Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Awesome Toy Picks: Iron Man Mark III (Construction Version) Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week we got our hands on the Iron Man Mark III Construction Version Sixth Scale figure by Hot Toys. It's available for pre-order from Sideshow Collectibles.

Be sure to check out the video at the top of the page to really see it in "action."

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Let's just be clear, this is not exactly a full figure. This is the suit in construction mode, like in movie when Tony Stark is working on the suits. You can see the Mark III armor hanging. This figure is part of the diorama series. But there is plenty of coolness to make this figure stand out.

Because the figure is hanging from 'chains,' there is a base with the Iron Man logo on the top.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The base has a simple name plate. There are also lights in the base and top.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You can see, there is quite a bit of detail in the figure as it just hangs there. There is a removable chest plate and whole bunch of wires.

No Caption Provided

The wires aren't just for show. They do serve a purpose. Once you plug in all the wires in the right place (again, check out the video for details), it does light up in an impressive way.

No Caption Provided

There's lights in the eyes and chest/arc reactor. But you can also see the blue lights in his arm. These really stand out and gives the figure a really cool look and feel.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I have to say, these pictures don't do it the full justice it deserves. The lights aren't super-bright. You wouldn't want that. You can see that even in a brightly lit room, the lights do have a real good amount of shine.

Also, if you prefer, you can put the chest plate on. I kind of like it off, sitting on the bottom, to really make it look like it's being worked on. You have some options.

No Caption Provided

As for the wires, they're not just there for lighting up the base and figure. They ad to the look of the construction mode.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Even from different angles, the figure and the wires are impressive. The more I looked at it, the more I started really digging the 'construction' feel to it. If you're a serious collector, chances are you already have an Iron Man figure.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There is also a "battery" that fits inside the container.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Of course to really appreciate the lights, you'll want to dim the room lights a bit. I tried to capture it but you know how lighting can be tricky when taking photographs. This gives you an idea.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I have to say, I really like the simplicity of the partial figure combined with the elegance of how it looks when displayed. There isn't any articulation to the figure but you don't really need any. It wouldn't make sense. The small base makes it easy to tuck in on a corner of your desk or on a shelf with your other displayed figures. The lights look great. The blue light really adds a nice touch to the look.

The set is available for pre-order now: http://bit.ly/BuyIMConstruction. It's expected to ship this month. It's an amazing looking figure, even if it's not a 'complete' figure. Thanks to Sideshow Collectibles for letting us get an early look at the figure. Let us know what you think of it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By amazing_webhead

That is so sweet!

(Also, first)

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I've never really been that into collectibles, but if I would for sure add this as my first ever collectible.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Tony Stark must be a big fan of the Road Warrior movies.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

It's pretty cool that the cables are actually functional.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

This looks absolutely impressive when it's turned on!

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By d9000

Well that's the cutestest little car battery I've ever seen! Best part by far :p

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

WOW!

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skit

Awesome, I would much rather have this than the $200+ cap figures. Though it's still a bit more than I'm willing to pay.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@skit: There's just something about it. It may not be a "complete" figure but there's just something about it in this form. If you had a full Iron Man figure that lit up, it doesn't seem like it'd "feel" the same.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Oh no doubt, this is the first of the sideshow statues/figures that I've actually considered buying. The incompleteness doesn't really bug in terms of it's value, It's more a self impossed $100 limit that I put on this kind of stuff. Which comes from being $pooled by video game collector editions. While most aren't nearly as high quality, there's sometimes gems that are about up to snuff with this at a cheaper price.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.