Hulk #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Jennifer Walters is going through some changes. Her character may not have been around as long as the Hulk, but she has had her share of adventures since her debut in 1980. In order to be seen as something other than just a female version of Hulk, we've seen her grow into a pretty different type of character. The differences in being able to control her transformation and retain her intellect gave her fascinating differences. Somewhere along the way, she became a character suited for more humorous situations. There were some enjoyable stories, but she soon started to feel more like a parody.

That's changing now.

When it comes to big comic book events, we often see huge game-changing situations that quickly tend to fizzle out. The changes are sometimes looked at, but not always fully explored. With Jen, she's gone through quite an ordeal. She survived a beating by Thanos, which put her in a coma. She awoke to discover her cousin was killed. These served as plot points in the Civil War II arc, but it looks like Mariko Tamaki is going to take full advantage of these happenings in order to add some layers to Ms. Walters.

The issue opens with Jen headed to her old law firm as Jennifer Walters rather than She-Hulk. It's immediately seen she's going through some things. Trying to adjust to this new chapter in her life is wonderfully illustrated as we see Jen's commute from her apartment in New York City to the firm's new office. This isn't the usual happy-go-lucky character we're used to. When she meets with a seemingly normal client, we begin to see there's more to the story than there first appears to be.

Nico Leon's art and Matt Milla's colors are spot on. With the apprehension Jen is going through, you can practically feel her emotions oozing off the page. There's a nice subdued feel to each page and the colors really drive it all home.

As this is the first issue, there is some set up. The comic is called Hulk, but we don't actually see Jen hulk-out. For those expecting some rip-roaring Hulk action, there isn't any here. Instead, we see Jen's struggle to keep herself in check as she deals with the recent traumatic events. A first issue needs to set the tone for a series. It's hard to determine what we can expect in later issues here. Seeing Jen like this is an intriguing change and much preferred to the comic relief she somehow became over the years. I'm all for a look at the emotional side of surviving huge galactic threats over a simple punch-fest, month after month. With what Tamaki, Leon and Milla have shown us so far, my attention has been piqued.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Will she be hitting Clint or Carol with a wrongful death lawsuit or just give them a pass on the murder?

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will she be hitting Clint or Carol with a wrongful death lawsuit or just give them a pass on the murder?

Well they gave Carol a reward for (Spoiler for CW #8)

putting Tony Stark in a coma. Beast says he actually would have died if it wasn't for the self experimenting

Just read Hulk #1 and I thought it was a great start. The mood isn't totally dour, but it does feel fairly solemn. Of course she isn't her usual confident self, but it is interesting to see a story about Jennifer Walters the person. Without her green courage.

Those preview pages probably weren't the best in terms of the art and tone. That stressed face and overall dark color palette made it seem like it was gonna be a more depressing book overall. Though, the darkness does lurk! Which I was pleasantly surprised by, I didn't think we would get much "super hero" type elements in this run. So good so far, I eagerly await more.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimebeherit:

Just read Hulk #1 and I thought it was a great start. The mood isn't totally dour, but it does feel fairly solemn. Of course she isn't her usual confident self, but it is interesting to see a story about Jennifer Walters the person. Without her green courage.

Those preview pages probably weren't the best in terms of the art and tone. That stressed face and overall dark color palette made it seem like it was gonna be a more depressing book overall. Though, the darkness does lurk! Which I was pleasantly surprised by, I didn't think we would get much "super hero" type elements in this run. So good so far, I eagerly await more.

Great!

As She-Hulk fun, who have enjoyed the last volume, more focused on her work as a lawyer, I was worried that after the CWII the authors will write more about her hulkish part, with her hulking out and raging over, just like some preview let intend... and well, I don't want a "Female Hulk" Book, I want She-Hulk Book! So if, as you say, the story is about Jennifer Walters, focused on herself with few super-heroing, may it's more interesting that what it seem by the previews, so I'm interested again :)

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@slimebeherit said:
    @mark_stephen said:

putting Tony Stark in a coma. Beast says he actually would have died if it wasn't for the self experimenting

I just don't want her to do nothing like she did against Tony after he hit her with the drug that took away her powers. She stormed off the helicarier promising all sorts of things and then did absolutely nothing and later all it took was a note of apology. I'd like to see her handle Clint's hypocrisy and Carol's fascism in a more intelligent legally pro-active way. Given that this is marvel and that in my opinion they approve of hypocrisy and fascism I don't have much hope that'll happen. I'll follow this story here (and on some other sights) because I still like what the character was, but unless I see something really, really good in the preview pages I'll trade wait or wait for the discount boxes. It's rare that a comic book story is worth full price these days.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rubear

#NotOurHulk

No Caption Provided

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 owie  Moderator

Interesting. I tended to receive the promotion of this book as a sort of out-of-character approach to Jen, and as a way to have someone else take over the main Hulk's shoes for gender diversity purposes--which on the one hand is something I generally approve of, but on the other hand didn't seem necessary because She-Hulk has been a pretty prominent female version of the Hulk for decades now, with multiple solo series as well as roles on major teams from the FF to the Avengers. Basically I didn't see the need for her to be "Hulk" when she's already staked out a very specific, non-derivative identity as "She-Hulk." Spider-Woman is another good example of this; there are various Spider-Women/Girls, but Jessica Drew in particular has been around for decades, and has built her own history and personality that have nothing to do with Peter. I wouldn't want to see her supplant Peter in the main spider-title as Jen seems to have done here. This is different from the way that there have been multiple, say, Captain Americas and Thors over the decades, but with appreciably less diversity and independence from the originals than the alternative Hulk/Spider-folks. So in their cases, the new Cap/Thors seem to have more value in terms of temporarily supplanting the originals. Which is all to say, it seemed weird to me that they gave her this Hulk book. But, I can agree with the review that Jen has been through a lot recently, and it may be the kind of experiences that draws her closer to the classic, angry hulk than her historically happy go lucky hulk. So, I may have to take a look after all if they really use that background as a spur for the new direction.

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: As long as this is just a phase in her life, and something she can overcome, then I'm all for this run. The first issue was quite good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Sounds like this series will be putting more emphasis on emotional intensity and serious mood over the more light hearted and comedic tone that a solo She Hulk series tends to go for. Might bring in new fans at the cost of alienating She-Hulk's core fanbase who will always buy a solo She Hulk comic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
    deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If she's replacing Cho then I'm in for this

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Sounds like this series will be putting more emphasis on emotional intensity and serious mood over the more light hearted and comedic tone that a solo She Hulk series tends to go for. Might bring in new fans at the cost of alienating She-Hulk's core fanbase who will always buy a solo She Hulk comic.

Nah, I'll still buy it. I've liked her previous series and want to check this out. It'll be nice to see a change for the character as long as it means some long term growth. Plus I like Tamaki's stuff, so I feel the character will be in good hands.

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If she's replacing Cho then I'm in for this

Just like Cho didn't replace Banner, Walters isn't replacing Cho. There are like 5 Spider-Woman, I think we can handle two different kinds of Hulks.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Nah, I'll still buy it. I've liked her previous series and want to check this out. It'll be nice to see a change for the character as long as it means some long term growth. Plus I like Tamaki's stuff, so I feel the character will be in good hands.

I'm not familiar with Tamaki's work but maybe she is a good enough writer to pull this change off on She-Hulk. But does long term growth for a character necessitate emotional angst and struggle?

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I'm not familiar with Tamaki's work but maybe she is a good enough writer to pull this change off on She-Hulk. But does long term growth for a character necessitate emotional angst and struggle?

Well in order to grow you do need to struggle. Considering this is a Hulk book, a title often dealing with the emotion of anger, it makes sense that she should struggle emotionally.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hmmm I read the first issue not really sure how I feel about it. It is really focusing on the trauma and angst of Jen and doing a really odd comparison right off the bat with her client who let that trauma consume her. The art helps make it not as depressing as I first thought.

With all of that said, its a very light first issue, not much happens other then setting up Jen's struggle, it's very quickly read which annoys me since it's 4 bucks. I feel now a days comics need more in a first issue then an inner monologue to sell a decompressed story. I may give it another issue but as of right now its lack luster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rubear said:

#NotOurHulk

No Caption Provided

This meme strangely gets funnier every time I see it, instead of the opposite...

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cagnazzo82

@slimebeherit said:
    @mark_stephen said:

The president at the end of Civil War sounded corrupt AF.

Also that series in general has to be one of the most awful I've ever read in my life. It's like intentionally offensive... and not in a way that's like 'oh I'm so offended that such and such happened'...

It's just - I would say intellectually insulting to the reader. I guess that's how I would phrase it.

The reactions of the people at the end of Civil War were so counter-intuitive and absurd it's almost laughable.

But anyway, back to subject, I guess I might check out this book.

Marvel is still at it with replacing their most valuable characters, but whatever. I'll give a series a chance for at least the first issue.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @moogman13 said:
    @lvenger said:

From the other work I have read from Tamaki angst ( specifically teenage angst) is her bread and butter. Now Jen is the first non teenage main I have read from her and so far the inner monologue seems less like Jen and more suitable for a younger character, but that could be because I see similarities to her other work.

All and all she could do a good job with this idea but if the extreme decompressed style of the first issue is the tempo for the series I don't see it living up to its potential. Then again it's not like this was her idea, Like many Marvel books the editors put together the overviews and push them on the writers.

phantomjolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting issue it was kind of dark reminded me of hulk season 1

benwoodtweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the first issue but I'm gonna wait for the trade. It's not bad but the story feels like it has a slow burn that some people would enjoy from reading a whole volume rather than waiting moths to get the full story.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Every time I think I should give Marvel anither chance I see something like this.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:
    @lvenger said:
    @moogman13 said:
    @lvenger said:

From the other work I have read from Tamaki angst ( specifically teenage angst) is her bread and butter. Now Jen is the first non teenage main I have read from her and so far the inner monologue seems less like Jen and more suitable for a younger character, but that could be because I see similarities to her other work.

All and all she could do a good job with this idea but if the extreme decompressed style of the first issue is the tempo for the series I don't see it living up to its potential. Then again it's not like this was her idea, Like many Marvel books the editors put together the overviews and push them on the writers.

I'm glad to hear what you think of Tamaki's other work on angst as someone who's read it when I haven't. If she's just writing Jen as she would any other young teenage girl character I see that as a bad sign personally.

Decompressed stories are an even worse sign, the plot and pacing suffers for the most part when the writer packs too much in. If that's what Tamaki is doing I fear for the sales of this Hulk series.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wowlock

They don't have to hit every Hulk with Trauma and despression. Sure she can experience the loss and the suffering but to the point of turning it into a mental problem like it is shown here ? We have enough Hulks that deal with that tired old thing. Jen was unique in a sense that she was fine and content with it. In fact she embraced it. There is literally no reason for her to feel this terrified or feel like dying when she takes on her She-hulk form. In fact, her human form should feel more vulnerable. That part doesn't make much sense to me.

And yes, I do enjoy a confident and usually happy Jen more than another possibly depressed and mentally suffering Hulk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are characters who work with dark and depressing stories, and there are characters who are best in light comics. Jen will always be a character whose most memorable stories are fun, like the Byrne and Slott comics. That is my She-Hulk, not this.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mooty_Pass

I liked it honestly it was pretty good. Though I thought it funny people seemed to be walking on egg shells around her.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad they didn't rip off Bruce's duality. I liked it even, it kinda reminded me of a Josei manga.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This book's off to a great start so far. They really established what Jen's going through pretty damn masterfully. I'm a She-Hulk fan and I'll be pulling this without hesitation.

SheHulk528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By SheHulk528

I just wanna see her Hulk out and get new major feats!The Book is good!But I've been waiting for so long for Jen to stop holding back.She needs to be marvels Wonder Woman strength wise.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimebeherit: Carol has to be the worst superhero ever. I mean, she originally cost Julia Carpenter her child for the crime of daring to try to leave the country after the law was passed. Now this. If there's a wrong side to be on, you can be sure Carol will pick that side cause nothing ever happens to her.

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimebeherit: Carol has to be the worst superhero ever. I mean, she originally cost Julia Carpenter her child for the crime of daring to try to leave the country after the law was passed. Now this. If there's a wrong side to be on, you can be sure Carol will pick that side cause nothing ever happens to her.

I understand that sometimes you need to have a hero fall so that they can fly to even greater heights, but the fact that Carol didn't seem to learn anything from her actions within the CW II story, gives off the impression that not only did she do nothing wrong, but that we should be proud of her for staying strong and being on the right side. I don't think that was the intention of the book (if it is then...esh), but it certainly came across that way.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: Yeah, it shines on Jen's normal form and life rather than just her Hulk persona and smashing stuff, really good art too.

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Honestly I'd recommend you read some of her previous solo series and not just her in Civil War II, Bendis didnt write her well at all, he pretty much just took her and molded her into what he wanted for this event while disregarding her character.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@mark_stephen: Honestly I'd recommend you read some of her previous solo series and not just her in Civil War II, Bendis didnt write her well at all, he pretty much just took her and molded her into what he wanted for this event while disregarding her character.

That's what Bendis does with every character. I felt sorry for Carol fans when he got hold of her because I knew that after he got through with her there would have to be a lot of defense and a long time trying to live her actions down. But I've read Carol since she started in 1977, I've seen her go up and down, been a victim and then an oppressor and thought she hit a low when she beat up a woman in front of her daughter until the daughter begged her to stop, but now she's pushed it a bit father, locking up people with no evidence, no trial and no idea when they'd be released, all on the word of one man. Even assuming Carol feels all weepy and uncertain about her actions there is still the fact that those actions happened, those people like the ones in cw1 (where Carol was the most relentless superhero hunter around) have to rebuild their lives while Carol if the previews are accurate will sail away into a comfortable life with maybe only a few tears to stain her cheek.

I feel sorry for those who are Carol fans because while they can claim bad writing (and there is no argument from me on that) there is also the fact that her actions are fascistic and they've been rewarded, just like Tony in cw1. Marvel seems to favor the fascist and while KSD managed to pull her out of that a little after cw1 that was partly because Carol was only Tony's attack dog in cw1, in cw2 she was the head person. I don't think they'll give her a new name, costume and haircut this time.

Sorry but to me she's a fascist and when she next goes up against a super villain I hope she looses.

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrimeEarth2016

@mark_stephen: Honestly I was scared Bendis was gunna kill Carol off, since he's writing Iron Man I thought he would favour him, which he did for the event but just not at the end, he may have ruined her for many people but I'm glad she's still alive and well, of course I would have preferred she wasnt in this CWII at all though. Also can you tell me more about when she was beating a mother up in front of her daughter? Thats the first I've heard about that.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Honestly I was scared Bendis was gunna kill Carol off, since he's writing Iron Man I thought he would favour him, which he did for the event but just not at the end, he may have ruined her for many people but I'm glad she's still alive and well, of course I would have preferred she wasnt in this CWII at all though. Also can you tell me more about when she was beating a mother up in front of her daughter? Thats the first I've heard about that.

Yea, better dead than written by Bendis.

In cw1 Carol went after and caught the Prowler. He had been tipped off that she was coming by Julia Carpenter (Spider woman at the time, though Bendis has changed that since) and the Shroud (Julia's then boyfriend or husband, not sure which). They had been tipping off a lot of the anti-regs that they were being targeted. Under pressure in jail (the government threatened to go after his wife) the Prowler named Julia and the Shroud as the ones who tipped him off. They ran and Carol went after them, capturing the Shroud but Julia got away. While he was being held Carol gave the Shroud a lecture on how many SHIELD agents would be in the hospital because of his and Julia's actions in the chase. Julia at this point could have made it out of the country, but her daughter was staying with her parents and Julia didn't want to leave her behind. I can understand why, the daughter could always have been used by Carol or Tony to blackmail her back into the country or force Julia to do some covert mission, spy on Cap's side (as Tigra, another character ruined by Bendis, did) or some other use. Julia was picking her up when Carol and an assault team showed up and Julia fought back even though she had no chance. In part as she said to show her daughter that there were somethings you had to fight for even if you had no chance. Carol kept hitting her until Julia's daughter ran out begging Carol to stop. The fight wasn't even necessary, Julia couldn't fly. Carol could have picked her up and flown her out of sight, but she had to make the political statement through her actions that no one escapes the government. Later, during Dark Reign when Norman Osborn put Carol on the hit list she ran and fought back, putting just as many HAMMER agents in the hospital as the Shroud did SHIELD agents. Federal agents when all was said and done. That's where the hypocrite parts comes in.

Bottom line, before cw1 Carol was so desperate to be noticed she hired a publicist, after cw1 she was given her own SHIELD strike force and made head of the Avengers. She got to the A-list by beating up superheroes, friends, fellow Avengers and allies, not by beating any super villains. In cw1 she was written as a fascists, in Dark Reign she was written as a hypocrite and now with cw2 she's been written as a fascist again. Marvel favors the fascists and I've just gone beyond the point where I have any affection for the character for that reason. So yea, I'll cheer the super villain, at least he or she will be honest about what they are.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rubear

@primeearth2016 said:

Yea, better dead than written by Bendis

No Caption Provided

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Is it weird that even after reading all of this, my opinion is unchanged? Not saying she is a perfect character who has done no wrong, but to me I will always like her no matter what. Thanks for taking the time to give me all this info by the way, I appreciate it.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@primeearth2016 said:

@mark_stephen: Is it weird that even after reading all of this, my opinion is unchanged? Not saying she is a perfect character who has done no wrong, but to me I will always like her no matter what. Thanks for taking the time to give me all this info by the way, I appreciate it.

No problem, and I respect that you feel the same way as you did before. I envy you that ability. I was there when Carol debuted, in her own series, I had only started collecting then and I didn't know she'd been in Captain Marvel. She was just a cool new character. I've stayed with her through her first series, her time with the Avengers, through her physical rape, the mind/soul rape by Rogue, the up and down powers and drinking problem and before cw1 I really thought marvel was going to go with that character, not the fascist she became for that series and for this one. I think it's good that she still has fans, the character has been through more bad writing than good, but I don't think that she'll ever really break into the status of Wonder Woman, Black Canary or someone like that. Characters like Carol and Jen are doomed to drift from book to book, writer to writer, style to style in my opinion, not be breakout stars or headliners. Even with an upcoming movie in my opinion marvel is going to keep writing her as a fascist, it's the version of the character they are the most comfortable with -as they seem to be very comfortable with most forms of totalitarian rule these days- and I don't think she'll thrive with that sort of characterization, Carol Corps or no Carol Corps. Writing her as the bad guy is the current favorite style for marvel in my opinion, and as long as they can keep the sales up that's all I think we're really going to see out of Carol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.