Follow

Invincible

Character » Invincible appears in 444 issues.

Girls, acne, homework and supervillains. When you're a teenager it pays to be - Invincible. Mark Grayson is the hero Invincible, whom is a Viltrumite/Human hybrid. Mark is one of the greatest heroes on Earth and is the son of Omni-Man. The new emperor of the Viltrum empire is a true hero to the very end.

Kirkman's 'Invincible': An Analysis of Gore

• 131 results
    BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @Vitality said:

I have every Invincible issue...no need to post screens...I'll know what you think you're talking about.

You also said it was his hand.

His robotic arm was never tested during the fight up till that point. It had never taken a direct blow up until that point. Also...that's right when Mark loses it and goes all out.

As far as my typing style...I have no idea...I only put one space in between each line...not sure why it shows up the way it does.

Not everyone does, I also figured that if I'm going to be wrong, I'm also going to show everyone why and how I'm wrong.  That said, it actually was tested, he used it to hold Mark still in one panel, I'm still interested in what it's made of, who made it, and where it was made. Because normal objects should shatter like glass when trying to hold someone like Mark still, even if it's only for a second, plus Mark still totally broke his arm shattering it.

Their defenses seem to peter out really fast, it's not like other characters who can take a certain level of punch all day long without effects, higher powered strikes only leave bruises, and going even higher leaving ever increasing amounts of damage, but never suddenly causes an eruption of blood from the same strike that didn't do anything earlier. Having punched a lot of things, and been punched a lot, it's usually somewhere in the middle, enough strikes that cause bruises will draw blood, eventually, and it won't be very much. Their defenses are anemic. Slamming Mark through a battleship didn't cause him to bleed, but that ground sure did. Which... is frankly another call back to Dragon Ball Z.

I think you have double spacing turned on. You could just not add spaces to your post.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Vitality
    @BlueStarr86 said:

"
    Slamming Mark through a battleship didn't cause him to bleed, but that ground sure did. Which... is frankly another call back to Dragon Ball Z.I think you have double spacing turned on. You could just not add spaces to your post.

"

I'm not sure what you're talking about or what point you're trying to make. First blood is drawn when Conquest punches Mark. It gets worse from there. When he smashes him through the battleship...Marks face is covered in blood...and where does Mark start bleeding just from being slammed into the ground?

Also...his "robotic" arm is clearly not a normal object. He got it when he was on Viltrum

Something tells me you're arguing just to argue.

BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @Vitality said:
    " @BlueStarr86 said:

"
    Slamming Mark through a battleship didn't cause him to bleed, but that ground sure did. Which... is frankly another call back to Dragon Ball Z.I think you have double spacing turned on. You could just not add spaces to your post.        

"

I'm not sure what you're talking about or what point you're trying to make. First blood is drawn when Conquest punches Mark. It gets worse from there. When he smashes him through the battleship...Marks face is covered in blood...and where does Mark start bleeding just from being slammed into the ground?

Also...his "robotic" arm is clearly not a normal object. He got it when he was on Viltrum

Something tells me you're arguing just to argue.

"
    I'm trying to discuss here, it's different from arguing, because it's less hostile. When I was looking at the pictures of Mark being slammed through the battleship, he wasn't bleeding, when his face went through the ground, suddenly he was bleeding.... here's another thought: if they were moving as fast as they appear to be, the blood shouldn't accumulate on them, because the air should be pushing it off of them. What I would argue, if anything, is that a lot of the fights don't make sense, people bleed too fast in them, and none of them actually do any damage to themselves just by moving. Mostly I would be arguing that the Viltrumites are kind of pussies and the gore is entirely unnecessary, you could get it across that these people are wicked powerful, without making meat puppets out of the nameless characters. I'm going to continue calling it fetishistic, because when the comics aren't pressing other (XTREEEEME!) hot button issues (abortion), it's all about the blood explosions, pretty much the only people who are going to appreciate that are teenagers, and people who get off to gore.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Vitality

@BlueStarr86: 
    Good point on this being a discussion and not an argument.

I have the issues right in front of me.

There is only one pic of him going through the battleship...and Mark indeed has blood on his face.

As far as the amount of blood shown...it's definitely over the top.

I wouldn't call it fetishistic. It's really not in every issue. It's just shown during the most important times and the most important fights.

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By iloverobots

The art of Invincible is what got me into it in the first place. I bought the first couple of trades when the 3rd one came out after seeing screenshots online and reading a bit about it, but I wasn't that interested in the story in the first place. Obviously I realized, after reading them, that Kirkman's story was amazing, but Ottley's art was my first impression of the series.

I love the fact that it's drawn like an homage to more "cartoony" comics but at the same time displays incredible violence. It's such a great contrast and works perfectly with the story, and as it's been mentioned in the article, Kirkman doesn't overdo it. I think Chew is another series where the art style is a bit more cartoony but sometimes gets pretty gruesome.
    BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @Vitality said:
    "

@BlueStarr86: 
    Good point on this being a discussion and not an argument.

I have the issues right in front of me.

There is only one pic of him going through the battleship...and Mark indeed has blood on his face.

As far as the amount of blood shown...it's definitely over the top.

I wouldn't call it fetishistic. It's really not in every issue. It's just shown during the most important times and the most important fights."

Right... if any of us lost the amount of blood that's just on Mark's face we'd be unconscious, unless one of us happened to have the blood disease John McClain has, yes there is a logical reason for him not having issues with bleeding so much, his body produces 2-3 pints of blood more than it actually needs. That's a real disease. I can't recall what it's name is, but you can wikipedia it.

While it's not in every issue, it's in it enough to be rather bothersome, also after the first couple of abattoirs, you just don't care about it any more. When it's not doing gore, the comic does teenage drama. I'm not sure what to make of the drama, when I grew up I never had that many problems. It's like Mark has his own magical drama fairy.... or maybe he is his own magical drama fairy, either way it's truly ridiculous. The comic says mature readers, but I can't think of a single truly mature reader who would actually enjoy it at this stage. No offense to people who do enjoy it, I just don't know anyone personally who I consider mature, that would also enjoy it.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Vitality

@BlueStarr86: 
    Well I wanted to continue with our discussion...but you calling the readers of Invincible immature, when I'm here trying to have a mature discussion with you, draws the line for me.

So I will end it with this...I personally believe Invincible is the best series out.

If you don't care for it...that's fine.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#108  Edited By InnerVenom123

I love how people say "No offense, but..." before saying something really offensive. :P

BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @Vitality said:
    "

@BlueStarr86: 
    Well I wanted to continue with our discussion...but you calling the readers of Invincible immature, when I'm here trying to have a mature discussion with you, draws the line for me.

I personally believe Invincible is the best series out.

If you don't care for it...that's fine."

Urgh.... that was precisely what I was trying to avoid. I was just saying that I don't know anyone, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I only know maybe 200 people, that's not even enough to make a proper statistic, unless you are looking at a very small, very specific picture. Which given that Invincible sells well over 10,000 issues (I have no idea, I haven't looked up how much it sells), 200 is not going to cover a proper statistic of 10,000 people.  A big portion of it is that I don't know anyone that even picks it up, yet I know my local store sells it very well, the few people I do know who used to pick it up, dropped it for the exact reasons I'm stating.

I suppose next time I'll bold, italicize, and underline the part where I might offend people.
    Vincent92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Vincent92

invincible is  one of my favorites because it is very realistic when it comes down to a fight, and not many heroes on earth can handle viltramites.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By skaarason

this is the best comic ever !!!!!

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112  Edited By mark5
    @skaarason said:
    " this is the best comic ever !!!!! "
    i agree, i get so squirmish when i see Omni-man fighting especially in the viltrumite war, it makes reminds me that any second now a blow could pass straight through his body or rip off his head.He is my favorite character.  its a great level of suspense which you own't find in X-men or Superman or Avenger titles.

@BlueStarr86: 
    -___-
    this is a comicbook, people are flying for crying out loud. and besides if you take a tank and smash it into a wall the wall is gonna be much more damaged than the tanks, its more durable. I guess invincible's head id just more durable. 

BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @mark5 said:
    @BlueStarr86: 
    -___-
    this is a comicbook, people are flying for crying out loud. and besides if you take a tank and smash it into a wall the wall is gonna be much more damaged than the tanks, its more durable. I guess invincible's head id just more durable. 

"
    I know, that's what I was trying to state. A lot of people here seem to be proclaiming it to be incredibly realistic, when it's not.
    mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By mark5
    @BlueStarr86 said:
    " @mark5 said:
    @BlueStarr86: 
    -___-

"
    I know, that's what I was trying to state. A lot of people here seem to be proclaiming it to be incredibly realistic, when it's not. "
    well it is realistic in the blood and gore, notice how captain marvel never bloodies up superman much when he punches him or superman never gets a black eye or bruised lip when getting handle by the like. Same with most superhero vs superhero fight. It's realistic in that regard. it averts the usual "everyone is alright" or the "neighborhood is alright" trophes in comics where after huge worldwide event people on earth seem to have things back to normal in the next issue or spider man gets all patched up in the next issue. After Invincible war it really shows what someone like superman or BA or Captain Atom could do if they went on a rampage. Better yet for the next 10-12 issues the world's hero's are either in hospital or helping fix up with world's destroyed cities. 

Good stuff, i sick of those trophes so thats why i like it. 
    BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @mark5 said:
    " @BlueStarr86 said:
    " @mark5 said:
    @BlueStarr86: 
    -___-

"
    I know, that's what I was trying to state. A lot of people here seem to be proclaiming it to be incredibly realistic, when it's not. "
    well it is realistic in the blood and gore, notice how captain marvel never bloodies up superman much when he punches him or superman never gets a black eye or bruised lip when getting handle by the like. Same with most superhero vs superhero fight. It's realistic in that regard. it averts the usual "everyone is alright" or the "neighborhood is alright" trophes in comics where after huge worldwide event people on earth seem to have things back to normal in the next issue or spider man gets all patched up in the next issue. After Invincible war it really shows what someone like superman or BA or Captain Atom could do if they went on a rampage. Better yet for the next 10-12 issues the world's hero's are either in hospital or helping fix up with world's destroyed cities. 

"
    Not always, one of the very best issues of Superman had him getting mauled pretty badly. Read Action Comics #775 "What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" That issue basically states everything I could ever state about this. I'm with Superman on this by the way.

Also: you are obviously reading different books than me, because Bloodhaven is still a radioactive wasteland, Coast City was turned into a crater until a bunch of heroes showed up and fixed it, there have been entire planets destroyed, and most of these locations have stayed destroyed.
    mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By mark5
    @BlueStarr86 said:
    " @mark5 said:
    " @BlueStarr86 said:
    " @mark5 said:
    @BlueStarr86: 
    -___-

"

"
    Not always, one of the very best issues of Superman had him getting mauled pretty badly. Read Action Comics #775 "What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" That issue basically states everything I could ever state about this. I'm with Superman on this by the way. Also: you are obviously reading different books than me, because Bloodhaven is still a radioactive wasteland, Coast City was turned into a crater until a bunch of heroes showed up and fixed it, there have been entire planets destroyed, and most of these locations have stayed destroyed. "
    O.o ok damn forgot about some places like that in comics.But in general i mean a Major WORLDWIDE crisis (like WW3 or bigger) not a city wide one, and besides coastal city getting destroyed was just an excuse for zero hour basically. 
    Whats so good about #775? 
    BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @mark5 said:
    O.o ok damn forgot about some places like that in comics.But in general i mean a Major WORLDWIDE crisis (like WW3 or bigger) not a city wide one, and besides coastal city getting destroyed was just an excuse for zero hour basically. 
    Whats so good about #775? 
    "
    There's more to it than that, I'm sure if DC could have blown up Earth, they would have by now. Sadly they set everything else in the setting so that the universe would collapse if you destroyed Earth.

Basically everything. A team of anti-heroes, called The Elite, show up, pretty much kill all of their opponents, and don't even bother to clean up the messes they make. This includes a 100+ meter tall cyborg gorilla and the army that was fighting it. According to the experts working for President Luthor, The Elite are way more powerful than Superman, and he's kind of  right. Naturally, Superman takes exception to The Elite, because he doesn't like heroes who kill. I'm not going to say any more, because I think you should read it yourself.
    spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#118  Edited By spystreak

you edited the best part DAMIT I'm giving this a frowny face
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DH69

showing unbelievable gory things in comics is fine =D, but if you show one nipple I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN :p

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Om1kron
    @Vitality said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    "
    while I have only read volume 6 of the hard covers, I would like to kindly thank you for spoiling any future volums I'm ordering by posting these. But to answer the OP's question. Invincible gets retarded gory going forward. 
    DanyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By DanyBoy
    @BlueStarr86:@BlueStarr86 said:
    " @Caligula said:
    Sorry but if Superman really punched someone, it would look much like Invincible.And who are you to tell the rest of the world what is acceptable for them? "
    Have you never pulled a punch before? Seriously, the entire reason Superman doesn't smear people across the landscape every time he swings his fist is because he pulls his punch. Much in the same way people do naturally. You don't really notice it, but everyone is significantly stronger than they think they are. The reason behind this is because your body puts limits on you so you don't damage yourself unless it's an emergency. I'm saying that it isn't acceptable in that the books don't come in wraps, because a child could just walk into a store open one of these up, or bring one home to mom and dad, then suddenly we are dealing with freaked out parents. I seriously don't want to deal with parents, you can, but I'm not going to. They also don't come with warning stickers, which they should. If Empowered has to come in a wrap with a sticker, Invincible should really come in a wrap with a sticker. "
    BlueStarr86, you made me sign up with this quote !
    Are you serious ??? Where does that come from ? Really ?
    Let me ask YOU, have you ever pulled a punch ??? Of course you go full weight !
    Then, for the topic, I think the thing that bother people is the fact that we are right in the event (well, it just finished last month), and it was a 7 or so floppies. But when you look from the beginning of the serie, it's just a tiny part of what Invincible is. I think at the end of the year we would be sucked in again in the Invincible we all like.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#122  Edited By Primmaster64
    @DH69 said:
    "

showing unbelievable gory things in comics is fine =D, but if you show one nipple I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN :p

"
    Sarcasm? XD
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#123  Edited By Loki9876

I don't mind gore in comics or videogames (i do in movies) if it doesn't affect the plot. It's like an action movie with a lot of explosions I don't mind the explosions  if it doesn't water down the story hhhhmmmmtransformershhhhmmmmmmmmm.
    So does it affect the story.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Vitality
    @Om1kron said:
    " @Vitality said:
    "

"
    while I have only read volume 6 of the hard covers, I would like to kindly thank you for spoiling any future volums I'm ordering by posting these. But to answer the OP's question. Invincible gets retarded gory going forward.  "

Please.

The description of this article tells the reader to expect Invincible spoilers.

So thank yourself for getting spoiled.

BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BlueStarr86
    @DanyBoy said:
    BlueStarr86, you made me sign up with this quote !Are you serious ??? Where does that come from ? Really ?Let me ask YOU, have you ever pulled a punch ??? Of course you go full weight !Then, for the topic, I think the thing that bother people is the fact that we are right in the event (well, it just finished last month), and it was a 7 or so floppies. But when you look from the beginning of the serie, it's just a tiny part of what Invincible is. I think at the end of the year we would be sucked in again in the Invincible we all like. "
    Yes, I've pulled most of my punches, because most of the punches I've thrown are at one of my best friends, in jest, and I don't want to actually hurt him. Yes, it still hurts him a little, but he deserves it because he's always doing the same thing to me, and if it was anyone else in the world we probably would have killed each other by now.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By DH69
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @DH69 said:
    "

"
    Sarcasm? XD "

pretty much =D
    J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By J1ml33

I love gory superhero comics ( there I said it ) and invincible is awesome too !) but I love the savage dragon even more just for being a little bit more strange and unpredictable .

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By thegreatfour

I started reading Invincible at my school and I loved it. When I got to the issue where Mark and his dad square off I was totally off guard for the bloodshed (I'd missed when the Guardians Of the Globe were slaughtered). After it one thing was going through my mind. The Immortal is kind of crap :P I like him , but he does seem to get his butt kicked a lot.

Anyways the gore doesn't disturb me, but seeing the characters I love likes that does get an emotional response from me. I was sad when Oliver brutally murdered the Mauler twins. They were my favourites!

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Vitality
    @thegreatfour said:
    "

I started reading Invincible at my school and I loved it. When I got to the issue where Mark and his dad square off I was totally off guard for the bloodshed (I'd missed when the Guardians Of the Globe were slaughtered). After it one thing was going through my mind. The Immortal is kind of crap :P I like him , but he does seem to get his butt kicked a lot.

Anyways the gore doesn't disturb me, but seeing the characters I love likes that does get an emotional response from me. I was sad when Oliver brutally murdered the Mauler twins. They were my favourites!

"

Yeah I liked the Mauler twins for their comic relief.
    mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By mark5
    @Vitality said:
    " @thegreatfour said:
    "

"
    Yeah I liked the Mauler twins for their comic relief. "
    I miss them!
    Mellosassymel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Mellosassymel

Invincible was always set up to be a violent series. Kirkman has said he wanted this series to be how he would write a violent superhero comic.

doomsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By doomsummers

I typically watch R rated movies and play nothing but M rated games, this is even too bloody for me.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By katanalauncher
    I like to post Kirkman's response 
    I like to post Kirkman's response 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.