Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man 2 Will Deal With Theme Of Identity

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Iron Man 2 is under way and we couldn't be happier.  Marvel did an excellent job with the first movie.  We know that in the current comics, everyone knows that Tony Stark is Iron Man.  This is a little odd to me since it's happened twice.  Tony Stark had the entire world's memory of his identity erased to make things easier for him.  Then he later publicly reveals  himself saving a puppy from getting hit by a car. 

At the end of Iron Man when Tony Stark announced that he was Iron Man at the press conference, I was surprised that they were going in that direction so soon.  It was probably the one thing that bothered me a little about the movie.  Thinking about it now, it could be a good thing.  Look at your Batman, Spider-Man and Superman movies.  The concept or problem of dealing with a dual identity has been seen so many times.  With the public knowing that Stark is Iron Man, he doesn't have to worry about protecting his identity.  He will have to worry about friends, though.

Screenwriter Justin Theroux had talked to MTV and had this to say:
    “The obvious thing to improve upon — well, it’s not even an improvement it’s just something to embrace — which is that he’s now a hero that lives in the real world. That’s unique,” Theroux said of Stark’s earth-shattering revelation at the end of the first film that he was Iron Man, making him the first-ever cinematic super without a secret identity.

It’s not a small distinction. There is a line between Clark Kent and Superman, or say, Bruce Wayne and Batman. You could even argue about both that one identity is the “real” one. There no longer is that line with Tony, which means, well, something big.
    Now if only he'd address those Iron Man rumors...
    Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I hope this movie would be good such like the first. I heard that War Machine would appear
    in the movie. I thing the villain might be the Mandrain.  Tony Stark and the Fantastic Four are the only
    heroes that shares their secret identities with the World. All the other  Heroes don't.

putch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By putch

Haven't there been two FF movies this decade? Both where there were no secret ideas.  Though, i'd agree that those weren't really "cinematic."

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Calvin

Maybe Mephisto can help out Tony with his identity. - Just kidding!

Seriously I was too surprised with the identity reveal, but I guess the revelation suits Tony's style, and I guess non comic fans liked better that way.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Calvin
    putch said:
    "Haven't there been two FF movies this decade? Both where there were no secret ideas.  Though, i'd agree that those weren't really "cinematic.""
    That's because the FF don't have secret identities in the comic either!!
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Suigetsu

you mean final fantasy movies?

Ironman FTW! best comic book movie ever!
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By King_Saturn
    Hmmm... Very Nice
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Calvin
    Suigetsu said:
    "you mean final fantasy movies?
    Ironman FTW! best comic book movie ever!
    "
    I was thinking he ment Fantastic four.... now I'm confused...
    Dead Shooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dead Shooter

If Mandarin is in it I hope they don't ruin him like they did Venom in Spidey 3

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By King_Saturn
    Dead Shooter said:
    "

"
    True Indeed
    Anguissette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Anguissette

I'm psyched for this movie!

Dead Shooter said:

"

"
    Let's hope that doesn't happen. Since the movie is being made by Marvel Studios we have to hope that they take better care of their material now that their name and reputation is a direct production from them. They're two for two, let's hope they keep churning out the hits.
    XL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XL

I am really looking forward to Iron Man two I hope that it will be as good as the first one and at the End of number one they showed us the SHIELD was the orgonisation that cept coming up so maby they could bring in the Avengers or somthing

DareDevil47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DareDevil47

I think that Iron Man was a good movie but at the very end after the credits Tony Stark walked in to his house and Nick Feury was there talking about the avengers, so i hope that the avengers arnt in the next movie. That would sock. Also arnt they planning to make Spider-Man 4?

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By G'bandit

Well in the dark knight even if the joker didn't know who Bruce was he still got a hold of Rachel and also Commissioner Gordon is still one of his friends which mean he still got friends in peril been the bat, there is no difference.. That only means that registration or not all heroes have love ones or people they put in jeopardy, besides is not like there is a difference, I mean If they kidnap a civilian and this civilian dies the hero will still be feeling terrible..

I like that Tony reveal himself at the end.  Another thing is that Tony, like they said in the movie, is a man who has everything but at the same time has nothing.. All he has is Pepper and that Robbie the War machine dude, the rest are just employees..

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

You want to get back at Iron Man?  Blow up Stark Enterprises.  Maybe they're just employees but even Stark would feel guilty about it.  One attack and who would want to work there?  There'd have to be some major salary and insurance increases.  Also, forget about his fancy Malibu house.  Target acquired.  I never understood why the Baxter Building hadn't been attacked more often.  But then, Dr. Doom did send the whole friggin' building into space before.

@DareDevil47: Sony has said they are making a Spider-Man 4 & 5.

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By The WeatherMan

I just hope some Avengers tie in is in the movie. That would make my day!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gmanfromheck

There's talk of Tim Robbins playing Tony's dad and him having been involved in the Super Soldier Serum, i.e. Captain America.  There was also the rumors I posted about Hawkeye and Black Widow appearing.  Haven't heard anything to confirm that so far.

capsvibranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By capsvibranium

i dont think they should be making a second one.  i mean, im going to be buying advanced tickets and seeing it at midnight, regardless.  but they can only go down from here, and i think all marvel's efforts should be going towards the absolute perfection of the avengers movie.  i think this sequel is more a result of box office success (i.e. greed) than necessity.  that formula usually makes for exceptionally bad movies, but hey, gots to get paid. 

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#18  Edited By TwilightThunder

Comic Book Movies are not made for comic book fans, so, as G-Man stated some comments above, it'll be a good thing the whole Iron Man goes public thing. Truth be told, i always found the secret identity thing kinda crappy, i mean, if you're a Superhero (powers) it's not that bad being public, or is it? On the contrary, if you're a vigilante (I.E Batman, Punisher, Daredevil "non-powered") I support the secret identity issue.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck

If you had superpowers and didn't have a public identity a couple things come to mind.  Either your 'villains' would try to go after your family and friends to get to you or the public would be at your doorstep all the time begging and pleading for you to constantly be using your powers to help them.  And of course the government would want to use you for their needs too.

Steril Sarah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Steril Sarah

In the end of the newest Hulk movie, didn't Tony Stark appear in the bar where Bruce were? And said that SHIELD had talked  about creating a team (Avengers..)? Could we expect an Avengers movie, then? Correct me if I'm wrong!

bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bumnut
    Steril Sarah said:
    "In the end of the newest Hulk movie, didn't Tony Stark appear in the bar where Bruce were? And said that SHIELD had talked  about creating a team (Avengers..)? Could we expect an Avengers movie, then? Correct me if I'm wrong!"

No, that was Thunderbolt Ross at the bar, who'm Tony was telling him about his little "Avengers" initiative being able to help him with his little Hulk problem.
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Green ankh

I like Sam Jackson but i do not dig him as Fury.  The FF movies sucked as did Spidey 3 and all of the X-Men movies.  Wolverine looks good I hope that the fact that MArvel did well making Iron Man and the Hulk that the well will not dry out. I love Thor but the idea of a movie scares me. All of the casting rumors soud bad.Like Beyonce as Wonder Woman !!! Ghetto Girl more like it.

Echoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Echoes
    Dead Shooter said:
    "

"
    Is screen time really that important? THey could've done what they did with Galactus and turn him into a puff black smoke.
    Paint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Paint

I appreciate the fact that they are going to keep Tony's alcoholism in the next movie. If they threw that storyline out, it would would make Tony less human, and would be completely disregarding the plot of the comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.