Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Whats your favourite era of Hulk?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Bezza

Poll Whats your favourite era of Hulk? (25 votes)

Silver Age (62-70) 4%
    Bronze Age (70-85) 0%
    Peter David era (80s to late 90s) 28%
    Planet Hulk and Grek Pak era 60%
    Mark Waid current era 12%

...Just wondering which era Hulk fans like best....

• 
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bezza

Oops, posted twice, apologies, I got a "404" error and didn't think it had posted,

Avatar image for worldbreakerhulk
    worldbreakerhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just look at this, my friends. Odin's beard.......all voting for planet hulk era. Bring back grek pak..

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#3  Edited By Extremis

I voted current era because I'm a fan of the dichotomy of Banner and Hulk that Waid has highlighted. Plus, I'm fairly new to Hulk but I have read some Pak and David stuff too.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Never been much of a Hulk fan. But I loved Planet Hulk regardless. Read a lot of the Peter David Hulk stuff at one point. It was ok. Enjoyed Waid's run a great deal when Yu and Scalera were on art.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Greg Pak, Peter David, and Bill Mantlo.

Those are my favorites.

'Nuff said.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read any David Hulk yet, I am a bit off by the whole "professor hulk" thing...for me its Grek Pak.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bezza

@theacidskull:

Well, I am continually on the look out for the "hulk visionary" books. I got one through the post today, for John Byrne's run...so I will look out for a Peter David one too. There are 7 volumes I believe, could you recommend a really good one (one without the professor if poss!!).

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bezza

@theacidskull:

Ok, as you were right about Mantlo, I trust your judgement on all things Hulk and will give it a try, so do you say just buy Volume 1 of the David Hulk visionary books? I have been looking out for a cheap copy of Crossroads on Ebay or Amazon, but none have come up yet...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bezza

@theacidskull:

I will get onto it! I like biding my time and buying "as new" copies for buttons. Paid less than a fiver for my copy of past perfect - bargain! I am building up quite a nice Hulk library now, with 10 graphic novels in it covering Mantlo to Pak.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@greenscar1990 said:

Greg Pak, Peter David, and Bill Mantlo.

Those are my favorites.

'Nuff said.

Avatar image for verotikryptonite
    Verotikryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David's run is the best followed by Pak and Jenkins

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hands down Planet Hulk!

I must ask though, was there a reason the LOEB and ED MCGUINNESS era from 2008-2013 was not included? the Red Hulk story Arch was my second fav for sure. On many other forums and articles about Hulk the Red Hulk Story arch is considered some of the best writing in Hulks history. Again I prefer Pak's Planet Hulk but Loeb's Red hulk arch is a close second.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@canuckdad: Jeph Loeb wasn't writing Hulk but Red Hulk. Those are 2 different characters, one is Bruce Banner and the other one is Thaddeus Thunderbolt, Betty Ross's father.

Regardless, the best writing came from Peter David, his character development and consistency with portrayal was exceptional, let alone creating a concept other writers took as a way to widen Hulk's character spectrum. Followed closely by Greg Pak with Planet Hulk and Incredible Hulks issues. Personally, i really liked Mark Waid's run, i loved the fact he focused more on Banner than Hulk yet didn't fail to write the Green Goliath as the true powerhouse he is.

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canuckdad: Jeph Loeb wasn't writing Hulk but Red Hulk. Those are 2 different characters, one is Bruce Banner and the other one is Thaddeus Thunderbolt, Betty Ross's father.

Regardless, the best writing came from Peter David, his character development and consistency with portrayal was exceptional, let alone creating a concept other writers took as a way to widen Hulk's character spectrum. Followed closely by Greg Pak with Planet Hulk and Incredible Hulks issues. Personally, i really liked Mark Waid's run, i loved the fact he focused more on Banner than Hulk yet didn't fail to write the Green Goliath as the true powerhouse he is.

oh trust me after 30+ years of reading Hulk I absolutely understand that Hulk and Red hulk are two different characters. I guess to me this was still a story about the big green guy. In the end it was all about Hulk defeating Rulk. Although most may not include the Red Hulk story arch with the Hulk story lines I sure do. Hulk was in those comics almost as much as Rulk lol. But yeah if your not including the Rulk story then Peter David is second on my list. I have been a Hulk fan since I was a kid and I ma 41 now bit Peter David is the man that really got me sucked in and Pak was simply a God to me .

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@canuckdad: Fair enough. I thought you were confused because Greg Pak actually wrote Red Hulk's tie in issues which really touched Hulk's character as both Banner and Hulk. Jeph Loeb focused on developing Red Hulk and his relationship with other characters as well as him discovering his potential since he was a new compound in the mix.

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canuckdad: Fair enough. I thought you were confused because Greg Pak actually wrote Red Hulk's tie in issues which really touched Hulk's character as both Banner and Hulk. Jeph Loeb focused on developing Red Hulk and his relationship with other characters as well as him discovering his potential since he was a new compound in the mix.

ghostravage how do you feel about Totally Awesome Hulk? I really didnt think I would like it but I have actually come to LOVE it.. I feel its fresh and new yet seems to pull me back to my early Hulk fan days.. Love watching the Big guy beat down monsters. I also have come to love how Cho enjoys being the Hulk. I feel the Cho Hulk is exciting and fun. not as gloomy. I get the same feeling reading TAH as I did reading Planet Hulk just turned down a few levels .

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canuckdad: How much did they pay you to "LOVE" TAH ?!?!?! Just kidding you have the right to like it, I'm just being an ahole :p

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schwarz: lol yep some will love it some will hate it. Trust me I was shocked how much I love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.