Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

is iron man a douchebag?

Hardhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im not familiar with iron man. Im more of a spider-man kind of guy. My main source of iron man info is the movies and a few major crossovers like secret wars, civil war, etc. Is he like in the movies? (Makes jokes, drinks, is childish) im talking about 616 bc im pretty sure ultimate is like that. Did he change after being iron man? Also i read the preview for superior iron man that said the old tony is back which probably means he changed or idk. Also in the comics ive read where he isnt the main character he seems kinda boring. No offense to his fans. So can someone explain please? t

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Noone301994

Iron Man in the comics isn't really that much like Tony Stark in the movies (except for the ego, intelligence, playboy attitude and narcissism). Most of the time he's actually really serious. Hawkeye and Iron Man pretty much have opposite personalities from their comic counterparts in the movie universe. He did change after becoming Iron Man though. That part was accurate. He became much more humble, self-less, and heroic. As time went on though he did some questionable things (that he truly believed were for the good of everyone) and a lot of people think he's a douche for it.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a lovable douche. ^_^

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the only alcoholic who's constantly drinking in comics

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#6  Edited By KrleAvenger

He is sometimes.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a douche bag. Do I really have to give evidence for this?:

1) He dated Janet Van Dyne within days of her quickie out of the country divorce from Hank Pym. He didn't tell her he was Iron Man. Dating a friend's ex before he even knows about the divorce makes you a douche.

2) During the Civil War Tony had his friends arrested because they disagreed with him. He also had the Thunderbolts track them down.

3) Tony killed an Avenger, Rita DeMaria (Yellowjacket) and Crystal's babysitter.

4) Tony tried to take over the leadership of the Mighty Avengers from Hank Pym. His justification to Pym was that Pym was ...well Pym and that was all the justification he needed.

5) How many times has Tony been caught fooling around with another girl while with a different one? Too many. He's even done this to Pepper.

6) Tony shot the Hulk into outer space - only to make him mad.

7) Tony gave the Skrulls his tech allowing them to invade.

8) Tony had Spider-Man unmask.

9) Tony built the clone Thor that killed Bill Foster.

10) During Avengers Disassembled Tony took cheap shots at Hank Pym for hitting his wife while he was having a mental breakdown, while Pym was trying to help him.

I could go on and on.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Sometimes, but I really like him.

ZhangThong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hardhat: in movies? Yes. In comics? Well, before Mark Millar decided to ruin Iron Man in Civil War (which he did earlier in Ultimates), Tony Stark, especially in Kurt Busiek's run, was portrayed as a subtle, empathetic, multifarious character with strong code of ethics and ideals, who doesn't put himself above others and always puts others above himself. Tony Stark was always very kind and sensitive. The idea of him being a douchebag is a big misconception.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

ZhangThong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZhangThong12

@just_sayin:

1. Hank Pym was a wife-beater. I doubt that Tony should've been concerned about the feelings of a guy that disrespects his woman so violently.

2. Civil War was a terrible comic.

3. He was under mental control of the Kang the Conquerer.

4. Reasonable justification.

5. Not many. Stark is actually very respectful towards women. He never treats them like sexual objects, unlike his terrible Ultimate version or MCU version.

6. Illuminati did that.

7. Don't remember that. It's been a decade since I've read that story.

8. Again, Civil War sucked.

9. Civil War sucks. [3[

10. The emphasis is on "emotional breakdown". Stark at one point, during an emotional breakdown, said that he wants to die, that he doesn't see any redemption in his life, that his life is worthless.

No Caption Provided

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By g2_

Maybe a little.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Lol

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@zhangthong12:

1. Tony hid the fact that he was Iron Man from Janet. When Janet found out she dumped him and yelled at him because he knew that she wouldnt of dated him if she had known he was a close friend of Hanks. I'm pretty sure even the other Avengers were pissed off at him. The Avengers never hated Hank for what he did. The kicked him off the team because he was sick and a danger to himself and those around him; that much is true. Tony claimed many times to be worried about Hank and even had a big meeting with Donald Blake (Thor) to try and find a way to get him help. This makes him seem kinda shady. It's never classy to lie to your friends ex about who to are to get her to go out with you.

6. Tony was the "leader" of the illuminati and the decision to do it was partially influenced by SHIELD putting pressure on him if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, while he does have a long history of questionable behavior. I honestly tend to flip flop on how I feel about the character. When he's good he's GOOD, he when he's an ass he's THE ASS

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@zhangthong12: also, it's kinda harsh to say that Tony shouldn't respect Hank's feelings for what he did to Jan when Tony was pretty horrible during his breakdown as well.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_ said:

Sometimes, but I really like him.

@g2_ said:

Maybe a little.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.