k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

On the surface, INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE seems different from the previous volumes because it's journeying to DC's mystical scene. Many of the favorites have already appeared -- or have been teased -- and it definitely gives the comic book a refreshing atmosphere. However, what's really helping this one differ from the others is it feels like a more personal story. Yes, we've seen Superman become darker as he wanted to "help" the world and we've seen how Batman wants to combat his former ally, but, with this third volume, John Constantine's desire for revenge feels more justified and empathetic. Kal-El had one big disadvantage working against him: We all knew where this path would take him (assuming you've played the video game or did any kind of research) and, because of that, it made it more difficult to connect with the character. We knew where his actions would take him and, sure enough, he's become the arrogant and cruel man we all knew he would turn into. With Constantine, we're rooting for him and hoping he'll find a way to succeed, even though we know his victory -- if he has one at all -- won't be a permanent one and the depressing thought of his potential demise is always lingering in the back of our minds. For me, this creates a more gripping narrative. Sure, I love some jaw-dropping shock value, but with this volume, I feel emotionally invested in Constantine's mission.

Writer Tom Taylor continues to impress. Even when the stakes are high and the tone is bleak, he always finds a way to create conversations that'll make you smile. Under his writing, these characters -- well, the ones who aren't cast aside! -- have so much more depth. The opening talk between Klarion and Constantine is a perfect example of this. Any other writer could have filled this scene with blunt exposition to prepare us for what's to come, but instead of making it feel generic and forgettable buildup, he throws in some witty and legitimately funny dialogue. It's little bits like that which really remind me why I read this series on a weekly basis. Yeah, the action and twists are nice, but it's the strong dialogue that keeps me coming back for more.

It's a very fast-paced issue -- something that also works against it -- but not even a single scene loses sight of keeping our attention. Even something as basic as the Man of Steel traveling to a location is executed really well -- which is a compliment to the art team -- and the opening sequence is something that'll make you have a negative knee-jerk reaction before going, "Alright, that makes way more sense, doesn't it?" And while some may believe Superman's actions are foolish, I think it goes to illustrate just how arrogant the "hero" has become.

This may be a pretty swift read, but artist Bruno Redondo, inker (and finishes) Xermanico, and colorist Rex Lokus make sure our eyes enjoy the experience. Sure, these may not be brilliant or jaw-dropping pages that'll go down as the best art you've seen all year, but considering the tight deadlines this weekly series must have, you have to admit they're consistent and commendable. Nothing here seems rushed. The limited amount of panels works against the narrative, but it really benefits the visuals because that gives each and every panel more weight. The angles are constantly shifting around to give us a new and more insightful look at the scene and the character work never falters. The sequence with Superman and the building is as cinematic as it gets, focusing on each and every critical action, and these various environments, characters, and effects give our eyes the opportunity to enjoy a whole variety of shades. The vivid displays of magic and constructs really do enhance the experience and help us appreciate the surreal powers and abilities these characters possess.

The Bad

I know we're talking about $0.99 comics that are weekly (thanks for that, DC), but every now and then, a chapter feels like a very quick read. Other times, a chapter will feel like it's doing the mandatory legwork to bring us to the truly exciting part of the story. This happens to feel like a wee bit of both, so it's the kind of chapter that'll likely be a little more effective in a collected edition. There's a limited amount of dialogue here and several pages consist of 3 panels or less, so the combination of those 2 things means you'll likely be done with this one sooner than expected.

Oh, I'm sure Raven fans won't be very happy that there isn't any real progression with the character's situation just yet. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the next chapter reveals!

The Verdict

INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE #6 dropped some major foreshadowing. INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE #7? It rushes ahead and finally presents us with the conflict we've been waiting to see. Now we just need to wait a little longer to witness how it'll play out! The road getting to the event may not be all that elaborate or compelling, but it's yet another well-written look at this twisted universe and the pages are sure to keep your eyes engaged. And that cliffhanger? Man, the next chapter is sure to be an especially exciting one, isn't it?

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By KEROGA

From the reviews and Google Researches. This comic seems to be really awesome. I'm ordered the first to volumes through my library ,so I'm just patiently waiting for this very interesting look on this What if- book.

This concept and book really seem fleshed out! Its good that the writer isn't afraid to explore other realms in this book. Usually "what if (insert hero here)story lines" kind of come across one dimensional and ehh.

Again,Cant wait.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

The art was amazing. Also I think I like Yellow Lantern Supes now and want him to stay around for awhile.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm wondering how long Supes will stay a Yellow Lantern. Also Katzman your right the thought of Constantine's demise and how it will happen continues to haunt me.

twistedknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what earth does the injustice events take place?

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I still dont understand whats up with the Specter. I mean, i only know specter from the time it was Hal and the stories from final crisis. So i could be wrong, but is this in his character?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I have to admit, I was disappointed with this issue, probably mostly because of the end teaser from last week proved misleading. I don't know if its just me not having gotten over the change in format, but these digital books just feel incredibly short.

Add to this, I am reading the book right now in the hopes we get to see why Raven caved in to the whims of Trigon, but that appears to have happened all ready, unnoticed and off panel as if it was a natural thing.

(Still hope this 'Year' wont end with Superman doing all the work).

I still dont understand whats up with the Specter. I mean, i only know specter from the time it was Hal and the stories from final crisis. So i could be wrong, but is this in his character?

Depends on the host and his/her influence on the Spectre, so it could be in-line with the duo's personality. Jim Corrigan for instance was a hard cop from the 1930'ties that wasn't above using fear and brutality to get justice done before he became the Spectre.

Similarly, the hostless Spectre was persuaded by Eclipso into waging war on magic because it 'was an affront to God' and ended up killing quite a few magical nations, heroes and villains before it was stopped.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The motivation of Spectre is exactly what i suspected.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I have to admit, I was disappointed with this issue, probably mostly because of the end teaser from last week proved misleading.

I don't think it's misleading as opposed to not just immediately delivering on those teasers. I didn't view last week's cliffhanger as we'll immediately get follow-up as opposed to those are some of the big thins that'll eventually happen in this volume. It would be odd for Taylor to drop that development and not follow-up on it, you know? Unless we're not thinking about the same thing? At any rate, I think this one's cliffhanger is more than interesting enough to justify holding off those developments. Or maybe this will bring about one of the teasers? Guess we'll find out next Tuesday

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Well, I don't really think last issues' last page teaser-text was meant to go any further than it did here (I am not thinking about the Tarot cards, those I think are definitely incoming). It's true she did 'escape' in this issue but only because she was allowed to do so... and then they pulled her back in without a problem.

Now ofc we know, from the game, she eventually get's loose... I just had some hope she'd be more than a fixture on the floor in some warehouse.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Well, I don't really think last issues' last page teaser-text was meant to go any further than it did here (I am not thinking about the Tarot cards, those I think are definitely incoming). It's true she did 'escape' in this issue but only because she was allowed to do so... and then they pulled her back in without a problem.

Now ofc we know, from the game, she eventually get's loose... I just had some hope she'd be more than a fixture on the floor in some warehouse.

Ah, so you're talking about plot progression with Raven? Yeah, not sure if you saw the updated review, but I added a comment about that in "The Bad" shortly after posting the review.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this issue, especially since Ragman showed up at the end

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I did. I spoke up since I am one of those fans :)

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: oh, i always thought he's like the living tribunal.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: oh, i always thought he's like the living tribunal.

Not really.

LT is God's arbiter, he keeps the scales of creation balanced, the Spectre is Gods judge, jury and executioner.

Add to this, the Spectre was once a fallen angel that repented and has since been on a near-endless quest to 'understand' evil while punishing the perpetrators for their sins.

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KouNurasaka

@keroga:

To be a weekly, it is consistently good. The art tends to flip flop between really good and just passable, but the writing is almost always top notch. I don't think you will be disappointed.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kounurasaka: Thanks you. I just received the first two hardcovers ! So I'm just going to marathon through them later today; I wanted to ask, Whats your opinion on the newer Year Three Stuff? Still good?

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keroga:

Year Three is just getting started, I think there are... 9 issues out so far? But it has been pretty awesome. The art on Year Three has improved considerably and the only bad thing I can say about the story is the fact that the issues are so damn short they always end on a cliffhanger. That isn't actually a bad thing, it just makes me want to read the next issue so bad. :)

Essentially, and you will probably notice this with the individual issues, it is almost like a commercial break before the big reveal, except we don't really get resolution for a week. Last issue was really bad about that. Superman was in a compromising situation, and then the issues ends. (He ain't gonna die, but still, you really want to know what happens next!).

So yeah, its been worth every penny in my opinion.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kounurasaka: Awesome,! Cant wait to read Constantine VS Regime Superman.

So I've read Injustice:Volume1 and Injustice:Year2:Volume1...lol it took me a while to understand that these two hardcovers are not back to back. But anyway it was definitely an good interesting read.

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keroga:

Yeah, read all of volume 1 first. It goes in order.

I thoroughly enjoy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.