Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

'Iron Man 3' Shows Tony Stark's Dealing with Events from 'The Avengers'

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The end of The Avengers was a great fight. We got to see the team fight like never before. For the characters that have appeared in other films, this showed what they had been working up to. With the success of their victory, having the team members go off and continue to live their lives without any repercussions would almost feel as if something was being taken away. What the filmmakers did was show the human side to these heroes. And that's something more we'll be seeing in Iron Man 3.

No Caption Provided

In an interview last week with MTV, Kevin Feige discussed some of what Tony Stark will be dealing with.

So much of the journey of 'Iron Man 3' is informed by Tony's experiences in 'The Avengers. It's almost like post-traumatic stress: he really has retreated after the events of 'The Avengers' into his workshop, where he's building advanced versions of his suits. He has [designed] a version of the suit that can latch onto him in individual pieces ... anytime, anywhere. As he starts to realize, it's basically because he doesn't want to be out of the suit: he's seen a lot of things in 'Avengers' and has encountered a lot of powerful people, much more powerful than he is.

It brings us back to the Tony we met in the first part of 'Iron Man' where he's removed from that convoy and brought to the cave with nothing but a box of scraps. It's fun for all of us to watch Tony try to figure out how to get out of that scenario. Much of the movie is Tony in the middle of the country without his tools and a fairly broken suit to help him. But that's his superpower: he wasn't born on Asgard, he wasn't hit by gamma rays, and he doesn't have the super soldier serum. His power is his brain. It's fun to put Tony Stark in a corner with nothing and see how he can get out of it.
    No Caption Provided

It was also mentioned that Tony Stark will have to rediscover how to become a hero. From what we've seen of the trailer, this is something he's going to need to do really quickly when the Mandarin attacks. He won't have too much time to sit around his workshop as his home gets destroyed. Whether or not this is the event that jump starts Iron Man as a hero once again remains to be seen.

Iron Man 3 will be released on May 3, 2013

Source: MTV

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Chaos Burn

I don't like the idea of Tony Stark being without his tools and a broken suit...

Just hope there's enough action

ZetaZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ZetaZero

@Chaos Burn: I agree, but just judging by what we've seen so far, and what They are saying, I think this one may be more story driven , rather than Action.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chaos Burn

@ZetaZero said:

@Chaos Burn: I agree, but just judging by what we've seen so far, and what They are saying, I think this one may be more story driven , rather than Action.

they should be able to do both, if the film is good enough.

Deformity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Deformity

This is going to be a very different MS movie.

zachkastner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zachkastner

Good. I love "Sad Tony" when pressed against by the thumb of the world. Such as in Fraction's run where literally NOTHING was going right for Stark and he still manages to assess the situation and rebuild.

Feige is right. Iron Man’s superpower isn’t his suit, it’s his ability to build and rebuild himself as well as the world around him… so reading a story where Tony tears himself down back to square one with a vice and is forced with self-reckoning to overcome that problem which can never be overcame is compelling as hell.

The Iron Man films need to understand the aspect and wonder that “Sad Tony” brings to the character. He’s always too happy and things go right way too much for RDJ’s Stark. I still love the character, but he needs more struggle to keep some three-dimensionality to the on screen Stark.

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alchemax_7

When they state repercussions of the events from the Avengers and what Tony has seen, I wonder the if the trip through the dimensional portal and seeing the Chitauri armada destroyed by the nuke, I wonder if that experience will be one of the main traumatic memories and experiences he's dealing with in Iron Man 3. Especially after he nearly died. Seems most likely.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#7  Edited By StMichalofWilson

This will be interesting

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Phaedrusgr

I like the concept. Shows a connection of all the films related to Tony, giving a comic book touch - feeling to the movies.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF

I didnt like the idea at first but i am really starting to get into it. At this point Tony relies on his suit and basically seems like while he says he is Iron Man and is the hero i think he puts a lot of that into the suit. For the suits to be torn down and taken away Tony will have to discover that it is him that make Iron Man and not the other way around. Obviously he will build a new Iron Man Suit but i would like to see him take the scraps and build something different to solve his problems

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alchemax_7

Tony's hair style always changes between Iron man films. Iron man 2 and Avengers hair were sort of similar.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

Remember when Steve told Stark that he wasn't the hero of type, and he never sacrifices himself to save the others...but later when the missile flying towards the New york, he decided to sacrifices himself to save the others...

I think that's when he realizes the responsible of being a superhero. Then Iron Man 3 is based on that, where he finally found himself a goal to achieve...a much bigger and influential goal.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Mucklefluga

So this is gonna be Marvel's TDKR?

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Smurfboy

I am actually very excited about Ironman 3 story after a huge event (The Avengers) and how it effects Tony's life. Same goes for Captain America and The Thor. I feel like I'm a 3 years old jumping around and scream "Yay!!"

Bring it on.

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fullmetalquach

i wonder what cameos they may have planned from either object like the infinity gauntlet or the hulk buster armor to characters like carol danvers

ssj2DeadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ssj2DeadPool

I was not very excited about this movie. However, now that I have read the angle they are taking. Consider me as a opening night patron. Just hearing the phrase, "put stark in a corner with nothing, and see how he responds." Awesome. I love seeing heros get tested, especially ones as broken as Stark. This is going to be BAD A$$!!

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked both movies so far and I don't expect the third part to dissapoint .

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BoyWander

I hate seeing heroes have to build themselves back up. Why? We already saw them build up, I don't want to see them crash and rebuild again. That sucked in TDKR. A whole hour dedicated to Batman learning to be Batman again. Really? You expect the audience to sit through that?

Regardless, I assume Marvel knows what they're doing. Tony being broken may work. I hope this is a good movie.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dondave

This looks to be interesting

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By LordRequiem

I don't really understand what direction they're going with the extremis armour, apart from moving it with his mind. Nothing appears to be stored within his body. I bet he'll have to deal with the virus after Killian uses it in some way and War Machine will take over in the Iron Patriot (cough Norman Osborn) armour. Trailer looks okay at the moment. More excited for Thor I must admit.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Pyrogram

Is it me or is every film these days just - superhero fails or has a something bad happens, they fall, and have to "rediscover" themselfs...

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By comicace3

Tony is a little paranoid because he thinks he is physically weak.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By amazing_webhead

So, when you think about it, Tony's realizing exactly what S.H.I.E.L.D. thought when Thor fought the Destroyer: he's outmatched.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattwing87

@Pyrogram said:

Is it me or is every film these days just - superhero fails or has a something bad happens, they fall, and have to "rediscover" themselfs...

Yeah but it shows that a hero can lose and has flaws and isn't perfect....like Batman.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is having a Dark Knight Rises vibe more and more with each tidbit I read about. Seriously...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.