Follow

Iceman

Character » Iceman appears in 8022 issues.

The youngest member of the original X-Men. Bobby is an Omega-level mutant, although it took some help from Emma Frost to realize this. Bobby's control of ice is vast; he can create shields, clones, spikes, slides and also freeze others. He was recently elected to Krakoa's X-Men

Iceman with "third degree burns" ... WTF??

redbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redbull

Okay, in the latest issues of X-Men, Iceman was attacked by the Nimrods and somehow, while in ice form, suffered third degree burns. I won't even get into the absolutely RIDICULOUS nature of that (worst writing I've ever seen, completely and utterly ignoring Iceman's entire power history)...

My big beef is, later on there's a panel where they're summarizing the battle wounds. Hellion lost his hands... and Iceman "is suffering third degree burns over his body". This doesn't make ANY SENSE!!!!   All Iceman has to do is convert to organic ice and switch back and he will be COMPLETELY HEALED.  

Iceman has shown the ability to be COMPLETELY DESTROYED and survive as vapor! Hell, remember when he lost a chunk of his body and was freaking out, completely afraid to turn back to flesh, in fear he'd die from his injuries? Emma Frost showed him he can COMPLETELY REBUILD himself from ice and be good as new! If he can COMPLETELY REGROW  bone, muscle, tissue, nerves, EVERYTHING FROM ICE, then there is ZERO REASON he can't simply revert back to healthy skin with no burns.

I'm sick and tired of AMATEUR WRITERS completely ignoring years of canon and doing whatever the hell they please in the world. Seriously. It's your job. It's not hard to get a BALLPARK UNDERSTANDING OF THE CHARACTERS YOU'RE PAID TO WRITE.

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LT1085

Read it again. The nimrods specifically adapt to whoever they are fighting at the time.

Grandma's Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Grandma's Boy

i bought that same issue too and i was like you at first but apparently they are 3rd degree ENERGY burns whatever that is...

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @LT1085 said:
    " Read it again. The nimrods specifically adapt to whoever they are fighting at the time. "
    Surely the other guy's right.
    If Iceman's been shattered and recovered burns aren't an issue.

X-men's stoopid these days.
    Not readin' that crazy vampire shizzle.....even if it does like pretty decent....
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

Did they manage to turn him back human and then burn him, then I think it works.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RedK

ok haven't read the x-men since messiah complex cause theirs to many books and too much going on, but from the title of this thread i can add bad writing to the list as well.

and Hellion losing his hands thats just retarded that was how he used his powers by focusing it with his hands, did they mention if his hands could be repaired?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

the problem I had with the issue is that the injuries seemed to just appear out of no where....they show Hellion's hands "exploding?" and Iceman receiving the burns but it's hard to see where the attacks come from that do this to them

Grandma's Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grandma's Boy
    @Grandma's Boy said:
    " i bought that same issue too and i was like you at first but apparently they are 3rd degree ENERGY burns whatever that is... "
    i think beast says it right after the fight in the first panel of the page
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @PrinceIMC said:
    "Did they manage to turn him back human and then burn him, then I think it works."
    Yes.  The Nimrod's attack forced him out of his Ice form.  His flesh was then free to burn.  Presumably he's remained unconscious since & therefore can't heal himself as he has done in the past.

X-Force 27
    X-Force 27
    redbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By redbull

I'm sorry that's still ridiculous.

Even if you can burn Iceman in human form, he can still turn to ice and repair himself. "Energy burns" is complete and utter PIS. If he can rebuild entire limbs, his brain, everything from pure vapor, then he can regrow some ridiculous skin cells.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I don't get the level of anger or the speed at which people start calling stuff "bad writing". There are several things stated in this thread that allow it to make sense (the Nimrods adapt to powers and iceman being knocked out and unable to fix himself right away were two good ones) and I'm sure there's more than just hasn't been thought of yet. Sometimes I feel like comic fans are way too tightly wound and should relax more. You can have an opinion, but just because you don't understand or like something doesn't mean you have to freak out.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @redbull: It was either third degree burns or he gets melted... you can't have both.
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LT1085

This thread needs :

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @LT1085 said:
    " This thread needs :
    "
    I agree.
    spiderpigbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By spiderpigbart
    @Edamame: But his body is in most cases pure ice, not human underneath.
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20  Edited By thatlad

Okay I understand where people are coming from but you're also missing your own point about not understanding characters. Nimrod's adapt to a mutant's powerset, so it appears they found a way to burn bobby. I think the writer's point was to show how powerful a nimrod is that they can damage and omega level mutant in a way not thought possible.  

And as for bobby's healing factor, well he's got one but he's not Wolverine! It takes him a bit longer. 

My biggest problem with all those injuries though is why send Elixir to the future when he could help heal the casualties?????

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By John Valentine
    @thatlad said:
    " My biggest problem with all those injuries though is why send Elixir to the future when he could help heal the casualties????? "
    Elixir's still stuck on Necrosha. Cypher went with X-Force (consisting of Cable, Wolverine, Domino, X-23 and Archangel) to the future). 

@redbull said:
    " I'm sorry that's still ridiculous.  Even if you can burn Iceman in human form, he can still turn to ice and repair himself. "Energy burns" is complete and utter PIS. If he can rebuild entire limbs, his brain, everything from pure vapor, then he can regrow some ridiculous skin cells. "
    He was rendered unconscious by the attack, hence why he didn't heal himself immediately.  
    I don't know why you're getting so mad as he's perfectly fine by Uncanny X-men #525.... 
    The reasons stated in this thread, which I agree with, are perfectly valid. 
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23  Edited By thatlad
    @John Valentine said:
    " @thatlad said:
    " My biggest problem with all those injuries though is why send Elixir to the future when he could help heal the casualties????? "
    Elixir's still stuck on Necrosha. Cypher went with X-Force (consisting of Cable, Wolverine, Domino, X-23 and Archangel) to the future). 

What? How can Elixir be stuck on Necrosha? It doesn't exist anymore. You're right about him not being with x-force in the future though, I got him confused with Cypher.  
    So does this mean Josh is on utopia then? Cos if so why hasn't he healed Karma, Hellion & Iceman???
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By John Valentine
    @thatlad said:
    " @John Valentine said:
    " @thatlad said:

What? How can Elixir be stuck on Necrosha? It doesn't exist anymore. You're right about him not being with x-force in the future though, I got him confused with Cypher.  So does this mean Josh is on utopia then? Cos if so why hasn't he healed Karma, Hellion & Iceman??? "
    Kyle and Yost stated that he's not on Utopia. When asked where they said "Somewhere else, maybe Nechrosha!" (CBR most recent K&Y X-Position).
    madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By madrid_san

i dont think elixir went to the future. it was cypher who looks similar to elixir. the injuries on iceman make sense. i just wished the writers utilize him more and make villains powerful enough for us to see iceman unlock all his potential.
    Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Superskrull86

Hahahaha! that is retarted!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By PowerHerc

@LT1085: lol.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mercy_
    @Superskrull86
    Hahahaha! that is retarted!
    Oh irony.
    Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Enosisik

"Sometimes I feel like comic fans are way too tightly wound and should relax more. You can have an opinion, but just because you don't understand or like something doesn't mean you have to freak out."..... AMEN TO THAT!!! Comics are in a constant battle between the immovable object and the unstoppable force with writers having to choose which side wins on a monthly basis and while trying to make at least some sense of it and keep fans happy an entertained. That's a lot to ask from ANY writer. It's always going to be hit and miss as far as cannon of powers because it needs to be in order to continue the story each month. I mean what really is keeping the JLA from going around and stopping every criminal on Earth within a week? The existence of heroes in and of themselves is a contradiction to their powers and continuity. complaining about minor plot moments is just utterly disrespectful and annoying to anyone who has tried to actually write or be creative in any way shape or form and then put their work out there to be criticized by others.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VampireSelektor

How about this for an attack strategy: Instead of forcing Iceman into flesh form in order to inflict burns, what if the Nimrods concentrated their efforts towards evaporating the current hero of topic into seeming nothingness. Readers would witness Iceman in an incorporeal state, a la Rockslide....or not.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By ReVamp

Dat Bump.

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
    The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redbull
    can iceman's ice form protect him from psychic attacks???? does anyone know??????
    Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

It doesn't sound like it makes sense, but once you read it it does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.