Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Should Hulk talk more in movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

In the first two Hulk movies and in "The Avengers" Hulk had spoken very little. Here are the only words he spoke:

2003 Hulk: "Puny human, "Take it all"

2008 Hulk: "Leave me alone", "Hulk smash", "Betty"

Ruffalo Hulk: "Puny god"

Some people think Hulk should talk more. Because in the comics, that's always been the case. More words = more personality, so it is said. This is a double-edged sword: On one hand he would have more personality and on the other hand that could reduce his personality. What works in comics does not necessarily work in film. Hulk is a maverick character, he only appears when he is angry (or under enormous stress, pain etc.) and is only doing what he thinks is right. An attempted compromise could lead to a smash. When he talks all the time and tries to discuss everything, then there is the risk that he is no longer taken seriously by the audience. Where he says: "No, I do not want", he might roar or smash something. It is his childlike, defiant behavior and low intelligence that makes him the Hulk. A few words will not change anything, conversations or discussions would.

What do you think? Should Hulk talk more in movies?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

He also said 'HULK SMASH!' in 2008.

As for the talking: I'd be a fan of a Hulk with a bit more personality. I'm not talking extensive conversation, but a Hulk who actually has an opinion to contribute could be interesting. Take a note from Planet Hulk/World War Hulk.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am torn on this, I like Hulk being the "quite" butt kicker, but I also think he needs to talk more. I think his lines in the Avengers played very well. He's almost like a classic western character who let their actions speak for them and when they spoke it was short and sweet, alia "Puny god". One of the best Hulk scenes in Avengers was when he punched Thor in the fight for New York.

Granted that works in an ensemble movie where you have multiple head line characters, but for his own movie he's going to need to talk more.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

'hulk smash', 'leave me alone' is enough hulk talk for me. hell, i'll settle for the 1st one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: Thank you, I've almost forgotten it.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bogey

The Hulk character is basically a mentally retarded child. The less he speaks, the better.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fifthchild

If they want to make more Hulk movies then yes he needs to speak, have discernible and reasonably sophisticated motivations, goals etc. Otherwise Banner becomes the protagonist and you are pretty heavily restricted in the types of stories you can tell.

However given that this approach probably saves Marvel about $100 million per film in CGI its understandable that they arent that keen to go in that direction. Im interested to see where Whedon goes with the character in Avengers 2 however.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.