Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man 3 Blu-ray Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

It's hard to believe that Iron Man 3 was in theaters back in May. Gregg and I both shared our thoughts and watching it again is pretty interesting.

These days, one of the biggest obstacles for the Marvel Studios movies is high expectations. The movie was far from perfect but it did have some great moments. We won't go back into what did and didn't work since we did that in our review and even in a spoiler-filled video.

If you're a comic collector, chances are you already have this in your personal collection. There may be some waiting. There are other options like OnDemand and eventually Netflix. But there is the extra value the Blu-ray offers that the other options do not.

Of course it's the Special Features that can really make or break a release. Personally, I tend to dive into those before re-watching the actual movie since, chances are, I've already watched the movie. Possibly more than once. The Special Features is where we get the extra value. This is what you don't get from the streaming services.

I wouldn't normally say you should buy a Blu-ray just for a fifteen minute feature but the one included here just might make that case.

No Caption Provided

Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter (15:29) picks up one year after Captain America: The First Avenger. There's been talk of a possible TV series based on the character and time period. Even though it might be too similar to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (just in a different time period), based on this short, I would be all for it. Hayley Atwell does a remarkable job here and it feels closer to the Cinematic Universe than the current SHIELD series does. Definitely a great reason to pick up this Blu-ray.

Also included is Iron Man Unmasked (10:59). Kevin Feige talks how the movie is a follow up to Iron Man 2 as well as The Avengers. Shane Black talks about Robert Downey Jr and directing the movie. We see some behind-the-scenes from Stark's mansion getting attacked.

Deconstructing the Scene: Attack on Air Force One (8:43) breaks down the scene with skydivers and the different sets used. The scene was impressive enough in the movie but seeing how they actually pulled it off should give you a new respect for what was needed.

Exclusive Behind the Scenes Look - Thor: The Dark World (1:53). It's a short feature. We don't learn a whole lot. It's great seeing the bits and helps get us excited for the November 8 release.

Deleted and Extended Scenes (16:20). There are ten scenes. Some outtakes are included. It's nothing new with these movies but it's pretty amazing how many takes and ad-libbing is done.

Gag Reel (5:07). Another big reason for buying the Blu-ray. Seeing the actors goof up or goof around not only brings a smile to your face but also a good feeling seeing they actually enjoyed working on the movie and together. Some productions are being done just for the sake of cashing in on the genre so it's great to see actors wanting to be part of the production and having a great time as well.

Because the movie was released last week, chances are you've already decided on purchasing it. If you haven't, you might want to reconsider. Or try to get it on a birthday or holiday gift list. If you own the other movies, it makes sense you include this as well. Watching the movie again is a different experience because you already know what to expect and most likely won't get hung up on the little problems. Marvel Studios is on a role. This should hold you over until Thor: The Dark World is released in theaters.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Sure, I still have some minor gripes with the movie (least durable Iron Man suits EVER), but I still had a blast with it and had no hesitation picking it up last week. Excited to rewatch it sometime.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Not seen yet but I will buy asap

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you haven't seen this clip yet, check it out:

Loading Video...

TheRyanHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I guess since I own all of the other Avengers movies already, I'll buy this one too.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

meh

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

"The best IRON MAN yet"
    Seriously? This movie was so mediocre it didn't even know if it was a comedy or an action movie.
    I could argue that IM2 was better :-P

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh, the Mandarin bit still gives me nightmare...

I'll pass.

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yeah, I bought the Blu-Ray. Collectors gonna collect.

But re-watching the movie, I was even more underwhelmed than I was in the theater. This will sit on the shelf with my other MCU titles, looking nice and complete. But I won't pull it out to watch over and over like some of the others.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9  Edited By Outside_85

Got this for my birthday, sadly it just reconfirmed my feeling that this is the worst of the Iron Man movies if not the worst of all the connected Marvel movies :(

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanted a gallery of the 42 different iron man suits. Looks like it not included.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

"The best IRON MAN yet"

Seriously? This movie was so mediocre it didn't even know if it was a comedy or an action movie.

This.

Bull_iod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a choice between buying this or Fast and Furious 6. I chose Vin Diesel and don't regret it. Since I saw IM3 in the cinema, whilst I sort of enjoyed it I really can't get excited about seeing it again.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#13  Edited By Cavemold

Iron man 1 is still the best one I think

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Mucklefluga

IM3 is the best IM film and Thor: TDW will be the best Marvel film. That is all.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@k4tzm4n said:

Sure, I still have some minor gripes with the movie (least durable Iron Man suits EVER), but I still had a blast with it and had no hesitation picking it up last week. Excited to rewatch it sometime.

Yeah! Lots of laughs and generally a very good time!

Blackula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I signed up just to make a comment. Can't take this anymore. STOP BEING SO JADED! Some of you think this movie was terrible. Really? It was terrible? Cat Woman was terrible. Gigli was terrible. Pluto Nash was terrible. You are allowed to have an opinion but lets be reasonable here shall we? I enjoyed the movie and I'm honestly not that huge of an Iron Man guy to begin with. However, those of you crying foul like this was an act of genocide need to tone it down. I'm sure some of you will have a sweet reply for me but seriously consider your words, along with there severity, before you join the party. Otherwise I love CV!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

@blackula: Ah ha! They finally got you to create an account! Welcome. And I like your attitude.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tec79

Worst of the Marvel films thus far. I was personally very disappointed and hope the rest of phase two is a step up in quality. The use of extremis and the Mandarin were terrible perhaps the character will re emerge in a future film as a real threat.

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only gripe with the movie was trying to go for the joke every time, otherwise it was a good movie that I'll watch again.

On the other hand, what I thought this review was actually about were the special features on the Blu Ray. Which were really worth the purchase. The Peggy Carter one shot was great. I would watch that TV show. Peggy kicked a lot of ass in that clip. The other features were really good too. I liked the attack on air force one feature. It was cool to see how they shot the scene and how much work it actually took.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not interested, not a big fan of the iron man movie, it's just all around bad, teh only good part about it is the humor, and it's a good thing too, cause they replaced things like common sense, nice fights and a good story with humor...

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@blackula: The reason people hate on this movie so much is cause unlike those movies who people know are bad, iron man 2 & 3 are very popular and very loved movies, and when you tell some one it's bad they go all nerd rage on you.

What I'm trying to say is, people are hating on these movies cause they get to much praise for something so bad.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should put all the one-shots into a single dvd or whatnot. Would save the trouble of buying a whole (blu-ray which is extra) movie.

Darth Coleslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Darth Coleslaw

@blackula said:

So I signed up just to make a comment. Can't take this anymore. STOP BEING SO JADED! Some of you think this movie was terrible. Really? It was terrible? Cat Woman was terrible. Gigli was terrible. Pluto Nash was terrible. You are allowed to have an opinion but lets be reasonable here shall we? I enjoyed the movie and I'm honestly not that huge of an Iron Man guy to begin with. However, those of you crying foul like this was an act of genocide need to tone it down. I'm sure some of you will have a sweet reply for me but seriously consider your words, along with there severity, before you join the party. Otherwise I love CV!

Thank you. People's misuse of the word "Terrible" drives me nuts. People that use the word to describe IM3, along with many other movies I can think of, clearly don't know what terrible really is. They either haven't seen many movies, or are overreacting. People need to watch movies like the ones you mentioned, or Because I Said So, and they'll have a new understanding of what terrible really is.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this movie, mostly due to Shane Black.

I love comics, but film for a long time was my passion. Shane Black is a favorite of mine, and he KILLS it with Iron Man 3. The humor is fantastic, and he manages to amp up the action as well. All the characters work so well with each other, and the twist? Didn't see it coming, and really enjoyed. It adds something new!

For a guy who's never made a blockbuster before, he nailed it.

Toa_Manaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummmmm, is it me or are special features just padding these days.

Although the Agent Carter one shot makes things look a lot more stronger than the hum drum that is included...

I mean a quick look at Thor 2, padding, padding with zero replay value.

It looks like we will be spared the group love fest called the "Making of featurette", you know "The director is one of the best I have worked with." or "The actor is simply one of the best I have worked with." type of statements that pollute such things :D

Overall MEH........................................

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Not a fan at all of this one I'm afraid, I had more fun watching The Wolverine.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The best IRON MAN yet"

Same here. IM3 could've been better on many fronts, but at least it was still watchable.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheThe

No. Movie was awful.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheThe

@blackula said:

At the end of the day, it's about taste and subjectivity. Everybody does not have the same criterias to evaluate a movie, and if a movie fails in some domains, somebody can see it as terrible based on the importance that person is giving to those criterias.

Also, while you are the one giving people proper english lesson, you're also the one using an "act of genocide" as metaphor to exaggerate your view of people's attitudes.So, maybe you're overreacting like people whom you speak.

I'll giveyou that nowadays a lot of words are tarnished, but it is necessary to understand those words in a context. The sense of "terrible" when we speak about movies cannot be put in parallel with its sense in the common life.

Because you know, we can make the same criticism you're doing for positive reviews, when people say "Iron man 3 was stunning". I can say: "stunning, really ?". Dont act like it was a freaking historical event or something. The context dude, the context.

Avatar image for mister_sensational
    Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thethe:

All I have to say is RIGHT ON! to everything you said, particularly to this point...

"I'll give you that nowadays a lot of words are tarnished, but it is necessary to understand those words in a context. The sense of "terrible" when we speak about movies cannot be put in parallel with its sense in the common life."

So if saying the movie was terrible is taking it "too far" to some allow me to use this word in it's place... Iron Man 3 was "DECENT" and that's the best I can say for it because it was far from "Great" and just shy of "Good" especially in comparison to it's predecessors and the other Marvel Cinematic Universe films that came before it.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Wilbertus

I don't think I will be buying this, but I had a great time in the movie theatre nonetheless.

I loved the Mandarin twist!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sale is a blockbuster. That's all that matters.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Despite having some issues, this was still the best Iron Man movie yet.

McG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Iron Man 1 + 2 were CRAMMED with special features, full of every kind of thing you'd want, Avengers here got NOTHING and Iron Man 3 got 2 stupid little clip features... BULL!

teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>Marvel Studios is on a role

Whoops. Needs more proofreading.

Also, no mention of the Jarvis app that interacts with the BR?

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Meh, won't be in my collection. Netflix for me for this unfortunately only so-so film.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.