Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Does Tony still have the Extremis powers?

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Brit

After the Disassembled story arc, Tony is now using the Bleeding Edge Armor which from my understanding is all Nano Technology. What does it do? Does it give him the same powers like the Extremis Virus (e.g. remotely connect to external communications systems such as satellites, cellular phones, and computers) or it just covers him in his super-cool armor and can replicate any weapons at his mental command? 

For the record i didn't like the Extremis powers. Its like it gave Tony the power of Technopathy and I hated the idea. The reason why I love Iron Man comics is because Tony doesn't have superpowers and he relies only on his genius and the greatest power of all: cold-hard cash! just kidding :D 

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Chesapeake

Yes I think so

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

Since it is essentially an upgrade, you can indeed assume he still has the heightened powers of Extremis. Which would make sense for the fact that he can access his armor's functionality without speech commands, but in a rather 'wireless brainwave communication'. So why only his armor and not other devices. Plus a genius wouldn't downgrade his software. That wouldn't make any sense.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Brit
    @ShirEPanjshir said:
    "Plus a genius wouldn't downgrade his software. That wouldn't make any sense. "
    totally correct! One thing about Iron Man is change/upgrades/modifications just like technology. Thanks for the input!
    Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Final Arrow

Tony still has the extremis abilities, the armour has been modified by himself and Reed Richards (the armour he wears now). But he still can call the armour out of nothing and has the healing ability that extremis gave him. So in a nut shell yeah! 

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brit

with the Extemis virus that made him almost a cyborg...

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By karrob
    @Brit said:
    " with the Extemis virus that made him almost a cyborg... "
    Pretty much
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brit

What exactly is the difference between the Extremis and the Bleeding Edge armor? Here is what I think:

1. First, the Extremis is a techo-organic virus that turns Tony into a literal USB port where the Iron Man armor snaps-on and allows him to pilot it through his nervous system. Plus it gives him the ability of wireless communication and enhanced physical attributes like a healing factor of sorts. 

2. The Bleeding Edge is composed of nanobots that comes out from his body and encases him with in armor. It also can form any weapons he imagines but does it also give him the same abilities the Extremis virus gives even without activating the armor? I read in issue #29 Tony can used the nanobots to make his vision telescopic.

So all in all, as karrob said, both of this innovations have pretty much turned Tony into a cyborg. Iron Man keeps getting cooler and cooler!  

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By DH69

yes, and they've been takin to new heights

jake0814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jake0814

no i think not.. extremis virus have been shut down by the skrull biological weapon during the secret invasion.. then it has been rendered useless ever since(probably excreted out of the body like all viruses)

the bleeding edge armor was created to help replicate and replace tony's previous extremis abilities to what he had lost. Being called "an upgrade" to Extremis by Mr. Fantastic, Tony Stark corrected this comment by saying, "Nah - this is what comes next". stating that means, Tony Stark does not rely on the extremis anymore. It also meant that a more direct symbiote relationship between an armor and the user without the use of a bridge(like the extremis virus) he can specifically bond with the Bleeding edge armor making the user and the armor "all in one" without the use of the extremis virus nor depending on it

bleeding edge armor has granted all the powers of the extremis virus(this is not a trade off to extremis). he combined his physiological body, the new bleeding edge technology and a new arc reactor for enhance brain functions. nanotech to cure what damage has been done to his body as long the arc reactor power is not interrupted.

note:Bleeding edge armor technology is not an upgrade to extremis, this is what comes next to extremis

jake0814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jake0814

@ShirEPanjshir: its not an upgrade he totally replaced it with bleeding edge armor.. read the comics issue Invincible Iron Man #25 a genius will not upgrade nor downgrade it, he will replace it

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

@jake0814: That's just semantics and I asure you, I've read that issue since Invincible Iron Man is a steady series on my pull list. Not sure why you discussing semantics is relevant to this topic either. But anyway, to me, replacing something aged with something newer and better can be considered upgrading.

jake0814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jake0814

@ShirEPanjshir:sorry bro for bein straight. well to me i would not call "upgrading" my windows to mac.. same like upgrading my nokia to iphone.. sounds wrong to me.. bleeding edge platform is very different thing to extremis.. it operates without biological assistance lets say like the extremis virus, it just manipulates itself out of the wearer.. and i quote " it operates without servos or whatever machinations like all in the previous armors"

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By danhimself

he definitely still has his Extremis powers...they're a part of him...he can't get rid of them

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By ComicStooge

@danhimself said:

he definitely still has his Extremis powers...they're a part of him...he can't get rid of them

And why would he want to?

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
    Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump! Didn't Tony get rid if Extremis/Bleeding Edge and now he's using other suits? I'm not caught up on Iron man. Also if he is indeed using new suits without extremis/B.E. then doesn't be lose a bit of power? Now he has kind of taken a step backwards unless I'm missing something?

Avatar image for thatprattbastard
    Thatprattbastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With Extremis the virus wasn't the source of the powers, it was the delivery system. When Tony was infected with the specialized strain it rewired his genetic makeup. The Extremis powers are a part of him now. The abilities can be blocked, as happened with the Skrull, but to actually get rid of them altogether someone would have to actually change his genetic structure again.

Erediore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Erediore

Let me clarify, Extremis isn't a virus that can be excreted out of the body as a flu, Extremis hasn't rendered useless, remember that it's first a supersoldier serum, one that makes the body undergo a mutation, it changes the genetic structure and replace all organs in the body for new and stronger organs, as @thatprattbastard said, the virus is just the delivery system, it can be blocked as happened with Skrulls, but to totally get rid of it, he must undergo a new genetic structure change and replace all the organs for lesser and weaker organs, for me that sounds like replacing a PS4 for a clasic Nintendo... and you cheer about that? Really? I can't laugh enough to ppl that love Stark for being "just a regular guy with brain", I find the virus powers as just an update, indeed that is the idea of Extremis, to update the body's operative system. Even with it, Stark stays as just a regular guy with brain, without those powers only feeds DCites into thinking their heroes are better in all possible ways to no comparations, such thing as Stark suitless being Batman's bitch, the virus helps to avoid falling into that dumb scenario, it's like getting rid of Green Lantern's ring to be able to beat Hal (or who you like most).

So, he just replaced the ways to use that delivery system and do a step forward not backward, he still have Extremis upgrades to his biological and genetic systems, he uses them in new fashions thanks to bleeding edge technology. Replacing things in tech is technically an upgrade, it's not upgrading "nokia to iphone" that's stupid, it's upgrading "jelly bean to kit-kat", you know you have upgraded your Android version, what you don't know is that they replaced many many things in the code, while keeping the core system as the trademark pattern, a pattern easily recognizable in any version, for that reason Stark can still bond his armor within him, exploiting what Extremis allows him to do. Having better organs, denser skin and bone structures undeniably amps his natural strengh and speed levels, as well as his amped senses and reflexes stays the same, may he lost the technokinesis (not at all from what I saw recently), but is just a minimal loss. I think he will surprise us even more in the future, now that he is traveling through the galaxy with the Guardians, remember one last thing, Stark and Iron Man is about fringe science and Extremis is about reaching the extremes, now he is going further and further. So what is the problem of Stark having superpowers, it's just fringe science applied to himself, the future is coming ppl, Stark will not use Mark I forever. Why everybody else can have superpowers related to tech and he don't? Nothing is written in the stones!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.