Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

"Justin Hammer" And "Whiplash" Team Up In Iron Man 2

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

I really think that some of the most interesting villains, are the ones with all the money and power. We see this trend in many of the story lines in comic books. In Superman, for example, Lex Luthor is the ultimate villain because he has power behind all of that money. Vandal Savage is another ultimate super villain with a ton of money and power that has remained a constant threat against the Justice League. Characters like these are major threats to superheroes even though they may not have super powers themselves. Looking at Iron Man's rogues gallery, we have a variety of different super villains that are considered a major threat to Tony Stark and his ambitions. Of all of these villains, one of the most intriguing (at least in my opinion) is Justin Hammer. While Hammer may not be physically intimidating; he has the knowledge, power and prowess to make him a major threat to Tony Stark. It should be of no surprise that he would be a major character in the upcoming Iron Man film. In an interview with MTV, Sam Rockwell who plays the role of the nefarious Justin Hammer in the film, discusses his character's role and the prospect of his team-up with Mickey Rourke's " Whiplash" in the movie. 

"The closest I can come to [describing our characters' relationship] is maybe Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle in 'Young Frankenstein,' or Abbott and Costello," Rockwell half-kiddingly explained. "I'm sort of a fast-talking arms dealer and Mickey's a weapons maker, so he's a very dangerous man—he's been in the joint. And I've got the money. So we team up together to get [Stark]."

All I have to say is, very cool. I am so thrilled that we will be seeing Hammer as a major adversary of Stark's in the upcoming Iron Man 2 film! What do you guys think? Are you excited to see the interaction between Tony Stark and Justin Hammer?
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Hope the 2 villain curse doesn't rear its ugly head

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Babs is into "money and power", no way. Seriously though, does this mean we'll get to see Hammer steal Iron Man's tech?

Avatar image for deadpool_a_k_a_wade_wilson
    DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I'm looking forward to this movie

Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Liam Bradley

Hell Yes I think Justin Hammer will make the perfect villain for the movie. And with Sam Rockwell playing him it can only get better.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By King Quisling

Maybe some sort of hostile take-over?

MaZZacane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MaZZacane

well i rember hearing something abour how hammer is more along the lines of a provider of technology so hopefully he like upgrades whiplashes "suit" becasue im sorry that thing may work when hes not in the iron man armor but as soon as he gets it on boom hes fried it also looks like from the leaked footage he is supplying arms for the war machine armor
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I see Armor Wars in Iron Man 3, Hammer gets the technology through Whiplash and reverse engineers it to make all the different Iron Man foes
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " I see Armor Wars in Iron Man 3, Hammer gets the technology through Whiplash and reverse engineers it to make all the different Iron Man foes "
    Sounds pretty plausible to me, or will they make a movie that somehow ties into the Avengers movie. Though  think the Avengers movie will be released before they even film a third Iron Man.

You almost require a smart villain to go up against Tony Stark. Simple minded thugs just don't feel like they can pose too much of a threat. That's why the previous movie was good. We had the nasty terrorists, but Tony easily outwitted them. It was his friend that was his worst foe in the end. He was smart enough to use Tony's tech against him.
    Hulk is all about power and who can "SMASH" better. Iron Man is much more of a thinking premise.
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Omega Ray Jay said:

" Hope the 2 villain curse doesn't rear its ugly head "

I think that pertains more toward costumed villains. Mob bosses like Falcone and Maroni are featured in the Nolan Batman films, but I don’t think anyone really counts them as villains as much as they’re minor roles.  Justin Hammer’s really much more akin to those characters, whereas Whiplash is the costumed super villain. There’s nothing super about Hammer.

I’m more worried about Whiplash. First he’s a really bizarre choice for a film villain, he’s really rather obscure. But secondly, from what I understand he’s an amalgam of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo. I’d make rather Dynamo be the more dominant of the character mixture. I’m really hoping he gets a full suit.    

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@MysterioMaximus said:
    "@Omega Ray Jay said:

" Hope the 2 villain curse doesn't rear its ugly head "

I think that pertains more toward costumed villains. Mob bosses like Falcone and Maroni are featured in the Nolan Batman films, but I don’t think anyone really counts them as villains as much as they’re minor roles.  Justin Hammer’s really much more akin to those characters, whereas Whiplash is the costumed super villain. There’s nothing super about Hammer.

I’m more worried about Whiplash. First he’s a really bizarre choice for a film villain, he’s really rather obscure. But secondly, from what I understand he’s an amalgam of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo. I’d make rather Dynamo be the more dominant of the character mixture. I’m really hoping he gets a full suit.    

"

They might have him get damaged in this movie and to survive gets put in to a larger suit(a.k.a. the Crimson Dynamo armor),  They had a guy with a bigger badder suit in the first film they probably didn't want do that twice in a row
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By MysterioMaximus

But we’ve yet to see any hardcore air battle between Tony and some sleek and stealthy armor I.E. Dynamo’s. The aerial portions of the Iron Monger battle hardly classify as fast paced. He’s far too bulky.    

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adam Michaels

I also enjoy the non-powered rich villains. Well, I enjoy any type of villain as long as they're interesting, whether super powered or not. But I too enjoy the combination of wealth, brains, and power: the trifecta.  

One thing I'm happy that they did with Justin Hammer for this film is that they picked a young actor to portray a younger Justin Hammer. In the first film, Stark took on Obadiah Stane, who comes from his father's generation. I think it would be repetative if Hammer was the old weapons manufacturer he's been in the comics. I wouldn't want Stark taking on a rival of his from his father's generation again. 

This time around, Tony is taking on a man from his generation. Two guys who are the same age in the same world. One has seen first hand the horror weapons cause while the other has no conscience and just wants to sell, sell, sell, and bring his rival down while he's at it.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Meteorite

I think it is cool that Justin Hammer is in the sequel, but I wish he was older, like in the comics.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NightFang3

Sounds cool to me.

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't wait to see this movie.It is going to be awsome.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Media_Master

sounds like an interesting team-up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.