Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man's New Origin (Spoilers!)

• 103 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Kieron Gillen's latest story in IRON MAN, The Secret Origin of Tony Stark, wrapped up with yesterday's issue and it certainly lived up to the story's name. The writer set out to alter the Avenger's origin and IRON MAN #17 absolutely accomplishes that. So, what exactly went down? We have a basic recap for you, but before moving forward, we want to remind you this is obviously loaded with spoilers!

No Caption Provided

While exploring space and getting into all kinds of trouble, Tony Stark is saved by a Rigellian recorder named 451. Eventually, it's revealed it was no mere coincidence the android bumped into the popular character and has elaborate ties to the hero's parents, Howard and Maria. Despite their best efforts, the couple was unable to produce a child and 451 offered to give them the technology they would need to finally have one. It turns out 451 is fascinated with Earth and believes it holds the potential to bring peace to the universe. However, it knows the rest of the cosmos doesn't exactly have an optimistic opinion of our little planet, and if they wanted to, they could destroy us with little effort.

Humanity simply didn't have the means to stand up to the civilizations out there who could mean us harm and 451 wanted to rectify that. The android aimed to give Earth an individual who could greatly accelerate Earth's technology so it could defend itself from potential attacks. 451 wants this individual to be Howard and Maria's child. After thinking it over, the two agree to have their offspring modified by the alien android and in doing so, we're lead to believe everything Tony Stark has done is thanks to genetic modifications. This apparent change was met with mixed reactions and understandably so. No longer were Stark's great accomplishments due to his own wit, intellect and drive. Instead, he was allegedly programmed to serve this greater purpose.

No Caption Provided

Later, 451 also reveals that Iron Man's fascination with exoskeletons and armor stems from another purpose in his life: to pilot a 25,000 foot tall armor called the "Godkiller." Even though the hero has improved Earth's weaponry by leaps and bounds, it still needs a nuclear deterrent on a cosmic level and it doesn't get more impressive than this nearly 5-mile tall war machine. Much to 451's surprise, Tony is unable to control the Godkiller and because of this failure, a planet is destroyed by the towering armor. Long story short, 451 thinks Tony needs more motivation, so the android aims the Godkiller at Earth. Naturally, Tony is able to save the planet, but not by eventually taking control the armor. Instead, he makes the behemoth undergo a warp jump to a far away dimension and in turn, defeats 451. Although, 451's remains don't go with the huge armor -- Tony keeps them.

No Caption Provided

So, if Howard's child was programmed to control the Godkiller, why couldn't Tony? Well, the reason behind that is the massive bombshell in the story: Tony's not the biological child Howard had -- Tony's adopted. When Howard agreed to work with 451, he found something in the alien's work that he couldn't quite understand. Eventually, he reached the conclusion it was a "genetic clock" which would kill his son at a certain age. Howard worked to counter this and injected a biococktail into his wife, hoping to interfere with this "suicide gene." Unfortunately, it had a negative impact on the child and shortly after birth, he was unable to breathe without medical aid. Howard knew this was because of his interference and finally told his wife the truth. Knowing 451 would one day return, the couple knew they had to hide this from the technologically advanced 451. To keep his interference a secret, they adopted a child -- a child who would one day become Iron Man. Yes, this means all that concern over Tony having "genetic modifications" was for nothing and Stark ultimately remains a self-made man when it comes to his life's feats.

After putting together all of the pieces, Tony finally visits his brother in the Maria Stark Foundation Hospice. His brother, Arno Stark, is hooked up to a variety of equipment but can still communicate through typing (which he does at a very fast speed). After a much needed heart to heart, Tony claims that 451 is no longer in the picture and Arno's existence no longer needs to remain a secret. Together, they can now work to fix some of the world's biggest problems.

No Caption Provided

The next issue begins a story called "Iron Metropolitan," so it's clear the intelligent duo will aim to change every day life in cities. How? Well, we'll just have to read the story to find out. But will Arno develop an armor of his own which will support his vitals and in turn, serve as a nod to Iron Man 2020? We have no idea what Gillen will throw our way from here, but it certainly looks promising and is loaded with potential. This will give the writer a chance to set aside the cosmic grandeur and instead focus on giving this book a whole lot of heart.

Viners, what do you think of Tony Stark's new origin? Are you pleased with the final twist or were you hoping for something different? Share your thoughts with us below!

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

wow, sorry I missed this now

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Clearly, Tony Stark is the third Summers brother.

(Okay, technically he'd be the fifth after Adam X the X-Treme and Vulcan, and Sinister said that Scott Summers had "brothers" without giving a number, but you know what I mean.)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The new Iron Man series is really striving to be the most boring and uninteresting marvel book.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By moviegeek17

This sounds completely unnecessary, why add on to Tony's origin? It was fine the way it was...

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad I stopped reading this. The writing became sub-par in my opinion as did the artwork, I would have hated myself if I kept on reading for this bomb shell to hit.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

How long before they can retcon this stupidity?

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like that this in NOW WAY changed Tony's origin, but just provided some interesting flavor to his family and introduced new characters. But there's not one single tiny change in the reality of how Tony grew up and became who he is now. I'm a huge fan of stories like this.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@teerack said:

The new Iron Man series is really striving to be the most boring and uninteresting marvel book.

@dernman said:

How long before they can retcon this stupidity?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I really like that this in NOW WAY changed Tony's origin, but just provided some interesting flavor to his family and introduced new characters. But there's not one single tiny change in the reality of how Tony grew up and became who he is now. I'm a huge fan of stories like this.

Well said.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Huh sounds pretty interesting. I like the fact they did not use this as some way to make Tony depressed to make his book darker just to show there is other things you can do to shake up a character that does not result in changing history or killing supporting characters (looking at you Remender)

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly, Tony Stark is the third Summers brother.

(Okay, technically he'd be the fifth after Adam X the X-Treme and Vulcan, and Sinister said that Scott Summers had "brothers" without giving a number, but you know what I mean.)

haha, clearly.

Sounds like a neat story. Generally I'm not big on the Iron Man stuff (at least not much from since the 90s).

What they ABSOLUTELY need to do, is make a legitimate nod to Iron Man 2020. 616 Tony has met the evil Arno Stark before and the wiki says Arno Stark has been alluded to being involved in a dark future in the main 616 universe. Finding out he has a long lost brother named Arno should be setting off some red flags.

In any case, it should be an interesting showdown eventually.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

So the change in origin is that he's adopted, but his brother got a fancy interesting secret origin?

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the change in origin is that he's adopted, but his brother got a fancy interesting secret origin?

Making him adopted was a cop-out. The author got scared of the changes, and at the least minute pinned them on another character, making the whole thing pointless.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Making him adopted was a cop-out. The author got scared of the changes, and at the least minute pinned them on another character, making the whole thing pointless.

That sounds possible. Do you know that for sure or is it a theory?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@netshyster said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

I'd recommend reading the "afterword" in the issue. Gillen elaborates on how he came up with the basic premise/twist while waiting to board a plane. Additionally, he says he didn't want to change Tony's origin. Not out of fear, but out of respect for who the character is. Again, I'd recommend reading it for his complete thoughts on the matter.

Now, I suppose one could speculate he's lying, but I see no legitimate reason to believe such.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Lvenger

(Sigh) Well done Marvel, you've managed to ruin another of your top characters and change things unnecessarily for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Tony's now no longer a biological Stark and all the changes meant for him have been dumped on a new character. Man what an absolutely stupid move by Gilleon, a writer who I had respect for on his Thor run. I guess being in the limelight thanks to a few movies can have some costly price.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#18  Edited By iceslick

@g_man: This was a cool origin story for his brother. But can they retcon that Tony was ever adopted? Because his face is too closely similar to Howard Stark. The adopted part sounds absolutely terrible in my opinion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lvenger said:

(Sigh) Well done Marvel, you've managed to ruin another of your top characters and change things unnecessarily for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Tony's now no longer a biological Stark and all the changes meant for him have been dumped on a new character. Man what an absolutely stupid move by Gilleon, a writer who I had respect for on his Thor run. I guess being in the limelight thanks to a few movies can have some costly price.

Would you have actually been pleased if those changes were indeed about Tony, though? If anything, I imagine that would generate more outrage because it totally diminishes his accomplishments. I'm perfectly fine with him not being Howard's biological son because it doesn't change his upbringing, who he's become, and especially important, what he's accomplished. It doesn't ruin the character at all for me.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't Tony look a little too much like his dad?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@iceslick said:

@k4tzm4n: I kind of disagree with you

And you're allowed to :P

Howard adopting an infant with black hair and blue eyes doesn't change Iron Man for me. He's still a self-made dude whose accomplishments are his own. If he was genetically enhanced from birth, this was a pre-programmed destiny and reduces the impressive nature of what he's done. It was no longer his accomplishments and feats -- it was 451's.

But yeah, I did also remark on the visual resemblance in my review because they totally do look a lot like, but again, that doesn't really bother me all that much.

"I can't help but wonder... what are the odds that Howard would adopt a child who grows up to look just like him and also has an incredibly gifted mind?".

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh those crazy Stark boys, what trouble will they get into next?

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tikhunt

Can someone who actually read this give me a quick run-down please?

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I kind of disagree with you Gregg. Because Howard Stark and Tony Stark were very similar in terms of intelligence, character and genetics. To take all that way seems to strange me and doesn't work at all in my opinion. I had read a lot about Howard Stark in the S.H.I.E.L.D. series and a particular issue I can't seem to remember what title is it (thank you ADHD. lol) from really showed how similar they truly were.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got every one since 9 but wasnt enjoying it so stopped reading after 11. i think im going to try and get through it.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

I like the Arno bit not the adopted bit

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By daredevil21134

Wow I can't believe Marvel let this happen.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Wow, so all that just to make it so he was adopted? Glad I don't read that book.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Oh God, you replied to my half messaged reply. -____- lol I'm really starting to hate this message going blank or half blank? error I keep getting. Anyways, I had to retype the message (including this one) so I hope you will you get to read what was I really saying in the message above.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds completely unnecessary, why add on to Tony's origin? It was fine the way it was...

Exactly, I'm really angry!

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely unnecessary, adds nothing to character, its pretty funny it completely fails to explain why Tony and Howard stark look alike.

Probably a desperate attempt to boost sales. I like Gillen but his ironman run has been shocking poor.

Between Marvel Now and the joke that was Iron man 3 its not been a good year for iron man fans

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care much about the adoption twist

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really? I should have read this, sounds pretty good. I decided not to because I was complaining about the genetic mod lol

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KnightRise

@k4tzm4n said:

Howard adopting an infant with black hair and blue eyes

Oh my Zod, Howard Stark is Batman!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_stegman  Moderator

Snyder should make Batman adopted by the end of Zero Year. Just to see people's heads explode.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get wanting to add new things to spice it up, but this was very unnecessary. It didn't change a thing except that Tony was adopted.

The scariest thing is how similar he looks to his adopted Dad. That's the mystery!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cameron83

@k4tzm4n said:

@lvenger said:

Would you have actually been pleased if those changes were indeed about Tony, though? If anything, I imagine that would generate more outrage because it totally diminishes his accomplishments. I'm perfectly fine with him not being Howard's biological son because it doesn't change his upbringing, who he's become, and especially important, what he's accomplished. It doesn't ruin the character at all for me.

I agree. Him not being the biological son of Howard Stark means absolutely nothing to me. In fact,Howard is still his (adopted) father. I mean,he's technically still a father to him in every way besides DNA,so.....

But I can see why it would cause confusion...I mean,Howard and Tony are similar in terms of intelligence and they DO look a bit similar.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would have been cooler just to have left him as an intelligent person. Without all the unnecessary drama. Sounds like an episode of the Days of Our Lives lmao. Next thing you know, Tony is actually not Tony, but Tony's evil twin brother, who secretly replaced Tony during the last Secret Invasion in order to enact a long convoluted plan to destroy the world :/

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all sounds messy, convoluted, and pointless.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Oh my. Instead of launching a new Iron Patriot series with Ales Kot writing it, Marvel will you please put Kot on a relaunched Iron Man series and immediately retcon Gillen's entire run? It's amazing how quickly and far a great A-list character can fall in the wrong hands.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#50 god_spawn  Moderator

Tony is still Tony to me. Everything he's done is still everything he has done. So I agree with @k4tzm4n

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.