shawn87's Invincible: The Facts Of Life #1 - Volume Five review

Avatar image for shawn87
  • shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

Teenage Turmoil

The Story:

Atom Eve decides she doesn't want to use her abilities to fight villains anymore. Instead, she wants to put her gifts to better use and decides to leave. Invincible starts college and quickly finds his life becoming more and more hectic. Problems with his girlfriend surface which eventually leads to Invincible deciding to tell Amber he's a superhero.

My Thoughts:

Writer Robert Kirkman continues to come up with fun and unpredictable scenarios for Invincible's character. This time he focuses on the problems the teenage superhero is dealing with. Invincible has started college, having girl problems, saving the world and trying to maintain a relationship with his mother. The big shocker in this volume was Invincible revealing his secret to his girlfriend Amber. While she sort of figured it out, Invincible knew he was going to have to come clean about it if he wanted to salvage his relationship.

I like how Kirkman continues to develop the relationship between Invincible and his mother. I can't help but feel her role will become more significant in the future. Right now I feel like Kirkman is just stirring the pot for something grand to spiral out.

This volume contains an issue revealing the origins of several characters on the Guardians Of The Globe. While the origins were short (some only one or two pages) it was fun to gain some insight to these characters backgrounds. I hope we continue to get more character development for some of these characters in the future.

The art is done by Ryan Ottley. I've stated before that I wish he would put a little more detail into his art. There are too many solid color backgrounds behind characters. I'd like to see him put more into his panels. I do think he's a perfect fit for this series and he is doing a great job. I enjoy the way he draws each character, I just wish he would add more into the backgrounds of his panels.

Overall another solid volume in the Invincible series. This is consistently a fun, enjoyable comic to read. You never know what's going to happen next. It's a comic series great for all ages and fans of the superhero genre.

Rating: 4/5