Follow

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Volume »

Focused on the aftermath of Metropolis' Nuclear annhilation at the hands of the Joker, this comic includes the battles between the DC Universes greatest characters.

Injustice: Gods Among Us #20

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Up until now, I've viewed this alternate timeline as basically the same as the standard one. It's just one huge and nuclear difference which sets them apart and divides the main roster. However, this issue shatters my perception by completely altering a key dynamic between two characters -- and that's a pretty big deal. I'll remain spoiler-free, but this large change definitely deserves major praise for its handling. There's a moment of hesitation when the two meet and then we're struck with the polar opposite of what we'd expect. It's a brilliant way to present this major change. Additionally, incorporating said character is a significant deal for fans of the game because this individual does play a somewhat critical and most certainly interesting part. Tom Taylor deciding to incorporate the character has me very interested to see how things will play out and eventually lead this individual on the path we see in the video game.

Also deserving of praise is Taylor's dialogue (as usual). The man sure knows how to make these characters speak in a natural manner, even when it comes to completely bizarre and out of the ordinary situations. And even when we're hit with suspense,Taylor continues to prove he can deliver a decent laugh. Finally, I know quite a few Wonder Woman fans have been uneasy with Taylor's portrayal of the character, but that's somewhat addressed in this issue when a pivotal character confesses that she hasn't been acting like herself. Regardless, while I understand disappointment in having a favorite character taking a more devious turn, it's important to remember this isn't the timeline we know and Taylor hits us with a major reminder of that in this issue. It's possible some of her motives have yet to even be revealed.

Aside from a super medicated looking Harley Quinn in the beginning, I really dug Tom Derenick and Alejandro Sanchez's art. There's some truly memorable and striking panels to be found in this one and, except for the one gripe I listed, I had no immediate complaints when glancing through the pages. From Superman's x-ray perspective of a devastated Metropolis to an incredibly vivid panel of an unfortunate fate for a speedster, the entire chapter looks solid.

The Bad

If there's one thing the Injustice world loves to do, it's tease fans of a certain Justice Leaguer. I believe Batman's secret ally is more than obvious at this point, so I find it a little odd Taylor continues to build up the suspense around the character's reveal. I just really hope he has something huge planned for the character to justify this level of mystery. They were massively underused in the game ("I'll just hang out and watch you guys fight"), so my fingers are crossed this person will do something significant.

Minor gripe: Hal's hair is still black. I understand this is an alternate universe and all that, but his hair is brown in the video game.

The Verdict

This series continues to make Tuesdays worth celebrating. Whether you're a fan of the game or just enjoying this digital series on its own, you'll hopefully agree this is commendable issue for changing the status quo and doing a superb job teasing the series' future. If you are indeed a fan of the game, then the introduction of this character should absolutely have you exited because their role is most definitely an intriguing one in the campaign. And, if you haven't played the game, this should still be a cool moment simply because it brings about a massive change. And finally, if you haven't even been reading along but you're curious about the series, this issue can serve as an excellent jumping on point. I of course recommend reading everything leading up to this, but I understand that may be too expensive of an option for some.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Definitely 5 stars.

ALFMutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good point about the hair: Still don't know why Hal dyed his hair for the comic.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Yeah, we're on the exact same page in this issue. Even down to our compulsion to point out how this issue forces a perspective change for readers.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@akbogert said:

Yeah, we're on the exact same page in this issue. Even down to our compulsion to point out how this issue forces a perspective change for readers.

I'll definitely check out your review after dinner. Happy to hear we're on a similar page, though. I thought the way it was handled was fantastic.

/shock

/rejoice! my friend's alive!

Me: wait, WHAT?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Great review and such a great comic, DC should definitely get Tom Taylor working on one of their main titles when this ends.

Also there's a typo in the first line of The Bad section: you spelled leaguer as "leauger" :)

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ccraft

I have no idea who the mystery guy is, I'd like to know!

edit: never mind, saw the link. He would certainly give Batman an advantage.

When did supes become friends with...

Lex and Superman are friends, did I miss something?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ccraft said:

If you honestly want to know, click the link where I talk about it. I'm preeeeeeeeeeetty sure that's the character. ;)

Great review and such a great comic, DC should definitely get Tom Taylor working on one of their main titles when this ends.

Also there's a typo in the first line of The Bad section: you spelled leaguer as "leauger" :)

Thanks and thank you for pointing out the typo. Will fix immediately.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ccraft

@k4tzm4n: I guess the rest would be uneasy if an alien was on the team

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By lifeboy

Yeah! Take that marvel comics x-men. Injustice will punch your stupid face. LOL

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Injustice rocks but black adam's death made me cry(Damn you WW):(

If you agree voice your opinion with me and show you appreciation for him.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashdamn: I thought Black Adam survived his transformation, and he tried to say Shazam, but WW but her hands on his mouth to prevent him saying Shazam.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SNascimento

Black Adam didn't die.

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

why are my underpants getting tighter and my dong feels all tingly…

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ccraft@snascimento:I thought he died cause billy said he wouldnt survive the transformation and he is too old and not being able to say shazam means he will die soon.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

edit: never mind, saw the link. He would certainly give Batman an advantage.

When did supes become friends with...

Lex and Superman are friends, did I miss something?

It's an alternate universe, in this one they're best friends

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey was that Iris West?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#17 inferiorego  Staff

I loved this issue! So good!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up until now, I've viewed this alternate timeline as basically the same as the standard one. It's just one huge and nuclear difference which sets them apart and divides the main roster.

I thought the universes were essentially similar, but the differences in the costumes hinted the changes were more far reaching than just the nuclear divergence.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the "secret" character will be revealed during the same time that he gets revealed as DLC. Ed Boon already teased us with a picture of the game files via twitter, so it's only a matter of time.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this comic is selling like hot cakes

rigby0155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rigby0155

I am really eager to find out what happens to Martian Manhunter, he doesnt show up in the game at all (other then in the background of a level) and contributes nothing to the story

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

So why isn't Martian Manhunter in the game? He's like the coolest character. He'd be awesome to play as.

rigby0155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rigby0155

@mucklefluga: I wish I knew, he is not mentioned at all in the in-game story. He just floats in the background for the Watchtower stage. I guess he will be caught by Superman and co, and killed in the later issues.

Tradewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Now. I'd like to join you". Oh how I wish it was "Now, I'd like to join you".

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

they dont really explain how luthor and sups best bud now?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.