Follow

Huntress (Bertinelli)

Character » Huntress (Bertinelli) appears in 1166 issues.

Helena Bertinelli, born into one of Gotham's mafia families, became a spy and vigilante, destroying those that had killed her family. As a key member of the Birds of Prey, she has moved toward brutal, but non-lethal methods for fighting crime.

Why Will 'The Huntress' Be Connected To Earth-2 'Justice Society'?

• 79 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Many fans' biggest qualms with the new revamped DC Universe is the harsh reality that many of their favorite characters might no longer make regular appearances in their favorite comic books. Over the weekend DC's co-publisher Dan Didio revealed that it wasn't just the characters that fans would have to worry about. According to Didio, many of DC's "crises" story lines (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Final Crisis, etc.) may not have actually happened and thus, may not matter anymore. For more information and for the direct quote visit the news article, here.

No Caption Provided

Many of the current incarnations of characters we have grown to know and love were the result of the various "crises'" in the DCU -- but if those events never happened, then how much and how many of these characters have really changed?

Many DC characters initially "got the shaft" when fans began to realize that these characters were being plucked from their ongoing books -- particularly when it came to female characters. Whether it was the massive backlash from fans who promised "never to read another DC title," or whether it was something that had been in the works for quite a while, DC announced in early August they would launch a 'Huntress' mini-series which would be written by Paul Levitz and drawn by Marcus To. The question of which Huntress (Helena Bertinelli or Helena Wayne) would be getting her own title remained, and the fact that the news of an Earth-2 Justice Society book was in the works featuring James Robinson left many wondering whether these books would be connected and whether the Huntress ongoing would star Earth-2's Helena Wayne.

== TEASER ==

Earlier today DC unveiled the solicits and first three covers for the Huntress mini-series and confirmed that the character would be "connected" to three titles; the first issue which will hit stores this Wednesday, October 5th. The solicit for the November issue of 'The Huntress' confirmed that the story will feature Helena Bertinelli, not Helena Wayne (no surprise there -- DC wouldn't want to confuse people...more) and that her story will ultimately connect with three other titles: Birds of Prey, Mr. Terrific and the announced Earth-2 Justice Society. Considering this Justice Society will be set on Earth-2, and this mini-series features the Earth-1 Huntress, what's the connection? We reached out to writer James Robinson who will be penning the Justice Society book to see if he would disclose any details:

I'm very excited to see the huntress book and the wonderful work of Paul Levitz and Marcus To. I'm very excited to be a part of all the plot twists, turns and revelations that you will get to see next year. I'm excited about how the Huntress title will eventually link up with the other books, including the Justice Society.

While we're not sure whether he could be more vague about the subject, we still appreciate the quote. Thanks, James. Maybe when you appear on our podcast this Friday we'll harass you about it. We kid. What do you think all of this means? How and why do you think the Huntress will connect with the Justice Society? What about her connection to Birds of Prey? Mr. Terrific?

Source: DC Source

No Caption Provided

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Art by MARCUS TO and JOHN DELL

Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

Look out! By the end of this hot new miniseries, the Huntress will have the largest price on her head in DC Universe history.

What will the Huntress do that warrants such a death mark? And who puts it there? The jaw-dropping events will be revealed as the Huntress heads home to Italy and embarks on a mission that defines her life. Don't miss out, because this story will tie in to upcoming events in BIRDS OF PREY! On Sale October 5th, 2011.

No Caption Provided

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

Helena Bertinelli takes a trip to Naples, Italy, but she's not there on holiday. As her alter ego, the Huntress, she's uncovered a human trafficking and gun-smuggling ring that only scratches the surface of Mafioso activity! With no backup, no safety net, can this one-woman wrecking crew clean up the mean streets of this ancient city? On Sale November 9, 2011.

No Caption Provided

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

The Huntress has vowed to take down one of the most powerful mob bosses in Europe...but who's the even more powerful man behind him? And why is she facing a showdown in the ancient ruins of Pompeii? On Sale December 7, 2011.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i don't know how i feel about Dc keeping Earth 2, it might confuse fans as to why there are two Earths with two sets of heroes.... 

however, i'm really excited about Huntress and i hope she stays Bertinelli...not Helena Wayne, and i'm VERY glade to see they got rid of that belly window on her suit

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I have this on my pull list XD

Love the new costume

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Pokeysteve

Helena Bertinelli is on my pull list. If it's Helena Wayne then it's dropped.

Also how is it connected to Earth 2 JS and an upcoming issue of Birds of Prey?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Pokeysteve: don't know about the JS but Dc did say it's connected to later events in Birds of Prey
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By RainEffect
    @Babs: I don't know about you, but I am so pleased that they took the liberty of giving Huntress a full-covered costume. Her old one was impractical and a fan-service. This one is awesome.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @The Stegman said:
    i don't know how i feel about Dc keeping Earth 2, it might confuse fans as to why there are two Earths with two sets of heroes....  however, i'm really excited about Huntress and i hope she stays Bertinelli...not Helena Wayne, and i'm VERY glade to see they got rid of that belly window on her suit
    A very good point.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mercy_

SO F*CKING PUMPED FOR THIS!

@RainEffect said:

@Babs: I don't know about you, but I am so pleased that they took the liberty of giving Huntress a full-covered costume. Her old one was impractical and a fan-service. This one is awesome.

AGREED!

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By B'Town

I have this on my pull list! Yay,

@The Dark Huntress said:

Absolutely what you said. :D

battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By battyfan1

why can't we have both helena's...........?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always thought the idea of Helena Wayne was interesting, but prefer Helena Bertinelli, and am also pleased with the new costume.  American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest is ending soon, so this might make a decent replacement.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By RainEffect
    @The Dark Huntress said:

@RainEffect said:

AGREED!

The only thing that would make this perfect for me is if she ends up in Venice. I'd love to see how an artists handles that!
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BatteredArmor

I miss the belly window.....don't hurt me

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By GothamRed

I hate the idea of earth 2 stories, can anyone give a good reason why the JSA can't still exist on Earth's one? What does it affect having them there, why does superman HAVE tot be the first hero to chronologically appear? I'm sorry if I sound trollish, but that's honestly how I feel about the whole thing, cause now if the two teams, JSA and JLA, want to have a crossover, it will be more convoluted than just having two teams work together. *pout*

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@GothamRed: Agreed they should just have them be take place in secret or put them in the past, why start mucking up the fresh start with all the alternate earths so soon.

Raw_gutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raw_gutz

Checked out the preview on Newsarama, and it looks pretty good, liking the art. I like Huntress so I'm going to pick it up regardless, odd to not see her in BoP.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I never knew the Huntress was so popular...
    However I will say the art looks pretty good and the costume is nioce.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Can't wait to read this, tho I am concerned about her being from Earth 2. I rather New Earth Huntress. She evolved overtime, and I was disappointed in Birds of Prey that she didn't get a bigger role after Barbara promoted her.

TheOutLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheOutLaw

Is Wednesday here yet?

Can't wait to read this issue.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By jrock85

I'm intrigued.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By GothamRed

@EnSabahNurX: I had another idea of how to handle it if you want to see that. here

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThanosIsMad

@The Stegman said:

i don't know how i feel about Dc keeping Earth 2, it might confuse fans as to why there are two Earths with two sets of heroes.... however, i'm really excited about Huntress and i hope she stays Bertinelli...not Helena Wayne, and i'm VERY glade to see they got rid of that belly window on her suit

If they treat Earth 2 like Marvel treats their Ultimate line, there won't be any confusion. Make sure things are clearly labeled, things will be fine.

It really isn't a big deal, since DC has the Earth-1 stuff, Earth-16 stuff going on with Young Justice, and if Captain Marvel comes back, the book will probably take place on Earth-5.

By the way Babs, New Earth isn't Earth-1, it's Earth-0. Earth-1 is the universe the graphic novels take place in. DC's multiverse is Earth-0 through Earth-51 with the Anti-matter universe being independent of those 52 universes.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22  Edited By ImperiousRix

Really confused now. I'm planning on getting this title, but it even explicitly states that Huntress is going to be involved in Birds of Prey (or at least cross paths with them). This Justice Society talk makes it seem like this thing takes place in a completely different continuity...

Unless of course Justice Society really ISN'T on Earth 2? Or somehow the two worlds link up?

My brain hurts.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I hope Huntress turns out to be the daughter of Batman and Catwoman. That would be so much fun, an alternate timeline where Batman had a daughter. How would she get along with the Batman clone Damien? How will her relationship be with "Our" dimensions Batman? Catwoman? Fun idea, I hope it turns out that way.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Trodorne
    @ArtisticNeedham said:

I hope Huntress turns out to be the daughter of Batman and Catwoman.

Thats what Im thinking it is for huntress. Since Earth-2 has always been designated at the universe of the aged super heroes. it would not suprise me if she was of the bronze age batman and catwoman. 

And I called it that there would be an Earth-2 in this new DC universe.
    Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Darkmount1

My guess is that the connection to the JSA book is....Miz Bertenelli in an encounter with the Earth-2 Huntress.
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Pokeysteve

@The Stegman said:

@Pokeysteve: don't know about the JS but Dc did say it's connected to later events in Birds of Prey

I know about her tie in with Birds which is why this confuses me. I hope they don't just give her a cameo like Barbara. I don't know about you other BoP fans but I found Babs (Gordon not Sara =D) to be a little on the bitchy side.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    Huntress / Batman
    Huntress / Batman

@Trodorne: Then that also brings up the interesting idea of her being too old to be this Bruce Wayne's daughter. Sort of like Cable being Cyclops's son in the future, but he traveled back in time and is now older than his father. It gives the chance to show her be amazed to actually see her father in his prime as Batman. Along with how she would interact with Damien you get how she would interact with Nightwing and Batgirl, even his enemies like the Joker. I am just saying this idea opens up a lot of possible story ideas and fun moments.

Raw_gutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raw_gutz

@Pokeysteve: If you're talking about that scene with Barbara and Dinah, then yea I thought she was too.

Avatar image for monitor_earthprime
    monitor_earthprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well I didn't put his on my list not knowing what was going on, but now I will pick up this mini-series.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ThanosIsMad

@Trodorne said:

@ArtisticNeedham said:

I hope Huntress turns out to be the daughter of Batman and Catwoman.

Thats what Im thinking it is for huntress. Since Earth-2 has always been designated at the universe of the aged super heroes. it would not suprise me if she was of the bronze age batman and catwoman. And I called it that there would be an Earth-2 in this new DC universe.

It wasn't hard to call. The multiverse as it was after Infinite Crisis never changed, only New Earth changed. The remaining 51 universes were left alone.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#31  Edited By xerox_kitty

Even in comics, it's difficult to turn things so quickly around.  Let alone have three issues ready.  It seems that this is something they've had planned for some time.  I suspect DC are trying to be mysterious, but are coming off as desperate U-Turners instead.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Michiel76

WTH? Earth 2, earth 1??? Look i'm new to DC comics, i'm loving some new 52 books right now, but what is going on? I don't even know what half of this article is about.

So is this part of the new 52 line of comics or not? And does this mean Birds of Prey, Mister Terrific and the upcoming JSA comic are not part of the new 52 universe?

Great job DC, getting new readers by doing a reboot and before we even hit an issue #2 pull this stunt and confuse everyone who has never read a DC comic, like me.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eyz

Wasn't the goal of all this "NEW 52"-thingie to make things simpler for (new)readers??

How would separating the JSA from the "main continuity" be simplifying things?? Also why would you get rid of the JSA but merge the Wildstorm universe anyway??

Aww...man.. gonna start grabbing more and more ol' TPBs in second hand/bargain bins instead of following this mess...

Avatar image for hammers_of_justice
    hammers_of_justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats outsstanding, Can't wait.

avenger11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By avenger11

why can't there just be one earth?

Evpraksiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Evpraksiya

They should give her a more important place than before she's way better than so much of her comparse. 

Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mahzian

In regards to confusing new readers, the idea of the multiverse actually attracted me to DC back in the day when I was looking for something different than Marvel back in the late mid 90's, I felt it gave it much more depth, it's a really interesting concept when you wrap your head around it

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By longbowhunter

I like Hunteress and Marcus To, but this doesnt seem necessary. Kinda interested about James Robinson's JSA book though. I think his work with golden age characters is where he shines.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By fodigg

Issue one of MR TERRIFIC had some talk of other dimensions. My guess is that he opens a portal to Earth-2. Maybe we'll get a real Kara Zor-L Power Girl after all.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Its been confirmed for sometime that we will be getting an Earth-2 JSA story and a Batman Beyond story, I've personally talked to a few creators regarding the relaunch and they weren't allowed to spill too much beans on it but they confirmed the multiverse is still in play (as this obviously confirms) and that Grant Morrison has always wanted to do a multiverse comic epic, and he'll be getting a shot at that.
    huntressfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By huntressfan

Isn't Jame Robinson the same guy that wrote Huntress having a threesome with Hal Jordan and Lady Blackhawk? No thanks, I'm not interested in him touching or having anything to do with my favorite character. I don't understand why DC doesn't give Huntress her own book and let Levitz continue with the character.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @Michiel76 said:

WTH? Earth 2, earth 1??? Look i'm new to DC comics, i'm loving some new 52 books right now, but what is going on? I don't even know what half of this article is about.

So is this part of the new 52 line of comics or not? And does this mean Birds of Prey, Mister Terrific and the upcoming JSA comic are not part of the new 52 universe?

Great job DC, getting new readers by doing a reboot and before we even hit an issue #2 pull this stunt and confuse everyone who has never read a DC comic, like me.

Okay here's the lowdown, DC has a multiverse, which in the past has been made up of an infinite parallel dimensions that are numbered, they did this to explain continuity differences from the Golden Age to the Silver Age. Earth 1 has traditionally been the main DC world since the Silver Age, while Earth 2 is where Golden Age Flash (Jay Garrick), Golden Age Superman (Kal-L instead of Kal-El), Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott), etc were from, however during Crisis on Infinite Earths, the multiverse fell under attack, pretty much every dimension was destroyed except the Earth 1 Universe, so all the surviving heroes from Earth 2 (the golden age heroes that make up the Justice Society of America) now moved to Earth 1, the only Dimension left. However after Infinite Crisis in 2006 the Multiverse was restored, resulting in 52 Parallel Dimensions. (See 52 is a very significant number for DC). So until we hear otherwise it is assumed that all of the New 52 titles are taking place on Earth 1, but the Multiverse, at least in some form, still exists, so that there is in fact at least an Earth 2, which as talked about in Mr. Terrific is able to be reached through a dimension portal. So in early 2012 the JSA comic will be introduced on Earth 2. Its no big deal, just have to know that it exists outside the rest of the events on Earth 1 that are happening in all of the New 52 stories. 

Think of it as the main Marvel Universe also having offshoot dimensions/universes like the Age of Apocalypse dimension.
    huntressfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By huntressfan

@Evpraksiya said:

They should give her a more important place than before she's way better than so much of her comparse.

I totally agree with this.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @Eyz

It doesn't complicate things at all, the JSA story is just taking place in a separate Universe/dimension, in this case Earth 2, than the New 52 Universe which is assumed to be on Earth 1. It's no different than Marvel having an Ultimateverse or Age of Apocalypse Universe that exist in separate dimensions than the main Marvel Universe.
    huntressfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By huntressfan

@Darkmount1 said:

My guess is that the connection to the JSA book is....Miz Bertenelli in an encounter with the Earth-2 Huntress.

Crisis events aren't canon, so does Helena Wayne even exist on Earth-2? But I wouldn't mind this as long as James Robinson doesn't write HB Huntress in JSA. He showed no understanding or respect of the character in JL: Cry For Justice.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @huntressfan

I'm sure if sales are good they'll continue it into its own Ongoing series, it wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that. To me it sounds like she'll make a guest appearance or two in JSA but not fully join the roster, so you shouldn't have to worry about Robinson writing her too much, and that 3some is probably no longer in continuity, so you're all good. Levitz is a good writer, I've really enjoyed his work on the Legion of Super heroes the last 18 months, it'll be interesting to see what he does with Huntress.
    huntressfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By huntressfan

@Pokeysteve said:

Helena Bertinelli is on my pull list. If it's Helena Wayne then it's dropped.

Also how is it connected to Earth 2 JS and an upcoming issue of Birds of Prey?

This mini is Helena Bertinelli, not Helena Wayne. Don't drop it please. She needs support. I want to see her have her own book.

huntressfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By huntressfan

@MetropolisKid41 said:

@huntressfan: I'm sure if sales are good they'll continue it into its own Ongoing series, it wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that. To me it sounds like she'll make a guest appearance or two in JSA but not fully join the roster, so you shouldn't have to worry about Robinson writing her too much, and that 3some is probably no longer in continuity, so you're all good. Levitz is a good writer, I've really enjoyed his work on the Legion of Super heroes the last 18 months, it'll be interesting to see what he does with Huntress.

I hope you're right. Helena Bertinelli is a great, under appreciated character and I fully trust Levitz mini will help showcase her in a positive light and drawn new fans.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @huntressfan

That's not entirely true, Didio clarified saying that the events of Crisis didn't work for every character when they first happened, and that Crisis would add even more confusion now, so he said they don't exist as we've known it in the past, but that they still happened in some sense, and how they affect each character (if at all) will be revealed as time goes on. I'm sure it'll be a cohesive story, that's why they did this all in the first place, so we'll just have to sit back and hopefully in 6-12 months we have a clearer picture of what's in and what's out as far as past continuity goes for each character. So far we know that both Batman and Superman's Deaths still happened (Nightwing & Swamp Thing)
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Michiel76:  

exactly why i think they should do away with all Earths except the main one

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.