Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

The Immortal Hulk - 2019

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@medulaoblaganda: Joe Bennett(the artist for Immortal Hulk), posts them on his facebook.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By IntoTheVoid
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Even more of Bennetts great art.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

benetts draw dr Samson brilliantly too

PlatinumThorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By PlatinumThorns

Immortal Hulk #13 preview: https://comicsverse.com/immortal-hulk-13-preview/

Wrath of God.

Edit: Also something I missed for the power scalers to take note of, the One-Above-All mentioned that he was "all-powerful" while TOBA here says "I have all the power you give me.", meaning it likely grows more powerful on hate similar in way to Mangog.

Avatar image for adm1ralsnackbar
    Adm1ralSnackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@platinumthorns: Some of the monsters look like Pop Culture references too. Like the mutant from Robocop

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Man, this just keeps getting more and more interesting. Bring on zombie A-bomb!

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adm1ralsnackbar: That's literally what i first thought, although he wasn't a mutant, he just got hit by boilling water or some other liquid that melted his skin and Robocop ran him over with his car.

Bennett does a lot of references to Evil Dead, The Thing, Blob, etc... in his art.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@intothevoid: wow I mean wow the art looks 10 times better in this issue .

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By IntoTheVoid
    Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the hell is the Hulk still slim? I thought he must have regain back his normal body size.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@medulaoblaganda: He regains his normal size during this issue, this is just a preview showing the first few pages.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@intothevoid: Ah! Finally. After this issue, I can't wait to see his friendship between him and Doc Samson. Its going to be a great issue.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: I totally agree with you. I don't mind him featuring in Hulk comics all the time. Hulk needs Samson for real

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 thedailybagel  Moderator
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: I don't get it. You mean Hulk will drain Rick to let Rick get his power back? Rick is dead bro

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: I don't get it. You mean Hulk will drain Rick to let Rick get his power back? Rick is dead bro

.................... He is talking about Hulk draining Rick for Hulk to get his powers back and his full muscular body, not the skinny body that he has now.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 thedailybagel  Moderator
    PlatinumThorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Looks like Betty might become Harpy again?

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks awesome and horrifying. I am really glad Betty is getting her Harpy look back, with updated horror aspect. It makes her more unique then when she was just another She-Hulk, except red.

Al and Joe are having some amazing ideas with this book.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An interview Al did with NOIR comics

#NOiR 's Exclusive Interview with Al Ewing, writer of Immortal #HULK

1.Immortal Hulk, the character spun out of Avengers No Surrender. Was this interpretation of the Hulk conceived
    prior to the character's 'death' at the hands of Clint Barton? Or did Marvel approach you about it with regards
    to reviving Bruce?

I think it was generally understood that Bruce would be back, but in what form he'd be back definitely wasn't decided before Hawkeye shot him. Once it became clear that his resurrection was on the table for NO SURRENDER to do - and that we needed to think of a way to play it that was different to the false resurrections that had come immediately before - I started pushing for the horror angle. And I think there was an agreement at Marvel editorial that a horror direction was the way to go - that said, I still had to prove that I was the person to deliver it, writing-wise. There was definitely competition for the job, right up until the second draft of the pitch for the series.

2.Among collectors, much has been made about his first appearance. Just to reiterate, could you inform our readers
    what you consider to be the Immortal Hulk's first appearance?

Why, INCREDIBLE HULK #1, of course... but seriously, folks, I'd say AVENGERS #682 is the first appearance of the character, with the Immortal Hulk named and appearing on the final page. But that's just a taster, really - if you're looking for the first collaboration between Joe Bennett and myself - planting the first seeds of what we'd do in the series - that's two issues later, in AVENGERS #884, with the ten-pager we did together.

3.Jackie, who was introduced in issue one, has been an onlooker for the first two arcs. Without spoiling anything, there's
    a slight tease in the past three issues about why Jackie is interested in the Hulk. Has she come to terms with anything
    after her encounter with the One Below All? Or is she stubborn enough to keep digging?

Jackie takes a brief break from the narrative - going through literal Hell is enough to make her want a break, and she goes through some stuff there she needs to reflect on. So in some ways, she's working things out - but when a new lead turns up, a new angle on the story, she finds herself unable to stay away.

4.There are parallels with Bruce and his father, and Frye's relationship with his son.
    Dr. Frye has been a splash among collectors. Will we see his decapitated body again? And, what of his son?

Del Frye has been in the background for a while, in his tube - that's a subplot we'll keep brewing, I think. Dr. Frye, meanwhile, isn't going anywhere, and I'm still undecided as to whether we'll ever see him again...

5.Hell, Magic, Science. What inspired you to draw on these themes for Immortal Hulk and did you face any resistance
    about taking the character in this direction?

No resistance at all - editorial have consistently been great about it. I guess what inspired me was digging into quotes for the front pages of the book - we've ended up keeping that going instead of recap pages, because a) it's a sign we trust our readers, b) nobody else is doing it and c) it means I have to constantly do research outside of back issues of superhero comics, which was how I discovered Anna Kingsford, who's a fascinating character. I was already thinking in terms of religion - hell, the Devil, Job - but that really crystallized things and got me looking in the occult direction, too.

6.Will the One Below All ever meet the One Above All?

I'm not sure what that comic would even look like! I have to assume that they're always "meeting" in some sense. Maybe that's the plot of every Marvel comic!

7.What's your working relationship with Joe? I presume team Hulk is like an oiled machine by now.
    There's been a consistent effort to keep the creative team the same throughout both arcs. Will that remain
    the same moving forward? Any fill-ins?

We're going to carry on bringing special guests in when we need them - Issue #14 has a guest art appearance from Kyle Hotz, who delivers a fantastic issue set around the funeral of Thunderbolt Ross. I do think of our guest artists as guests rather than fill-ins - I think issue #3 really helped us in establishing that, and every time we need to bring a guest in, I try to make sure that it fits the story we're telling and it's artistically fantastic stuff. I want people to get excited about the guest artists, to look forward to them as a kind of art happening.

Joe's great, though - he's always asking for more grotesque and horrible things to draw, which is good, because it keeps the book in that horror zone where I think it needs to be. Plus we have the same taste in horror films - the Thing, the Blob, the Fly, etc - in fact, it was our mutual love of The Thing that made a lot of the body horror in the second trade happen. I'm really happy to see how many people are looking at him with fresh eyes now, after seeing what he can do when he lets his horror flag fly.

8.How long do you have Immortal Hulk mapped out for?

I've got it mapped out until #25, and I just worked out this week what #26 will probably look like. So I'm pretty far ahead.

9.What's been Marvel's response to the critical success of Immortal Hulk as it was on many best lists at the
    conclusion of 2018?

Marvel are very happy with the team right now! I think it's given us a very free hand to do what we think is best with the book - we've been able to keep it as its own thing, and while there are plenty of Hulk guest appearances to be found, there aren't any actual tie-ins to anything. So if you can only afford one and a half books per month, with the occasional extra-sized issue - well., that can be us.

10.Betty Ross returns to the pages of Hulk next month. From what I understand, Betty lost her abilities
    in 2014. On top of that, her father, Thunderbolt Ross just died. Will Betty play a role moving forward?
    Or will this be a standalone issue?

Betty is going to be playing a significant role moving forward - we're bringing her back into the cast for the foreseeable future. How that squares with her losing her powers, or General Ross' death - well, issue #14 will start to tell that story.

11.Will we see a return for Red Dog?

"Red Dog" was only ever a one-use codename - I had to roll my eyes slightly at places like CBR claiming this was a new status quo for the character. The Absorbing Man - that's his name, don't wear it out - will be back in future issues. Who will he be allied with? Will Titania be joining him? These are questions #13 starts to answer.

12.What's your response, to virtually every issue of Immortal Hulk going back to print?

I'm extremely happy about it! Hopefully we'll be printing more to match demand, but that area's completely outside my wheelhouse. I'm very glad it's doing well for retailers, though.

13.Have we seen the true face of the One Below All?

I don't think we've ever seen the true face of the One Below All OR the One Above All - and I'm not sure we ever will. I think they just "wear" an aspect for the occasion. That said, we do know that TOBA can only affect the world through a host personality - whether Brian will continue to act as his "face" after the events of #13 remains to be seen.

14.Outside of several one shots, you're currently working on Avengers No Road Home. Do you have any other
    ongoing work scheduled for Marvel?

I have more work scheduled - and soon to be announced, I'm sure. I'll let you know!

15.Does your Marvel contract allow you to do indepedent work? Is that something on the cards?

It does, and it is - again, right now it's top secret, but in the next few months you can probably expect something.

16.What's it like having Alex Ross grace your book's covers? Will Alex continue to do covers
    for the series throughout?

I very much hope so! From what I understand, he's a big fan of the Hulk, and he seems to be enjoying the work - he's certainly turning in some of the most phenomenal covers I've seen in a long while. I know we've got at least a few readers who only got started with the book because of his covers! Needless to say, I'm over the moon.

17.We would be remiss if we didn't ask, since we're a collector based site...any more new characters
    coming up in the pages of Immortal Hulk?

Yes! Well, new versions of old favorites - but take a look at #16, #17 and #18 - that should be the zone to find out more.

18.Guilt and Resentment are also themes explored in Immortal Hulk. Will we see Rick Jones again?

We absolutely will! In fact, if you've been checking out upcoming Alex Ross covers, you'll see he plays a big role from #16 onwards.

19.What can we expect from the Immortal Hulk in No Road Home?

It's not quite as horrific - NO ROAD HOME is an epic, bombastic superhero action story, not a dark exploration of the human soul. But Hulk's still the same "immortal" character - the same snarling, violent, terrifying monster readers have learned to love to hate to love - only his surroundings have changed. It's a lot of fun plugging someone like that into a very different kind of story.

20.Lastly, many of us at Noir believe there hasn't been a significant shift in the character since Pak's Planet Hulk.
    Immortal Hulk is just that. What would you like to tell your readers about what they can expect in the future?

Well, speaking of Greg, he's taking on our version of Hulk in HULKVERINES, and it's fascinating to see - I've read issue #1, and I couldn't have asked for better... or creepier. As for what readers can expect in the future - we're going to keep things shifting. We'll keep pulling the rug out from under you, giving you what you don't expect. And most of all, we're aiming to keep up the quality and keep people talking - roll on the best of 2019 lists!

Thanks Al for your valued time with us at Noir. Hopefully, we can do another contest one day!

Daniel Wilgren
    NOIR

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#129 morpheus_  Moderator

Nice interview. They seem to have touched upon most topics thoroughly - and after looking up sales for the duration of Immortal Hulk's release, even that aspect should grant them the freedom to keep on going even after #25, as Ewing intends. Curious about Pak's interpretation of Immortal Hulk - he's such a huge fan of the character that I'm sure he'll be up to date, though.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By IntoTheVoid

@morpheus_: That's the part i like the most, the fact that Al mentioned that they give him complete freedom over the comic, to move in whatever direction he wants to. No noisy editors getting in the way, telling him to do a War of the Realms tie-in or some other tie in, nothing that he doesn't want. The No Road Home thing is it's own self contained adventure outside of the main book, so i am fine with that it doesn't take away from Al's story as long as he can keep doing stuff like that this book is in for the long run.

As for Pak. I am curious to see how he writes Immortal Hulk, he has mentioned to have taken notes from Al himself and even asked him how he thinks Hulk would act in various situations so i am sure he will do the character justice in that department.

However i gotta admit issue 3 solicitations have dissapointed me, because -SPOILERS- he turned Hulk and Logan into Hulkverines themselves... It feels lazy and uninspired, not to mention it kinda ruins the whole point of Immortal Hulk, to just turn him into a Weapon H clone. Hopefully Pak surprise me and it turns out to be a fun ride at least, but at the moment i am apprehensive about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_ said:

Nice interview. They seem to have touched upon most topics thoroughly - and after looking up sales for the duration of Immortal Hulk's release, even that aspect should grant them the freedom to keep on going even after #25, as Ewing intends. Curious about Pak's interpretation of Immortal Hulk - he's such a huge fan of the character that I'm sure he'll be up to date, though.

They're definitely going to keep going. Immortal Hulk has been hitting some serious sales in the past few months. It's also the first name to appear every time it's released, even over heavy hitters like spider-man. I'm also interested in Pak's version of the Immortal Hulk, especially since he hasn't touched the character in a while, so I wonder how he'll handle a version that's fundamentally different from his.

PlatinumThorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we've ever seen the true face of the One Below All OR the One Above All - and I'm not sure we ever will. I think they just "wear" an aspect for the occasion. That said, we do know that TOBA can only affect the world through a host personality - whether Brian will continue to act as his "face" after the events of #13 remains to be seen.

Lol, looks like Hulk doesn't actual 'beat' him in the traditional sense. RIP the people who thought he was powerful enough to do it.

I'm not sure what that comic would even look like! I have to assume that they're always "meeting" in some sense. Maybe that's the plot of every Marvel comic!

This is most interesting bit. Obviously he means the plot of every comic is 'good vs evil', but in a more meta sense this is basically confirmation that TOBA is also the personification of bad writing and plot contrivances if we take TOAA as the writer.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@platinumthorns: Lol, looks like Hulk doesn't actual 'beat' him in the traditional sense. RIP the people who thought he was powerful enough to do it.

What do you mean? Hulk nor anyone else for that matter is ever going to actually beat TOBA, i am not sure that is even possible. Not just because of his supposed power but the fact that what he represents is the sort of primal evil we can never get truly rid off.

This is most interesting bit. Obviously he means the plot of every comic is 'good vs evil', but in a more meta sense this is basically confirmation that TOBA is also the personification of bad writing and plot contrivances if we take TOAA as the writer.

This just leads from the first point, as i said i don't think TOBA is something that can ever actually be beaten in the comics, in the traditional sense. It's an omnipresent thing representing a much greater concept.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Supermanthor

Interesting interview

Gotta say Al is one of the most talented writer marvel has to offer right now

Between the crazy high concept like ultimates book to his down to earth character define immortal hulk book he is a vesitale writer

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another top notch issue man cant get enough of this book

PlatinumThorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm, the author of the thologly panels is an actual character after all. I doubt he's TOAA.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, the conversation between Hulk and Banner towards the ending was great. Its high to for writer to let Hulk embrace is other half instead of "Hulk hate banner" thing. Embrace your other half is the key to work together and accomplish great things in comic wise though lol

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely amazing issue, Al even brought in some emotions to it we haven't seen or expected in a long time.

Damn this book is good, so much packed in a single comic.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for adm1ralsnackbar
    Adm1ralSnackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anti climatic ending. Just meh all around.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: It wont get a new turn, it will follow the same theme, it's just the arc shifts a little, future issues will focus more on characters around Hulk like Betty, Samson, Rick, etc...

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been reading the Hulk For years...don't quite recall a touching moment specifically between Banner and Hulk, not in recent years anyway.
    Been reading the Hulk For years...don't quite recall a touching moment specifically between Banner and Hulk, not in recent years anyway.

Absolutely amazing issue, Al even brought in some emotions to it we haven't seen or expected in a long time.

Damn this book is good, so much packed in a single comic.

You can say that again. I didn't expect things to get emotional.

I absolutely love this series. Also, is anyone hoping that Creel would be a recurring character? There was an odd moment when he and the Hulk had a mutual understanding of sorts, and this experience seemed to have caused some growth in him.

Hope Marvel doesn't just pretend this didn't happen.

IntoTheVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Yea i think we will be seeing more of Creel and it looks like Titania might be involved as well, they'll join the Alpha Flight it would seem.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Hulk indeed has grown. He has looked past the "Hulk hate banner. Banner is weak" thing. Hulk has evolved past that shit. I hope it stays consistent. Marvel should be careful of the writer they'll use in writing Hulk in future. Al Ewing is the only writer that is capable of doing Hulk justice

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: It will get a new turn on base on the fact that Betty and Samson will feature in next issue and beyond. As long as Al Ewing is writing it, I'm good. lol.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This book is so damn good it's legitmately mind blowing, I haven't enjoyed a book this much and a writer/artist team this much since Tomasi and Gleason's Superman. So freakin good.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Supermanthor
    Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.