Stark's trademark red and gold armor arose from a battle with a villain named Mr. Doll, who could control the gold armor through a replica figurine. To circumvent the villain's ability, Stark withdrew and constructed a new suit with a significantly different look and a lighter build- thus allowing him to devote less of his own strength to moving the armor and more to fighting Mr. Doll's influence-, resulting in the streamlined red and gold suit.
Iron Boy (aka Teen Stark) wore a slightly modified version of the Mk. III armor during his battle with Iron Man, although it was hastily destroyed by Iron Man.
The Iron Man of Earth-2149 (Marvel Zombies) wears the Mk. III armor.
In Other Media
The Mk. III armor appears as the primary suit in the live-action Iron Man movie. In the movie, Tony produces the armor after testing out the Mk. II, and uses it during his confrontation with the Ten Rings terrorist organization. During the final act of the film, Tony wears the suit during his battle with Iron Monger. At the start of Iron Man 2, Tony has already switched to the Mk. IV armor, with the Mk. III now shown on display in the Hall of Armors. The suit is destroyed along with all the other ones on display when Tony's house is blown up in Iron Man 3.
- The Mk. III armor was used in the Marvel Super Heroes TV show from the 1960s, which was Iron Man's first appearance in animation.
- The Mk. III armor appears in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "The Ultron Imperative," where it is seen as one of the hijacked suits brought under the control of Ultron. In the Season 2 premier, "The Private War of Doctor Doom," Iron Man is shown sporting this suit again.
- The Mk. III Iron Man suit appears as an alternate costume for Iron Man in Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
- It returns as an alternate costume for Iron Man in the sequel, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.
- The Mk. III appears as an alternate costume in the 2008 Iron Man game from Sega.
- The Mk. III armor was featured in ToyBiz's very first Marvel Legends wave. A chase variant depicting the "horns" the suit was sometimes drawn with was also released.
- Bowen Designs produced a statue of Iron Man in his Mark III armor.
- The Mk. III was featured in the Iron Man 2 Comic Series line from Hasbro.
- The Classic Iron Man figure from Hasbro's Marvel Legends Iron Monger Build-a-Figure wave came with an alternate head to turn it into the Mk. III.
- The Mk. III was made into a Dorbz figure by Funko.
- The Mk. III Iron Man figure was featured in Hasbro's Marvel Universe line.
- Sideshow Collectibles released a statue of the Mk. III figure as part of the Avengers Assemble statue line.
- Alex Ross' stylized rendition of the Mark III suit was featured in Hasbro's Marvel Legends line as part of the Marvel 80th Anniversary collection.
- The suit was used in Mezco's One:12 line of action figures.