Follow

Iron Man 3

Movie » Iron Man 3 released on April 25, 2013.

Iron Man 3, released on May 3, 2013 (USA). It stars Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and Sir Ben Kingsley.

Iron Man 3's Twist (Comic Book Question of the Week)

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Iron Man 3's Twist (Comic Book Question of the Week) (375 votes)

Brilliant and so hysterical. I loved it. 38%
    Honestly, I didn't care. 19%
    Disrespectful and such a letdown. I hated it. 42%

This week, we want to know how you feel about Iron Man 3's big twist with The Mandarin. If you haven't seen the film and don't want spoilers, why did you even click the thread? Come on!

• 
    TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I really didn't like it. What was the point of the Mandarin being in the film? Although it was pretty funny/

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can entirely understand why some fans hated the change, but personally I did not mind. It was not my most pressing complaint with the film. Within the context of the story, I actually thought it made sense and to be honest, the character of the Mandarin in the comics IS a sort of Chinese stereotype. I could see why Disney was hesitant to allow such a portrayal, considering that character could be viewed as racist in today's world from China's perspective. I did enjoy the film and the twist was both interesting and unexpected in my opinion.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Curse you and your extreme phrasing!

I didn't like it, and finding out afterwards how it sort of spat on Iron Man fans, it's pretty aggravating. But I didn't hate it because I had no personal investment in it; I just thought the film was less interesting for it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

There, in the theater, I thought it was hilarious though deep down I found it kind of offensive. Why have this exciting trailer and all the posters of the Mandarin and then, well... (I won't spoil) I left the theater happy except for that little thing.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Emperormeister734

Overall not what I expected, the trailers had me fooled. He looked Badass, talked in a Badass way, but was not the Badass. This movie gave me a complete shocker.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

My initial reaction was disappointment but I found that by the time the movie ended I had accepted the twist. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the action was incredible. It is one of those movies that has grown on me the more I think about it.

Sveppi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. Unexpected and works on several different levels.

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hassun

The Mandarin is and has always been an absolutely terrible character. This was a great twist, I saw it coming but I applaud them for taking it this direction.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I thought it was dumb and detracted from the plot, as it made sense when Mandarin simply hated America. But once the twist happened, suddenly the main villain was a dude that was just doing evil shit because he could, Aldridge was suddenly a villain who had zero purpose for doing what he was doing. I think this twist broke the plot...imo.

I chose the third option cause its closest to my feelings, but I didn't actually hate it. I actually thought it was quite funny and entertaining. Still a rather dumb twist though.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I liked it alot but that probabl mostly has to do with the fact that I couldnt care less about the Mandarin in the comics, or Iron Man comics in general. The movies have always been 100 times more interesting to me comparaed to the comics thanks to RDJ. Honestly Im not sure I would like the films if RDJ wansnt Tony Stark. Comepletley removing the comics from the equation though I still thought it was a great twist. Its cool that Killian essentially played the same trick on the audience that he did on the world in IM3.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I vote that I hated it again?

Yes, Kingsley did a good job with what he had to work with, you need another viewing to really appreciate what he was saying, but...HUGE kick in the gut on the twist

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@sveppi said:

Loved it. Unexpected and works on several different levels.

What are those several different levels?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I didn't care about the big twist, killian was a cool villain. Imagine how different the movie would be if Mandarin had to fight Tony at the end. It probably would have been lame

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

I was laughing very hard in the theater. It was hilarious. I could understand where some people will get mad, but that twist just had me roaring.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By theTimeStreamer
    fartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fartvader

As a new comic book fan, I didn't know about the Mandarin. So, I had to look for comics where he appeared so that I have a little idea who he is. He was a terrible character, I didn't like him but thought the film might have a different take on him that might change my views on him. The movie has a lot of moments that will have you smile, laugh and grin. The Mandarin reveal I guess was disrespectful to avid comic fans, to the creator of the character. His appearance in the film was solely for comedic purposes only which I think was not necessary considering many characters and moments are already fun.

sykoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the context of the movie universe laid out by Marvel Studios, the move was quite fitting and an interesting addition to the film series. However, since a huge number of fans have been eagerly awaiting the appearance of the Mandarin since the Ten Rings syndicate from the first film, you'd think that the studio wouldn't completely ruin an iconic villain in the manner they did. I understand that they are trying to, at this point, steer away from the overly mystical/alien elements, but with the upcoming slate of films, this would have been a perfect way to introduce those elements to the movie universe in a major franchise of the set without alienating a good portion of the fanbase. I do understand the thought that the Mandarin is highly un-PC for today's audience, especially with the growing number of Chinese moviegoers to potentially displease. Yet the better decision would have been to leave the character out completely, rather than risking the backlash of this decision. Those that haven't seen the film yet are already aware of the twist since it's being covered by multiple news sources, so any who would be willing to walk away from Marvel's future films will do so without giving the movie a chance.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was hysterical but still hated what was done to the character. Guess there's only room for one supremo bad guy in the film, but it seems the Mandarin could've been the ultimate one, but the way the plot went Aldritch AIM guy seems to fit better I guess.

vincethekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By vincethekid

Simple question, You have Sir Ben Kingsley one the best actors of our time... why not use him to his fullest potential? He's an amazing actor. He could have been Heath Ledger quality or better!?? Mandarin and the 10 rings could have been one of sinister villains of all time!

Here's a few thing that hurt me and a lot of the fans the MOST:

One, Marvel Studios made this... Not Fox, Sony, etc. They approve this this piece of crap!? They're so many loose ends I don't know where to start. I think what happen is.... they played with the formula and they shouldn't have. It worked before.... why change it? Now, they're gonna pay the price. Fans now might be a little skeptical about the next Marvel movies.

Two, John Favreau should have directed this movie. Period. It just didn't have the pop of the first two films. It didn't have the same tone. The jokes didn't work like the first two movies.... it had some great moments with the kid but, even the Rhodey moments seem weak. He was a background character with no real context for the story. The pacing, the sloppy special effects, not using Mandarin right.... everything about this movie seemed rushed!!

Three, The whole point of the end credits... is to push for the next Marvel movies... leading us to Avengers 2. Why Banner? How about Tony builds a suit... and heads for space? How about Rocket Raccon showing up and saying they need him? How about Thor coming down asking for Jane Foster? How about Ant-Man in Stark Industries trying to discover some files about the Avengers.... Any of these would have been better than the Banner ending!!!

Lastly, Stop ripping off Christopher Nolan ideas, Shane Black! Why did you need to wrap the movies like Nolan did with Batman!? Poor Joss has got to be like WTF.... That formula worked once and it should only work once for Nolan. Don't bite or copy his formula. Do something different... come on!!

Marvel... you could have done a lot more!

I would have made Pepper into Rescue (Before or after she got hurt). Rescue, War Machine, and Tony.... Fight the Mandarin at the end. The Extremis soldiers would have foot soldiers. How about Introduce the liquid armor!!?

Any of these ideas could have worked better!

Shame on you Marvel Studios... Shame on you!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

I need an option that says: "It bothered me at first but now I can live with it."

Drummer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Drummer007

I didn't like it at first but made since for the plot.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Jenkale

i dont see what this "stereotype" they are talking about. even if in the past had all of the negative stereotypes its 2013 not 1960s. characters change over time and so has the mandarin. the mandarin i always think of when i think of the character is the way he was protrayed in acts of vengeance. but other than being super smart i dont really know of any stereotypes against chinese

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was a let down for me personally. Wasn't a "bad" movie per se ... and maybe expectations are a tad high as it did have its fun moments. But I didn't enjoy it all that much and really didn't like the plot "twist" in question. Was good for a chuckle, but was definitely a let down overall.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KnightRise

It didn't ruin the film nor did it totally belittle the character's legacy. That being said, a legitimate Mandarin would been a better villianous role than Aldritch Killian. Had I done the film, I would have had the actor part be a cover and have Mandarin kill Killian and take his army. Like an actual terrorist posing as an actor helping a terrorist by posing as a terrorist (Terrorception). Double twist. Boom. Trevor Slattery could still return with his Mandarin persona dominant, or better yet the phenomenal Sir Ben Kingsley could play the real Mandarin. Slattery mentioned that Killian provided him with plastic surgery. Maybe the real Mandarin is out there somewhere plotting.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#27  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I can entirely understand why some fans hated the change, but personally I did not mind. It was not my most pressing complaint with the film. Within the context of the story, I actually thought it made sense and to be honest, the character of the Mandarin in the comics IS a sort of Chinese stereotype. I could see why Disney was hesitant to allow such a portrayal, considering that character could be viewed as racist in today's world from China's perspective. I did enjoy the film and the twist was both interesting and unexpected in my opinion.

this.

I personally didn't care though I did find it funny. I had somewhat of a reaction between didn't care and positive reaction.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought it was really lame. Was expecting something a lot cooler. I didn't even think it was all that funny either. I found the whole "I'm a goofy actor with plenty of women at my disposal" quite annoying. It just went on too long and felt forced. I remember like after the part where he goes "OLE, OLE, OLE, OLE!" no one in my theater would laugh at any joke. Actually some people left because they were annoyed by it.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

I'll admit I didn't see it coming, but surprise is not the same thing as good screenwriting. M. Night Shamalan has been giving us empty twists for years, it doesn't mean anything. If they really wanted this twist in the story there was a way to do this that would not only have been respectful to the source material, but also shocking. What we got was neither of those. But be clear the Mandarin twist isn't even near the top of the list for my criticisms of the movie.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Simple question, You have Sir Ben Kingsley one the best actors of our time... why not use him to his fullest potential? He's an amazing actor. He could have been Heath Ledger quality or better!?? Mandarin and the 10 rings could have been one of sinister villains of all time!

One, Marvel Studios made this... Not Fox, Sony, etc. They approve this this piece of crap!? They're so many loose ends I don't know where to start. I think what happen is.... they played with the formula and they shouldn't have. It worked before.... why change it? Now, they're gonna pay the price. Fans now might be a little skeptical about the next Marvel movies.

Two, John Favreau should have directed this movie. Period. It just didn't have the pop of the first two films. It didn't have the same tone. The jokes didn't work like the first two movies.... it had some great moments with the kid but, even the Rhodey moments seem weak. He was a background character with no real context for the story. The pacing, the sloppy special effects, not using Mandarin right.... everything about this movie seemed rushed!!

Three, The whole point of the end credits... is to push for the next Marvel movies... leading us to Avengers 2. Why Banner? How about Tony builds a suit... and heads for space? How about Rocket Raccon showing up and saying they need him? How about Thor coming down asking for Jane Foster? How about Ant-Man in Stark Industries trying to discover some files about the Avengers.... Any of these would have been better than the Banner ending!!!

Lastly, Stop ripping off Christopher Nolan ideas, Shane Black! Why did you need to wrap the movies like Nolan did with Batman!? Poor Joss has got to be like WTF.... That formula worked once and it should only work once for Nolan. Don't bite or copy his formula. Do something different... come on!!

I would have made Pepper into Rescue (Before or after she got hurt). Rescue, War Machine, and Tony.... Fight the Mandarin at the end. The Extremis soldiers would have foot soldiers. How about Introduce the liquid armor!!?

I agree with every thing you said. The only thing is I loved Rhodey's dialog. I thought had it been longer the part where he fights Savin outside the armor could have been awesome.

Loading Video...

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Although somewhat disappointing, I found it pretty funny. I feel like they left it open enough to where they could still include the real Mandarin in future films if they wanted to. So I don't really mind it.

daltonmunnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daltonmunnal

While it's disappointing that we will never see a proper Mandarin in the universe (especially when Kingsley was doing so good at it), ultimately, it worked for the film. I laughed, it surprised me, and Aldrich "Mandarin" Killian turned out to be a way more awesome villain than I could have expected.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#33  Edited By Outside_85

It would have been better if it hadn't been a funny version of what the DKR did.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By Rixec

The fans are always gonna bitch about these changes but I thought it was brilliant! I mean, the way it was done was perfect for the Iron Man films. Just like how villains like Ra's Al Ghul were done in Nolan's Batman. The true Mandarin was great.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

disrespectful to the source........ riiiight. because the mandarin so much respect in the 616 MU.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

Personally, I loved the plot twist. The Mandarin has always seemed like an outdated character to me anyway. I'm sure they could have updated his character to make it more relevant or less of a caricature (and maybe they have in the comics, idk as I've mostly read older Iron Man comics), but I thought what they did in the film worked really well, basically having the head of A.I.M. be the real Mandarin. I'm pretty sure Iron Man 3 is my favorite of the three solo Iron Man movies, with the first one being a close second.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

lol at the butthurt fans.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Mandarin would admittedly be hard to translate into a realistic(ish) film so I can see the logic. But his rings would've made a really cool battle. The thing that I didn't like was that after Mandarin was exposed, everyone else still just seemed like henchmen, even Aldrich

This is not to say, however, that I didn't like Iron Man 3

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This.

But truthfully It's a mix of A and B. I didn't really mind the twist, and I found it funny. It wasn't "brilliant" though, but pretty comedic. I'm not a Mandarin fan anyways, so I didn't really care for the twist. Killian was a pretty good villain anyways.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By M3th

I loved the twist I literally laughed out loud. Also loves seeing all those beautiful women.

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Couldn't agree more.

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Frobin

For me, but also in a more generally and reasonable perspectiv, Iron Man 3 is the worst superhero movie and one of the most annoying comic book adaptations since ... well, since 60s Batman TV show, I guess. Yeah, I know ... this show is very popular and many love it: retrospective. But it made a joke of the character and the superhero genre, it was satire ... and besides that's the reason the 1989 Batman movie bei Tim Burton and even more the Chris Nolan trilogy has been such a success: Because it portrayed the character much more in the spirit of the comic book and took itself and the character more seriously.

IRON MAN goes MICKEY MOUSE!

In the first Iron Man movie and even more in the Avengers movie we've seen how funny AND cool Tony Stark / Iron Man can be as a movie character. BUT with Iron Man 3 we've seen just a senseless plot, in fact no real story to tell. The movie turns the character into Disney kids comedy, the fun is mainly childish irony (not the cool sarcasm of the Tony Stark seen in the Avengers movie) . Funny moments, but just for cheap laughter.

Disappointing and annoying for comic book readers, but even meaningless for movie goers. But (of course) amazing MARKETING - since (after seeing the trailers) I really was looking forward to another great Marvel movie.

The MANDARIN TWIST and EXTREMIS

I admit that the Mandarin twist made me laugh ... but just for a moment and for what? Even before the twist I considered the Mandarin not very well portrayed (with the exception of his personal look ... his terror organisation was way to much islamic fundamentalist designed). It wouldn't be a problem to portray the Mandarin without the stereotypes of the comic book characters ... just as a Chinese genius, not a terrorist, more a behind the scenes super crime godfather ... or Tony Stark's Chinese counterpart, but with much more ambitions to take over control. But then the Mandarin is a joke and Aldrich Killian is the Mandarin. Besides: Can anybody explain the plot? Why Killian wants to kill the president ... and of course, his issues with Tony are all about a girl and humiliation. A boy's fight (again). So cheap!

And Extremis ... it has NOTHING to do with the Extremis of the comic book. However, wouldn't be a problem ... if it would make sense at all ... in the movie. But it doesn't ... Extremis is the next step of human evolution? It genetically converts humans into some sort of dragons or human torches? Spitting fire and these cheap CGI of glowing heat beneath the skin ... come on ... that's the next level of human evolution. WHAT's about a plot that makes SENSE?!

Failed adaptation for the movie

Besides the movie is totally senseless even for movie goers who doesn't read the comic book. Most of all this movie is really annoying IF YOU ARE A FANBOY! Do you know why GAME OF THRONES or The Walking Dead are such a big success? Because (so far) both shows did pretty well in adapting the books and comics into TV. The Walking Dead showed that you can - and even should - make adaptations to comic book characters.

BUT imagine you read Game of Thrones ... you know the Kingslayer ... but then in the TV show it would be someone completely different than Jaime Lannister. But called Kingslayer ... just for the fans to have some recognition value. And then you have The Wall ... but it's something completely different than the wall in the books. Wouldn't fans be annoyed ... feel a bit played for a sucker?

Why calling something Extremis in the movie that have nothing in common with Extremis? Such a waste. Why using a great villain's name just to make a joke out of the character. As I said before ... Iron Man can be FUNNY and COOL as seen in Avengers. Adaptation means NOT using keywords for stupid fanboys to please them ... it means changing some things for the better to fit the medium or the times or the target group or whatever, BUT saving the spirit and the core of the character ... maybe changing the plot, but telling the same story. That didn't happen here.

And what's about the boy sidekick ... a little bit Disney family entertainment? Meaningless action without a plot, cheap laughter and cheap CGI, childish irony and a movie which doesn't know what it wants to be: a satire of Iron Man, a joke ... or a movie taking the character seriously (which doesn't exclude fun and irony).

EPIC FAIL! Such a downfall. Iron Man goes 60s Batman!

If that's what Disney is doing to Marvel ... the dark side took over! :(

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrible.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I'm not such a big fan of the Mandarin,so I honestly didn't care much.It was interesting and I knew that something like that would happen.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It was the only thing in the movie that pissed me off! They should've just not put the Mandarin in the movie. If they wanted to keep things as they were, then they could've taken away his rings and not called him Mandarin. Problem solved.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@noj said:

I liked it alot but that probabl mostly has to do with the fact that I couldnt care less about the Mandarin in the comics, or Iron Man comics in general. The movies have always been 100 times more interesting to me comparaed to the comics thanks to RDJ. Honestly Im not sure I would like the films if RDJ wansnt Tony Stark. Comepletley removing the comics from the equation though I still thought it was a great twist. Its cool that Killian essentially played the same trick on the audience that he did on the world in IM3.

Absolutely, positively this. I could care less for Iron Man comic wise, I never found the issues to be that interesting, thus I have no emotional attachment to Mandarin, so I didn't really mind the change at all. RDJ is what makes me go to the movies.

In a slightly unrelated note, I have notice that characters that aren't really that popular suddenly have fans pop up when they are changed. For instance, before the New 52, I heard nothing but hate for Stephanie Brown, and heard...nothing at all for Cassandra Cain, but now that they're M.I.A, their fan clubs suddenly make themselves known? Same for Damian Wayne, people HATED him for most of his career as Robin, but now that he's dead, people are ready to riot...pfft, guess comic fans will rebel against anything (as long as it's changing)

Azura_Thena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the movie was great. Easily the best of the three Iron Man movies.

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kiltro95

To be honest I wasn't expecting it and I was hoping they'd do something involving the ten rings making the Mandarin the over arcing villian of the the films. Then I saw this laughed my ass off got depressed, then remembered none of the Iron Man movies were all action if anything their comedies. But either way overall I liked it.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I thought it was funny, but ultimately I was expecting more than just a cheap joke.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.