So why does Hulk usually beat Thor?

• 135 results
#101 Posted by whoisthebest (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

I came to the view that Hulk would mostly beat Thor because Hulk is more durable and his power set is tailor made for physical confrontations. Thor's tendency to duke it out with his foes only plays into Hulk's hands and Hulk's defence can outlast Thor's offence.

Thor is far more durable than Hulk is. Hulk has a much better healing factor than Thor however. For example adamantium bullets would bounce off Thor's skin while with a base level Hulk they may bruise him a little bit but he would instantaneously heal from them. Of course, when Hulk gets to world war hulk mode then the adamantium bullets bounce off him as well.

Also this idea that Thor is "vulnerable to physical blunt force attacks" is completely baseless. Do you have any examples whatsoever of Thor being "vulnerable to blunt force attacks"? This seems like a convenient attempt to put Thor in the same category as wonder woman just because both are Gods. Thor can tank adamantium bullets and weaponry so his blunt force/physical attack durability is undoubtedly very high level.

Also Hulk's healing factor should not be confused with his "defence". Defense is a mix of durability/healing factor. Hulk has a good healing factor, and good durability. Thor's healing factor is not as good as Hulks (however using Mjolnir he can heal broken limbs/wounds the same way Hulk can), however Thor's durability far exceeds Hulks durability.

Thor has plenty of times tanked planet busting attacks and above. His durability is on par with, maybe even superior to Superman. Hulk's durability is not comparable to superman or thor, but his healing factor is excellent.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
#102 Edited by AtheistKnowledge (9595 posts) - - Show Bio

@destinyman75: Peter David is a Hulk writer which has nothing to do with how much respect he gives to other characters, this is the same guy that had SS humiliate Hulk, so by your logic he shouldn't have done that because he is a Hulk fan. Yea except Thor tried to end that fight much earlier and failed to do so, regardless it's not a one-shot as you so falsely claimed in the first place. On the other hand Hulk has one-shot Thor on a couple of occasions.

#103 Posted by destinyman75 (15139 posts) - - Show Bio

@atheistknowledge: Failed because of Perters poor writing, Don't agree peter David obviously trolled Thor in that book I burnt it it was so stupid and false to anything that should have been are kidding me a nuke takes out a guy who withstands far more and simaler before he totally no showed that part of the story I almost bought another to burn it all over again. SS would normally humiliate hulk so that doesn't seem relevant to me. And yes that was a ones shot clearly but ok I guess. So this one

No Caption Provided

When thor ends it he ends it when stop playing stupid. But I like Hulk and actually She hulk is one of my favs and any hulk thor battle should be classic and close in my opinion

#104 Posted by AtheistKnowledge (9595 posts) - - Show Bio

@destinyman75: First off calm down, how much off i child do you have to be to actually burn a book because a writer did something you disagree with? Nobody got taken out by a nuke there and calling Peter David a poor writer is nothing short of laughable. The point is if Peter David wanted to he could have had Hulk beat SS but he didn't, despite the fact that he likes Hulk a lot more then SS he respects power levels and he showed how he views SS and Hulk respectively. That scan is from a what if, which isn't canon, not only that but i know at least 3 examples where Hulk had his neck snapped and he survived so that wouldn't even work in the first place.

Thor tried ending the fight earlier and even in other fights he tried killing Hulk but failed to do so, again my point is that you falsely claimed Hulk got one-shotted when he didn't and using a non-canon scans that never actually happened don't help your case either, otherwise i could just as easily show this

No Caption Provided

but that would be pointless, so calm down and try not to burn anymore books lol.

#105 Posted by TheKinfing (11857 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread just got interesting.

#106 Posted by Battle123axe (9185 posts) - - Show Bio
#107 Posted by KrleAvenger (26182 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the most overrated characters ever against one of the most underrated characters ever. We'll go with that.

#108 Posted by destinyman75 (15139 posts) - - Show Bio

@atheistknowledge: lol first one is cannon but doesnt matter david did.job thor there how can you deny a nuke beating thor.isnt piss lol yeh no.more.burning. PD is usually good but not in that instance

#109 Edited by whoisthebest (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor exceeds Hulk in every category except lifting strength and healing factor.

Thor brawls Hulk out of fairness and respect and due to being raised in a noble fashion.

Basically, Thor massively holds back when he brawls with Hulk. He knows Hulk isn't a real enemy and is a close ally.

This is why you see him hold back massively whenever he goes up against Hulk, Hercules, Iron man, Spider man, and any heroes. Even some villains.

He's the most powerful superhero in all of Marvel Earth. Comics wouldn't be interesting if he went around mindlessly destroying everything. He's too powerful for these guys.

#110 Posted by GreenScar1990 (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it amusing and laughable that some people still cling to the delusion that Thor has always held back against the Hulk in their fights despite that, on numerous occasions, Thor himself stated not to be holding back any of his might when battling the Green Goliath.

#111 Posted by AtheistKnowledge (9595 posts) - - Show Bio

@atheistknowledge: lol first one is cannon but doesnt matter david did.job thor there how can you deny a nuke beating thor.isnt piss lol yeh no.more.burning. PD is usually good but not in that instance

The first one is, the one with the neck break isn't. David didn't job Thor there, David never said Thor would die from the nuke it was the military that assumed they could kill both him and Hulk with the nuke which was obviously untrue since they did hit Hulk with it and he survived just fine.

#112 Posted by destinyman75 (15139 posts) - - Show Bio

@atheistknowledge: maybe it.looked to me when it said and blew.the thunder God away quote it seems to.insinuate thor being taken out which is so ridiculous but meh lol

#113 Posted by KrleAvenger (26182 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell mid tiers can tank nukes. Also Peter is awesome writer and does not humiliates other characters for Hulk to look good (unlike other Hulk writers). David should write the Hulk always. Not only he respects the power level of other characters but his stories are not about Hulk Smash/Hulk tank/Hulk heal. Hulk Had awesome stories during David's run.

#114 Edited by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio
#115 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Burned a book cuz didn't agree with writer ??!? Hahaha priceless =,)

Thor is fodder to hulk, nuff said.

#116 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16443 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he likes to physically confront the Hulk while forgeting all his other advantages and playing in Hulk´s own game, Thor will have a very hard time beating the Hulk that way, however, if he decides to go smart about it and engage physically only if necessary while using ranged attacks and lightnings, he should beat Hulk for a solid majority.

#117 Posted by dami24434 (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he holds back on earth, there is reason thor is like earth final defence unlike hulk, thor is the one that took on phoenix force , that made galactus flee.

Funny enough, thor can easily take away hulk 's gamma energy without fighting him. Its all bad writing , still:thor will always win in debates.

#118 Edited by GreenScar1990 (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

*Rolls eyes after reading the last 2 posts*

#119 Posted by Mjolnir_ (6 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

King Thor without Odinforce, without Mjolnir and with one hand killed Hulk and Thing at a same time.

Any thing else?

#120 Posted by HaveAtThee (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel usually has left their fights ending inconclusively. Even Stan Lee always wanted ambiguity about "Who Would Win?" in their battles. Some writers (who are also fans) would have Hulk gaining the upper hand, some would favor Thor. Generally, since Shooter was fired in the late eighties that Hulk's anger would eventually push his strength above Thor's. Just raw strength not overall power. I think since that period it's sort of regarded by a good amount at Marvel that Hulk is physically a bit stronger than Thor, but Thor is more powerful overall thanks to his powers as a god. Whereas since they both debuted in 1962 until around 87-88, Hulk was physically equal to Thor once he got angry (i.e. Defenders #10) but Thor was just generally overall more powerful (and would be compared to Silver Surfer as Marvel's most powerful hero overall sometimes).

They'll obviously never conclusively state who is stronger or who would outright win a fight (which would realistically end in death) 'cause it'll forever be a fun argument among the fans.

#121 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel usually has left their fights ending inconclusively. Even Stan Lee always wanted ambiguity about "Who Would Win?" in their battles. Some writers (who are also fans) would have Hulk gaining the upper hand, some would favor Thor. Generally, since Shooter was fired in the late eighties that Hulk's anger would eventually push his strength above Thor's. Just raw strength not overall power. I think since that period it's sort of regarded by a good amount at Marvel that Hulk is physically a bit stronger than Thor, but Thor is more powerful overall thanks to his powers as a god. Whereas since they both debuted in 1962 until around 87-88, Hulk was physically equal to Thor once he got angry (i.e. Defenders #10) but Thor was just generally overall more powerful (and would be compared to Silver Surfer as Marvel's most powerful hero overall sometimes).

They'll obviously never conclusively state who is stronger or who would outright win a fight (which would realistically end in death) 'cause it'll forever be a fun argument among the fans.

#122 Posted by HaveAtThee (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I think where Thor and Hulk fans should come together is the fact that they're both routinely nerfed for the sake of street-level characters.

I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok and I haven't read any spoilers. I do know those who've seen it have said the Thor/Hulk fight was entertaining and ended somewhat inconclusively. One poster said that they both show off their incredible power (comparable to Superman and Wonder Woman striking ability). I think we're going to see both of them look far superior to their Avenger teammates.

#123 Posted by Puny_Banner (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's stronger.

#124 Posted by theacidskull (22027 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:
@haveatthee said:

Amen.

At this point I'd rather have them as friendly rivals/friends like they were in Avengers EHM, or even in Avengers Assemble. As bad as the latter was, it got some stuff right.

#125 Posted by SladerAcer (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers want to make plot interesting. Thor should be able to beat Hulk in every encounter when he has his hammer. Without it Thor is toast.

#126 Posted by JamesWayne (992 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: agreed. they would never show it. one would have to be amped, eg odin force or world war/breaker only then would they give an answer, which would inherently be conditional.

#127 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: EMH is the gold standard for the Thor/Hulk rivalry outside of the comics for me. Avengers Assemble is too childish and kiddy but I admit they have a lot of fun with the Thor/Hulk rivalry as well.

#128 Posted by Battle123axe (9185 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:
@haveatthee said:

Amen.

At this point I'd rather have them as friendly rivals/friends like they were in Avengers EHM, or even in Avengers Assemble. As bad as the latter was, it got some stuff right.

This

Avatar image for masterskywalker
#129 Posted by MasterSkywalker (3609 posts) - - Show Bio

Outside of the Hickman instance, there's never been much of a clear advantage one has had over the other

#130 Posted by HaveAtThee (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw Ragnarok. The film itself was.....meh.

The Thor/Hulk relationship was pleasantly surprising, though. I thought it was both fun and endearing, I only wish it was explored a bit further.

The fight itself was just fun to see on a big screen. Two mega powerhouses going at it. Both were given respect and both respect the other's power.

One thing is clear though. Unless Vision is shown to cut loose in Infinity War (as well as Strange and maybe Wanda), Thor and Hulk are clearly leagues beyond their teammates in terms of overall power.

#131 Posted by endcomicverse (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: i refer to fear itself. hulk is given a mystical hammer (maling him hulk breaker of worlds) giving him even more power. thor fought hulk and thing (breaker of men) at the same time. thor effectively killed thor and he fought hulk to a stand still where he said "i can't beat you. i never could" then he knocked hulk into orbit for the umpteenth time. so i marvel but it's BS. hulk wins when they feel like it. thor btw is not really in the top 25 percent tho. he's not even in the top 10 earth born characters unless we are talking straight physical non mystical strength.Even then there are earthers stronger.

you want top teir look at sentry, owen reese and Dr Doom. off world Thanos, galatus, lord order and his brother, captain marvel and adam warlock

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e
#132 Posted by deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e (732 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason Hulk beats Thor (well upper hand at the end since their fights rarely get to result), from what I understand, is that Thor always fights hulk with physical strikes, which is Hulk's department. He never uses Mjolnir's full strength also since it's against his morals, while using some occasional casual lightning strikes. Since they get into a physical brawl, hulk gets stronger the more fight drags on, while Thor at the same time gets weaker and tired. And so Hulk gains a clear upper hand. Unless you are someone who is >> Hulk in physical strength, you rarely could beat him in that, much less if you drag the brawl for long.

#133 Posted by SuperGoku17 (7220 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he likes to physically confront the Hulk while forgeting all his other advantages and playing in Hulk´s own game, Thor will have a very hard time beating the Hulk that way, however, if he decides to go smart about it and engage physically only if necessary while using ranged attacks and lightnings, he should beat Hulk for a solid majority.

#134 Posted by GreenScar1990 (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the battles end in stalemate because when it all comes down to it, Hulk and Thor are equal in over all power. Hulk 's abilities and powerset allow him to be too much for Thor in hand-to-hand combat. But thanks to all the powers and abilities Thor receives from Mjolnir, it levels the playing field between the two.

#135 Posted by Bonecrasher (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is more popular with kids so he is favoured more by writers. As long as his action figures are outselling Thor fugures then so it shall be.

#136 Posted by Azmoddan (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@bonecrasher: Exactly, that's why Spiderman also beats Thor and the rest of the Marvel universe, oh wait...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.