Infinity Guantlet Q

#1 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

..Was reading through a copy of the Infinity Guantlet yesterday and it struck me that Hulk had a fairly minor role in that story. In fact, it was Thor who almost got the killing blow in on Thanos at one point (before being turned to glass) and had a fairly major role in the end part smacking him out into space.

So I am assuming that back in the 80s, Thor was being written as more powerful than Hulk?

Certainly it seems something changed between then and when Greg Pak got involved with Hulk and Thor went through his dodgy spell in the 1990s, early 00s comics. From memory, I think Walter Simonsen was on his mega Thor run when Guantlet was written, but I may be wrong.

Certainly true that Hulk appeared much tougher when he encountered Thanos in the more recent Infinity storyline than the Guantlet!

#2 Posted by Thedailybagel (12924 posts) - - Show Bio

Back then they were potrayed as almost physical equals, let alone factoring Thor's other abilities. It wasn't until the early 2000s where hulk was recognised as stronger, and he also gained a healing factor, and then of course there was the amp on sakaar and what not. Hulk has just become outright more powerful over the years.

#3 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, its fairly obvious Thor was seen as the biggest hope when tackling Thanos back then, whereas Hulk was just a side show who got in a few punches and nothing much else.

I thought Hulk had his healing factor way back, however, although like wolverine's it got stronger in recent decades.

#4 Posted by kgb725 (19680 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: Wasn't the Surfer the last hope ?

#5 Posted by Thedailybagel (12924 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: he did and he didn't depending on how you look at it. When he was being published back then he was pretty much invulnerable, but wolverine got popular and people liked him fighting hulk, so they retconned wolverine being unable to cut him before as he just didn't notice hurting him because he had a healing factor.

#6 Edited by Spambot (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

Simonson's run ended in 87-88 while IG didn't come out until about 91 or 92 I think. That wasn't actually the real Thor in IG either, it was Eric Masterson.

#7 Posted by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk was always stronger than Thor.I think they only tried back then to make Masterson/Thor more popular to the audiences....

#8 Posted by Spambot (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

@spulk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgIfpb5NHY Stan Lee saying he created Thor to be both stronger and more powerful than Hulk and everyone else. You'll have to take it up with Stan if you disagree.

#9 Edited by Overmonitor (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's your answer: GAUNTLET* not guantlet.

JK.

Thanos still wrecked. They may have been pushing Thor in the 80's. I know classic Thor is sick. Now he's dead, unworthy, armless, and Doom made his powers a novelty. Now Thors die left and right on Battleworld. He also was left out of WWH.

They may be pushing Hulk, but more likely they just stopped having him job and started writing better stories and enemies for him, along with developing the personality beyond classic savage Hulk.

#10 Posted by Battle123axe (9394 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: good point, but he also said things have changed since then, and it is a matter of who likes who more.

#11 Posted by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: Hulk is mortal.Thor is a God.There's a difference.When Lee and Kirby created Hulk to suprass the most powerful being on this planet they had to create a God...Hulk doesn't need a hammer to be strong,only his fists....I think issues like Thor # 385 and Hulk # 300 are the best examples of who's the most strongest one there is!!! ;-)

#12 Edited by Spambot (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

@spulk: In Thor 385 Thor fought Hulk to a stalemate even without his hammer.

#13 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: Thor was stronger relative to Hulk back then. The Hulk annual 2001 is a better guide to their more recent encounters. The writer said it was too close to call....

#14 Posted by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: That's why Hulk humiliate him......

#15 Posted by Spambot (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

@spulk: Not sure what you are referring to. Hulk dared Thor to fight him without his hammer(which seems to infer that Hulk knew he couldn't beat him when he has it) and then Thor proceeded to stalemate Hulk using only his fists. I have that issue and recently read it.

#16 Edited by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: I have it also and all I could see is Thor humiliated by Hulk(even if it's the Green incarnation he seems like a bit of Grey/Fixit Hulk)...Without his hammer Thor is not a serious opponent..

Also remember the animated Hulk vs Thor....

#17 Posted by Spambot (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

@spulk: lol. Of course that's what you saw. He fought him to a stalemate before Hulk left because he claimed he wasn't angry anymore. I don't watch the animated stuff and it has no bearing whatsoever on the comics. You should know that.

#18 Posted by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: It's not what I saw,but what everyone read that issue saw or saw the animated movie..No bearing??Not even the movies(Avengers 1)have no bearing??The only God in the Marvel universe that perhaps is stronger than Hulk is Odin...(and Zeus maybe)

#19 Edited by Spambot (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

@spulk: The movies and cartoons are seperate from the comics and have no bearing on them when discussing power levels of characters. Its always been that way and always will. The only thing that Thor issue really proved is that Hulk is scared of Thor with Mjolnir. Hulk cries so Thor will throw it away(after Thor was pounding him pretty good) then when it comes back Hulk says 'No, not the hammer!' and leaves after that. I will admit that Hulk was getting the better of the h2h fight towards the end but for the most part they were just exchanging blows throughout.

#20 Posted by Supi (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: Thor is a very strong God.

Hulk is the strongest mortal.

We grew up reading their stories...We were there to their triumphs and tragedies...And we'll continue to be ;-)

'Nuff said!!

#21 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk isn't always scared of Thor with his hammer.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.