Does Iron man even have any weaknesses ??

• 138 results
#1 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm failing to see any exploitable weaknesses in iron man for the character in general regardless of what suit he's wearing. Other than abstract concepts like his humanity and narcissism, how can characters who aren't on the level of superman best him in a battle ?

#3 Posted by JohnnyZ256 (6486 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure the Omega Effect would reduce Iron Man, regardless of suit, to a puddle of nothing.

#4 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnnyz256: True but that's provided the beams come into contact with iron man, the suit seems more than fast and capable enough to evade energy beams for example. And the omega effect is somewhat specific to darkseid, let's say a weakness that isn't accessible only to a certain character, kind of like kryptonite for superman and carbonadium for characters that can heal. Which is why I feel like there really isn't really a realistic approach to beating him for people not on the level of superman for example batman, deathstroke etc.

#5 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: People on the level of Batman or Deathstroke aren't supposed to beat him. I don't even know why this troubles you.

#6 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#7 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: well thats how it goes. Street levelers can beat and be beaten by eachother. Mid tiers can beat eachother and street level. and so on. iron man is mid tier and of course less powerful people couldnt beat iron man fairly. thats the point

#8 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: I suppose so but let's take deathstroke for example, beaten members of the justice league considered to be of higher tier than iron man to my knowledge, but I don't see how he would be able to beat iron man. And same goes for batman, he's bested enemies of much higher tier than iron man objectively speaking yet I see no way in which he can beat iron man.

#9 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: guess it's the way I am lol but generally would like to know whether he has any weaknesses or not for my own knowledge and probably because deathstroke is one of my favourite characters and without fanboying, he's already smashed so many characters of higher tier than iron man but it's interesting since iron man seems to be almost insurmountable is all.

#10 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: batman sucks so idk about him but deathstroke beat members of the justice league with a lot of prep, members forgetting their powers or not going all out and PIS. but both can easily beat iron man with prep. cap america beat ironman face in almost with his shield. Its not impossible just takes something other than a random fair encounter.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much anything capable of breaking the metal his armor is made of would be a bit of a weakness. As far as I know he's never had an armor made out of adamantium or vibranium so that's actually a pretty long list of exploitable weaknesses. If he has titanium or tungsten steel armor on for instance an adamantium bullet would tear right through it.

#12 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: Ah I see, hate to be pushy but how do u think it would be achievable beating iron man with preparation time of course for the mentioned characters i.e deathstroke lol ?

#13 Edited by Skit (5292 posts) - - Show Bio

He exists in the same verse as magneto, so there's that. He's also an alcoholic.

Anyways, strong enough technopathy, electrical manipulation and more had abilities like intangability.

#14 Posted by comicace3 (12435 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12883 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Beat me to it. Idk, Stark always seems like a scotch guy to me *shrugs*

#16 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

@shazam117: That was the only alcohol I had already in my images..... Take a guess what my favorite drink is?

#17 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicace3: I mean yeh but that's not really much of a weakness unless we're speaking really situationally in the case that a character will fight iron man whilst he's drunk lol. Realistically that's unlikely and it's not like characters can make iron man drink til he's hammered, is there any substance/weapon that can actually compromise his armour consistently ?

#18 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: im not really sure he would either have make the suit run out of power, destroy his vision/sensors, shut the suit down or have something to tag and destroy his armor. But it would have to be some onesided prep because ironman could outprep deathstroke

#19 Posted by comicace3 (12435 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for thenewbluebeetle007
#20 Posted by TheNewBlueBeetle007 (4758 posts) - - Show Bio
@rpgesus said:

@darkbrooder: im not really sure he would either have make the suit run out of power, destroy his vision/sensors, shut the suit down or have something to tag and destroy his armor. But it would have to be some onesided prep because ironman could outprep deathstroke

Well, it depends on how much prep is involved. Remember Deathstroke has taken on the Teen Titans by himself.

As for the thread, I feel as though Tony can be cocky sometimes. In addition, I think a beautiful woman could easily kill him via seduction and subsequent knifing :P

#21 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

Alcoholism is his only weakness

No Caption Provided

#22 Edited by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

As people have said so far, without any random scenarios that favour the person battling iron man or without iron man being drunk on alcohol and so on, Adamantium while not a direct weakness seems to be the only substance/weapon that can pierce Tony's armour. Of course it would all come down to Tony trying to evade being hammered with adamantium bullets, slashes or what not for example from the claws of Sabretooth/wolverine but if iron man can be grounded and stopped from flying, people with superior combat skills and access to adamantium have a very decent shot. It does come down to accessibility but then again there are many characters who are insanely rich or can use the resources of others i.e hired guns. In most cases I assume Tony would be flying to avoid ground to ground fights in this case, which means it comes down to using guns for characters like deathstroke, deadshot and even batman or whatever cos I don't see how they could stop Tony from flying and ground him other than waiting out for the suit to run out of power but that's not much of an approach.

Perhaps kryptonite being an extra terrestrial substance or whatever has the strength and durability as a substance to withstand attacks from the iron man and possibly dish out strong enough punishment against the suit but it's a long shot. Adamantium seems to be a more generally realistic approach.

#24 Edited by Dextersinister (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

True technopathy, example that guy from the X-Men who has the mutant ability to just take control of machines from cars to Hellicarriers, it isn't hacking, it's just outright machine control, shield had to remove every vehicle and piece and piece of electronics in his area before they went in after him.

Tony has no defense against that form of technopathy or at least shouldn't without WIS or outside help as it's not hacking, on the other hand Cap or Batman could just walk up and punch this guy out.

or Michelle Hundred

Skilled hacker is still on the table

#25 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@thesupremesorcerer: Oh yeh lol forgot about that. So I suppose the heat and fire idea can be assimilated into weaponry or gadgets of some sort like extreme heat bullets, or swords/blades made of radioactive substances that heat up on contact on what they hit but it seems a little more unlikely than adamantium.

The question now though is how iron man can be grounded whilst flying, considering he moves fairly fast and it's not as if you could just propel a grapple gun on to him and pull him down lol, how would you get him in the ideal state of being face to face to best him on combat for the certain characters who can ??

#26 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@thesupremesorcerer said:

@darkbrooder: Iron Man is weak against fire and heat. Doesn't matter which suit.

Extreme heat is supposed to destroy even planets.

Another one is Iron Man cannot move in small areas. Invisible Woman can cage him.

Depends on what you define as "extreme heat." Iron Man has survived nuclear heat (which range from 50-150 million degrees Fahrenheit), he's survived on the surface of the sun, and he's survived in Dwarve forges that had enough heat to "melt the sun."

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
Nuclear heat.
No Caption Provided

His suit isn't even remotely harmed by the heat of the sun here.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
Forged from Dwarves from mystic Uru metal, in fires that would melt the sun.
Forged from Dwarves from mystic Uru metal, in fires that would melt the sun.

Also, Iron Man has broken Sue's forcefields before.

No Caption Provided

#27 Posted by AssertingValor (8180 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@dextersinister: I assume you're talking about magneto, if you are then yes magneto in most scenarios straight up pummels iron man but of course since anything is possible in the world of comic books lol, there was a case i think in avengers vs x-men where Tony created an iron man suit made purely of carbon nano particles or something like that so that magneto had no control over the suit since it was no longer made of metal. Problem is, that ability to control metal is only specific to magneto , it's not a general weakness or general weapon that could be used against iron man like adamantium to pierce his armour.

And I agree that cap and Batman could easily destroy iron man in hand to hand combat but the problem is... Tony wouldn't put himself in a situation where he's on the ground against superior combatants thus he would almost always be flying and fighting from a distance/range for some advantage. Which means that in many cases, it'll just be a prolonged battle where one character is trying to dodge all of Iron man's rockets and blasts and stay protected (provided these characters can't fly) and iron man would constantly evade being in enough distance for characters to take him down with close range combat. Stalemate would probably end with iron man's suit reducing to 0% but that's a long shot..

So once again, it begs the question.... how do you ground iron man and stop him from flying ???

#29 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994: How would you propose a character could ground iron man and stop him from achieving flight or disrupt him while he is flying ? without character specific aspects of course.. ?

#30 Edited by Dextersinister (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: No not Magneto, Technopaths, just people who have the supernatural ability to control machines, think Poison Ivy but machines instead of plants

No Caption Provided

The above character could tell his armor to freeze and it would because it's a machine, it's a problem that's come up in a few tournaments where technopaths are technically not against the rules but really hax if you have an equipment based character

#33 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@thesupremesorcerer: Yeh I agree , there's not much you can exploit against Iron man. Master hand to hand combatants can best him though but only in very close range which is unlikely seeing as he can fly... Which... Once AGAIN begs the question lol... someone really needs to answer this haha...

How can you disrupt iron man during flight or stop him from flying altogether realistically in general without considering character specific advantages ???

#34 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder said:

@noone301994: How would you propose a character could ground iron man and stop him from achieving flight or disrupt him while he is flying ? without character specific aspects of course.. ?

Well putting a shield around him could work, but the shield would have to be strong enough. Like if Thanos did it it'd work.

@thesupremesorcerer said:

@noone301994:

Extreme heat, is not the Sun. The Sun is a source of hot energy, but Iron Man can surely stand that. And let's be honest, the classic Iron Man was a lot more durable. Iron Man can not survive on the Sun unless it's an armor or PIS.

Contradiction much?

The extreme heat I was referring to was however not a source, it was a ambient energy form.

Okay? What difference does that make?

Iron is easily to melt.

His armor isn't made of iron. It's a mixture of extremely durable and expensive metals that are stitched together by microscopic forcefields. That's what makes his armor so durable.

Now, Iron Man cannot withstand the heat of Canis Majoris as the sun isn't even visible in comparison and the planet is the largest planet and has ultimate heats 1000×s of times hotter. It even destroys molecules.

Probably not, but there aren't many characters that could survive that, so how does that translate to Iron Man having a 'heat weakness'? A heat weakness is when someone gets harmed or scared by any temperature of heat, not someone that can get melted from billions of degrees of heat.

Really, Iron Man has a weakness to heats. Also, Iron Man could never get passed Spectre's shield, so he could be caged. Not only by him but by most omnipotents.

No he doesn't. You have absolutely no proof of his 'weakness.' Obviously he couldn't get past a powerful shield like Spectre, Thanos, etc. but I was just proving to you that Iron Man can and has broken through Sue's shields. I never implied or said that he couldn't be caged.

Susan could cage IM if bloodlusted and/or pop him.

Her shields don't become more powerful when she's blood-lusted and she wouldn't be able to pop him if he's moving fast enough or has his shields up.

Again, being caged in a force-field isn't a 'weakness' because that would mean any force-field could trap him. Only the extremely powerful ones would be able to trap him.

#35 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994: that is the singular best scan I've seen.... showing the true potential of Tony showing a sick tactic for strange and just being a badass and then finally dr doom just being the best lol

#36 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994: Yeh I guess that makes sense but putting a shield around him would only work for a select couple characters rather than just being generally accessible and so on. For example, when it comes to characters like batman, deathstroke, or any other hand to hand master combatants, they'd ideally want iron man in close range but that's not achievable whilst iron man is constantly in flight, so how do u think they could get him on the ground without just waiting for the suit's power to run out or some shit like that ? lol

#37 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man doesn't have any combat weaknesses. You can't EMP him, you can't magnetize him, you can't easily melt him, you can't easily freeze him, he doesn't have an electricity weakness, water, etc. The only way to beat him is to break or smash his suit with a lot of force. Even Thor and Hulk have difficulty breaking his suits without effort and more than a couple of hits.

#38 Edited by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994: Adamantium can rip the annoying retard up tho lol. So If iron man is on the ground face to face, ideally speaking, that would be where hand to hand combatants would want him but how could they get him on the ground and holy crap... Why is Iron man so good lol.

#39 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: Pulling him down with a grapple hook or something? But you'd need a lot of force to do that to overpower his jet boosters.

#40 Edited by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbrooder: also while on the ground he had millisecond reaction time in combat

So it would take adamantium plus someone fast enough to tag him.

#41 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio

Alcohol.

Oh and Ms Marvel has taken it to him a few times by absorbing his repulser rays and firing them back. She absorbed a good chunk of his suits power once as well I think.

That's all I know of but I'm no Iron Man expert. I only know of that because I'm a Carol fan.

#43 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: Deathstroke is the only one that comes to mind considering he's atleast somewhat superhuman and potentially deadshot clipping him with an admantium bullet considering he's tagged speedsters with bullets in the past.

#45 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#46 Edited by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how he is any different than any other human in a supersuit.

#47 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@mad_titan: 3rd smartest in marvel universe a lot of experience insane resources. Who else has supersuits btw

#48 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@mad_titan: the problem is, he's human underneath the suit but it's very rare that characters will encounter him and fight him without his suit on. While he has his suit on, there's almost no weaknesses whatsoever and not many practical ways you can take away some of his strengths like flight and so on.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#49 Posted by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: I'm talking about in terms of weakness

#50 Posted by DarkBrooder (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: I don't see why everyone has the idea of batman always winning to be honest, it's a lot more realistic for iron man being able to beat almost anyone with prep time but that might be an overstatement, either way the character is very bloody strong

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.