Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11205 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

IRON MAN 2 Premieres!

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

You know, maybe I wasn’t paying attention all those years of reading of IRON MAN, but it felt like Tony Stark’s characterization was a little different in the movie. I don’t know, I don’t remember him being that cavalier in the comics. That’s not to say RDJ was off, just that his performance was… amplified? More focused? I felt the same way about Hugh Jackman’s performance in the first X-MEN. I never really liked Wolverine in the comics, but I saw the character’s appeal after that movie because they made him a lot more reasonable. He was more credible as a tough guy without going to the “brooding wild animal” extremes you so often saw in X-MEN. Again, it felt more focused.

I go on that whole preamble because of this clip from MTV wherein Robert Downey Jr. talks about his approach to the character and his thoughts on the possibility of an IRON MAN 3. He confesses that he didn’t delve too far into the comics to shape his portrayal, but relied on the input of comics experts to help him out. He also said that he has definite ideas of how the story of Tony Stark and his supporting cast will advance, be it in an IRON MAN 3 or the AVENGERS, and his ideas have never really clashed with those of Marvel’s creative officers. Again, I think that’s a testament to how well Downey gets the part and brings his own creative input to it… much the same way, I figure, that Jackman did.
     == TEASER == 

We’ve also got photos from the IRON MAN 2 premiere that happened at LA’s famous Chinese theater recently. This is the world premiere even a volcano couldn’t stop! I have to chuckle over seeing Stallone photographed with Sam Jackson. Wouldn’t it be a hoot to see Rambo joining the Avengers?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By tensor

hope this is good as part 1

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

This is gonna be a bad-azz movie.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Namor1987

those iron man dancers looks lost

Britt601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Britt601

I am impatiently waiting for it to come out!!!!
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine

@ Tom Pinchuk  
    Agreed.  I actually loved Robert Downey Jr.'s own "interpretation" of the Tony Stark character a lot more than the books... i.e. making him actually a funny guy. 

"Talk to the hand!" - You won't find me saying silly lines like this in the books girlfriend.
    Before the film, I always thought of Stark as boring... just like his character in the Iron Man made to DVD animation movie a few years ago.  Almost a total contrast in character.

Downey brought a great fresh new take to Stark not seen (if not seen much) in the books, and I enjoyed it. 

I'll even go as far as say that Iron Man's even funnier than Spider-Man now!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

I am totally giddy for this now!

Going to go watch it this weekend... That's right! Here in Mexico we get the movie premiere one week earlier!!!

Abs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Abs

I'm sorry, you don't like Wolverine? I couldn't go beyond that. Wolverine is the coolest fictional character ever! He's the personification of "Cool"! I don't believe there can ever be a cooler character!

Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!
    @sora_thekey said:
    " I am totally giddy for this now!

Going to go watch it this weekend... That's right! Here in Mexico we get the movie premiere one week earlier!!! "
    you're mexican? I thought you lived in california!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:

" @sora_thekey said:

" I am totally giddy for this now!

Going to go watch it this weekend... That's right! Here in Mexico we get the movie premiere one week earlier!!! "
    you're mexican? I thought you lived in california! "
    Yeah Baja California under California... I live right at the border in Tijuana :)
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey: LUCKY!!!
    Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hellos

A little bit of magma and ash can't stop Ironman.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!: I think those UK viners are getting the movie this week too... I'm excited!
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By devilmanex
    @ Tom Pinchuk  
     I agree as well.  Downey Jr. definitely turned the amplifier up on the playboy aspect.  I don't know how I feel so much about it yet until I see Avengers.  In his own corner of the movie universe I guess I don't mind it so much but his interactions with the other Avengers is what I'm curious about.  I don't want him to be the Spiderman of New Avengers with the original team.  He's a serious dude when it comes to teams be it original all the way to the mighty.  Its hard for me to see Tony so cavalier when I know eventually he gets so strict when it comes to the SH registration.  I think for the Avengers movie he should have a little more serious tone which you get glimpses of in the first movie and the Hulk movie.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goldenkey

is there a review on the movie
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @sora_thekey: Friday, lookin forward to it :D
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I don't know...perhaps a little more exaggerated, but everything in RDJ's portrayal stems from the comics. I took his comment as him saying he's an expert when it comes to Iron Man, which he then goes on to say, he just gets lost when you throw him into Avengers, which does make sense considering the supposed reports of him not being all that thrilled by being sucked into Hulk and Avengers.

lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By lastdrag0n89

I expect this to be the movie of the year

Clone of me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clone of me

I was hoping to see it in Cuenca Ecuador (I'm visiting my folks there) but seeing it in my home town will be fine too.  I also think it's great when all parties involved on any project can put their two cents in with being a inspiring hope for what may come out of that said property as a whole. 

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Please....please...PLEASE bring Mandarin in 3!

chowy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By chowy

How cool that we are having it one week before US
    That can be a good strategy for our tourism

brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brendon277

Here comes another Iron Man and i'm happy.

Lawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lawton

TWO MORE DAYS and I get to watch it! So Excited! April 29 can't come quick enough!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By doordoor123

I read a review from the premiere and the writer said that the first half of the movie was slow, but the last 30 minutes of the movie was good. It also said that there were similarities to the feel of Dark Knight. But i dont see that from the preview. We'll see. Im seeing it at 12:05 on friday morning.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By goldenkey
    @Abs said:
    "I'm sorry, you don't like Wolverine? I couldn't go beyond that. Wolverine is the coolest fictional character ever! He's the personification of "Cool"! I don't believe there can ever be a cooler character! "

the Fonze.
    nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By nick7913

Won a couple of tickets in a competition and saw the film yesterday! I don't get where all the reviewers are coming from. They say that the film is convoluted, that there are too many elements, too many characters etc. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Everything was well balanced and everything was in its place except for a small part in the beginning (about 20 minutes) which I felt could have gone a bit faster. Maybe its me. Maybe once you get to the point where you understand the origin of Nate Grey nothing seems too complex. Still, I wonder if they would say the same thing if they saw someone juggling a flaming torch, a chainsaw and an axe. "Yeah, I think that he should have gone with a simpler approach. Maybe lose one of the three things?" Dude! If he isn't chopping his arm off he's succeeding. Why must everything be dumbed down to be considered successful? Go watch the film. If you liked the first one, chances are you'll like this one as well.

P.S. The scene after the end of the credits is sweet! I got goosebumps!

MikeIsrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikeIsrael

Gweneth Paltrow works  fast!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.