• 143 results
Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@theacidskull: Jesus Christ, Immortal Hulk has been drawn as freaking massive by Bennet and he is literally dwarfed by WWHulk? Holy shit. God I love this book.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@kgb725 said:
@underfire47 said:
@medulaoblaganda said:

I don't get it why some of you hate this comic issue. Its one of the best comic our there to be honest. I actually want to see Hulk and peter team up comic.

A point that everyone has missed. When Hulk reveals he knows Spider-Man's secret identity [1], it means he was not affected by the effects of One More Day i.e. Mephisto saving Aunt May in exchange for wiping out all traces of Peter Parker and Mary Jane's relationship and marriage [2], it means Hulk and Mephisto are the only people who know that Peter Parker and Mary Jane were married and it shows how powerful Hulk's demon (TOBA) is confirming what Mephisto said previously. The continuity is excellent here, which is not always the case in modern comics.

IF they want a way to get Peter and MJW back, this is how they open the door. It would make for a fantastic story. There's great chemistry between Hulk/Banner and Spider-Man.

Immortal Hulk: Great Power (2020)

Hulk "You made everyone forget who you are. Banner forgot. But I don't forget.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Spider-Man. One More Day (2007)

No Caption Provided

Defenders. The Best Defense (2018)

Mephisto "The devil in him is far stronger than I am."

No Caption Provided

People hate it, because it has several inconsistencies, it's poorly paced and it has almost NOTHING to do with Immortal Hulk, who was barely in it at all.

Also seeing as TOBA was NOT inside Hulk when Mephisto made everyone forget about Peter Parker, that means that Hulk not forgetting about it is probably PIS, as in bad writing.

Cant be bad writing because this happened before. Sentry mind wiped the entire planet into forgetting his existence and Hulk still remembered

It just baffles me they call hulk feat PIS but if Thor was in this position where Thor didn't forget about Sentry, they won't call it PIS but because its Hulk they call it PIS. If its superman they won't call it PIS too. Human beings though

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle123axe said:

I've been waiting for some Green Scar Devil hulk encounter this whole series. if that pic is a preview of what's to come i'm incredibly exciting.

The preview for the next issue is also perfect too. Al nailed Xemnu.

It seems like it's indeed a teaser for whats to come, i literally can't wait... someone build a time machine.

yup

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been waiting for some Green Scar Devil hulk encounter this whole series. if that pic is a preview of what's to come i'm incredibly exciting.

The preview for the next issue is also perfect too. Al nailed Xemnu.

I believe the battle between both of them might be happening in Banners mind.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#105  Edited By theacidskull

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@theacidskull: Jesus Christ, Immortal Hulk has been drawn as freaking massive by Bennet and he is literally dwarfed by WWHulk? Holy shit. God I love this book.

Dude, I'm not even sure where he fits in size wise at this point. We know Devil Hulk is literally much larger than the Thing, who's about classic Savage Hulk's size.

Avatar image for worldbreakerhulk
worldbreakerhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know and remember that Green Scar is the strongest there is. The heroic one!

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Underfire47  Online

Dude, I'm not even sure where he fits in size wise at this point. We know Devil Hulk is literally much larger than the Thing, who's about classic Savage Hulk's size.

Many people don't know but Green Scar was much larger than regular Hulks, he was a real monster.

No Caption Provided

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Devil Hulk just acknowledge Savage Hulk being stronger than him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underfire47: idk if that’s an accurate size chart imho, Savage Hulk/Immortal Hulk look much bigger than what that chart suggests (so does WWHulk) but it still illustrates the point that Green Scar is a walking freaking mammoth compared to the other Hulks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: it’s insane, I cannot wait to see that confrontation. If Ewing handles it as well as he does everything else it might be the highlight of the run so far.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By christianrapper

@christianrapper: You are a pretty well known hulk hater on this site so it is not a wonder most people her don't want to take you seriously or are suspicious of your comments.

i don't hate the hulk. he is one of my favorite characters. it makes no sense to me that people think that I hate a character because I don't think that he can beat superman or dc power houses that match him in strength but are immensely faster than him. that's battle forum stuff. this isn't the battle forum i have always loved the hulk. this run is one of my favorites. i love when the hulk is mart and can hold a conversation. do you think that they will keep him smart?

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Immortal Hulk acknowledges Savage Hulk is stronger than him?

Does that mean Savage Hulk would also stomp Thor with a single hit?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@takenstew22: @medulaoblaganda: I think Devil/Immortal Hulk is saying that Savage Hulk is stronger than him before the sun sets. He's strongest at night time and aside from General Fortean's statement about Savage Hulk being stronger for no real reason, Devil seems to be considered stronger than Savage.

Also Green Scar looks like a chad next to Devil Hulk and he's freaking massive as well.

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Underfire47  Online

@underfire47: idk if that’s an accurate size chart imho, Savage Hulk/Immortal Hulk look much bigger than what that chart suggests (so does WWHulk) but it still illustrates the point that Green Scar is a walking freaking mammoth compared to the other Hulks.

That literally depends from artist to artist, for instance when Hulk came back as Zombie Hulk and fought Cable and others in Uncanny Avengers he was about 15 feet tall for no real reason, these numbers are suppose to represent the size of the character but not many artist stick to it.

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Underfire47  Online
@christianrapper said:
@theoriginalone said:

@christianrapper: You are a pretty well known hulk hater on this site so it is not a wonder most people her don't want to take you seriously or are suspicious of your comments.

i don't hate the hulk. he is one of my favorite characters. it makes no sense to me that people think that I hate a character because I don't think that he can beat superman or dc power houses that match him in strength but are immensely faster than him. that's battle forum stuff. this isn't the battle forum i have always loved the hulk. this run is one of my favorites. i love when the hulk is mart and can hold a conversation. do you think that they will keep him smart?

This is bullshit, it would actually make sense if you didn't employ the same reasoning for when Superman faces someone like WBH who dwarfs Superman in power and where no amount of speed Superman has can cope with the sheer power or gamma burst Hulk has, also speed isn't even the end all be all of everything as we have seen time and time again when Superman and others have been beaten by slower opponents. Now once again, get your discount DC ass out of this thread.

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Underfire47  Online
@lvenger said:

@takenstew22: @medulaoblaganda: I think Devil/Immortal Hulk is saying that Savage Hulk is stronger than him before the sun sets. He's strongest at night time and aside from General Fortean's statement about Savage Hulk being stronger for no real reason, Devil seems to be considered stronger than Savage.

Also Green Scar looks like a chad next to Devil Hulk and he's freaking massive as well.

Yea what Lvenger said, he was talking about before the night sets. I think Fortean was spinning his own theory in his head, thinking that Savage Hulk can get angrier therefore he is stronger, because Devil Hulk can't get TOO angry otherwise he turns to Savage Hulk, but than Devil Hulk surprises him by showing that he can get pretty angry and still stay in control.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underfire47: you’re right, spoke too soon. But man I freaking love how massive Bennet draws Green Scar/The Hulk in General.

Ed McGuinness, Paul Pelletier, Lienel Yu and Joe Bennet are all top tier “recent” ish Hulk artists who draw/drew him exactly how I want him to be drawn.

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Underfire47  Online

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Oh yea i love the way Bennet draws him, he is massive and looks very creepy, very fitting for this Hulk in particular.

My favorite other artist is definitely Paul Pelletien i mean he drew the perfect Hulk IMO, that stuff was straight up iconic

No Caption Provided

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By theacidskull

What an incredible issue. Xemnu was eerie as hell, and the fact that Savage Hulk suddenly came back to center stage was amazing. I love how every personality plays a part in this. For once, the literal "Hulk" feels like a complete character. It's not just Banner, it's not just "The Big Guy," it's everyone playing a part in a continuous story, and we openly acknowledge that some incarnations are even dormant.

I really wanna give Ewing props for this - It's incredibly difficult to write such a multi-faced character so fluidly yet make it feel consistent. Also, I'm glad we're finally getting a measuring curve for where the hulk's stand in terms of intelligence and power. Devil Hulk is stronger, but only during night time. When it's the day, Savage Hulk can openly keep him at bay and stay in control, especially if Devil Hulk gets hurt (or I assume, when he gets angry.)

It seems that "Anger" is primarily Savage Hulk's territory no matter who's in control, and I absolutely love that. I love his attitude as well. He's not an idiot, he's just a kid, but he knows that humanity will turn against him no matter what happens - he's seen it happen so many times by now that he doesn't even bother. Goes straight to the "save through smashing." He's also the only one to see right through Xemnu.

That said, Devil Hulk is still top dog at night, which makes sense given he's the "darkest" aspect of Banner. Night, after all, is his time.

I wonder how that dynamic will change when Devil grows stronger during the day. It seems that Banner is not as comfortable with showcasing his dark side to the world (daylight), but him being able to exist during the day is still a bad sign.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underfire47: all 4 of the guys I mentioned just add so much weight, mass and power to the character. He just seems so immense and powerful like he genuinely is a world breaker/sun lifter/immovable object/etc.

Ahhhhh I love that shot, that was Pelletier’s best piece of Hulk art throughout his run. I think Ed McGuinness overall is my favourite Hulk artist of all time but Paul without question is in the top 5. And if we go back in time, Jack the king Kirby, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, Dale Keown and Gary Frank all drew phenomenal Hulk’s.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering how xemnus tp would play in, and the way it did was completely fantastic. Such a fantastic issue of insight into the internals of the hulk ecosystem whilst keeping up the plot and action, as well as the various plot lines advanced. The ground shifting plot line was also glorious with how it played out. One of my favorite issues of the whole thing and this kind of stuff is prime Immortal Hulk.

Also to input in the artist convo Paul Pelletier is in my opinion the best hulk artist alive, he had a long run on one of my favorite runs ever (IH might be better as a mythos redefiner though but hulk I’m my opinion did his best meaningful smashing and there was the most modern worldbuilding in Paks run), and his art is also to me the most crisp and properly scaled. Joe mcG is a close second for me but his work is just a little less refined. Keown is after Mcguinness, but only die to his small modern portfolio with hulk. Joe Bennett is the best and most consistent since paks era though and draws the most imposing yet emotional hulk ever in my opinion.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underfire47: you’re right, spoke too soon. But man I freaking love how massive Bennet draws Green Scar/The Hulk in General.

Ed McGuinness, Paul Pelletier, Lienel Yu and Joe Bennet are all top tier “recent” ish Hulk artists who draw/drew him exactly how I want him to be drawn.

Yeah, I agree. For instance, look at someone like Steve Dillon and suddenly Hulk looks like a standard green man, but I think that point is that Green Scar really is much bigger and stronger than the others.

And mine is Joe Bennet. I'm a sucker for horror and it wasn't hard for him to become my top man, but for action scenes, Ed McGuinness and Paul Pelletier are a bit more dynamic.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it seems like only before the son sets of though according to your scan. I need to read this in context. can’t wait to see where this goes.

No Caption Provided

Devil Hulk just acknowledge Savage Hulk being stronger than him.

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Underfire47  Online
Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Underfire47  Online

What an incredible issue. Xemnu was eerie as hell, and the fact that Savage Hulk suddenly came back to center stage was amazing. I love how every personality plays a part in this. For once, the literal "Hulk" feels like a complete character. It's not just Banner, it's not just "The Big Guy," it's everyone playing a part in a continuous story, and we openly acknowledge that some incarnations are even dormant.

I really wanna give Ewing props for this - It's incredibly difficult to write such a multi-faced character so fluidly yet make it feel consistent. Also, I'm glad we're finally getting a measuring curve for where the hulk's stand in terms of intelligence and power. Devil Hulk is stronger, but only during night time. When it's the day, Savage Hulk can openly keep him at bay and stay in control, especially if Devil Hulk gets hurt (or I assume, when he gets angry.)

It seems that "Anger" is primarily Savage Hulk's territory no matter who's in control, and I absolutely love that. I love his attitude as well. He's not an idiot, he's just a kid, but he knows that humanity will turn against him no matter what happens - he's seen it happen so many times by now that he doesn't even bother. Goes straight to the "save through smashing." He's also the only one to see right through Xemnu.

That said, Devil Hulk is still top dog at night, which makes sense given he's the "darkest" aspect of Banner. Night, after all, is his time.

I wonder how that dynamic will change when Devil grows stronger during the day. It seems that Banner is not as comfortable with showcasing his dark side to the world (daylight), but him being able to exist during the day is still a bad sign.

I don't think any other writer including PAD have explored the Dissociative identity disorder quite as well as Ewing has and he isn't even finished yet as we know more Hulks will pop out like Green Scar, he definitely puts a lot of care into what he is doing. Every alter/personality has it's own role, it's own strength and weaknesses that's just perfect.

Yea it also seems that Devil Hulk isn't at his full strength yet even at night because him and Banner still aren't working 100% well with one another, Banner is trusting him more which is why he can appear during the day(at least during cloudy/rainy days) but for Devil Hulk to be at his ABSOLUTE BEST, Banner needs to fully trust him.

@underfire47: all 4 of the guys I mentioned just add so much weight, mass and power to the character. He just seems so immense and powerful like he genuinely is a world breaker/sun lifter/immovable object/etc.

Ahhhhh I love that shot, that was Pelletier’s best piece of Hulk art throughout his run. I think Ed McGuinness overall is my favourite Hulk artist of all time but Paul without question is in the top 5. And if we go back in time, Jack the king Kirby, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, Dale Keown and Gary Frank all drew phenomenal Hulk’s.

I mean there have been such great Hulk artist throughout the ages, each brought their own flavor to the unique, i think Bennet is clearly the best when it comes to horror but i did like more Ed and Paul were more action oriented and it shows in the scenes they drew as they had a lot more weight, while Joe focuses more on body horror and close ups.

I was wondering how xemnus tp would play in, and the way it did was completely fantastic. Such a fantastic issue of insight into the internals of the hulk ecosystem whilst keeping up the plot and action, as well as the various plot lines advanced. The ground shifting plot line was also glorious with how it played out. One of my favorite issues of the whole thing and this kind of stuff is prime Immortal Hulk.

Also to input in the artist convo Paul Pelletier is in my opinion the best hulk artist alive, he had a long run on one of my favorite runs ever (IH might be better as a mythos redefiner though but hulk I’m my opinion did his best meaningful smashing and there was the most modern worldbuilding in Paks run), and his art is also to me the most crisp and properly scaled. Joe mcG is a close second for me but his work is just a little less refined. Keown is after Mcguinness, but only die to his small modern portfolio with hulk. Joe Bennett is the best and most consistent since paks era though and draws the most imposing yet emotional hulk ever in my opinion.

I think the Xemnu TP stuff played out perfectly, it wasn't your outright TP/mental attack, he was subtly and slowly shifting everyone consciousness without them realizing into thinking he is the only and original Hulk, while Banner Hulk is just some monster that isn't even named the Hulk. That panel where Devil Hulk asks "what is a Hulk?" was brilliant i loved it.

Yea Paul is my favorite too, especially when it comes to action. When his Green Scar appeared the world would literally shake.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Underfire47  Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: exactly, Dillon was a phenomenal Punisher artist but his Hulk just wasn’t it.

Yeah I get that, Bennet is absolutely phenomenal. No one does that horror stuff like he can. I’m a sucker for bombast and “kirby”ish thickness, cartoon physics and weight when it comes to art and I feel Ed brings that in spades (also kinda grew up with his Superman and Hulk) so it’s very nostalgic at the same time. Looooove Paul and Yu as well. They’re all great, if those 4 were a rotating cast of artist it might be the most spoiled book on the stands lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underfire47: They definitely each have their strengths and I think that’s what makes them unique and better in their own ways. Paul killed it during his run tho, it’s a shame he never got a project like that again. He did some great Aquaman stuff but it seems like post that he hasn’t been given the chance to shine like he did for Hulk and Aquaman.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Underfire47  Online
Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Underfire47  Online

@underfire47: They definitely each have their strengths and I think that’s what makes them unique and better in their own ways. Paul killed it during his run tho, it’s a shame he never got a project like that again. He did some great Aquaman stuff but it seems like post that he hasn’t been given the chance to shine like he did for Hulk and Aquaman.

Yea, i always wondered what happened to him, his Hulk run was amazing, he was really good on massive scale action and collateral damage. I dunno if he still does work but would love to see him back on the Hulk some day.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, i always wondered what happened to him, his Hulk run was amazing, he was really good on massive scale action and collateral damage. I dunno if he still does work but would love to see him back on the Hulk some day.

Paul, Ed, Joe, and Keown for me would be a friggin phenomenal rotating cast for a hulk series, my dream hulk thing is a Batman/Detective comics or Amazing/Friendly neighborhood spidey situation where Al handles the main series and Pak and PAD cowrite a more "side" series, Joe for the art for the main, and a rtating cast of Ed, Paul and Dale Keown for the side.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who do you all think should write Hulk after Al Ewing is done with the Hulk?

ascellarux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of current Marvel writers, either Taylor or Zdarsky.

ascellarux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just caught up to issue #31 today.

Another great issue, Ewing is on a hot streak! It's always great to see the long-forgotten character getting some spotlight. Utilizing Xemnu was a brilliant move, a terrifying aura, and the mystical vibe makes him ideally suited for a book of this kind. Mind-altering sequence was just perfect, at first I couldn't even realize what happened because it was so goddamnly executed in a latent manner, but after rereading things became obvious, and like damn, it really took my breath away. Also noticed that Savage Hulk happened to be aware of Xemnu's hypnosis unlike the Devil Hulk himself, which is an impressive feat from the battle forum perspective, given the mystic senses IH has showcased. How is Hulk going to flip the script? Dunno, but I'm pretty positive that the next issue is going to be much more entertaining than this one.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of current Marvel writers, either Taylor or Zdarsky.

@medulaoblaganda said:

I don't know them. What comics have the written that wowed you?

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Underfire47  Online

I'd like to see Snyder write it, he has expressed great interest but he is exclusive to DC for now, other than that maybe Spencer or Zdarsky but i am not really sold on any Marvel writer nowadays. Aaron, Waid, Taylor should stay far away. And while at some point i would have liked to see Cates on the book after seeing what he did with current Thor i'd rather pass on him.

Hyoname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison on hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Snyder would be a great follow up, he brings massive star power but he’s also expressed very big interest in taking over a Hulk title with Greg Capullo and specifically doing a story called “Hulk Smash Everything or Everyone” and it’s supposed to WWHulk on steroids or smth along those lines.

Morrison would be a dream but I doubt that’ll ever happen.

Geoff Johns would also be cool, he’s shared a multitude of time’s that Hulk is his favourite Marvel hero and that he’d love to do a Hulk run with Gary Frank.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Snyder would be an excellent follow up, he brings massive star power, but he's also expressed very big interest in taking over a Hulk title with Greg Capullo and specifically doing a story called "Hulk Smash Everything or Everyone" and it's supposed to WWHulk on steroids or smth along those lines.

Morrison would be a dream but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Geoff Johns would also be cool, he's shared a multitude of time's that Hulk is his favourite Marvel hero and that he'd love to do a Hulk run with Gary Frank.

Honestly, I hope we don't go down another "Hulk smash everything" path because we've gotten that multiple times in the past decade. Don't get me wrong, brutal fight sequences with Snyder and Capullo sound awesome, but I hope it's more against Hulk's actual enemies than going down the "Hulk Vs. Avengers/X-men/Fantastic Four" path. We've seen it. We know how those usually go, for the most part. Again, Scott Snyder sounds interesting (and Jesus, Capullo would be insane), but he does like his "MEGA EVENTS." In contrast, I really like the more self-contained nature of Immortal Hulk as it allows Ewing to carve out Hulk's place further in the current MCU.

Geoff Johns, I'm a bit worried about it. I haven't read much of his stuff but I hear Geoffcon being tossed around frequently. And Morrison, the mad lad, I'm always down for whatever weird shit he's got going on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I think it’d be cool to see as either an out of continuity tale or even a high profile event. We haven’t really seen smth like that to the scale and intensity since WWHulk, but I understand your point in that it’s retreading old ground. It might just be Hulk carving a path of destruction through the entire MU not just the heroes. Capullo would draw a killer Hulk no question. Immortal Hulk is a one in a million book, the stars aligned completely on that one. It’s a hell of a beautiful story being told.

I don’t really wanna get into a whole retcon debate, but fans especially on this site tend to complain about retcons being made when it doesn’t suit the narrative they want, but when it does they’re fine (for example Ewing altering Hulk’s origin vs Aaron altering Mjolnir’s origin, both serve the same purpose to enrich the story the author is telling the difference is that everyone on this site has a hate boner for Aaron, Cates is entire Venom run is a mad retcon and no one cares, Brubaker retconned the shit out of Bucky and no one cared, so on and so forth). Are all of Johns retcons necessary and good? No, but are some of them enriching and fantastic? Yes. Seeing as how he’s a massive Hulk nerd/fan I think he’d treat the material well. On Morrison I agree, I’d love for him to dive deep into the MU and just give us anything he has to offer it’s just unlikely he’d do Hulk imo. Morrison seems more likely to do The F4, Silver Surfer/Guardians, Dr Strange and Avengers if he were to become a Marvel guy (he’s already done X-Men).

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I think it’d be cool to see as either an out of continuity tale or even a high profile event. We haven’t really seen smth like that to the scale and intensity since WWHulk, but I understand your point in that it’s retreading old ground. It might just be Hulk carving a path of destruction through the entire MU not just the heroes. Capullo would draw a killer Hulk no question. Immortal Hulk is a one in a million book, the stars aligned completely on that one. It’s a hell of a beautiful story being told.

I don’t really wanna get into a whole retcon debate, but fans especially on this site tend to complain about retcons being made when it doesn’t suit the narrative they want, but when it does they’re fine (for example Ewing altering Hulk’s origin vs Aaron altering Mjolnir’s origin, both serve the same purpose to enrich the story the author is telling the difference is that everyone on this site has a hate boner for Aaron, Cates is entire Venom run is a mad retcon and no one cares, Brubaker retconned the shit out of Bucky and no one cared, so on and so forth). Are all of Johns retcons necessary and good? No, but are some of them enriching and fantastic? Yes. Seeing as how he’s a massive Hulk nerd/fan I think he’d treat the material well. On Morrison I agree, I’d love for him to dive deep into the MU and just give us anything he has to offer it’s just unlikely he’d do Hulk imo. Morrison seems more likely to do The F4, Silver Surfer/Guardians, Dr Strange and Avengers if he were to become a Marvel guy (he’s already done X-Men).

I actually relate to the Aaron related stuff because he, within 15 issues, undid everything Pak did with Hulk and generally seems to do as he likes with the characters that are given to him. As for Thor, I'm not sure if that was even motivated by Aaron (or the marvel editorial higher-ups) but the circumstances of Thor's unworthiness were hilariously bad, at least IMO. Donny Cates is literally undoing everything Bendis did with the "space police Klyntar" nonsense, taking a turn to the more horror/somber tone of the Venom character, which just fits better with everything we've seen Venom, Carnage and a bunch of other symbiotes do.

Again, I understand that these things are subjective, but I'm of the opinion that a GOOD retcon makes sense within the context of the character, it's lore and essence. It builds off what already exists, adding just enough to recontextualize what we already understand. Every decision Ewing has made has respected everything the Hulk stands for, which I agree that is definitely a "stars aligning perfectly" situation, but all I'm saying is that there are versions of retconning something that goes against everything that has come before it. Even forcing small things doesn't work if's not a cog in a larger framework. A good example is The Indestructible Hulk, which was a good idea, but it was just that, an idea.

I cannot speak for Geoff Johns, but I trust what you say though, being a fan of the character definitely helps, and if Geoff is a huge Hulk nerd I'm sure he'd be a good person to take over. That said, I hope going forward writers do take advantage of the multiple personality aspect more because honestly, it's basically a gift card to leaving your permanent mark on the character - where writers falter is when they start retreading old grounds without adding something new. Like Doc Green, who was basically professor Hulk. Even Mark Waid's idea about Banner becoming his own separate man was literally already done by Pak, to which Indestructible could have been the natural evolution for.

As for Morrison, I think now especially I would love to see what he'd come up with since Al Ewing is as close as Hulk's ever been to Morrison level of weird. In fact, if not for Immortal, I could even see Mirroson at least channeling the same kind of mystic vibe for his version of the Hulk - quickly finding that sweet spot between science and magic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.