Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man: Rise of Technovore

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore continues from the anime Iron Man series produced by Madhouse. What that means is if you've seen any of the episodes from the series, you know have an idea what to expect.

The movie actually opens to very plain opening credits. It's almost strange as it just begins. Once we catch site of the actual movie, the animation and colors look great from the very first scene. What sets this movie apart from the anime series is there are other familiar characters involved. With an opening scene of Iron Man and War Machine racing through the city, it's a visual feast. As the story progresses, we also see Pepper Potts, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury and Punisher. Having the different characters involved in the story gives the world a bigger feel. It's what you would want and expect in a Marvel animated movie.

No Caption Provided

While the villain Technovore was fitting, I won't say anything more about the identity, he/it just didn't do it for me. This is a problem I have with Iron Man in general. I love the character and everything he can do, we just tend to have similar tech-based villains most of the time. Iron Man doesn't just have to fight villains like this. It would have been great to see Iron Man deal with a different threat.

What was a nice change of pace was Iron Man having to team up with Punisher, voiced by Norman Reedus. Reedus delivers his lines well but it takes a little bit to get used to hearing Punisher with his voice.

No Caption Provided

Iron Man working with Punisher is the sort of thing I'm talking about. We've seen Iron Man fight alongside members of the Avengers over and over so seeing him with Frank Castle adds an element of the unknown. Being hunted by S.H.I.E.L.D., Black Widow and Hawkeye also made the story more compelling. Hawkeye's lines made him come across as a little annoying but his character added to the tension of the plot. We have some big ideas here but they don't all play out well on screen.

During the various battles and fight scenes, we do get some pretty big displays of action. But because of the nature of Technovore, it could come across as a little ridiculous at times.

Overall the animation and voice acting are packaged in a nice presentation. I just really hope if we do see another installment, we can get a different sort of villain for Iron Man to deal with. The fact that other Marvel Universe characters are incorporated into this movie should be an indication that we could see other threats used as well. There was a lot of potential here. I'd love to see the Marvel Universe opened up like this with more variation. Unfortunately this movie didn't deliver everything I hoped it would.

No Caption Provided

There are some special features included. 'Tale of Technovore' has Joe Quesada talking about extending the anime series and 'S.H.I.E.L.D.: Protecting the Marvel Universe' describes what SHIELD is about in this animated universe. Neither one are huge deciding factors in making the purchase of this DVD but they do contain some interesting information in terms of behind-the-scenes and what S.H.I.E.L.D. does (which most comic book readers should already know).

There has been a lack of Marvel animated movies lately. It's nice to see a continuation of the anime series and if we can get more self-contained movies, that'd be great. Throughout the series, time has been invested in establishing these characters compared to their comic book counterparts. It'd be a shame not to see them continue in other adventures. If you enjoyed the Iron Man anime series, you'll definitely want to check this movie out. Just don't get your hopes up too high. Hopefully you won't have a problem with this sort of enemy for Iron Man like I do. Despite my feelings on this part of the story, the animation and characters did keep me thoroughly entertained. I wish this story was executed in a better fashion but I do still have hopes to see more.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

That's why i'm so glad The Mandarin is the villain for IM3. In IM Jeff Bridges played a villain Iron Man, IM2 had a lame tech villain but now we get this super cool less techy villain :D

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LiveForever

Why oh why oh why did this have to be a continuation of the awful anime series?

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

I agree with you @g_man. I didn't like it that much either. It was just kind of average. The voice acting was really bad except for Punisher and Hawkeye. Everyone else was just really bad especially Black Widow and Nick Fury. I was pissed when Black Widow has an American accent. -___- Well, what can you do. I might put a review later this week. I really did like Norman Reedus as Punisher though. He did really well and it just sounded right. I wanted to see more of him and War Machine. I honestly thought it would have been more cooler that way.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

Punisher looks weird. He looks to much like a pretty boy.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

comic book characters DO NOT look good/fit/belong in animes. iron man (character only) works because japan loves robot suits/mechs. everything else ugh. look at that punisher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I hope this is a younger punisher or flashback scene mainly because I probably wont overlook his new appearance and Hawkeye looks alike Young Justice´s Roy Harper Clone.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'll rent this. I'm not a huge fan of the Marvel Anime stuff. You think an Anime and marvel fan would love it but...eh it's alright (well except for Wolverine, thats horrible miscasted).

I hope Marvel starts putting out some quality animated features. I've seen most of and them and they are all pretty decent except for the Thor and Loki one. Now with Disney backing them I hope they take advantage of the Disney animation stuidos and bring us some great animated telling of comic stories. I'd love to see a Civil War or Secret Invasion animated feature.

DC has them pretty beat on the animated film side of things so hopefully Marvel starts to play catch up soon.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

skipping this....there was nothing about the Marvel Anime stuff that warranted a movie continuation

if you're going to continue something in movie form then how about Spectacular Spider-man, Avengers: EMH, or Wolverine and the X-men

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

I hated this movie. It was just utterly soul less, with nothing reallying gelling. The Punisher is actually my favorite part of this movie. Everything else just operates on a ridiculous idoit plot where everything just turns into a chase scene because those are cool right?

Also Matt Mercer wasn't the right choice for Tony in the first place. His voice was all wrong.

Marve's anime experiment has largely failed or been middling with PLENTY of caveats necessary.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See this is what I hate about the Marvel animated features. Some of them are okay at best and the rest are not so great. Honestly the last great Marvel cartoon was Earths Mightiest Heroes. I'm starting to doubt reaching that level of quality ever again. Thanks for the review. I might try renting this or wait for instant streaming.

jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jamesisaacs

Movie was OK it's just the voice acting was off and the antagonist was lame. Overall visuals were superior as you'd expect from Anime however every now and then you'd spot the 3D cheapness thrown in there.

Skulexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.