Follow

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Volume »

Focused on the aftermath of Metropolis' Nuclear annhilation at the hands of the Joker, this comic includes the battles between the DC Universes greatest characters.

Injustice: Gods Among Us #21

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

I know this is something that still eludes some people out there, but it's critical to remember INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US is an alternate universe. While it's understandable to be upset if your favorite character acts differently, it's important to recall this shouldn't be too shocking because it's not the same character at the end of the day. I say this because it is absolutely mandatory to keep in mind when it comes to Tom Taylor's latest chapter. So, if you're a Wonder Woman fan who's upset she's being much darker and more manipulative, I imagine you're going to freak out when reading this one. But, if you're being open-minded about this being an alternate reality and even the fact a character stated something is indeed "off" with Diana, then I think you're in for a real treat.

Taylor has managed to cover all kinds of strong emotions through the course of this series. He's left us speechless with great tragedies and made our faces hurt from laughing so much at the Harley Quinn/Green Arrow team-up. This chapter once again leaves me speechless with an incredibly bleak turn of events and then knocks my anticipation through the roof with the finale. Batman's forces take action against Clark's group, but that's quickly overshadowed by Taylor showing how complex this topic really is. Even if you're the most powerful man on Earth, can you really make every single nation a better place? That's the dilemma Diana faces this time and the conclusion left my jaw on the ground. Up until now, she has mostly nudged Clark down this path, but this latest turn of events is truly drastic, stunning and quite harsh.

What happens next has me stoked for the book's future thanks to the insurmountable amount of momentum building up. The first punch has been thrown, and as expected, you can't take on Superman's forces with a head-on assault. This is Batman we're dealing with -- one of the greatest tactical minds on the planet -- and currently, Taylor's crafting a plan worthy of the Dark Knight's potential. Sure, it requires a key character on his side, but he's still the one moving all of the pieces into place and I can only imagine what'll go down next.

Neil Googe brings a very rough and cartoonish style of art to the book. The facial expressions are quite exaggerated and sometimes they feel off to me, but when it comes to the big scene with Wonder Woman, it's a formidable set of panels and truly delivers on how fearsome the moment really is.

The Bad

As I said above, I have some gripes with the facial features when it comes to the art, but it's not nearly enough to take away from the experience.

The Verdict

At this point, it should be more than obvious who Batman's secret weapon is (*cough* Martian Manhunter*cough*) and I'm ridiculously excited to see where Taylor will take matters from here. If you've been following along or if you've been meaning to jump on board, this is absolutely a must read issue. Major developments are made when it comes to Wayne's actions against the Man of Steel and we get a disturbing look at who Wonder Woman truly is in this alternate universe. At just $0.99 per short chapter, you really have no good reason not to follow along if you're curious about the series.

Cjjb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ii understand this series is awesome but I really do believe it should end soon.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dondave

A good issue

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@cjjb95 said:

Ii understand this series is awesome but I really do believe it should end soon.

It'll never end muaahahahaahahahhahahaa.

Bruce_Kent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm I the only one who loves Superman and Wonder woman in this series. It's reverse frank miller Superman is awesome ,batman is the president's tool.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cjjb95 said:

I was under the impression that it's going to end after #25, so you got your wish. Are you happy? You monster.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are starting to get real interesting. I really don't like how the issues are so small though but I guess the fact that it comes out every week makes up for that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

The problem I have with these sort of tie in issues to games is that;

a) we know where they are going to end: the beginning of the game and that really spoils any excitement one might have had from reading it.

b) it is nearly always only about what Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, and personally I find that really boring because it just always seems to be a slightly different version of the same story of Lois dying and Superman loosing his cool. I would have been much more interested reading a story like this if it had been from the perspective of minor characters: how does it affect their world when someone like Superman goes ape?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That scene with Wonder Woman reminded me of The New Frontier.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cjjb95 said:

why?

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SNascimento

Wonder Woman as more of a bad guy is amazing. Such a shame the game didn't capture it as the comics do.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@cjjb95 said:

Why? It takes place five years before the game. There are a lot of developments which need to have happened between where we are and where the game is...I'd feel a bit ripped off not to see them occur, see what finally pushed some characters to make the drastic decisions we know they make.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose I should probably comment on the issue as well, though as almost invariably happens, Gregg and I are on the same page. The only bad thing I had to say about it was the weird faces. The two major "woah" moments -- with Diana and the very ending -- were really, really good. Definitely one of the best issues thus far...if you can stomach it.

a) we know where they are going to end: the beginning of the game and that really spoils any excitement one might have had from reading it.

b) it is nearly always only about what Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, and personally I find that really boring because it just always seems to be a slightly different version of the same story of Lois dying and Superman loosing his cool. I would have been much more interested reading a story like this if it had been from the perspective of minor characters: how does it affect their world when someone like Superman goes ape?

Have you actually been reading this comic? Because there have been plenty of perspectives from various characters. Recently there was a really cool one with Billy Batson/Shazam. Catwoman had a spotlight. The Flash issue was amazing. They've all touched on the fallout, the way these events are affecting common people.

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigboi100000

Good issue

DCDoll666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By DCDoll666

This was by far the worst issue..the worst comic I have ever read. The misandry was so blatant it couldn't be denied. How about making a comic that address the the rapes that women commit to school boys, how about making a comic addressing the false rapes that women commit. Women always want to play the victim but never want to be held accountable for the crimes they commit. They have a site that documents female sexual offenders and it's a pretty large site but "surprisingly" women rapist are rarely if ever covered by mainstream media..women are just as capable of rape,murder,violence as men. How about an issue where Superman crushes the skulls of women who lie about rape or women who rape underage school boys..

and it's funny how the author was trying to make it a point that all the problems of the world are caused by men, well last I checked it was men who made the modern world possible. Women have contributed very little other than to be incubators for future men.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

O.O

PymsEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any thoughts as to why we get weekly reviews on this, but wait for the printed issues of Adventures of Superman @k4tzm4n? I, for one, would prefer to see weeky reviews of Adventures of Superman as well.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@pymsego: I review this series every Tuesday because it's something I'm passionate about and have time for. I don't know if Mat or Tony are reading Adventures of Superman on a weekly basis or if they'd have time to add it to their already busy schedules. So, it's technically a question for @g_man or @inferiorego.

That said, I'd be willing to check out the series and, assuming I love it and it generates traffic, I'd be willing to start reviewing it on a regular basis, too.

PymsEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n I HIGHLY reccomend it. Best Superman in comics right now IMO.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@pymsego: Well, you'll be pleased to know this conversation has inspired me to purchase the first issue on ComiXology.

PymsEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PymsEgo

@k4tzm4nWould love to read your thoughts either here or on twitter when you're done.

Avatar image for nightcrawler358
    NightCrawler358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some awesome moments, but I to want the series to end soon, probably at 25?

And I've noticed weird art in some previous issues, but so many characters in this issue looked just plain bad! The colouring was great, It's just usually poor art isn't this distracting for me : /

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good review. I really hope we see what happens to Martian Manhunter and perhaps it'll segue into his introduction in the game itself.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I really really love these comics. The game's story is so much better with these added to its canon

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

I suppose I should probably comment on the issue as well, though as almost invariably happens, Gregg and I are on the same page. The only bad thing I had to say about it was the weird faces. The two major "woah" moments -- with Diana and the very ending -- were really, really good. Definitely one of the best issues thus far...if you can stomach it.

@outside_85 said:

Have you actually been reading this comic? Because there have been plenty of perspectives from various characters. Recently there was a really cool one with Billy Batson/Shazam. Catwoman had a spotlight. The Flash issue was amazing. They've all touched on the fallout, the way these events are affecting common people.

I have been reading a few issues and they were what I wrote they were.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Well you seem to have missed a great deal of what the series is. Selective exposure does not a good thesis make.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was by far the worst issue..the worst comic I have ever read. The misandry was so blatant it couldn't be denied. How about making a comic that address the the rapes that women commit to school boys, how about making a comic addressing the false rapes that women commit. Women always want to play the victim but never want to be held accountable for the crimes they commit. They have a site that documents female sexual offenders and it's a pretty large site but "surprisingly" women rapist are rarely if ever covered by mainstream media..women are just as capable of rape,murder,violence as men. How about an issue where Superman crushes the skulls of women who lie about rape or women who rape underage school boys..

and it's funny how the author was trying to make it a point that all the problems of the world are caused by men, well last I checked it was men who made the modern world possible. Women have contributed very little other than to be incubators for future men.

Congratulations, you win the award for "Most misogynistic comment on Comic Vine".

dcguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dcguy

That was the worst issue so far. It ruined WW and made her complete bad parody of herself. Her portrayal in this comic start to being similar as Frank Miller's Allstar Batman and Robin or even worse.

That badly rip off New Frontier scene is one of the worst thing I have ever seen in comic books. Where do I begin to explain how bad this scene is? It is a refugee kamp Tom (Taylor), didn't you know difference between refugee and captive . WW crushes a guys skull , that's terrible. WW lets women slaughter whitout taking into account the age of men which

guilty or not . Women killed all the men , okey now who protect them from enemy soldiers. And Superman

allowed this to happen. Tom (Taylor) please stop trying to make political satire , this is based on a fighting game just focus on fighting of characters not ruin them . I know this is an alternate universe but that Wonder Women thing is still unbearable.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcguy: You seem to be missing quite a few pretty important points. One of the most crucial is that, in the game (which is the universe this comic takes place in), the Wonder Woman we are seeing right now is a bad/twisted Wonder Woman. The game also has a real Wonder Woman, who shows up, kicks this one's butt, and tells her that she has totally corrupted what the Amazons are supposed to stand for. You are not supposed to accept this Diana. Even Diana doesn't accept this Diana.

Taylor is not just doing his own thing. The majority of this comic's biggest points were mandated from higher authorities. This is not him just trying to make a political satire. The whole game is a social commentary, and he's just the one they hired to write a comic that ties into that game.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: It's really brilliant if you think about it. This Wondie can be as bad as it gets and it's all ok!

And I have to say, evil Wondie is amazing. She would make one hell of a villain.

dcguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: "the Wonder Woman we are seeing right now is a bad/twisted Wonder Woman." That's the point , if you start villanizing a character you can't use her to give social comment. What is the message of that scene? Rape? Refugee problem? Child soldiers? None of them, just all of the security forces in the camp are rapist and they deserve to be slaughtered. If editorial mandate want social comment and political satire , make it better. First show refugee camp then show us an attack from their enemy . Show us dying women and kids then WW starts to rage and kills attackers. At least it is a righteous anger. Injustice Gods suppose to be Heroes start being authoritarian for greater good then turn bad not supposed to be heroes suddenly start being blood thirsty idiots. There is a good example for this thema in Justice League animated series episode Justice Lords.

"The whole game is a social commentary" , I'm not sure about that . It is a fighting game after all, nobody cares messages instead everybody care making combo.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcguy: The message of that scene is in keeping with the message of Injustice all around.

It is showing people the truth about going to extremes. So many people mock Batman for his no-kill policy, for believing in a legal system and a mental health system and letting lives be lost because those systems don't work properly. Here, finally, DC is allowing the alternative to be addressed. And the answer is: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It's true, some people are safer because the Joker is dead. But the other side of that coin is that people no longer trust Superman. Now some people are afraid. To police the world, Superman gives up being an idol, an icon of perfect good and never losing hope.

You are not supposed to think that "all the security forces are rapists and deserve to die." I think the fact that many good soldiers are being killed as she flies away is supposed to be chilling. You're not supposed to clap for that. You're supposed to say "dear god, Diana, how could you think that what you just did made things better? You ended one travesty just to create another one."

This is called "INjustice." It is the story of how bending or breaking rules in the name of justice actually, and ironically, creates an even more fearful and less just world than the one before. Ever horrible thing that happens in these books and through these characters simply vindicates why they don't act like this in the real DCU, why Batman shouldn't kill the Joker, why Wonder Woman does try to talk and negotiate rather than just fight.

In many ways this series gives readers exactly what they've asked for, and it turns out you really should be careful what you wish for, because you can't have a dead Joker without a criminal Superman.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@outside_85: Well you seem to have missed a great deal of what the series is. Selective exposure does not a good thesis make.

Perhaps, but it doesn't appear I am wrong either, judging by most of these reviews whats going on between the Trinity is all that really matters, everyone else is just following along.

stevencarver_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stevencarver_

I see that you enjoy being a sexist.

stevencarver_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love this series and this might not have been the best issue yet, but it set Wonder Woman apart from Superman (meaning, she isn't just the Lady Macbeth anymore) and it set up Batman's secret weapon, assuming Manhunter's personality remains the same in this alternate universe as it is in the main DCU. He's always seemed to be the kind of guy who would search for justice in the least bloody way possible, which isn't quite what Batman is like, but it definitely isn't what Superman is like in this story.

I'm very excited about the future of this story. I can't wait until it catches up to the game.

dcguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: That's exactly how this serie should be but it's barely succed it. Don't get me wrong this serie is really entertaining , I enjoyed most parts of all issues and that Hawkgirl trick is interesting plot element . But WW scene really bothered me, it doesn't make any sense , it's a "what the hell were they thinking" moment for me.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcguy said:

@akbogert: That's exactly how this serie should be but it's barely succed it. Don't get me wrong this serie is really entertaining , I enjoyed most parts of all issues and that Hawkgirl trick is interesting plot element . But WW scene really bothered me, it doesn't make any sense , it's a "what the hell were they thinking" moment for me.

*shrug*

I think it's simply to make it very clear that this is not Wonder Woman, because Diana would never go that far.

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MidApollo

And no one talks about how Hawkgirl is MOST probably Martian Manhunter :P

What is wrong with u guys :p

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k4tzm4n  Moderator

And no one talks about how Hawkgirl is MOST probably Martian Manhunter :P

What is wrong with u guys :p

Probably because it's super obvious and it's mentioned in The Verdict ;)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@pymsego said:

@k4tzm4nWould love to read your thoughts either here or on twitter when you're done.

FINALLY read the first chapter (better late than never, right). I dug it and the premise definitely left me wanting more. I'll do my best to play catch up this weekend.

PymsEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for checking it out at my request. I dare say, this is why i keep coming back to comic vine. Authors/reviewers/whatever that seem to geuinely care about, AND interact with, the "community". That, and damn good content. Hope you enjoy the rest of the issues.

I am less sure about the current 3 part story in AoS. While it is an interesting, and unique, take on Superman; I was really loving the one-issue-story format. I will be interested to hear your thoughts when you get caught up and the third part goes live tomorrow.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@pymsego: You're very welcome and thank you!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.