Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7473 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

When Hulk/Banner return...

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

It's inevitable... and only a matter of time.

When Hulk/Bruce Banner return...

Who do you want to see write the character?

Which artist(s) would you like to have take a shot a the Green Goliath?

And what direction would you like the series and the character take?

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

- Jonathan Hickman/Mark Waid

- Oliver Coipel

- More insight on Bruce Banner as a character, Hulk's evolution as a powerhouse by restraining less when fighting. Story-wise, Banner goes outside the planet voluntarily to explore new worlds instead of being launched against his will and looks forward to expand his technological prowess and during this time Hulk also becomes stronger and more powerful concluding in a much more powerful being and a much smarter scientist arriving back to Earth in the moment he's needed, maybe Thanos or some other team buster is menacing the Earth and he showcases just how powerful he got. In the mean time, Thor recovers his worthiness by accompanying Banner in his search for knowledge, like pilgrims in search of wisdom and knowledge, seals a closer bound with Hulk and Banner understanding each other while making some confessions like Thor not holding back against Hulk or being jealous about his physical prowess while Banner confessing he's always looked up to Thor and how he manages to be as destructive as Hulk and people loves him or some shit like that. Both become more aware of their powers or something and in exchange become the top powerhouses of Marvel Earth in their own right, elevating their caliber above everyone else up to Thanos level. Since Marvel is basically doing the same with Karnak, Thor and Hulk also discover new ways to employ their powers like Hulk on top of releasing huge amount of gamma energy while extremely angry also moves way faster because of the nature of his energy source and Thor on top of controlling the weather and invoking lightning he can also control said lightning in whatever he wants, solidify it, become lightning, lightning constructs and even reach true lightning speed.

Thor becomes a lot smarter in the use of his powers and is basically an asgardian rebel with a new view on all Asgardian matters Jesus Christ style, Banner surpasses beings like High Evolutionary and the Richards's council with technology and intellect and Hulk becomes a ridiculously strong powerhouse that surpasses people like Thanos, Mangog and others with the ability to pin point which area is going to take the most impact, ergo, delivering devastating punches in controlled areas to maximise effectiveness.

All of this happens while Marvel Earth experiences a big event which makes characters like Ms. Marvel, Blue Marvel and Pulsar to become more powerful as well and creating a team composed of powerful characters including Hyperion. That's basically it, all the tie in characters, Iron Man, Black Panther, FF and minor characters like Daredevil ad all that jada jada should also experiment changes but not as significant as the previously mentioned.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Geoff Johns(he even expressed that he'd like to write Hulk the most out of any Marvel character).

Jonathan Hickman

As for the direction, Ghostravage pretty much nailed it... Even before i always wanted Hulk to explore other worlds on his own(not be forced to by getting launched via Illuminati or teleported by Strange, etc..) and i always wanted him and Thor to team up... If Batman and Superman have their own team-up book, how the hell don't Hulk and Thor? This literally boggles my mind that Marvel never came up with the idea... It makes even more sense then Superman and Batman because these 2 guys are both powerhouses, the thing writes itself...

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

- Scott Snyder, Grant Morrison.

- Greg Cupallo, Liniel Frnacis Yu, or Ed Ed Mcguinness.

- I've always had a fascination with Banner psyche, and I feel not a lot of writer utilise that aspect of the Hulk mostly because it's easier to have the Smart scientist become the childish man-Monster. For all the shit Jason Aaron put out in his Hulk run, he scratched an interesting concept. In one of his last issue there was a section where Banners mind was like a Prison where each hulk was locked up. I'd like the idea of Banner manually entering his conscious and choosing a specific Hulk to transform to for a given mission. Could be an opportunity to really develop the other incarnations arc by arc, and we could see them interacting and/or talking with each other or with Banner himself!

Also damn, @ghostravage, that's one solid premise.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Schwarz

@ghostravage: Just wow... How can you come up with such an awesome idea and marvel is still just laying in its own piss with Chulk...

Marvel right now is like a baby that pisses at its own face thinking its funny, the problem is that Marvel is a grown up company, so the whole thing is just disturbing.

I feel like Marvel right now is like a 40s white suburban women who wants to look cool to her kids but trying just a little too hard like a governement ad aimed at teenagers but just completly misses their target audience since the whole thing feels fake and childish.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schwarz: @atheistknowledge: @theacidskull: Thank you. If there's something i admire about anime characters is the way their writers treat them, as far as their evolution as characters and their potential goes.

I mean, wouldn't it be cool to read Thor saying:

"I've been too busy thralling thee. Now I will make sure to understand thee" Or something along those lines, ending in Thor becoming lightning, sensing, perceiving, manipulating and pretty much doing everything regarding lightning itself with help of an alien tribe that specializes in unlocking people's potential or some shit. Same goes for Banner and borrowing from @theacidskull's idea, managing to change between incarnations with a simple gesture of his mind at will, ergo, unlocking a potential never seen before. Like say, both of them become the Avatar of Power and Avatar of Unity respectively due to a prophecy of said Alien tribe in this hypothetical planet, in a hypothetical galaxy. Maybe because Thor is son of Gaia he has a stronger connection to the elemental world that allows him to host the Avatar of Power and given the nature of Banner's multi-personality disorder he can achieve empathy with every living being in the universe and metaphorically drag strength from them, making him able to host the Avatar of Unity as if he operated as a single entity hosting the strength of many.

I know it sounds geeky and stuff, but under the right hands this can be a very serious, bloody, action-filled and mind-blowing case scenario for both characters.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Schwarz

@ghostravage: There is a problem with our culture. I do like animes also. Their culture shows through respect, strenght, honor, loyalty and such. Now I have to admit I can't believe they let Americans do the Dragon Ball movie but oh well what is done is done. Nowadays in North America with the SJWs taking over and just look at what happened at the last Trump rally. I don't want to turn this into a political debate and don't want to agree with everything Trump says but this is society today. Chaos, no respect for other's opinion, destroying other's property claiming they are fighting for equal rights yet if you don't agree they impose their views to a point of intimidation and even violence and that is what we are seeing in our own comics. When SJWs take over something it just goes to hell. Writers come in, don't care about the last writer, don't have respect for loyalty or loyal fans and they just do whatever they want without an once of care or respect for what others have created. It's not even a comic anymore, it's a cheap political agenda in drawings.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostravage

I like what most of what you said until I saw the name Mark Waid.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonifidehustla: Why mate, his Irredeemable comics are one of the best writing i've seen in a long time and i did enjoyed his take on Hulk, specially because of Banner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonifidehustla: Why mate, his Irredeemable comics are one of the best writing i've seen in a long time and i did enjoyed his take on Hulk, specially because of Banner.

True, I like Mark Waid, but he has a different understanding of Hulk/Banner. Particularly referring to the fact that Hulk became nothing more than a growling beast. If he had truly put his heart into it he could have done so much more with both characters. Also, as much as I love good character development, Waid seriously neglected the "smashing" aspect of it, which is kinda a big buzzkill for many, not to mention that a lot of what he wrote was inconsistent with what had previously been established.

I loved the story bits, but once in a while, especially when he sets us up for it, I wanted a big fight. Like the whole ordeal with Hulk squared was a massive missed opportunity...If mark waid had maintained the vibe he was going for in the first two arcs, it would have been absolutely perfect.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: For those flaws, that's where Hickman comes to play. I think Waid lost it during the middle because fans were hard pressing him and complaining since the first issue and he pretty much said "Fuck it". I feel the concept he was showing was really good and he made it pretty clear Hulk wasn't a smashing brute but an empathic being, even while fighting. Plus, have you ever read Irredeemable from BOOM! Studios? He basically wrote an unrestrained Superman who went rogue and it was marvelous... Grant Morrison claimed Waid is one of the best writers nowadays after reading the first issue of it and he has a really insightful way to explain why a character can do something. That said, the writers can be changed, we can very well use Geoff Johns which redefined Aquaman and Green Lantern as powerhouses or Robert Weinberg who turned Cable into the most intelligent and overpowered character in the usage of his powers.

Long story short, i don't think Waid was given the chance to develop his writing on Hulk and it is true his work on him fell short in front of his other work like Irredeemable but given the chance, i think he could do a great job, specially if the direction previously mentioned is taken into account, i mean, after all he DID create a strong connection between what Banner can do and what Hulk can do and how both of them complement each other regardless of lowering Hulk's intellect and turning it more into an empathic beast.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He also made Banner retarded IIRC right before he got off the book.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreenScar1990

Not to mention Waid also made numerous lowball shots/insults at Hulk fans/readers via his Twitter account. I certainly would not want him to return to write Banner/Hulk. Besides that, I pretty much agree with everything else that @ghostravage, @theacidskull and @atheistknowledge said.

I want Hulk/Banner to explore uncharted territory. I want to explore their psyche, I want to see their progression as characters, and I want their power(s) explored/expanded/progressed. I want Hulk to be the Strongest there is, and I want Banner to be the Smartest there is. I've always theorized, as many have and as it's been hinted in the comics, that Hulk's infinite power potential is likely due to the fact that he gets it from a multiversal/omniversal source and that Banner/Hulk could also manifest other powers/abilities if they learned to truly harness this power.

There is so much potential to be utilized. Unfortunately, Marvel isn't interested in doing anything like this, nor do they possess the knowledge or capability to manage anything groundbreaking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: For those flaws, that's where Hickman comes to play. I think Waid lost it during the middle because fans were hard pressing him and complaining since the first issue and he pretty much said "Fuck it". I feel the concept he was showing was really good and he made it pretty clear Hulk wasn't a smashing brute but an empathic being, even while fighting. Plus, have you ever read Irredeemable from BOOM! Studios? He basically wrote an unrestrained Superman who went rogue and it was marvelous... Grant Morrison claimed Waid is one of the best writers nowadays after reading the first issue of it and he has a really insightful way to explain why a character can do something. That said, the writers can be changed, we can very well use Geoff Johns which redefined Aquaman and Green Lantern as powerhouses or Robert Weinberg who turned Cable into the most intelligent and overpowered character in the usage of his powers.

Long story short, i don't think Waid was given the chance to develop his writing on Hulk and it is true his work on him fell short in front of his other work like Irredeemable but given the chance, i think he could do a great job, specially if the direction previously mentioned is taken into account, i mean, after all he DID create a strong connection between what Banner can do and what Hulk can do and how both of them complement each other regardless of lowering Hulk's intellect and turning it more into an empathic beast.

I guess you are right, we can be a tough fanbase sometimes. I liked the first two arcs very much so, it had the exact vibe you described previously.

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sebast_Allen

I want a Banner focused book. Hulk isn't my second favourite superhero just because he's "The Strongest one there is", I love the character because of Bruce Banner, always have. If he had a run, I'd want it to really just expand on who the man behind the Hulk is, Banner-Tech, the Indestructible Hulk series was great when started out. It gave us great Banner moments, and great Hulk moments in that whole "Banner builds, Hulk destroys" dynamic, and so was Skaar: Son of Hulk, just seeing Bruce being an overall badass. That's what I want.

I also really love the whole multiple Hulks in Banner's mind. I would want to see a comic where Banner kind of sees them everywhere he goes, like they're voices in his head, their own characters just locked in Bruce's mind

Thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other users have said this and I've mentioned it before as well but id love for hulk to leave earth and get into some space/cosmic shit around uncharted locations and familiar places alike. Give him a chance to really cut loose like he never could on earth, give banner more freedom to build what he wants.

I mean, how friggin cool would it be for hulk to join the shi'ar for a story arc or two, sporting a bannertech space armour that lets him fly and have complete control over his gamma energy. Then imagine him slamming through a Kree dreadnought, trading shots with gladiator or fighting ronan the accuser. Spectacle and 'smashing' would be so much easier to do, as well as opening up a gateway to interesting stories for banner and hulk alike. I honestly can't see why a writer has never taken an idea like some suggested here and ran with it, the only writer to really utilise space was pak and even that wasn't really space or cosmic-y so much as being stranded on a single planet.

One of my biggest gripes with writers after pak first left was the complete unoriginality most writers had. Aaron spent his entire run literally resetting what pak established and then came to the exact same ending, like the whole run was completely pointless. Waid had a cool idea but he seemed to forget that hulk was a character and hobestly I don't think he was a huge fan of hulk to begin with. He didn't seem to know what greenscar was called and was oblivious to the fact that he had already fought and spanked fing fang foom. Duggan basically recycled proffesor hulk and did the exact same thing Aaron did which pak did before both ("oh no, banner and hulk hate each other! But what! They're one and the same? Friends!).

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: @atheistknowledge: @thedailybagel: @ghostravage:

I've literally got TONS of cool ideas, concepts and premises for 40-50+ story arches for Hulk/Banner. If you wish to hear some of them, I'd be willing to divulge a few that I have constructed/developed/envisioned. I would love nothing more than to get a chance to write the Green Goliath, despite the fact that Marvel would probably never consider any writer who actually has some great stories that don't involve lame PR stunts or their own pathetic agendas.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

It's inevitable... and only a matter of time.

When Hulk/Bruce Banner return...

Not sure.Probably when people get enough of Cho Hulk which wont last more then 2 years IMO. Maybe when Thor:Ragnarok Movie comes out or is close to come out, Banner would probably come back and could have some team up with Thor instead of standard and boring Hulk vs Thor thing.

Who do you want to see write the character?

Mark Waid.

Which artist(s) would you like to have take a shot a the Green Goliath?

Romita Jr. (not a fan of I love him as Hulk artist).

And what direction would you like the series and the character take?

I think it would be interesting to see like, it all happens with Hulk's mind,where he sees all possible incarantions of the Hulk and Banner tries to fight for hims main personality (and Hulk's). AN dwe see even worse (more evil) Hulk the Maestro. Maybe a few flashbacks with Banner's father (I like that,I know a lot of people don't care about it). And in the end we can have like one Hulk that is actually the combination of all possible personalities and he is like as strong as Hulk can be. Even tho I would keep that for one story since having like Galaxy buster for whole series would led to yu asking yourself "what to do with him" (like when Marvel didn't know waht to do with Sentry).

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm I would like them to explore the personas. They can even tie it to Maestro saying he won the battle out of all of them.

Chichen_Nuggeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probalby Waid or still Pak

Alex Ross, Simon Bisley or Alex Horley.

I feel we didnt get enough looks intO the "worldbreaker" persona.

so i suppose something like being sent to the furthest edges of the universe to stay on an indestructible planet and be the vanguard against threats that come from beyond (he gets an amp before he ever gets sent here).

Because as it is every time he shows up in comics nowadays he just feels weaker than he should be, this might be due to the fact that he pretty much outclasses most heroes.

I also feel that the hulk needs more speed feats, it's already established that he is fast (able to blitz low level speedsters) and yet the scans are considered stupid because hull is "slow"

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why some think Mark Waid would do any better a second time with Hulk/Banner, I'll never know or understand. Don't get me wrong, you're all entitled to your choices and opinions. But I, and many others, would prefer he never touches the Hulk/Banner character again. Same goes for Jason Aaron.

Keep them away from Banner/Hulk.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are some of my own personal ideas, concepts and stories that I would explore if I were writing Hulk/Banner. It would have been most welcome if writers had bothered to explore this kind of territory with Banner/Hulk. Unfortunately, for us fans/readers, Marvel and most of their writers are more interested in pushing political, racial, religious, sexual preference or sexual gender based PR stunts than actually telling entertaining, solid works of fiction that further progress incredible characters that have existed anywhere from 40-70+ years in comics.

Nevertheless, I shall go forth and discuss some things of which I firmly believe would make for some very interesting and extremely engaging Hulk/Banner stories.

*I've always been interested in the Oldstrong Shadow People since their introduction in Greg Pak's epic PLANET HULK. However, even after all these years, we still know very little about the race. All we truly know about the Shadow People is this:

1) They're nomadic and traverse across the universe/multiverse, but have inhabited countless worlds as well

2) They're one of the oldest races in the universe

3) They're one of the most physically, spiritually/mystical and technologically advanced races in the universe

4) The Old Power, which they created long ago, is both cosmic, mystical and scientific in nature (I can state several instances/feats to prove it)

Personally, I would like to be given the chance to explore this unique race and their culture further. I wish see worlds ruled by the Shadow People, while also witness nomadic Shadow People who traverse the universe healing/restoring worlds with the Old Power. I also think it would be cool to see the elders of their race, the Oldstrong Masters, who would be portrayed as having such power & wisdom that they're comparable to the likes of Odin and other Skyfathers.

There has yet to be consequences for Skaar and Hiro-Kala's actions that involved Skaar utilizing the Old Power to drive Galactus mad with hunger which resulted in the destruction of several worlds ruled by the Shadow People and the subsequent poisoning of Galactus by Hiro-Kala that also destroyed a world. It would be interesting if the Shadow People abducted Skaar and Kate Waynesboro (who would be acting as surrogate mother to him), who are then put on trial for the crimes that resulted in not only in Sakaar's destruction but other worlds as well. This would cause Hulk/Banner to venture off into space, pursuing the Shadow People to one of their worlds where he would seek to protect Skaar & Kate while also facing off against one or all of the powerful Oldstrong Masters.

This is just one of the many premises/ideas/potential stories that I have fabricated. And it does fit into an incredibly MASSIVE story/saga. When I stated I had anywhere from 40-50+ story arches for Hulk/Banner planned (not counting two spin-off series), I wasn't joking.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for jaxthejester_2014
    jaxthejester_2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Hulk get a cosmic run. Team him up with a group like Guardians or have him hitch a ride with Surfer or Adam Warlock for a bit. He could play a role akin to Drax and there are plenty of cosmic killers in the galaxy for him to play with. A Hulk vs. Champion fight would be great fun.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

I'd just like to see the Banner Hulk basically reclaim his comic, really. Amadeus is cool, but for me he was cool when he was the kid genius nobody seemed to take seriously until he had basically dismantled their plans/etc. He was his own character, having developed from his experiences with Hulk and Hercules. Making him become a replacement Hulk kinda deflated (IMO) what made him cool and unique.

I'd like to see Bruce return to life... Hulking and being the headliner of his comic, and maybe... consolation prize... kick the crap out of everyone who basically (AGAIN) tried and convicted him... only this time without much shred of evidence except for some kid's possibly manipulated future visions. Maybe have him, in a fit of justified gamma rage caused by the betrayal of those who he trusted... end up killing/maiming Hawkeye while we're at it. At the very least crushing Clint's hands/arms... give him much more than a slap on the wrist for killing Bruce. Banner made the agreement with Clint, not the Hulk... and the Hulk probably won't forgive.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when the hulk returns, i want marvel to marvel to make a darker tone of hulk comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.