Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11205 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

How much of Iron Man's popularity is because of RDJ?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I was just thinking about how popular Iron Man has gotten over the past 4 years and wondered is he only this popular because of Robert Downey Jr? I mean he wasn't all that popular before the movies and I sometimes think if a different actor played him he'd be about as popular as Captain America or Thor. Still really popular but not at the level he is now. It'll be interesting to see how popular he is once Downey Jr. eventually stops playing him, he'll of course take a dip in popularity but how big of one? Do casual fans really like Iron Man or do they just like him because he's played by the incredibly charismatic Robert Downey Jr.?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Pretty much all of it. Tony Stark's personality is more or less based more off of RDJ lately since the movies came out. Fraction's take on Tony is at least.

I think RDJ took the idea of Tony Stark and simply brought him to life, I mean seeing video of his appearance at Comic-Con this past year just made me love the guy because he acts so much like Tony Stark would if he were real.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FearTheLiving

Well it's a little of both. RDJ was pretty much done with movies until he got the shot for Iron Man so I doubt people just went to see it for him (I didn't), but what he did was become Tony Stark but in a way make him his own. Tony Stark was just the role he was meant to play.

Also I'm sure when he stops playing IM it'll take a dip just by the number of movies I think he would have been in by then, but yes unless they got a really good actor to fill his shoes it wouldn't be the same.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ComicStooge

I prefer the Iron Man NOT based off RDJ.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ratman19

the only reason he is popular is because of RDJ otherwise everyone woudnt like him because hes a douche that gets all the women and is super rich and smart.

Misterkyle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Misterkyle91

Iron Man has always been my favorite for what used to be mainly his bad a$! character design. The movies and recent storylines being excellent is just the cherry on top; a reward for childhood loyalty. Its been fun to watch him rise from b-lister to to heavy hitter almost overnight.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

You know there is definitely some truth to that...I think he plays the character well, and lends him a certain humanity that turns an irritating, obnoxious hero into someone with a little more depth. I definitely wasn't as keen on Iron Man until the more modern portrayal. Then again, I'm biased: I'm a bit stalky when it comes to RDJ.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By soduh2

@ComicStooge said:

I prefer the Iron Man NOT based off RDJ.

I've always heard this complaint. Can someone clarify what a non-RDJ-equse Ironman would be like. To me it's like a non-JK Simmons version of J Jonah or a non-Patrick Stewart version of Professor X.

tylertothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tylertothemax

@Jack Donaghy: I like to believe that the "comic book world" doesn't care/relate comics to the movies too often. I feel like there are casual DC/Marvel people, (i.e. movie watchers), and pretty hardcore DC/Marvel people, (i.e. most of us on CV).

I don't see a lot of middle ground, nor do i personally know any "casual" comic book readers.

Although I do think RDJ is a perfect Iron-Man, he sure didn't interest me in Iron-Man comics.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Joygirl

72.4%

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twentyfive

More than Wolverine's popularity is caused by Hugh Jackman. And that is a lot.

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aero_gt

Ironman was never as popular as the X-men, Spider-man, or Hulk before the movie. So like 80% if we go by casual standards.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDJ deserves a huge amount of the credit for the Iron Man films success as well as leading the Avengers movie. Most comic movies took lesser known actors and made them stars, RDJ was already a critically acclaimed actor before doing Iron Man and brought a lot of credibility to the role.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.