zachattack1239's Iron Man: Dragon Seed Saga #1 - TPB review

Avatar image for zachattack1239

Dragon Seed Saga review

I'm gonna start out with saying that I think this story is extremely underrated. This is the first story arc that gave true depth to Mandarin's character making him worthy of being Tony's biggest threat and nemesis. For those of you who haven't read it I will try to give a good plot summary without spoiling the story. Tony has to travel to china for an appointment with the most famous neurologist in the world Dr. Su Yin. As most of you know Tony's central nervous system completely shut down forcing him to make a temporary artificial nervous system. The authorities of china make one condition if they are gonna help tony... the services of Tony's "bodygaurd" Iron Man (Jim Rhodes at the time considering Tony wasn't in good enough health condition to board the Iron Man armor). They tell Rhodey that the service required to help tony would be to take on the wielder of the ten alien rings capable of ultimate destruction, the mandarin. Rhodey arrives and is in for a little surprise when he see's the alien dragon known as Fin Fang Foom. Rhodey gets beaten and Tony is forced to board the Iron Man armor to take on the Dragon. In between the mandarin undergoes a life changing experience when he finds out his whole life is a lie. Tony and mandarin have to team up to take on the dragons unleashed by mandarin's old master, chen hsu. That pretty much sums up the plot without spoiling anything, I am gonna say that I do not like the art at all. I'm not trying to throw Paul Ryan under the bus but i felt as if he was just being lazy, I was never a fan of how he made the armor look (the huge boots). I also felt that the relationship between Su Yin and Tony was so sudden and didn't make much sense. I don't think tony and her should say i love you to each other the day after they met. Some of the writing was a little cheesy but i must admit that some of the jokes John Byrne put in there actually made me chuckle. The fights were great and getting to know the origin story of Fin Fang Foom and the ten alien rings was very cool. The story was very well paced and had lots of action, I also loved epilogue at the end of the story but you'll have to read it on your own to find out. I think John Byrne captured tony's personality perfectly. I also loved how he made the supporting cast contributors to the story. If you are an iron man fan then I definitely recommend you pick this up. Even if you haven't read much iron man then it is still a good read. Overall I give this story a 4.5