Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Off My Mind: Piracy And Movies

• 61 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    We all know piracy is wrong. A headline I saw yesterday 'inspired' today's edition of Off My Mind. Iron Man 2 has debuted overseas last week and opens in North America this week. As can be expected, pirated copies have already surfaced. I don't want this to turn into me preaching against the evil of piracy but there are some things that need to be considered and some things that I just don't understand.

Piracy hurts the industry. The "excuse" I've seen for some in watching pirated movies is they feel they're entitled to seeing it for free. They don't feel they should have to pay ten bucks to be entertained. It's not cheap to make a movie like Iron Man 2. The movie had a budget of $200 million. You also have to think about the costs in promoting and advertising the movie. Yes the movie has made a reported $100 million in ticket sales already but I don't think that justifies what comes down to simply stealing. 

Now I'm sure that some that watch a pirated version early will say that they will still buy a ticket and see it in movie theaters. This is the part I don't understand. For a movie as special effects driven as Iron Man, I just couldn't see watching an inferior version of the movie. I don't want to see a shaky camcorder version of any movie. Even if a really good copy was made available, these movies should be seen and enjoyed on the big screen.

I mentioned that piracy hurts the industry. Another excuse is Hollywood makes millions off the movies and don't deserve the individual's hard earned money. Let's shift our focus to some recently released animated movies. There's been grumblings over the fact that Warner Bros. canceled the animated Green Lantern and Wonder Woman sequels. Why were they canceled? They were canceled because of 'underperformance.' In other words, as great as those movies were, not enough people actually paid to watch them. If a movie doesn't make enough of a profit, there's no reason a studio will want to continue to make them. While some viewers may have enjoyed a 'free movie' by watching bootlegged copies or even watching on sites like youtube, now the chances of seeing more have been taken away.

I think another part of watching pirated movies is being able to tell others you watched it first. Some of this carries over to the other side. Those that upload the pirated material get to be the "hero" giving free content away. I'm sure you've heard about the recent cases against the guy that uploaded X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The guy claimed he bought a bootleg copy on the streets and then uploaded it. He could be facing three years in jail and a $250,000 fine or "twice the gross gain or gross loss attributable to the offense." It may sound harsh but it was estimated that 4.1 million people watched it illegally. Assuming we go with an average of $10 a movie ticket. That's $41 million dollars in ticket sales. Some of those 4.1 million may have actually gone and seen the movie in theaters but I'm sure there were lots that decided they didn't want to watch it again. 

I know there are arguments that piracy doesn't have that much of an impact. If a movie is great, the word of mouth could be considered free advertising. It could also be said that some that take the time to watch a pirated version probably wouldn't want to see the movie in theaters anyway. I just don't understand the want or need to see an inferior version. I'm not trying to judge anyone here. People can do what they feel is "right." I just can't condone the act. I will be watching Iron Man 2 as it was meant to be seen. Hopefully you will as well.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Agent Buttons
    I will be seeing it in the theaters too, sir.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Theodore

Same, no shaky cams for me. The sound quality is always horrible in those too.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Hell we are seeing it twice in the theatres!! 

gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By gui22

I already seen the movie in  theaters

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Theodore
    @gui22: Do you live in Europe?
    LeonRadford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By LeonRadford

I think if it "Hurts the industry" so much. They should release a movie on the same date ALL around the world. Surely that would stop a lot (not all), but a lot of "pirates". If a vast majority simply wanted to be first or "couldn't wait" to see a movie. Releasing on the same date worldwide would placate these people and lose the "pirates" some trade.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Precise

Pirating will happen anyway, wetter it be movies, comics, games, programs or music. They can up the laws for it and they'd still do it.

gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gui22
    @Theodore: Yep
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aztek the lost said:
    " I may see it in theaters or just rent it on DVD five years down the road, I'm rarely in a hurry to watch a new movie "
    unless its of the adult variety XD ;p
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By doordoor123

Well X-men origins: Wolverine was a bigger kind of piracy. And it did actually make less people pay for the movie.
    I agree piracy is horrible. It was Ironman's fault for not opening in the US first. The biggest profit comes from the US.
    And ive actually payed for every movie ive ever seen (Wonder Woman/GL animated included)
    IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH PEOPLES SENSE OF JUSTICE.
    and obviously people who use piracy as a way to watch films dont believe in whats right and wrong. YES im judging you!
    Its just stupid to even watch a bootleg. You dont even get the full movie experience and its a rip off and you feel disappointed. Why even do it?

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By The Jeff

going on friday at 12:05am. Iron Man 2 4 Life lol

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By doordoor123
    @The Jeff:  ME TOOO. same exact time. lol
    longas91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By longas91

Iron Man 2 was a great movie, the special effects were incredible. Although, story wise, i have to say that I enjoyed Iron Man more. Although, some things that were in the movie made up for it, and some just got me pissed off. haha Not going to spoil anything, but be prepared! haha oh, and btw... I live in San Diego, and apparently the movie was released on the 29th of April in Mexico, so i headed down the border and saw it in Tijuana! haha Gotta say it's much more cheaper than American theaters and way more luxurious! haha was really impressed. But yeah, Overall, the movie was an awesome one.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Theodore
    @gui22: Better, As Good, or Worse than the first?
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Namor1987

I'll go see it for free legally because I work at a movie theater. Plus IMO people who pirate movies & comics deserve to be locked up or fine because the people who made the stuff intended for us to see or read whatever it is in its natural form. DON"T PIRATE

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Namor1987
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    " I may see it in theaters or just rent it on DVD five years down the road, I'm rarely in a hurry to watch a new movie "
    unless its of the adult variety XD ;p "
    PG now you're a mod lol jk you should know better
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By mimschkin

There's this thing here in the UK whereby students get free admission to certain preview screenings. Just before I saw Kick-Ass for free, a notice came up on the screen accompanied by a voice saying 'Thank you for paying to see this film and supporting the industry'. Apparently they're putting their energy in the wrong place.
    Anyway, I don't watch lousy quality films online because I simply don't trust the websites. The cost is much bigger for you if you get a nasty virus and have to pay to get it fixed in PC World. Other than that, I don't mind waiting for something to be on Sky Movies. I do however think it is moronic that these companies are pursuing single people and pinning it on them. It's thousands of people who download film. Also, I'm not keen on the idea of an industry punishing its consumers, but it's all a shady grey area.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

most of the time pirated movies are of such low quality its not worth the effort of finding them and honestly id preferre to pay for it and not have to attemp to make out whats going on with choppy sound and crappy picture with the added bonus of possible arrest for the at best third of the movie that actually could be seen and heard clearly

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Namor1987 said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    PG now you're a mod lol jk you should know better "
    lol I just playing
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By DMC

Nothing beats the movie theater experience IMHO. 

Not only do you get to see the movie on a giant screen with surround sound (bigger than any TV on the market I'm sure), but you're in an audience of which you will share the highs, lows and funny moments in the movie. More or less, watching the movie with a large crowd makes it feel more like an event.  And lets not forget being uninterrupted by the outside world, but that depends on how attached you are to your cell phone.  

Take Lord of the Rings for example. Watching such a big and (dear I say) epic movie on a bootleg copy or online doesn't do the movie justice.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Namor1987
    " @Namor1987 said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    PG now you're a mod lol jk you should know better "
    lol I just playing "
    yep yep Ik same here
    Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @LeonRadford: But you forget -- X-Men Origins: Wolverine was out before it even premiered anywhere. A month before so. Someone's gonna get their hands on it no matter what they do. Unless they hide the film from everyone (don't show trailers, etc...) and then surprise everyone with it on the day it's out. But, let's face it, they ain't gonna do that.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By joshmightbe
    @DMC:
    actually there is a tv bigger than most movies screens in japan its the toshiba 2651 its 4 stories tall tho i doubt itd be readily available to the general public
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By KRYPTON

Piracy is bad. If people don't want to see the movie in theaters, wait for it to come out on dvd and blu-ray. Sure it will cost 15-20 dollars for special editions, but after you buy it, it will be free. So the person can watch it as long as they want, and as many times as they want. 

NickWebb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NickWebb

i went to see the preview on the 29th and loved it. though i have to admit, i have since downloaded a crap copy. i refuse to pay for the cinema again. even with this download, i will still buy the dvd and blu-ray. so considering i will have spent £40 on viewing Iron Man 2, is it that bad that i have an illegal copy as well?
    Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Argentino_18

Even if I could get it in a shop near my house at the price of five pesos (4 pesos are 1 dollar) I will buy Iron-man with his proper DVD, just like I did with the Dark Knight

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

When your\'re a professional pirate, that's what the jobs about

Walker2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Walker2814

While I have no personal knowledge of how "hurt" studios are by piracy, I do know about my experiences with bootleg copies.  I haven't purchased a bootleg copy of a movie in a number of years, I'm with you G-Man, I want the production value and I don't mind at all paying for my entertainment.  But of the few films I have purchased bootleg copies of, I have seen every one in theaters first AND purchased the DVD/Blu-ray of the film later.  I don't think piracy is about not wanting to pay to see the film, I think its more about fans wanting to see the film over and over again.  Sure this may not be true of everyone, but I'd venture to guess that if your hunting down a pirated copy of the film its because you already feel a connection to it.   

Take my family's experience with the first Iron Man.  My mom and sisters, who are not big into comics, loved the first film and saw it, if memory serves 4 or 5 times in the theater.  That's 1 ticket for mom, I have 3 little sisters, not counting friends that may have gone, your talking more than 20 tickets to that film being sold to my family alone.  Later that summer, one of my sister's friends went to NYC on vacation and brought her back a bootleg copy of Iron Man because she knew how much my family enjoyed it.  They watched that who knows how many times AND bought the DVD the first day it was out. 

Anyone think this is a bit more common than the studios would like you to believe?

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#30  Edited By Aspenite

The article tells the truth. Piracy is bad!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By goldenkey

Actually someone I know said they watched Ironman 2 yesturday at their work and then someone else they knew had a copy of it.  Both versions were (ARRRG) pirates, but he said he enjoyed it enough to buy it when it comes out on DVD and is also going to see it at the theater.  If the movie is good I don't think it matters.  Make a good movie and people will buy it or see it.  If it sucks then it's the production companies fault anyway.  If I remember Wolverine still made a ton of money and I don't know anyone who thought it was great.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I always pay to see movies at the cinema. It annoys me when people don't!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sora_thekey
    "Hell we are seeing it twice in the theatres!!  "

I already saw it twice in theaters... it's that good! ;)
    aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By aouric

I totally agree on this topic, I try to tell my friends the same in regards to how bootleg material affects the movie industry on all levels, and it goes in one ear and out the other with them. It seems everyone now a days feel that their paying to much at the box office for tickets or snacks at the concession stands.

I'm quite sure theaters still have matinees everyone can attend! And what about the five and one dollar shows that are still around? We have options people if we don't want to pay expensive prices on the day of a new released movie there's other choices besides stealing them!

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ironshadow

I live in a city that does not have a movie theater, it closed in 2005, the only way for me to watch new movies is to download them, so what I'm saying is that some people download the movie or game or song or comics because either they don't have where to see the movie or just can't afford to go to the nearest city with a cinema and watch it there. 

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hdorman1

ive seen iron man 2 twice in the cinema already 
    im gotta see it again when my finals are over

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GT-Man

i do IT or have a friend who does it and i copy movies dont telll ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By zombietag

im seeing it thursday night at midnight. pretty stoked 

by the way, we should have an off my mind about downloading comics and reading them, like cbr files. most people automatically dismiss this as terrible and an awful thing for the industry, but i know a lot of people who download comics "illegalily" and end up buying more comics in the end because they want hard copies of the ones they enjoyed. i think this would be a cool OFF MY MIND article

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#39  Edited By lostlantern13

Yeah, $300 million on making and promoting a movie...don't want to see those film studios suffer. It'd be such a shame if they couldn't throw in another explosion or expensive car crash into the next movie.... 

I don't pirate, but I understand why some people would. Even then, I would argue that the studios aren't losing anything because the people who watch pirated copies are the people who wouldn't be heading to the theatres at all. Just because you're intrigued enough to watch a movie doesn't mean you'd pay to watch it.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GT-Man

i will see ironman in the theaters hopefully I WILL SEEE IT IN THE THEATER ps i have a friend who does it anyone what some oh i copy movies to DONT TELL ANYONE!!!

Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Riezner

Tony = Photoshop Master

Sovun6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sovun6

See its morons like those with camcorders in movies  that ruins the experience see i love the animated green lantern and wonder woman flicks and actually bought them i don't like some cheap @$$ ruining everything for me just cause he cant afford a 10$ movie ticket and for those that feel entitled i feel i'm entitled to the title of King of Everything and 10 million dollars doesn't mean its going to happen

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DarkSyde79

As long as the theatre experience is unique then no matter how much movies are pirated, they will still make money. Even with the technologies available to us at home these days. With that said, I think piracy plays more of a part in the home media sales than anything else. But even then, people who’re gonna pirate are gonna do it and those who’re not might own some but in general will STILL purchase official media in wha’eva format it is in… 

gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gui22
    @Theodore: Well the special effects and the action are great.But the story sometimes is confusing.So...better than the last one!Oh and it has humor!
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Harlekin
    @Sovun6 said:

"  See its morons like those with camcorders in movies  that ruins the experience see i love the animated green lantern and wonder woman flicks and actually bought them i don't like some cheap @$$ ruining everything for me just cause he cant afford a 10$ movie ticket and for those that feel entitled i feel i'm entitled to the title of King of Everything and 10 million dollars doesn't mean its going to happen "

Pirates had nothing to do with those movies not making money. It was adults and kids who don't read comics not giving two cares about Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. 

@lostlantern13 said:
    "

studios aren't losing anything because the people who watch pirated copies are the people who wouldn't be heading to the theatres at all. Just because you're intrigued enough to watch a movie doesn't mean you'd pay to watch it.

"
      Quoted For Truth
    teh_r0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By teh_r0b

The problem is more one of convenience than people simply not wanting to pay for the movie. Simply put, if I go out to see a movie, I must find a movie theater playing the movie, go to that movie theater, overpay for snacks, and wait for the movie to start on the theater's schedule rather than my own. If I pirate a movie to watch at home, on my own time, with fairly-bought snacks, on whatever media system I want, well then that's just infinitely more convenient for me. 

I personally think that the model for the typical Hollywood movie just needs to change. Studios need to recognize that when they release a movie, the theater is no longer the only place that it will be at that time. People no longer want to wait for DVD's or digital copies. We've got new technology that's changing the way that we view movies, the same old business model will no longer stand. Eventually, movie theaters will simply become places where you're basically paying to see a movie on a large screen with a quality sound system, rather than paying specifically to see a new movie. 

I rarely attend the theaters for a new movie unless I really want to see it. Most of the time I just wait for the DVD and then rent it from Netflix, but I do often attend movie theaters to see movies that aren't new. Several theaters in my area make an effort to replay old movies that are very fun to watch on the big screen, such as The Big Lebowski, Brazil, Army of Darkness, and The Dark Knight. I am much more willing to pay for the big screen and snacks if I know that I'll enjoy the movie, but I don't think that every movie is worthy of being released at the "box office" anymore.

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ElJuano

I had to chime in for this one! Avatar the Billion dollar movie was pirated and seen plenty of times on many sites and yet made literally billions of dollars. Wolverine the movie was also seen in pirating sites and made far less... why is that, because the movie sucked, it was a poor interpretation of the source material. If it would of been a Great or even Excellent showcase of movie making, I guarantee you it would of done better in movie sales and far  exceeded what was brought in. DC animated movies are being removed in my opinion not because the sales did so poorly, that's an excuse. It's because Warner's does not want to be known as an animation studio it wants to be known as a movie studio but so far its popularity and success has come through Dark Knight (after many failed attempts, Thanks Joel) while Marvel has successfully gained the attention of millions in a short timespan. Pirated movies is a wake up call to an antiquated system that like the music industry needs to catch up. I'd rather see if a movie is good or crap before i waste $20 + on a movie. Seriously Let Hollywood reap what it sowed. Not only would free screeners for everyone be a great move but I think it would improve on the quality of movies we see in general. 

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hellos

To hell with Pirates, I am going to see Tony Stark this Friday. :P

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheMess1428

Honestly, I went to see Iron Man on opening day in 2008 and definitely enjoyed it. The next day, I really wanted to see it again and had no more money or a way to get to the theaters, so I watched an online bootleg version. It quenched my re-watch thirst. 

Oh and what about people sneaking into theaters to watch the movies?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.