herslef in writing the scripts for movies I would begin to worry.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Agent Buttons
@FoxxFireArt said:
"I don't see why this should bother anyone. He's a brilliant actor who really owns the roles he takes. Now, if Megan Fox was involving herslef in writing the scripts for movies I would begin to worry. "

look out for Jeniffer's Body 2 The Revenge of the Cuticles...
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By UnsolvedParadox

First one turned out well, I'm willing to trust him again on this film.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Decept-O
@FoxxFireArt said:
"I don't see why this should bother anyone. He's a brilliant actor who really owns the roles he takes. Now, if Megan Fox was involving herslef in writing the scripts for movies I would begin to worry. "

LMAO!!!!
Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Moomin123

Who better to think of ideas for Iron Man than the guy in the suit?
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey

I would think he did the re-writes in the terms of what his dialouge would be and not so much the plot change
deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I liked what he brought to the screen as Tony Stark and Iron Man and how he changed through the story from being superficial and shallow to a hero. The dialogue with Gwyneth Paltrow seemed pretty natural. It'll be interesting to see where he goes in the sequel. 

Avatar image for marshal_victory
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marshal Victory

sadly many a actor think their writers,an help rewrite their roles because their star status.which can be good but is mostly bad bad an um bad.as pointed out norton got the blame for hulk not doing well .oddly tho  Johnny Depp   wasnt realy critized much for his reworking his character in  From Hell (film).    proby because world wide it cleared its budget an made a bit . 

thats the key a actor can if big enuff of a star rewrite his character an be  for it long as the movie does well enuff.source material be damed.that said Robert Downey Jr is a great talent .hes got a background for film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Downey_Jr    . tho every time i se him i think of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_School where  Rodney Dangerfield said he was "the poster child for birth control."  

hes become a award wining actor .not a emptie suit by far.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jefprice

From what I've read RDJ has had input n most of his newer projects. 

Iron Man was one of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen, and as an IM fanboy I was pretty worried about it. This one looks like it'll beat the first to death with it's armored bootie

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Im sure on the DVD they state that he came up with some of the best lines in the film and ad-libbing some of them to,something Favreau  was giving him high praise for and I dont see why not ether, he is a very talented actor and the more they are involved should show their commitment to the project 

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Psyentist
@Agent Buttons said:

" @FoxxFireArt said:

Appropriately hellish. Seriously...that would be horrific TORTURE! (And not in a good-horror-movie kind of way.)
Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce Vain

I already knew about how involved he was with the first one. It was on IFC some sort of special cause Jon had his show on there, and they talked about how RDJ would have an office right next to Jon and how Rob would constantly going  over the script or rewriting stuff with Jon. RDJ knows what he's doing he's been in this movie game for yeeeeears. Same with Norton and I thought he did an excellent job rewriting some of the stuff in HULK.
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crazywolf

I'm not worried about it. The Iron Man movie may not have been great but I loved it. I enjoyed it more than Transformers, G.I. Joe, Star Trek and The Dark Knight. Besides I don't have any opinions about the movie until it comes out then I'll know for certain.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Korg

Good.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Media_Master

So what did he rewrite in particular his own lines, or what?

Elian Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Elian Allen

Iron Man 1 was a sensation cut the bs people

~Mystery~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ~Mystery~
@Agent Buttons said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:

look out for Jeniffer's Body 2 The Revenge of the Cuticles... "
I threw up a little
drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By drawme

Great.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Yung ANcient One

RBJ is EPic@Grim said:

" RDJ is epic talent. "
took the words outta my mouth
Look IMO
Robert Downey JR
Jonny Depp
Christian Bale
Ryan Reynolds
Will Smith
Denzel Washington
Tom Cruise
are Epic Talent to almost play any role given to them and can do almost no wrong... i know will mest up with Wild Wild West and etc
but still anything with them on it i kno will be at least Cool imo... and most probably AWESOME...
grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By grimreaper1980

that's good, i think he was the best cast hero since wesley snipes' blade

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.