Follow

Iron Man 3

Movie » Iron Man 3 released on April 25, 2013.

Iron Man 3, released on May 3, 2013 (USA). It stars Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and Sir Ben Kingsley.

Iron Man 3's Twist (Comic Book Question of the Week)

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Iron Man 3's Twist (Comic Book Question of the Week) (375 votes)

Brilliant and so hysterical. I loved it. 38%
    Honestly, I didn't care. 19%
    Disrespectful and such a letdown. I hated it. 42%

This week, we want to know how you feel about Iron Man 3's big twist with The Mandarin. If you haven't seen the film and don't want spoilers, why did you even click the thread? Come on!

• 
    weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The trailers were more exciting than the movie. Full of plot holes/stupidity. There are many things I did like though, but overall I was disappointed.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The twist of the "Mandarin" being in truth an out of work actor named Trevor Slattery is only initially funny. After the initial cheapness of the joke and a jilt or two of laughter, I was gravely disappointed. The "Ten Rings" being not actual rings of power but multiple terrorist cells was just...urgh. I know that its supposed to be an adaptation of Mandarin International from the Ultimate Universe but still, it was downright silly.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Have we not talked about this enough? Also, the numbers could be interpreted as, A certain percentage were opposed to it, and a certain percentage (combination of not caring and liking) were not opposed to it.

Rorschach94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was disappointed almost from the very start with this movie. They took a concept that was really good and made it a giant joke. Every 10 seconds was a joke or stupid pun, when it started to get serious I thought it was good but guess what, BOOM, insert stupid joke. There is more, but I feel like it doesn't matter. But ill finish with this, the movie was over when the little kid entered the movie.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I didn't hate it, or feel like the entire movie became an avalanche because of it. I disliked the twist, mostly because I don't see what purpose it was supposed to serve, or why that character was even there to begin with. The only possible reason I can think of is to bait comic fans into seeing it with certain hopes and expectations.

Avatar image for omegadarkside1337
    OmegaDarkside1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Iron Patriot thing ruined the movie.

Avatar image for theuncannyshazam
    theuncannySHAZAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By theuncannySHAZAM

To be honest, I went into this movie really wanting to see a badass & ruthless Mandarin. Once, I the twist came up I was a little disappointed that a major Iron Man villain was reduced to nothing more than a drug addict. But, when I went home a thought about it, I found that I loved the idea since it was crucial to the story and made a lot of sense. Overall it was a nice twist and was pretty funny. I liked it.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie didn't sit right with me and I didn't know why at first but now I do, it's not because of the Mandarin twist that made me disappointed but rather the entire movie as a whole, it felt like the movie was meant to be one big joke honestly and the plot of the movie was not only predictable but jumped around to much

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#60  Edited By Extremis
    Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#61  Edited By MadeinBangladesh
    jymevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ruined it for me ... because the Mandarin was the main reason I was excited about this movie. I thought that Tony was finally going to have a villain that was his equal. Was really looking forward to seeing Ben Kingsley bring this awesome character to life. I felt like I was punched in the gut on the reveal and almost walked out. the only reason I stayed is to see if there was a double twist .. that maybe the REAL mandarin was pulling the strings.. instead we got Glow-Stick man.

jymevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincethekid said:

Simple question, You have Sir Ben Kingsley one the best actors of our time... why not use him to his fullest potential? He's an amazing actor. He could have been Heath Ledger quality or better!?? Mandarin and the 10 rings could have been one of sinister villains of all time!

Here's a few thing that hurt me and a lot of the fans the MOST:

One, Marvel Studios made this... Not Fox, Sony, etc. They approve this this piece of crap!? They're so many loose ends I don't know where to start. I think what happen is.... they played with the formula and they shouldn't have. It worked before.... why change it? Now, they're gonna pay the price. Fans now might be a little skeptical about the next Marvel movies.

Two, John Favreau should have directed this movie. Period. It just didn't have the pop of the first two films. It didn't have the same tone. The jokes didn't work like the first two movies.... it had some great moments with the kid but, even the Rhodey moments seem weak. He was a background character with no real context for the story. The pacing, the sloppy special effects, not using Mandarin right.... everything about this movie seemed rushed!!

Three, The whole point of the end credits... is to push for the next Marvel movies... leading us to Avengers 2. Why Banner? How about Tony builds a suit... and heads for space? How about Rocket Raccon showing up and saying they need him? How about Thor coming down asking for Jane Foster? How about Ant-Man in Stark Industries trying to discover some files about the Avengers.... Any of these would have been better than the Banner ending!!!

Lastly, Stop ripping off Christopher Nolan ideas, Shane Black! Why did you need to wrap the movies like Nolan did with Batman!? Poor Joss has got to be like WTF.... That formula worked once and it should only work once for Nolan. Don't bite or copy his formula. Do something different... come on!!

Marvel... you could have done a lot more!

I would have made Pepper into Rescue (Before or after she got hurt). Rescue, War Machine, and Tony.... Fight the Mandarin at the end. The Extremis soldiers would have foot soldiers. How about Introduce the liquid armor!!?

Any of these ideas could have worked better!

Shame on you Marvel Studios... Shame on you!

I couldn't agree more. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

I would've liked it had it not been handled so sloppily. The reveal was much too soon and the humor felt so forced and over the top, even for an Iron Man movie. The "humor" detracted from the actual awesomeness of the idea, which is brilliant in of itself and would work. This whole moment reminded me of Talia being the brains behind the operation in TDKR and Brave's ruining of emotionally significant moments with humor. All in all, this was a huge letdown for me. A good friend of mine said the whole terrorist angle felt really dated and I agreed with him on that point, but he said he couldn't be too harsh on the movie because you go into it not expecting too much out of it.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It could means that The Real Chinese Mandarin is still out there somewhere right?? I hope Marvel studio can gives us some serious explanation in Iron Man 4 or 5...

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goddamnironman: I kind of hope there isn't an iron man 5. I'm on the fence about a 4. As much as I liked all three of these, they run the risk of ruining the series reputation each time there's a sequel beyond 3.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I shouldn't say this because I've never read a single Mandarin appearance, but I thought the change in the movie was great. It didn't really make a difference to me, especially since Kingsley was hilarious!

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EscGamer

Who's to say he won't comeback as a villian, I'm sure Tony will turn the extremis into his armor in Avengers 2 and I'm sure that Ben Kingsley will return, the Mandarin doesn't go down that easily, he is gonna want his luxuries back after all. Over all though it was a great movie I must say, I enjoyed myself and least we forget this is a different universe not the main 616 universe so I expect a few twists and differences. Don't forget people the Marvel Cineverse is expanding and isn't tied down to one film at all. They all connect to each other, remember Loki and the way his story played in Thor but expanded into the entire Marvel Cineverse. We just need the Fantastic Four, X-men, Spider-Man, and all the others now. Could've been worst, it could've been Ultimatum

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure it was disrespectful to the character, but I'm okay with that. Overall I think it helped the movie.

I'm also now just considering Killian to be the true Manadarin. After all, he had super strength, super smarts, breathed fire and had dragon tattooes.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a letdown. I was expecting the Mandarin and I got Guy Pearce breathing fire instead. This movie...I just don't get it.

Ama_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a very unexpected and amusing plot twist. I feel like the Mandarin very, very easily could've come across as silly to the general public who hasn't read the Iron Man comics, and let's face it: the general public brings the big box office profits. Some characters just don't translate into mainstream spotlight very well, so I was ok with it overall. I was far more disappointed that Pepper didn't get her Rescue suit than I was irked by the Mandarin. Still, I loved the movie and enjoyed the character development that was seen in Tony this film.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

@goddamnironman: I kind of hope there isn't an iron man 5. I'm on the fence about a 4. As much as I liked all three of these, they run the risk of ruining the series reputation each time there's a sequel beyond 3.

erm,.... a spin off maybe??

Ama_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Iron Patriot thing ruined the movie.

I wouldn't say that it ruined the movie. But, from the beginning, I was puzzled as to how they were going to do anything with him that would make sense without Osborn in the loop...

devil leonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I first want to see that Iron man 3 is not perfect but its a pretty damn good movie, at bare minimum a much better films then 2 will ever be not sure about 1 though. IM3 is especially good if you know nothing about the books. But if you do know a thing or 2, yeah they change somethings, but at times change can work and even be a Good thing. I will say what they did to the Mandarin it worked well actually within the confines of the story. But I felt cheated, sense Iron man 1 we have been waiting for the Mandarin to show up in all his glory! Sure hes needs a update badly being portrayed as Chinese stereotype , so update him making him extreme Eco terrorist , or a Fringe scientist being the opposite of Tony Stark. I'm sure they could have figured something out that honors the character.

Or better yet maybe the best thing to do is just not to use the Mandarin at all! Use someone else like Basil Sandhurst (and I know hes gonna be used for Guardians of the Galaxy, hell maybe even better to use him hear!), or some other member of AIM. if they were gonna do this to Iron mans greatest Villain why bother using him then??

jaytiz27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was quite smart on the bad guys side of things to create a fake bad guy to cover their mistakes. But I have never read any comics with him in so I don't know if they have completely ruined his character.

Any one like to let my know some good stories with the mandarin in please?

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I thought it was really funny... but...

(Fanboy)

As a fanboy of comics I hated the movie.

(Regular)

As a regular person i didn't like it cause it felt like a rehash of Ironman 2 ....

Basic idea of the movie, Has a cool suit gets damaged right away, keep fighting with it through out most of the movie until the epic battle using all his suits. (why he didn't use them right away I dunno)

Through and through I just hated the movie.. but it was funny.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when he was revealed as a joke/cheap actor I pretty much lost interest in the film, and by the time the long drawn-out end fight was on I was muttering, For god's sake just end!!, under my breath.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By roboadmiral

Whichever way you feel about it, it still borders on miraculous that they managed to keep it under wraps. Seriously, what were the odds that it wouldn't get leaked or get spoiled by a trailer that showed too much of its hand?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is, and Iron Man fans are going to hate me for saying this, Iron Man has no really great or iconic villains. None. Sure if you count Avengers villains, he comes off a lot better, but as far as his own Rogues Gallery, there are no A-Listers to speak of. Mandarin is the best villain he has (and even he is WELL BELOW the radar), so why totally waste the character?

With someone like say, Batman, with his really deep and dynamic and well-loved Rogues Gallery, you could take a big name villain and make them a joke or a fraud, and it wouldnt be so bad, because there'd always be another great villain to serve as a top threat. Now, you wouldnt want to do this with the Joker (proportionally speaking, the Mandarins equal), but if Bane was used as a muscle bound lackey for another big villain in an otherwise great movie, most people would be pretty ok with it, if a little agitated.

Avatar image for hollowdelusions
    hollowdelusions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't disagree that it's a good plot twist, but i was looking forward to a Mandarin Vs Ironman battle. And when it was revealed that Mandarin was just an ack-tor I felt like a deflating balloon. Couldn't they use somebody else besides one of Ironman's greatest foe?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

People are seriously mad about the Mandarin? He fooled you. Ben Kingsley fooled you and goshdarnit that's what he aimed to do....he fooled you in the promos and he fooled you until he got exposed. We're about to experience Thanos and the Gauntlet in the Avengers sequel...of course we're not gonna get power rings from the Mandarin, that'd be redundant and totally boring to non-comic reading audiences. The movie was funny, action packed and full of surprises. I don't feel like they really utilized the 3D tech to it's full potential and there was a visible lack of tie-in with any other Avenger solo movie save Thor...but the way they integrated Extremis and Mandarin and gave Pepper a chance to shine...I was immensley pleased.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

@jaytiz27: A good place to start reading about Mandarin would be the final 16 issues of Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction which just ended last year or the 'Haunted' story arc by Warren Ellis that was in the Iron Man volume before that.

Capn_Mal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to say I loved the Mandarin twist. Thought it was completely the right thing to do for the cinematic Marvel universe. However, I can also see it from the other perspective. In all the promotion for the movie it was suggested that the Mandarin was going to be the main antagonist. For me though, this completely worked. The movie felt the way it needed to after the Avengers. Just the right amount of witty Stark one liners :)

nicholai441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By nicholai441

there were a few things that I didn't really care for about the movie. the twist with the mandarin was... one thing I didn't care for. though I think it was something I had hoped for when ben kingsly was announced as the mandarin, I just hoped it was more ra's al ghoul-in-batman begins-ish. I just hoped it would turn out that the mandarin was actually a Chinese guy (IE: chow yong fat, Jackie chan, jet lee, etc.)

was it just me or did the mark 47 seem like the comic relief of the movie. most of the scenes the mark 47 was in was comedic. like the truck scene(after the rescue), the armor sitting on the couch(s), the "prodigal son" scene, the armoring up.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

we need a f**k ton of ointment here. STAT. people can't sit down! they're just hovering over chairs and stuff.

RoastedRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By RoastedRay

I thought the movie was pretty ok but that twist really made me angry. Plus I was excited that Marvel was going to put some less grounded stuff in a movie that wasn't Thor.

one4jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really surprised this many people liked that Mandarin. I thought the twist was handled well; I was slightly taken aback, and a little disappointed at first. Then it was fine and it made sense. Those videos he made were corny and come off as ridiculous in the context of trying to take them seriously. This isn't a villain as fundamental as the Joker or Green Goblin. How many good stories have been featured around the Mandarin? I want to know. What is his The Killing Joke, or really any remarkably memorable, stand out story?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ahhaaahahahahhahhaah +10000000000000000000000 internets for you

IMO I liked it. I saw it from a mile away, so it wasnt unexpected, but it fits the story and the overall trilogy. I also understand why they did it

and while I really wanted to see Mandarin in the big screen, for real, this Mandarin (before the twist) wasn't what I wanted or expected so I wasn't that sad that it turned out to be a fake.

so in general, I liked it, Iron Man 3 is a really good movie and one my personal favorites from MCU.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who doesn't read Iron Man or care about the Mandarin, I was fine with it.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Anyone who didn't think something was off with Mandarin when you reached the Roxxon Oil Company Leader "shooting" is pretty clueless, can't catch onto hints etc.

Am I the only one, who saw the signs? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

And there is potential for Mandarin to actually come in as himself in a later installment just so you know.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who didn't think something was off with Mandarin when you reached the Roxxon Oil Company Leader "shooting" is pretty clueless, can't catch onto hints etc.

Am I the only one, who saw the signs? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

And there is potential for Mandarin to actually come in as himself in a later installment just so you know.

As soon as he started talking I knew something was up. Once I got there is when I finally realized this was a huge disappointment.

Sveppi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Well, for starters the whole Mandarin reveal mirrors the way the movie was marketed, it ends up blindsiding both the viewer and the characters in the film. That plays into the entire concept of manipulating the media to your own means. It also works to explain the completely overly theatrical nature of the film's Mandarin, no terrorist would have such good production values on his threat videos. So, instead of being silly it becomes clever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.